Outraged by the implementation of Women in Battlefield 5

Agonizel
Go to solution Solved by Agonizel,
1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

It feels out of place and forced, and I think most people feel that way.

The thing is, a lot of people such as myself - a battlefield fan - didn't care and it didn't felt out of place and forced. Why is that?
The discussion is in WHY does it feel out of place and forced for some people?

I explained it in my post and I'm gonna develop it explicitly again because there are various psychological phenomenons at work here and I could cite some for you:
1. Status Quo bias: people prefer when things remain the same. In BF5's case, they obviously changed something
2. Norms & Values: The discomfort of transgressed norms, not only that, but the expression of it. In fact, a during a very recent study of the university of ULB (I assisted to the lecture last month) the discrimination of LGBT people at work: in short, there was a theory that could be inducted with the data gathered: People that transgress the norm are not discriminated because they transgressed it, but because they show that they transgressed.

For instance, you get records of such conversations: "I hate muslim/gay people!" -"Well, I'm actually muslim/gay" -"Oh, you're okay because we don't notice it"
In case of BF5, they flagantry transgressed the norm of by presenting a woman as the new face of the game
3. The cognitive dissonance: which is the state of having inconsistent thoughts, beliefs, or attitudes: It's an extremely strong psychological state in which people won't accept their own incoherence (it's actually part of a defense mechanism to preserve self-integrity and thereby mental sanity), that's why even the most developed arguments won't even work.

No one wants to be sexist because it's socially undesirable. I believe many of the people complaining about the woman in the game also believe in equality between genders and women's rights. I believe they do not mean to be demeaning to women in any way. BUT the incoherence I exposed in the sole argument brought by those people which complains about historical inaccuracy (...):

1. Battlefield never pretended (in any game) to be historically accurate
2. There are many other bigger inaccuracies that didn't bother people that much

(...) shows that, the outrage may actually be (intended or not) sexism deflected (by the cognitive dissonance) behind the curtain of "historical accuracy". Because they ofcourse don't mean to be sexist, but they need to find a thing ("historical inaccuracy) to blame their discomfort on.

I'm sure there are many other phenomenons such as the lack of the ability of decentring which means being able to step outside of one's own truisms, cognitive scheme and preconceived, culturally anchored thoughts and ideas.

All in all, the status quo bias, norm&values, the cognitive dissonance are the main psychological phenomenons (I could observe in the people commenting against of the implementation of women in the game) that could explain their discomfort and the reason why they oppose this change. 

This is my last comment for this thread.

Message added by SansVarnic

Please remember the Community Standards when commenting.

Any derailment, political comments, name calling, baiting, etc will be met with removal of commentary and warnings issued.

This topic is a contested issue so lets remain civil with this discussion.

Hi community,

https://kotaku.com/oh-no-there-are-women-in-battlefield-v-182627545

In our time of outrage and widespread hostility bias against 3rd wave feminism we now have this:

People are MAD that a woman is now on the cover of Battlefield 5, because its "not historically" accurate

chaqtswpev8nubd5uykg.jpg

But like, that doesn’t even matter here. Any idea that this, of all things, is what shatters the credibility and historical credentials of a series that has long reduced the war to endless skirmishes between jeep-flipping, plane-crashing brave soldiers named 69XX_cvmlauder_xx69 is insane. Watch this trailer and tell me that, above everything else, it’s the gender and race of the combatants that seems unrealistic (...)

The author points out the flawed logic behind that argument trough out the article. Explaining that it's a video game with so much unrealistic elements in it and that complaining about the implementation of a female characters is pretty hypocritical. 

EDIT: They say women is unacceptable because of the "historic inaccuracy", but 
1. Battlefield never pretended (in any game) to be historically accurate
2. There are many other bigger inaccuracies that didn't bother people that much

Which shows that, the outrage may actually be (intended or not) sexism hiding behind the curtain of "historical accuracy"

It doesn’t bother them that a randomly-created soldier with no training can jump behind the controls of a complex fighter aircraft, or expertly handle a cross-section of enemy weapons. They don’t care that the streets of European cities aren’t recreated 1:1, or that uniform details aren’t strictly adhered to, or that Battlefield’s war is fought to time limits and kill counts.

Anyway, here's my opinion: I didn't give a single damn when a woman was presented as the face of Battlefield 5. It would be a lie to say I didn't notice the change in the trailer, I did notice it, but I was neutral about it.
I didn't even think about it until I read the comments where I saw people emotionally invested in the fact that there was a female character. 

I don't think the outraged are inherently sexist. The problem lies in the fact that a norm was transcended and the norm was having a man on the cover and playing with male characters. People always feel uncomfortable when a norm is transgressed to the point where they are motivated to act against it (e.g: manifestations against homosexuality etc.). Even if the outraged are not sexist, they do however demonstrate quite a sexist behavior.

Now, don't come with the "but the SJW are ruining blablabla" - they're not, the gameplay remains the same. It's just a woman get over it. EA/Dice put a woman on the cover because they wanted to.

When I play video games, I make female characters all the time and my friends as well because we like it. We have no political agenda behind it, it's just fun.

Fun. That's what a game is for. Now suck it up.

RGB & Fan control ULTIMATE GUIDE !

