Outraged by the implementation of Women in Battlefield 5

Agonizel
Go to solution Solved by Agonizel,
1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

It feels out of place and forced, and I think most people feel that way.

The thing is, a lot of people such as myself - a battlefield fan - didn't care and it didn't felt out of place and forced. Why is that?
The discussion is in WHY does it feel out of place and forced for some people?

I explained it in my post and I'm gonna develop it explicitly again because there are various psychological phenomenons at work here and I could cite some for you:
1. Status Quo bias: people prefer when things remain the same. In BF5's case, they obviously changed something
2. Norms & Values: The discomfort of transgressed norms, not only that, but the expression of it. In fact, a during a very recent study of the university of ULB (I assisted to the lecture last month) the discrimination of LGBT people at work: in short, there was a theory that could be inducted with the data gathered: People that transgress the norm are not discriminated because they transgressed it, but because they show that they transgressed.

For instance, you get records of such conversations: "I hate muslim/gay people!" -"Well, I'm actually muslim/gay" -"Oh, you're okay because we don't notice it"
In case of BF5, they flagantry transgressed the norm of by presenting a woman as the new face of the game
3. The cognitive dissonance: which is the state of having inconsistent thoughts, beliefs, or attitudes: It's an extremely strong psychological state in which people won't accept their own incoherence (it's actually part of a defense mechanism to preserve self-integrity and thereby mental sanity), that's why even the most developed arguments won't even work.

No one wants to be sexist because it's socially undesirable. I believe many of the people complaining about the woman in the game also believe in equality between genders and women's rights. I believe they do not mean to be demeaning to women in any way. BUT the incoherence I exposed in the sole argument brought by those people which complains about historical inaccuracy (...):

1. Battlefield never pretended (in any game) to be historically accurate
2. There are many other bigger inaccuracies that didn't bother people that much

(...) shows that, the outrage may actually be (intended or not) sexism deflected (by the cognitive dissonance) behind the curtain of "historical accuracy". Because they ofcourse don't mean to be sexist, but they need to find a thing ("historical inaccuracy) to blame their discomfort on.

I'm sure there are many other phenomenons such as the lack of the ability of decentring which means being able to step outside of one's own truisms, cognitive scheme and preconceived, culturally anchored thoughts and ideas.

All in all, the status quo bias, norm&values, the cognitive dissonance are the main psychological phenomenons (I could observe in the people commenting against of the implementation of women in the game) that could explain their discomfort and the reason why they oppose this change. 

This is my last comment for this thread.

Message added by SansVarnic

Please remember the Community Standards when commenting.

Any derailment, political comments, name calling, baiting, etc will be met with removal of commentary and warnings issued.

This topic is a contested issue so lets remain civil with this discussion.

4 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Still can't believe how devastating the S-51 used to be in WOT before the great rebalance.

SU 14-1 had the same gun with more ammo, better accuracy, better reload at the cost of bigger profile and lower mobility. that thing was even more fun

Meh, the French resistance and Red Army had plenty of women fighting.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

16 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Still can't believe how devastating the S-51 used to be in WOT before the great rebalance.

One shotting tiger 2s with AP....... It was a great time. Why fire anything but AP in that thing? (it actually was cheaper)

These days the best artillery gun is on the deathstar, and it doesnt even fire in artillery mode

This is stupid. I dislike 3rd wave feminism and SJW crap but I'm not outraged that a woman is on the cover of a video game lol. Who gives a damn about historically accurate? It's a game, not a documentary.

Being outraged by this is just as bad as an SJW being outraged IMHO. 

1 minute ago, sparkespress said:

This is stupid. I dislike 3rd wave feminism and SJW crap but I'm not outraged that a woman is on the cover of a video game lol. Who gives a damn about historically accurate? It's a game, not a documentary.

Being outraged by this is just as bad as an SJW being outraged IMHO. 

At this point it's not even feminism, it's just common sense. Congrats on your 1st post by the way

RGB & Fan control ULTIMATE GUIDE !

On 5/24/2018 at 8:26 AM, Razor Blade said:

This day in age. Anything you do, anything you say, anything you believe in, anything you don't believe in...somewhere, someone will be offended.

How dare you say that something must offend me..... 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

17 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

9fd21d27b4fafd68ab6bf305fe99c6ed.jpg

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

4 hours ago, Serin said:

Only if they get some weird underground German electro-metal group to do the soundtrack.

Das Sound Machine

Das_sound_machine.jpg

xD

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 hour ago, djdwosk97 said:

You being offended offends me.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

If Battlefield 5 was a successor to Battlefield 4 and took place shortly in the future and they decided to have female characters, I wouldn't care. I was actually kinda confused as to why Battlefield 4 didn't have a female character, you'd think all these modern Battlefield's would have at least one female. For them to add a female character in a setting that doesn't historically make sense is just SJW pandering. It ruins the game like how BF1 had semi-auto weapons everywhere. I was really hoping for a modern battlefield, but instead we get this shit. That's the third Battlefield in a row I won't be buying.

