Outraged by the implementation of Women in Battlefield 5

Agonizel
Go to solution Solved by Agonizel,
1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

It feels out of place and forced, and I think most people feel that way.

The thing is, a lot of people such as myself - a battlefield fan - didn't care and it didn't felt out of place and forced. Why is that?
The discussion is in WHY does it feel out of place and forced for some people?

I explained it in my post and I'm gonna develop it explicitly again because there are various psychological phenomenons at work here and I could cite some for you:
1. Status Quo bias: people prefer when things remain the same. In BF5's case, they obviously changed something
2. Norms & Values: The discomfort of transgressed norms, not only that, but the expression of it. In fact, a during a very recent study of the university of ULB (I assisted to the lecture last month) the discrimination of LGBT people at work: in short, there was a theory that could be inducted with the data gathered: People that transgress the norm are not discriminated because they transgressed it, but because they show that they transgressed.

For instance, you get records of such conversations: "I hate muslim/gay people!" -"Well, I'm actually muslim/gay" -"Oh, you're okay because we don't notice it"
In case of BF5, they flagantry transgressed the norm of by presenting a woman as the new face of the game
3. The cognitive dissonance: which is the state of having inconsistent thoughts, beliefs, or attitudes: It's an extremely strong psychological state in which people won't accept their own incoherence (it's actually part of a defense mechanism to preserve self-integrity and thereby mental sanity), that's why even the most developed arguments won't even work.

No one wants to be sexist because it's socially undesirable. I believe many of the people complaining about the woman in the game also believe in equality between genders and women's rights. I believe they do not mean to be demeaning to women in any way. BUT the incoherence I exposed in the sole argument brought by those people which complains about historical inaccuracy (...):

1. Battlefield never pretended (in any game) to be historically accurate
2. There are many other bigger inaccuracies that didn't bother people that much

(...) shows that, the outrage may actually be (intended or not) sexism deflected (by the cognitive dissonance) behind the curtain of "historical accuracy". Because they ofcourse don't mean to be sexist, but they need to find a thing ("historical inaccuracy) to blame their discomfort on.

I'm sure there are many other phenomenons such as the lack of the ability of decentring which means being able to step outside of one's own truisms, cognitive scheme and preconceived, culturally anchored thoughts and ideas.

All in all, the status quo bias, norm&values, the cognitive dissonance are the main psychological phenomenons (I could observe in the people commenting against of the implementation of women in the game) that could explain their discomfort and the reason why they oppose this change. 

This is my last comment for this thread.

Message added by SansVarnic

Please remember the Community Standards when commenting.

Any derailment, political comments, name calling, baiting, etc will be met with removal of commentary and warnings issued.

This topic is a contested issue so lets remain civil with this discussion.

4 hours ago, LAwLz said:

I agree with most of what you said, if I am reading it correctly. Feel free to correct me if I am misinterpreting you.

Like you said, I think people fall back on the "it's not historically accurate" argument because they can't exactly put their finger on why that character in the trailer feels like pandering. There are a lot things which goes into perceiving something like a trailer, and you can not always put those things into words.

Then they double down on their ideas when they get challenged.

But with that being said, I think the "it's not historically accurate" argument holds more water than the "BF has never been about historical accuracy" argument. There is a very big difference between incorporating unrealistic gameplay mechanics vs incorporating inaccurate historical facts into your historic shooter game for the sole purpose of appealing to some groups of people.

If we take it to the extreme, you can't justify having aliens and wizards in BF5 because "you don't respawn in war, so neither thing is realistic or historically accurate".

What people are actually responding to is a sign that the creators don't respect the players. It's a bit down the scale from burning a flag, but the symbolism is pretty hard to miss. People respond to things that are "outside the norm" from a defensive & instinctual process, firstly. The amazingly incompetent "Gaming Media" would, of course, grab onto the "historical accuracy" part first, so they can avoid dealing with the actual topic. (It's a classic media misdirection trick.) The main thing is that it's a sign that the creators are pandering to people that don't play the game, which is the deeper issue.

People will forever forget the biggest screw up in modern FPS history was the CoD:Infinite Warfare trailer. One of the most down-voted YouTube videos in history, and it tanked CoD's yearly sales by almost 50%. There's a reason "boots on the ground" is a meme. Activision looked at the sales figures and realized how badly they misjudged their audience. Why did the players respond so badly to the trailer & not buy the game? Because it didn't fit the understanding of "Call of Duty", so they reacted quite negatively.

This isn't CoD:IW bad, but, well, it's a rather worrying sign.

The real question,

The only question that actually matters is,

DID THEY FIX THE FUCKING SNIPING OR NOT?

Sniping in Battlefield games has been absolute garbage since BF3. BFBC2 had perfect sniping and they ruined. Also,

WHEN CAN MEDIC HAVE THEIR DAMNED LMG's back?

