Outraged by the implementation of Women in Battlefield 5

Agonizel
Go to solution Solved by Agonizel,
1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

It feels out of place and forced, and I think most people feel that way.

The thing is, a lot of people such as myself - a battlefield fan - didn't care and it didn't felt out of place and forced. Why is that?
The discussion is in WHY does it feel out of place and forced for some people?

I explained it in my post and I'm gonna develop it explicitly again because there are various psychological phenomenons at work here and I could cite some for you:
1. Status Quo bias: people prefer when things remain the same. In BF5's case, they obviously changed something
2. Norms & Values: The discomfort of transgressed norms, not only that, but the expression of it. In fact, a during a very recent study of the university of ULB (I assisted to the lecture last month) the discrimination of LGBT people at work: in short, there was a theory that could be inducted with the data gathered: People that transgress the norm are not discriminated because they transgressed it, but because they show that they transgressed.

For instance, you get records of such conversations: "I hate muslim/gay people!" -"Well, I'm actually muslim/gay" -"Oh, you're okay because we don't notice it"
In case of BF5, they flagantry transgressed the norm of by presenting a woman as the new face of the game
3. The cognitive dissonance: which is the state of having inconsistent thoughts, beliefs, or attitudes: It's an extremely strong psychological state in which people won't accept their own incoherence (it's actually part of a defense mechanism to preserve self-integrity and thereby mental sanity), that's why even the most developed arguments won't even work.

No one wants to be sexist because it's socially undesirable. I believe many of the people complaining about the woman in the game also believe in equality between genders and women's rights. I believe they do not mean to be demeaning to women in any way. BUT the incoherence I exposed in the sole argument brought by those people which complains about historical inaccuracy (...):

1. Battlefield never pretended (in any game) to be historically accurate
2. There are many other bigger inaccuracies that didn't bother people that much

(...) shows that, the outrage may actually be (intended or not) sexism deflected (by the cognitive dissonance) behind the curtain of "historical accuracy". Because they ofcourse don't mean to be sexist, but they need to find a thing ("historical inaccuracy) to blame their discomfort on.

I'm sure there are many other phenomenons such as the lack of the ability of decentring which means being able to step outside of one's own truisms, cognitive scheme and preconceived, culturally anchored thoughts and ideas.

All in all, the status quo bias, norm&values, the cognitive dissonance are the main psychological phenomenons (I could observe in the people commenting against of the implementation of women in the game) that could explain their discomfort and the reason why they oppose this change. 

This is my last comment for this thread.

Message added by SansVarnic

Please remember the Community Standards when commenting.

Any derailment, political comments, name calling, baiting, etc will be met with removal of commentary and warnings issued.

This topic is a contested issue so lets remain civil with this discussion.

1 minute ago, matrix07012 said:

That's why I didn't engage in this conversation sooner, because I'm going to wait until the game is out and decide if it's good and immersive or not.

If that's the position you've taken, why did you argue for multiple pages that having women fighters will break immersion?

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Just now, dalekphalm said:

If that's the position you've taken, why did you argue for multiple pages that having women fighters will break immersion?

Because of COD: WW2.

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

2 minutes ago, matrix07012 said:

Because of COD: WW2.

Ultimately it comes down to personal preference, but I just simply cannot understand the outrage over female characters. In my opinion, it doesn't matter at all that there weren't many female soldiers in WW2.

The benefits (greater outreach and interest to more gamers), outweighs any possible downsides, in my opinion.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

3 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Ultimately it comes down to personal preference, but I just simply cannot understand the outrage over female characters. In my opinion, it doesn't matter at all that there weren't many female soldiers in WW2.

The benefits (greater outreach and interest to more gamers), outweighs any possible downsides, in my opinion.

Campaign-make them Russian, dont make them (all characters) look like something from fallout or borderlands or some shit. 

MP- who the fuck cares 

In before we get no good snow maps. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

1 minute ago, Syntaxvgm said:

Campaign-make them Russian, dont make them (all characters) look like something from fallout or borderlands or some shit. 

MP- who the fuck cares 

Art style is certainly something to discuss.

As for the campaign? We have no details at all. These women could be French or German resistance fighters, Russian, etc. There are many possibilities. Or they could be one of the approximately 2.5% of Allied soldiers who were women in disguise pretending to be men.

We don't know these details, so there's no reason to get bent out of shape over them.

10 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

I see.

Well if we're posting videos I'll do it as a link but this one explains why so many gamers hold these kinds of views today.

