Outraged by the implementation of Women in Battlefield 5

Agonizel
Go to solution Solved by Agonizel,
1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

It feels out of place and forced, and I think most people feel that way.

The thing is, a lot of people such as myself - a battlefield fan - didn't care and it didn't felt out of place and forced. Why is that?
The discussion is in WHY does it feel out of place and forced for some people?

I explained it in my post and I'm gonna develop it explicitly again because there are various psychological phenomenons at work here and I could cite some for you:
1. Status Quo bias: people prefer when things remain the same. In BF5's case, they obviously changed something
2. Norms & Values: The discomfort of transgressed norms, not only that, but the expression of it. In fact, a during a very recent study of the university of ULB (I assisted to the lecture last month) the discrimination of LGBT people at work: in short, there was a theory that could be inducted with the data gathered: People that transgress the norm are not discriminated because they transgressed it, but because they show that they transgressed.

For instance, you get records of such conversations: "I hate muslim/gay people!" -"Well, I'm actually muslim/gay" -"Oh, you're okay because we don't notice it"
In case of BF5, they flagantry transgressed the norm of by presenting a woman as the new face of the game
3. The cognitive dissonance: which is the state of having inconsistent thoughts, beliefs, or attitudes: It's an extremely strong psychological state in which people won't accept their own incoherence (it's actually part of a defense mechanism to preserve self-integrity and thereby mental sanity), that's why even the most developed arguments won't even work.

No one wants to be sexist because it's socially undesirable. I believe many of the people complaining about the woman in the game also believe in equality between genders and women's rights. I believe they do not mean to be demeaning to women in any way. BUT the incoherence I exposed in the sole argument brought by those people which complains about historical inaccuracy (...):

1. Battlefield never pretended (in any game) to be historically accurate
2. There are many other bigger inaccuracies that didn't bother people that much

(...) shows that, the outrage may actually be (intended or not) sexism deflected (by the cognitive dissonance) behind the curtain of "historical accuracy". Because they ofcourse don't mean to be sexist, but they need to find a thing ("historical inaccuracy) to blame their discomfort on.

I'm sure there are many other phenomenons such as the lack of the ability of decentring which means being able to step outside of one's own truisms, cognitive scheme and preconceived, culturally anchored thoughts and ideas.

All in all, the status quo bias, norm&values, the cognitive dissonance are the main psychological phenomenons (I could observe in the people commenting against of the implementation of women in the game) that could explain their discomfort and the reason why they oppose this change. 

This is my last comment for this thread.

Message added by SansVarnic

Please remember the Community Standards when commenting.

Any derailment, political comments, name calling, baiting, etc will be met with removal of commentary and warnings issued.

This topic is a contested issue so lets remain civil with this discussion.

13 minutes ago, mr moose said:

what you are describing is not mansplaining, He is ignorant and he just happens to be a man. What you are describing is basically just sexism.  You don't have to be a man to be sexists or ignorant.  the term mansplaining highlights a gender insinuating that gender is the cause of the ignorance/sexism.  It is totally made up, there are other words and crimes that describe such behavior without nailing it to one gender.

I agree - but that's what people call "mansplaining". The insinuation is that it's more common for a man to do it to a woman, because of inherent systemic sexism, the "patriarchy", etc.

And in Western Society, there's certainly some merit to that - but it's definitely not exclusive to men against women (though Men also face systemic sexism in other areas).

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Most of the internet right now

steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net.jpg

I already preordered the deluxe edition, but thats because I enjoy playing battlefield. Everyone needs to chill the f out.

2 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

I agree - but that's what people call "mansplaining". The insinuation is that it's more common for a man to do it to a woman, because of inherent systemic sexism, the "patriarchy", etc.

And in Western Society, there's certainly some merit to that - but it's definitely not exclusive to men against women (though Men also face systemic sexism in other areas).

It's that insinuation that makes it a made up crime.  We already have a name for it, call it that. The need to add a gender to the name of an offense talks more about the mindset of the accuser. it highlights that the person thinks it's an inherent flaw of being male and thus because of it's generic nature can be used on anyone people disagree with making them look sexist.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

6 hours ago, mr moose said:

Nah, there is no such thing as mansplaiing.  It's another of those made up things that people use to make some look guilty of sexism where none exists.