8 minutes ago, EPENEX said:

It ruins the game like how BF1 had semi-auto weapons everywhere

nope, it's not a mechanic: the game play remains the same woman or not. 
I'm repeating again & again & again & again to every new person in the comment section that does not take the time to read the thread correctly like he/she should:
Battlefield does not pretend to be historically accurate, nor does it want to be

21 hours ago, valdyrgramr said:

When has BF ever been accurate?

Never said BF, was talking about games/movies and stuff in general. Look at marvel comics, thor is now a woman, iron man is black chick, spiderman is black as well.

MAIN BUILD!

1 minute ago, valdyrgramr said:

First of, that's not Thor in the lore it's a Valkyrie who takes up the role of Thor.  Not really into Iron Man, so not sure of the lore bit.  And, Peter Parker isn't the sole Spiderman.

Ofc they have to correct the character so it fits the new role.

MAIN BUILD!

50 000 000 to 80 000 000 people died. Millions of people still remember this war, million of people still live with injuries related to the war. EA is using, by far the deadliest conflict in human history, as set dressing, with no consideration or respect to historical accuracy i might add.

I'm not just referring to the presence of a seemingly British woman on the battle field. Almost everything about the trailer is in very bad taste in my opinion. The second world is now represented as an arcade shooter.

Edit: Some 800 000 Soviet Women served in the Red army in nearly all functions. Including front line infantry, pilots, tank crew and perhaps most famously as snipers. Polish women played a significant role in the Polish resistance.

There were plenty of opportunity to represent historical female combatants, without pandering to western feminism.

Motherboard: Asus X570-E
CPU: 3900x 4.3GHZ

Memory: G.skill Trident GTZR 3200mhz cl14

GPU: AMD RX 570

SSD1: Corsair MP510 1TB

SSD2: Samsung MX500 500GB

PSU: Corsair AX860i Platinum

32 minutes ago, Beer_Nontitju said:

nope, it's not a mechanic: the game play remains the same woman or not. 
I'm repeating again & again & again & again to every new person in the comment section that does not take the time to read the thread correctly like he/she should:
Battlefield does not pretend to be historically accurate, nor does it want to be

And you keep ignoring the things people point out while repeating the same thing.

The difference with bf5 is EA is marketing it as a ''immersive WW2 '' game with what we can see for now is they didn't even try with making the female main character role realistic when it would have been easy to as for example as a Russian sniper which also would make it convenient to have extra campaign story events like Stalingrad.

2 minutes ago, MMKing said:

no consideration or respect to historical accuracy i might add.

So all the historical inaccuracies are disrespectful right? Not just the women, right?

14 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

EA is marketing it as a ''immersive WW2 ''

Aaaaaand I repeat myself again: Immersive does not mean historically accurate.
They can immerse you with high graphical fidelity or high quality sound design, it does not mean historically accurate.

I repeat for the last time, because you guys keep making the same arguments over and over that were invalidated over and over: Immersive does not mean historically accurate. If you interpreted it this way, it's your problem.

If the integration of a female character is the only inaccuracy among other numerous massive historical inaccuracies that bothers you and if a simple female soldier is what it takes to pull you out of the immersion, then your opinion is sexist no matter how you look at it.

13 minutes ago, MMKing said:

50 000 000 to 80 000 000 people died. Millions of people still remember this war, million of people still live with injuries related to the war. EA is using, by far the deadliest conflict in human history, as set dressing, with no consideration or respect to historical accuracy i might add.

I'm not just referring to the presence of a seemingly British woman on the battle field. Almost everything about the trailer is in very bad taste in my opinion. The second world is now represented as an arcade shooter.

Edit: Some 800 000 Soviet Women served in the Red army in nearly all functions. Including front line infantry, pilots, tank crew and perhaps most famously as snipers. Polish women played a significant role in the Polish resistance.

There were plenty of opportunity to represent historical female combatants, without pandering to western feminism.

Need for speed MW/UG 1 + 2= you hit civilians like a sociopath throughout the entire game and your car never gets totaled, yet I don't see people complaining about lack of realism.

GTA series: you die and you spawn over and over, get busted and the same happens, yet no one complains about lack of realism in that regard.

Counter Strike: Terrorists are loosely based on real stereotypes but they all speak with an American accent, no one complains about lack of realism.

Battlefield 5 touched a nerve as of late with the "anti sjw" crowd, that's all I can conclude.

At the end of the day, either the game is fun or it isn't, the rest is purely secondary. 