The video I posted is apolitical, but sure, I’m gonna watch it.

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

3 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

BF1 is one of the least historically accurate historical games I've ever played lol.

Even the WW1 mod for Battlefield 1942 (the best Battlefield by the way) was more accurate than BF1 lol

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

As for the campaign? We have no details at all. These women could be French or German resistance fighters, Russian, etc. There are many possibilities. Or they could be one of the approximately 2.5% of Allied soldiers who were women in disguise pretending to be men.

We don't know these details, so there's no reason to get bent out of shape over them.

I am just personally delighted that most of the people that were very ANGRY (yes, all caps angry even) at other people being critical of the art style and thematic choices of Cuphead will now be equally angry at Battlefield V detractors because it's fun and should be above criticism and critics are overreacting right?

..right?

image.png.b4591d2fb1a36944c3f7fbdc3f60d330.png

-------

Current Rig

-------

8 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

didn't look like pretending to me. Also I whine about them not being Russian because there were many women fighting there because everyone was fighting. Big meat grinder. Interesting characters made popular by exaggeration/Russian propaganda 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasily_Zaytsev

yet very few games seem to care about showing anything soviet union. 

sigh 

and people could been like "no actually lot of women solders in soviet union" less angry people. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

1 minute ago, Misanthrope said:

I am just personally delighted that most of the people that were very ANGRY (yes, all caps angry even) at other people being critical of the art style and thematic choices of Cuphead will now be equally angry at Battlefield V detractors because it's fun and should be above criticism and critics are overreacting right?

..right?

image.png.b4591d2fb1a36944c3f7fbdc3f60d330.png

I thought that game was just one big circlejerk? IDK never played it. Respect the work it took though. 

muh specs 

All parts black

2 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

didn't look like pretending to me. Also I whine about them not being Russian because there were many women fighting there because everyone was fighting. Big meat grinder. Interesting characters made popular by exaggeration/Russian propaganda 

I don't understand this comment:

didn't look like pretending to me

Women "pretended" to be men, in the sense that they disguised themselves to look like men, so that they could be accepted into the army.

2 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

That’s true. Most games don’t really show anything about the USSR or the Nazi Germany.

Spoiler

Retired:

3 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

Most of these military shooters are made with the US' point of view in mind, showing anything else is seen as a risk that might lead to lower sales; in the end in Battlefield it never really mattered because everyone mostly plays the multiplayer anyway, and being a russian or an american at that point is irrelevant.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

6 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

I thought that game was just one big circlejerk? IDK never played it. Respect the work it took though. 

That's not the point. The point that people even suggesting that it directly evoked extremely racist cartoons and thus might be a questionable choice for certain people that might find issue with that or wished to discuss those aspects of the game was blown out of proportion in a big, massive "How dare you bring that up any game can depict anything and it should still be supported cause you just want to censor us!" Usually with far more explicit language and far longer rants about it.

I am simply stating, that surely this people will be making that same argument now that people are talking about the questionable choice of not being historically accurate by including a woman in a WWII combat role, because how dare you bring that up any game can depict whatever they want and should still be supported cause you just want to censor us for includying women.

I am sure the typical gamer dudebro will be able to make these points again and be internally consistent with their "free speech" absolutism in gaming right?

-------

Current Rig

-------

2 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

I am sure the typical gamer dudebro will be able to make these points again and be internally consistent with their "free speech" absolutism in gaming right?

I thought the "free speech" part had gone out the window now that they want something removed from a game dennis_poncho48x48.jpg.d0bc95615680c6e890f82feb269ac766.jpg

as for the cuphead situation, if you haven't seen it I recommend you watch this video:

it discusses pretty much the same point you were making.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Hopefully they make the hit-boxes the same between male and female characters without making the dimensions appear smaller. I do hope they go about it like CoD: Ghosts where you could choose male or female and what kind of armor you wear (hopefully with stats to match). 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

They should have made the female mascot an underage-looking digital waifu. Everybody would have been happy...

45 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

The characters in Battlefield 3 and 4 never existed, for example.  Soap never existed either.  They are fictional characters, and you're fine with that.  You're fine with other inaccuracies because "adds a mechanic".  But, you're bitching for the sake of bitching that a woman is on the frontline in a work of fiction.  Wasn't the original argument that a woman was on the cover of the game?  Cuz that's what people were bitching about in the OP.  It's not a simple inaccuracy, but they were arguing because "women".  Did you not even read the original post of this entire thread?  I mean if women being in fiction pisses you off, but other inaccuracies don't piss you off then feel free to hate on that.  That's your choice, but it is still fucked up.