The only reason I would object to them putting women in these games is to spite the people who think it needs to be done to "be progressive". And even then, only if they're trying to shove it in peoples faces like so many feminists seem to do with anything they touch.

Beyond that, I don't fucking care. Just fix the sniping, and give my medic back his light machine gun because they lack so much in offensive capability that it's not even funny.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

17 pages and people are still arguing about a game that clearly states that it was dice's take on WW2 not that it was a historically accurate game

Even the bloody dev said it was their spin on the war... People need to grow tf up

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

Just now, rrubberr said:

The issue is that it completely tramples and disrespects the factual history of the war, whether or not EA / DICE wants it to be "accurate" makes no difference.

Right... Say it with me... IT. IS. A. FUCKING. GAME.

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

Anybody else smell something weird from all this ? like ..

72b9b8ec34fe475fbed06e60ae7c5f32

like a forced marketing move scandal? not this much issue with other games previously coming out, a sort of controlled controversy to create headlines tagging to the product they intend to promote & yet release.

Details separate people.

19 minutes ago, rrubberr said:

Yes, and we Europeans have a HISTORY that is being trampled every day by "progressive" media and popular culture. How much of replacing us with blacks and women in media is too far?

Nevermind it being largely pointless. It adds nothing to the game so what's the point?

This is just about the only time this is a valid argument, but it's just a game. Chill, people.

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

25 minutes ago, Tech_Dreamer said:

Anybody else smell something weird from all this ? like ..

72b9b8ec34fe475fbed06e60ae7c5f32

like a forced marketing move scandal? not this much issue with other games previously coming out, a sort of controlled controversy to create headlines tagging to the product they intend to promote & yet release.

Ahem.

7 hours ago, ravenshrike said:

The fun part about all this is that there was a specific design decision to put the prosthetic on the woman. I guarantee that it was done to deflect from criticism of the prosthetic itself. All so EA can get that sweet sweet micro-transaction money.

11 minutes ago, rrubberr said:

What it adds is respect for the millions of men who died in the European theatre.

No, no it doesn't. A guy running around with a katana on their back while a scrawny female sniper with a prosthetic arm beats someone to death with a barbed wire wrapped cricket bat does not add respect for those who died in the European theater.

On 5/24/2018 at 7:40 AM, Princess Cadence said:

Life is much better when you don't give a crap about social media drama.

Petition to give Princes Cadence a "wise man/woman" badge. 

it's time

1 hour ago, rrubberr said:

Of course, in this most "progressive" of times, you can no longer make the argument that EA / DICE should not devalue the fact that men, overwhelmingly white men, fought and died by the millions in the second world war, by pretending that blacks and women made up any significant portion of combat. It is not that the game needs to be historically accurate, or that you can't have an occasional female Soviet sniper (because there occasionally was such a thing); the issue arises when EA / DICE begin to trample the true history of Europe with overt social justice and feminism.

It is at that point that we Europeans, who have ancestors who gave their lives, get irked by the complete disregard EA / DICE have for their sacrifice.

The true history of Europe? What? It's a video game. I mean really if you want MAXIMUM ACCURACY go play Argo, it doesn't even have jumping. The game isn't supposed to be a documentary, it's supposed to be fun. And if someone finds it more fun to play as a woman than a man, then by all means I say let them.

The thing I take issue with is the prosthetic arm. Pretty sure anyone with a prosthetic arm would not fought in WWII.

it's time

36 minutes ago, rrubberr said:

What it adds is respect for the millions of men who died in the European theatre.

No I mean them pumping this kind of stuff into a game. It adds nothing to it except maybe controversy or someone being able to say "take that you white cis-gendered males!".

Or at least those are the only reasons I see for doing something like this. I mean I guess it adds customization to the game? Although there are better ways to do that if you are okay with breaking historical accuracy (better weapon customization is always a plus in my book. Historical accuracy be damned)

And they could have just had women in the Russian side of things because they actually fielded women in combat unlike all the other armies.

Just now, rrubberr said:

Lel and did you catch that V1 "rocket" being used as an anti-infantry weapon?

No, where was that? Someone make a GIF and spam all the people complaining about historical accuracy with it.

it's time

24 minutes ago, rrubberr said:

That is the crux of it, isn't it? Just shoving it to the men who gave their lives to make and change history to push their new anti-European agenda. As a European, it's sad to watch trampling your culture become not only commonplace, but popular and 'cool.'

If it weren't for the current political atmosphere and the anti-male agenda being pushed everywhere else in society by the elitist faux-intelligencia, I would be willing to believe they did it just to add customization.

And I have no problem with that. I however have a problem with it being yet more virtue signaling which I am more than willing to believe is the case.

Although trying to drum up attention to the game via controversy is equally possible.