If some one needs something explained to them its because they don't understand not because of their sex,  the whole concept of mansplaining makes it sound like woman don't inherently need anything explained, and that attempting to educate them is sexist.  If people cant see what is wrong with that then they deserve the dystopian BS future we are getting.

(I was mocking the term since the Dice dev seems like one of those people that would use it.)

11 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

But the opposite can be true too, where, say, hypothetically, a female explains how to clean a toilet to a man, simply because he's a man and she assumes (perhaps incorrectly) that he must not know how to do it.

Even more likely, something having to do with the care of children.

33773368_2198306653518577_7072255391983206400_n.jpg.08bdaf80a9c00fc1bb1e25ebd0838b8e.jpg

Sexist Battlefield V pay gap.

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

If Dices marketing team hadn't put any character along with the title I think they would've been fine, the trailer showed us more than enough of who and what. Putting 4 characters on the title screen makes this feel like a COD Zombies DLC trailer than a Battlefield title.

'IM THE VIDEO GAME BOY, IM THE ONE WHO WINS' - Arin Hanson

Always controversy isn't there, does it really matter? I just like playing games as long as they're good

1 hour ago, Voids said:

Always controversy isn't there, does it really matter? I just like playing games as long as they're good

This is 2018. Everyone is offended by anything and everything. 

I just got done reading an article of Snapchat having a sexist environment because people would do push ups in between sitting. "This was too masculine and offended the girls"....even though they participated and push ups are only a man thing right???

Worlds fucked up and will only get worse. Ill just be like you and enjoy the game for what it is. 

On 2018-05-29 at 1:55 AM, Rune said:

Most of the internet right now

steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net.jpg

I already preordered the deluxe edition, but thats because I enjoy playing battlefield. Everyone needs to chill the f out.

Battlefield V: Kenji edition must happen

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

8 minutes ago, linustouchtips said:

Fixed

image.png.d9e8ab9b2be1bf96ccfb08b606fd1c31.png

All I can picture is the Doctor (David Tenant) with a Sonic screwdriver.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Trigger warnings for today's snowflakes:

1. I am going to refer to white people as Caucasians in the next paragraph.

2. I might let people know i personally only believe there are 2 genders.

3. There will be woman soldiers in the next version of battlefield. 

4. not everyone has the same IQ, some people are actually smarter and they may just be white males at that.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

On 5/28/2018 at 6:55 AM, matrix07012 said:

Battlefield V

DeMAwnoWkAE56qD.jpg.64119402e45c8b734d1b978c4a1216fb.jpg

So basically the beaches on the English side of the Channel leading up to D-Day.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

16 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

All I can picture is the Doctor (David Tenant) with a Sonic screwdriver.

all i can picture is Mary Poppins

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

TBH, as long as they aren't advertising it as a "historically-accurate" game I'm totally fine with it looking at you sledgehammer games

If they are, then I can only say that only the french women in the french resistance & the soviet women were known to fight against the nazis. Any women from other countries were either in the back of the battlefield as medics or some other job

Edited by Theminecraftaddict555
typos everywhere

Don't call me a nerd, it makes me look slightly smarter than you

@Sauron @Beer_Nontitju @Syntaxvgm @Cookybiscuit @Misanthrope

Cardboard cutout corporate pandering from AAA game studio gets lauded as noble by a bunch of dweebs who call any disagreement/criticism sexist. NEXT.

Really doesn't make sense why they didn't just make her Russian, or French, or add any context whatsoever to the train-wreck Michael Bay trailer. I bet they did in fact know the media storm it could create and that's a major reason for it.

Character customization is a multiplayer game trend to sell you cosmetics and they're actually doing it for money under the guise of feminism. Maybe some stupid individual kool-aid drinking developers actually believe historical revisionism isn't as cringey as it looks, but the marketing/publishing side of the industry is using this moment purely as a tool to fill their wallets. And they get applause for doing so! How brave they are! Compelling story set in the eastern front or in China/Japan? Nope, but now you can play as someone with a vagina and also please spend money on this hook arm and gun skins after purchasing our super deluxe $120 edition of a game you've already played 2 years ago!