When making a story based on historical events then base it off the historical events and what actually happened there. Just because something is made up doesn't mean it isn't historically accurate. I take it you don't get what historically accurate even means because all your argument seem to revile around historically accurate to mean it is not fictional at all. Also you talk about people who are saying sexist things and making that an argument as to why it is sexist. That's not how that works. An argument doesn't become sexist just because there are sexist people who agree with it. My entire point was that it is historically inaccurate and that it kinda makes me annoyed and slightly mad. That isn't sexist and if you want to portray it as such go right ahead. If they had implemented it in a historically accurate way I would not care so the issues has nothing to do with women being in the game. If I was sexist I wouldn't want them in the game at all. You can't say my reason for not wanting them in the game like they are is sexist when the reason is completely separate from them being women. I mean it irritated me when there are other inaccuracies in the game but I usually get over them as they have some sort of mechanic in mind. If they didn't have a mechanic in mind then yeah I would be just as mad about it. 

1 minute ago, Sauron said:

I thought the "free speech" part had gone out the window now that they want something removed from a game dennis_poncho48x48.jpg.d0bc95615680c6e890f82feb269ac766.jpg

as for the cuphead situation, if you haven't seen it I recommend you watch this video:

it discusses pretty much the same point you were making.

Hey this is the second link to a Shaun video on this page alone, neat.

-------

Current Rig

-------

15 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

I don't understand this comment:

Women "pretended" to be men, in the sense that they disguised themselves to look like men, so that they could be accepted into the army.

everyone in this trailer is clearly trying to hide nothing. Here were have a British woman with a robot arm and a cricket bat being shoved in our face and they expect no one to get mad? Could've promoted woman from french resistance (pretty sure thats who that one woman was) or just again something soviet. It seems so purposely forced for no good reason. 

image.png.a3482a17abf0cb72c035c993e1fe6dd3.png

And that's totally who these arms worked, sure

It's like they wanted outrage. They will blame sexism when the game doesn't sell because it sucks or isn't anything past good enough. 
The entire trailer up to that point was so bad it almost looked like a parody of COD SP. 

And no on can even pretend there was no outrage in BF1 when they just decided the entirety of fucking France and Russia didn't exist and eventually added them via dlc. That's omitting history, people feel like this is rewriting history to fit some sort of agenda. They know it's not going to be super accurate and they expect some cliche's/existing misconceptions to make their way in, but no one up to this point associated this

Spoiler

Image result for yang rwby volume 5

with ww2 

muh specs 

All parts black

58 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

"This is just unnecessary", except for perhaps the thousands of women who want to play as a female?

Seriously, this is a MP shooter. The MP Setting is not historically accurate. Unless Deathmatch/Capture Points was something I missed in history class?

as said by @valdyrgramr, this is fiction. The devs and writers decide what parts (if any) of history to portrait accurately. If they want to feature a story in which the main character is one of the few females to be on the front lines? So be it. And because allowing female characters in MP just makes sense, so be it.

They could have done this by implementing them in a way that is accurate.... my point is there isn't a reason why they had to be inaccurate. Also I never said anything that would imply the devs can't do with the game what they want. That's their right it's their game. That doesn't mean I have to like it. Telling people that they them being mad about something isn't ok is beyond dumb. 

35 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

They made alot of people and as well so idk if that even matters. I mean I wouldn't be surprised if they ended up losing more than they gained.

1 minute ago, Brooksie359 said:

They made alot of people and as well so idk if that even matters. I mean I wouldn't be surprised if they ended up losing more than they gained.

Show me a where the majority, or "a lot" is upset. A few loud voices doesn't speak for the majority, or any large percentage of the lot, so saying "a lot" needs to have measure in order to be able to discount any benefits gained.

6 hours ago, Sauron said:

Having issues with accuracy ONLY WHEN IT'S WOMEN is sexism, it shouldn't be too hard to wrap your mind around that.

Didn't COD WW2 have a fiasco where most of their weapons were entirely inaccurate. That counts as historical inaccuracy. 

With BFV the things I was confused about was the speed of the Churchill tanks and the guns.

For the most part battle field claims authenticity (non functional parts of the game) and the female character models is one of many issues surrounding it.

TBH even if it is not authentic, I hope they raise the skill ceiling in this title, BF1 held hands with way too many game mechanics