High Level Input VS Low Level

Good day to all,

I currently own a SMSL AD18 and I paired them with the Audioengine P4. Sounds great! Now I want to add a sub. I am only using it for my 2.1 System, so no movies, only music. I am listening to Trance, Dance, Electro, Hip-Hop, Dubstep, Hardstyle, Chillwave, like all Kind of bassy music =)

I have two options:

Low Level

High Level

What sounds best?

What is better?

Advantages of both?

Disadvantages of both?

I hope someone can help me because the amount of high Level Input subs is not that great and if I have one it's kinda expensive. Like 500€+ expensive.

I saw two subs and that is the Klipsch SW12 Low Level only, and the Yamaha ns-300sw, both low Level and high Level. I really prefer the Yamaha.

What do you guys think.

Any other Subs are welcome =)

There is no significant difference to high or low level inputs. However, it's worth mentioning that high level will require the sub to filter the low and pass through the highs. It also requires the signal is fed into the sub (2 sets of wires) and then from the sub to the speakers (2 more sets of wires). It's a bit annoying in my opinion, but not a deal breaker.

Low level inputs will require a source device to run a low pass filter to feed into the sub. My preference is the low level inputs, but that's only because it's fewer wires. And the filtering in the source device is likely to be better than the sub. But I am truly splitting hairs here.

In the price range you're looking, there is no difference. If you like the Yamaha, go for it. It's rated down to 20 Hz with a 10 inch woofer and 250w amp... heh... marketing... But it does have a side firing flared port, which does provide better transition of acoustics than straight rear ported (like on the Klipsch). You will notice little to no port noise (or chuffing). 

Thanks for your quick reply. I just got a deal for a SVS SB-2000, I probably going to take that one :D

32 minutes ago, Buurvrouw said:

Thanks for your quick reply. I just got a deal for a SVS SB-2000, I probably going to take that one :D

HA Yeeeeeeeeeah that's a significantly better option than the others you mentioned.

Good find!

they are like the creme the la creme under the Subs! Cool that I got a deal on that. I hope they ship the SB and not the PB, but the PB isn's bad aswel.

The Thing was, the order showed a Picture of the PB and the order was for the SB. I wrote the seller a message, let's see what I get, if I don't Forget it, I will write a message here about it :D

am pretty excited!

btw are you the guy to talk to about crossover? My P4's goes as low (advertised) as 58Hz. What is the crossover for the sub? 65Hz?

3 minutes ago, Buurvrouw said:

btw are you the guy to talk to about crossover? My P4's goes as low (advertised) as 58Hz. What is the crossover for the sub? 65Hz?

I believe you set the crossover. Typically the source device has a setting you can adjust, or you can set it on the subwoofer directly. There is usually a knob on the back that goes from 40 to 150 Hz. In your case I would set the crossover between 60 to 80 Hz.

Oke, thanks, yea the sub has a knob. I don't think the AD18 has such a settings ^^

Another question. =)

Is it bad not to crossover my 2 Speakers? Or is it oke the way it is?

Setup would be: 2 not crossovered speakers and one crossovered Sub @70Hz

Was thinking about a crossover between the amp and the Speakers, but what Kind do I Need, passive or active?

The AD18 doesn't have a crossover function build in, unfortunately..

• 2 weeks later...
On 24.5.2018 at 8:56 PM, JohnT said:

I believe you set the crossover. Typically the source device has a setting you can adjust, or you can set it on the subwoofer directly. There is usually a knob on the back that goes from 40 to 150 Hz. In your case I would set the crossover between 60 to 80 Hz.

Yo, I got the SB-1000 and that this is a monster! Sounds like in the club here in my living room xD Got it like used new for a 150€ less then new :D

On 5/24/2018 at 12:34 PM, Buurvrouw said:

Setup would be: 2 not crossovered speakers and one crossovered Sub @70Hz

This would be fine in my opinion for two speaker set up. As you mentioned, your speakers are rated down to 65 Hz so I think 70 Hz crossover will work.

4 hours ago, Buurvrouw said:

Yo, I got the SB-1000 and that this is a monster! Sounds like in the club here in my living room xD Got it like used new for a 150€ less then new :D

Congrats! That's a really decent price for a good, sealed sub! Man now you have me wondering if I should visit SVS's outlet center and buy one for myself.

On ‎6‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 3:38 PM, JohnT said:

This would be fine in my opinion for two speaker set up. As you mentioned, your speakers are rated down to 65 Hz so I think 70 Hz crossover will work.

Congrats! That's a really decent price for a good, sealed sub! Man now you have me wondering if I should visit SVS's outlet center and buy one for myself.

Thanks =) I can really recommend that one!

do you have knowledge about building your own passive high pass?