When a developer is literally going "I'm engaging in historical revisionism because talking to my daughter about real stuff is hard" on Reddit, the franchise really should just die. The games have always been romps, but this is straight political pandering. Women in the US/Britain weren't allowed in front line combat roles. A one armed Brit with face paint running around the battlefield is just the cherry on top of the ADHD fest of a trailer. I didn't play BF1 because the weapons were outlandish for the time period, and now they're making a WW2 game right after finishing one. They had a chance to apply some tact in BF1, and they had their chance to authentically place women in modern military positions in BF3 + 4.

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

@ThatGuyWhoTwirlsHisPen as opposed to historical revisionism because we feel like it, like 99% of the rest of any battlefield game and many other critically acclaimed titles that didn't commit the one cardinal sin of having a woman in them. Wolfenstein the new order is an excellent game despite getting virtually nothing "historically correct" about ww2 - and yet when battlefield tries to change something as relatively small as having a female combatant, riots ensue. I said multiple times I consider the battlefield franchise to have gone down the drain years ago, but I find it incredibly hypocritical to suddenly bash it specifically because it now has women in it and claim it's because of historical accuracy.

Your whole argument is based upon the vague idea that this might be political, without giving a single good reason for why THIS time in particular we should care about historical accuracy in a battlefield game, and ONLY as far as the presence of a woman is concerned. So what if was done to appeal to a previously largely uninterested crowd? It has nothing to do with the gameplay (especially when it comes to the multiplayer which is all anyone cares about) and if it makes even a single person happy, why would you care? (retorical question, I already know why you care... but apparently calling someone who acts sexist sexist is not allowed...)

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

video game devs can do whatever they want with their game

doesn't mean you have to support it and there is certainly nothing you can do about it

sorry

OFF TOPIC: I suggest every poll from now on to have "**CK EA" option instead of "Other"

Idk why someone's armchair psychology theory was put as the best answer for this when it's completely wrong. Me thinks they are just projecting. 

4 hours ago, Sauron said:

@ThatGuyWhoTwirlsHisPen as opposed to historical revisionism because we feel like it, like 99% of the rest of any battlefield game and many other critically acclaimed titles that didn't commit the one cardinal sin of having a woman in them. Wolfenstein the new order is an excellent game despite getting virtually nothing "historically correct" about ww2 - and yet when battlefield tries to change something as relatively small as having a female combatant, riots ensue. I said multiple times I consider the battlefield franchise to have gone down the drain years ago, but I find it incredibly hypocritical to suddenly bash it specifically because it now has women in it and claim it's because of historical accuracy.

Your whole argument is based upon the vague idea that this might be political, without giving a single good reason for why THIS time in particular we should care about historical accuracy in a battlefield game, and ONLY as far as the presence of a woman is concerned. So what if was done to appeal to a previously largely uninterested crowd? It has nothing to do with the gameplay (especially when it comes to the multiplayer which is all anyone cares about) and if it makes even a single person happy, why would you care? (retorical question, I already know why you care... but apparently calling someone who acts sexist sexist is not allowed...)

It could also be why there is a female in it at all as a cripple British soldier and the answer to that is toxic SJW's. 

CPU: 6700K Case: Corsair Air 740 CPU Cooler: H110i GTX Storage: 2x250gb SSD 960gb SSD PSU: Corsair 1200watt GPU: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 RAM: 16gb DDR4 

Other Stuffs: Red sleeved cables, White LED lighting 2 noctua fans on cpu cooler and Be Quiet PWM fans on case.

41 minutes ago, MadyTehWolfie said:

It could also be why there is a female in it at all as a cripple British soldier and the answer to that is toxic SJW's. 

That or a progrssive world where appealing to a wider crowd with cool costumizations is a way to gain extra money. Besides I dont think they had justice warriors on they back. Was there any indication of that?

Wasnt there a weeb sword shown in the trailer and noone reacted to that? Correct me if im wrong

15 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

That or a progrssive world where appealing to a wider crowd with cool costumizations is a way to gain extra money. Besides I dont think they had justice warriors on they back. Was there any indication of that?

Wasnt there a weeb sword shown in the trailer and noone reacted to that? Correct me if im wrong

Oh I still have plenty of things to say about the week sword on a British soldier. But this thread is about the wamenz. 