20 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

Although trying to drum up attention to the game via controversy is equally possible.

CoD: Ghosts had female counterparts in the game. No such attention was brought by Activision/Infinity Ward to Ghosts for it. EA/DICE did this purely for publicity. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

4 minutes ago, rrubberr said:

Ghosts was a more modern or future meme, it was not rewriting history.

Okay... 

BF1 had a female protagonist in the Lawrence of Arabia campaign (Nothing is Written, I think) and no one lost their minds for it. This is vastly different as EA made a POINT TO SHOW OFF THE FEMALE CHARACTER.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

3 minutes ago, rrubberr said:

Nobody but me and all the people I know that play the game, lol. It's even more disingenuous to put women in a WW1 shooter, not to mention that 1 in 4 classes on the German side are black. I guess DICE think's Germany somehow held onto its colonial holdings?

Yeah no one important gives a flying fuck. It's a game, get the fuck over it.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

10 hours ago, Cookybiscuit said:

Picking your own comment as best answer, that's how you know you lost the argument.

And then stops talking because he knows how poor is arguments have been. Literally any thing that is about historical atmosphere is met with a gameplay response or that they said it was their take on it. Apparently being your take on a historical event gives you the excuse to be inaccurate. 

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

@LAwLz I just wanted to point out that your BF4 vs Siege stats are not comparable.

IF we agree that the Siege stats are accurate (14.5m estimated copies sold - despite the author of this figure straight up admitting he guessed some of the numbers, and made up others), then we must also agree that the BF4 stats you provided are simply wrong.

Why?

Because for the Siege stats, the primary source for most of his non-PC stats is vgchartz. Sure, that's fine. We do know that the site isn't 100% accurate, but it's a good ballpark.

However, if we use vgchartz for BF4, you can see that total sales estimates are also around the 14m mark. And supposedly vgchartz doesn't take into account digital sales? (Since the Siege sales figures article listed totally separate sales figures for digital distribution on all platforms)

http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=battlefield+4

If this is correct, and vgchartz only takes into account physical retail copies of the game (sold via the likes of GameStop, Walmart, Best Buy, Amazon, etc - for all platforms), then the 14m copies sold for BF4 is actually potentially under-represented by a large degree.

I don't inherently disagree with your statements - though I personally feel that having a Woman in BFV - crippled or not - is a total non-issue - but I wanted to correct this misunderstanding about the sales for BF4 vs Siege. So BF4, at worst, has about equal sales to Siege. But if digital is not actually represented, then BF4 sales would actually significantly outweigh Siege sales.

I'll give it the benefit of the doubt, though, and assume it includes digital sales, and that sales between both games are roughly equal.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

2 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

straight up admitting he guessed

I wouldnt take a word they say, just more fakeness

Just now, Canada EH said:

I wouldnt take a word they say, just more fakeness

Well, for example, to get the Ubisoft digital sales figures, he literally took the Steamspy figures, and doubled them, because "Ubisoft marketed the game a lot". Yeah marketing the game a lot will increase sale figures, but that's entirely, 100% baseless.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

20 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

-snip-

Doesn't seem like he was that far off though. Here is an official report saying Siege has 20 million registered players (with 2.3 million daily active users).

In any case, my point is that claiming that Siege is a small game that nobody cares about is ludicrous. It's nothing but a very bad attempt to dismiss facts that doesn't suit your narrative, which is a very dangerous practice.

Outrage that an entirely fictional story has fictional elements. It's like throwing a fit about the Captain America or Wonder Woman films because "that's not historically accurate".

IT'S NOT SUPPOSED TO BE ACCURATE, IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE A VIDEO GAME!

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

Doesn't seem like he was that far off though. Here is an official report saying Siege has 20 million registered players (with 2.3 million daily active users).

In any case, my point is that claiming that Siege is a small game that nobody cares about is ludicrous. It's nothing but a very bad attempt to dismiss facts that doesn't suit your narrative, which is a very dangerous practice.

I agree that the claim that Siege is a "small game" is certainly not accurate.

Though, how exactly do you measure a game that has since switched to a F2P model, which will inherently attract more players that aren't willing to pay for a game? It's a difficult comparison to make in any circumstances.

Though I could definitely believe ~15m copies sold before F2P model, and an additional 5m players attracted via the F2P model. These are plausible figures for sure.

35 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Outrage that an entirely fictional story has fictional elements. It's like throwing a fit about the Captain America or Wonder Woman films because "that's not historically accurate".

IT'S NOT SUPPOSED TO BE ACCURATE, IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE A VIDEO GAME!

That's my thinking.  There's so much that's historically 'off' that the presence of a woman should probably be 59th on the list of things guys object to.  If you're going to toss historical realism out the window, why the hell wouldn't you make the game more inclusive?