On 5/24/2018 at 8:25 AM, SC2Mitch said:

Literally people moaned on the BF forums about the lack of female soldiers, then this happens now people are crying and putting it behind a "political agenda" which is a load of bs. EA aren't the best company in the world, sure, but I think they've done some good worth this. But remember kids, NEVER PRE ORDER VIDEO GAMES NOR BELIEVE IN THE UNREAL HYPE, IT'S NMS ALL OVER AGAIN. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AV69DyOuzbE

Share any interests with me? Feel free to message me just to chit chat about whatever. 

(Music) Depeche Mode, The Cure, Pink Floyd, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Cocteau Twins, MGMT, Boy Harsher, The Smiths, Drab Majesty, Chelsea Wolfe, Carly Rae Jepsen, The Smashing Pumpkins, Virgin Prunes, Sky Ferreira, London After Midnight, Jonathan Coulton, Alvvays, Clan of Xymox, Bauhaus, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Anna Von Hausswolff, Joy Division, Sisters of Mercy, She Wants Revenge, The Frozen Autumn, My Bloody Valentine, Type O Negative, The Birthday Party, Leonard Cohen, Switchblade Symphony, Metallica, Creedance Clearwater Revival, Eagles, Elton John, Billy Joel.

(Games) PUBG, Metro Series, Command and Conquer games, Warhammer 40,000 games, Company of Heroes (2), RDR2, CoD4

(Other) Going to the goth club, Firearms, Building PCs (Especially budget PC builds), Playing instruments (Guitar, Piano APP for PC, Otamatone, Trombone) Camping, Board Games

I enjoy historically accurate shooters personally, I really enjoyed Verdun as a WW1 shooter. Battlefield 1 was fun as well, but way less historically accurate. Still fun to play, but I would have been happier if it had some more accuracy, particularly in the trench warfare gameplay.

In my opinion, female soldiers is NOT the worst historical inaccuracy we saw in the trailer for Battlefield V.

What bothered me most about the trailer was the "we are a badass band of misfits shooting our way through Nazi scum" aspect of it. What bothered me was the apparent heavy leaning on "cosmetic customization" instead of just having everyone wear standard uniforms.

This seems more like: Destiny 2: Battlefield WW2 edition, or even "Battlefield: Inglorious Bastards edition" rather than a successor to Battlefield 1942.

To me, these kinds of depictions of WW2, with cosmetics, and "hey we are having badass fun" kind of make light of the real suffering and historic tragedy of WW2, which really rubs me the wrong way.

You could argue that any video game depiction of a real war does this, but in a game like Verdun, or even Battlefield 1942, you can take war seriously. You really feel it would have been awful to be at war. The trailer to Battlefield V made me feel like they are making light of WW2, which is a slippery slope IMO.

Let's hope the game ends up being very different from the trailer.

4 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

4 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

SU 14-1 had the same gun with more ammo, better accuracy, better reload at the cost of bigger profile and lower mobility. that thing was even more fun

4 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

One shotting tiger 2s with AP....... It was a great time. Why fire anything but AP in that thing? (it actually was cheaper)

These days the best artillery gun is on the deathstar, and it doesnt even fire in artillery mode

You two make me sad.

215B 183 best arty NA. Pls don't take my HESH.

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

2 minutes ago, maartendc said:

I enjoy historically accurate shooters personally, I really enjoyed Verdun as a WW1 shooter. Battlefield 1 was fun as well, but way less historically accurate. Still fun to play, but I would have been happier if it had some more accuracy, particularly in the trench warfare gameplay.

In my opinion, female soldiers is NOT the worst historical inaccuracy we saw in the trailer for Battlefield V.

What bothered me most about the trailer was the "we are a badass band of misfits shooting our way through Nazi scum" aspect of it. What bothered me was the apparent heavy leaning on "cosmetic customization" instead of just having everyone wear standard uniforms.

This seems more like: Destiny 2: Battlefield WW2 edition, or even "Battlefield: Inglorious Bastards edition" rather than a successor to Battlefield 1942.

To me, these kinds of depictions of WW2, with cosmetics, and "hey we are having badass fun" kind of make light of the real suffering and historic tragedy of WW2, which really rubs me the wrong way.

You could argue that any video game depiction of a real war does this, but in a game like Verdun, or even Battlefield 1942, you can take war seriously. You really feel it would have been awful to be at war. The trailer to Battlefield V made me feel like they are making light of WW2, which is a slippery slope IMO.

Let's hope the game ends up being very different from the trailer.

What about battlefield bad company 2 which is reputed as one of the best campaigns in Battlefield history although being lighthearted?
What about Wolfenstein?
What about Aldo's squad in Inglorious Bastards?

Do you feel the same way about all those?

4 minutes ago, Beer_Nontitju said:

What about battlefield bad company 2 which is reputed as one of the best campaigns in Battlefield history although being lighthearted?
What about Wolfenstein?
What about Aldo's squad in Inglorious Bastards?

Do you feel the same way about all those?

they don't, cause bj is a man

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*