CPU: 6700K Case: Corsair Air 740 CPU Cooler: H110i GTX Storage: 2x250gb SSD 960gb SSD PSU: Corsair 1200watt GPU: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 RAM: 16gb DDR4 

Other Stuffs: Red sleeved cables, White LED lighting 2 noctua fans on cpu cooler and Be Quiet PWM fans on case.

17 minutes ago, MadyTehWolfie said:

Oh I still have plenty of things to say about the week sword on a British soldier. But this thread is about the wamenz. 

ah, ok then. ive not heard any reaction from the general media at least. i can see why people somewhat reacted to there  being a crippled woman in the trailer. didnt know it was gonna be such a dealbreaker though considering it is battlefield and not ARMA 3 or Post Scriptum. 

would be sad if only certain countries could have women. when it comes to prostetics its cool customization, but otherwise it is kinda meh. (IMO)

8 hours ago, ThatGuyWhoTwirlsHisPen said:

@Sauron @Beer_Nontitju @Syntaxvgm @Cookybiscuit @Misanthrope

Cardboard cutout corporate pandering from AAA game studio gets lauded as noble by a bunch of dweebs who call any disagreement/criticism sexist. NEXT.

Really doesn't make sense why they didn't just make her Russian, or French, or add any context whatsoever to the train-wreck Michael Bay trailer. I bet they did in fact know the media storm it could create and that's a major reason for it.

Character customization is a multiplayer game trend to sell you cosmetics and they're actually doing it for money under the guise of feminism. Maybe some stupid individual kool-aid drinking developers actually believe historical revisionism isn't as cringey as it looks, but the marketing/publishing side of the industry is using this moment purely as a tool to fill their wallets. And they get applause for doing so! How brave they are! Compelling story set in the eastern front or in China/Japan? Nope, but now you can play as someone with a vagina and also please spend money on this hook arm and gun skins after purchasing our super deluxe $120 edition of a game you've already played 2 years ago!

When a developer is literally going "I'm engaging in historical revisionism because talking to my daughter about real stuff is hard" on Reddit, the franchise really should just die. The games have always been romps, but this is straight political pandering. Women in the US/Britain weren't allowed in front line combat roles. A one armed Brit with face paint running around the battlefield is just the cherry on top of the ADHD fest of a trailer. I didn't play BF1 because the weapons were outlandish for the time period, and now they're making a WW2 game right after finishing one. They had a chance to apply some tact in BF1, and they had their chance to authentically place women in modern military positions in BF3 + 4.

I appreciate you tagging me, it makes it easier for me to em...update some settings I need to update now.

-------

Current Rig

-------

5 hours ago, Sauron said:

We know this is at least partially political because we see the exact same shrieking going on in other forms of entertainment of leftist identitarians* demanding content producers bow to their every whim and when they don't they attack them and attempt to destroy them.

http://monsterhunternation.com/2018/05/01/further-examples-of-why-in-my-opinion-mike-glyer-is-a-scumbag-and-file-770-is-evil/

http://monsterhunternation.com/2018/05/15/statement-concerning-my-being-disinvited-as-the-guest-of-honor-for-origins-game-fair/

http://monsterhunternation.com/2018/05/21/origins-debacle-update-they-still-havent-reimbursed-me-for-my-plane-tickets/

http://monsterhunternation.com/2018/05/30/origins-sent-out-yet-another-message-about-me-and-my-response/

As for Battlefield not being accurate, in point of fact it was always relatively time period accurate and the deviations from accuracy were meant to increase playability, at least until BF1. Now, in BF1 they did deviate marginally from this with the available weapons. Why? As an excuse to sell the season pass and attract more people to multiplayer during it. However even they they still gave the nod to historical accuracy in multiplayer because the only women available were Russian soldiers. They have now decided to toss historical accuracy entirely, and are using the leftist identitarians' demands as a shield to doing so. As I noted earlier in this thread, putting the prosthetic on the woman was a blatant marketing decision to help shield themselves from the fallout.

As for bringing W:TNO into this, that's complete bullshit on it's face. TNO is explicitly set in a alternate reality where a secret cabal of jews had a bunch of sooper sekrit technology they were hiding that the Nazis stole to fuel their warmaking capabilities. It was never meant to be historically accurate. At all.

*People who believe that identity politics and intersectionality are the foundation on which their political positions should be based.