Literally people moaned on the BF forums about the lack of female soldiers, then this happens now people are crying and putting it behind a "political agenda" which is a load of bs. EA aren't the best company in the world, sure, but I think they've done some good worth this. But remember kids, NEVER PRE ORDER VIDEO GAMES NOR BELIEVE IN THE UNREAL HYPE, IT'S NMS ALL OVER AGAIN. 

Just now, Razor Blade said:

This day in age. Anything you do, anything you say, anything you believe in, anything you don't believe in...somewhere, someone will be offended.

Your profile picture has a car, I'm a eco kind of guy, that offends me, remove it or I'll erm-.. find something to flame you with......... 

/s

There are so many people that some of them are bound to be offended by anything. Just ignore them, they're sexist idiots.

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

WTF DO THEY WANT?!

No girls, "that's sexism! girls exist!".

Girl on the cover "Unacceptable! Not accurate!".

Geez, make up your mind.

I'm all for girls in games, i mean if you are a girl, you should be able to play as a girl. Imo you should be able to have the option, but that's it...

Also i prefer to look at a female butt instead of a male butt but whatever...

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

That is the culture of outrage. The SJW need to be outraged 24/7, and if they can't find any good reasons to be outraged they cling onto something so small, that it is rediculus.

To believe these are the same twats that complained that BF1 was too historically accurate and that made it boring and now they're whining about the character customization and women... Jesus T christ what is wrong with plebs these days ?

1 minute ago, TimeOmnivore said:

What's funny is that these people are complaining about historical accuracy, when women actually did fight in WWII.

And WW1 just on the russian side of things which is the only faction in ALL of bf1 that has women

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

I'm more outraged that the one woman has a prosthetic arm that somehow has a range of control that makes me think that no one who animated that even bothered to look into how those old fake limbs worked. Then there's the fact that everyone looks like a fucking fallout character.

All the forced diversity and ADA compliance aside, there's very little info about the game, but what they showed so far does not look promising. If they say "immersive" one more time I'll puke.

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

5 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

Also i prefer to look at a female butt instead of a male butt but whatever...

100% agree

I think half the problem is that  people are confused about which direction the game. You have to admit that from the trailer, its bloody difficult to tell.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

5 minutes ago, Some Random Member said:

That is the culture of outrage. The SJW need to be outraged 24/7, and if they can't find any good reasons to be outraged they cling onto something so small, that it is rediculus.

This isn't SJWs, this is the anti SJWs.

Like christ people play the game, not the politics.

- snip-

2 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

I think half the problem is that  people are confused about which direction the game. You have to admit that from the trailer, its bloody difficult to tell.

Yes, but that would be a more constructive thing to be worried of.

my view on this:

kotaku picked a couple of comments of trolls, haters, ... usual internet stuff and made a click bait article and someone at LTT forum fell for it.

You could do a article like this about almost everything, really what topic on the internet doesn't have people complaining about something?

some people got offended Linus wears socks with sandals, Kotaku reporting more on this, open the link and see the ads.

Life is much better when you don't give a crap about social media drama.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Now, the best worst thing that EA could make is to end the campaign like so: A male and the female character drop their guns and embrace each other with a romantic & fiery kiss under the sunset while all the jewish children being delivered from a concentration camp run towards them as they are now a mom & dad figure.

I would feast upon the anger of the outraged!

If anything the female character might be the superior choice. It's purely based off the "females are smaller" metric.

I can remember when Titanfall actually had a player base, the female character model was slimmer than the male character model. Smaller target = harder to hit. Also consider the wall running and jet-packing and some players would have a hard time and taking you out.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Well, I don't see that prosthetic-limb-female-Rambo as a searchlight operator(which btw was the most common military role for women in WWII) in this BFV trailer :)

Cosmic Council Department of Defense ; Interplanetary Class 3 Relations & Diplomatic Affairs - OFFICE 117

4 minutes ago, asus killer said:

my view on this:

kotaku picked a couple of comments of trolls, haters, ... usual internet stuff and made a click bait article and someone at LTT forum fell for it.

You could do a article like this about almost everything, really what topic on the internet doesn't have people complaining about something?

some people got offended Linus wears socks with sandals, Kotaku reporting more on this, open the link and see the ads.

"picked"

notmybattlefiledhuurrdurr.png

Women were not deployed in front line combat roles in WW2 other than for the Soviet Union and resistance fighters, these are the facts. Having a disabled British female soldier in the game is just embarrassing pandering to SJWs, and looks to be working judging from the likes of OP relishing the "outrage". While this is a very, very stupid decision from a historical accuracy perspective, it was a fantastic choice from a marketing perspective. Your average brain dead Kotaku or Polygon reader wouldn't have known BFV existed were it not for this, and they'll probably view buying the game as some kind of duty to prove they are an ally of SJW garbage.

28 minutes ago, Beer_Nontitju said:

Kotaku, the king of unbiased, ethical and fair journalism. /s

24 minutes ago, SC2Mitch said:

Literally people moaned on the BF forums about the lack of female soldiers, then this happens now people are crying and putting it behind a "political agenda" which is a load of bs. EA aren't the best company in the world, sure, but I think they've done some good worth this. But remember kids, NEVER PRE ORDER VIDEO GAMES NOR BELIEVE IN THE UNREAL HYPE, IT'S NMS ALL OVER AGAIN. 

Not the same people.

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus