Dark Rock Pro 4 or Dark Rock 4

Andrew Park

So basically I'm thinking of air cooling in the meshify C with x470-f from Asus with Dark Rock Pro 4 or Dark Rock 4 for the cpu. 

I saw some videos but it seems like that the Dark Rock 4 gives me alot of ram clearance but at the same time I love the beefy design of the Dark Rock Pro 4.

So which one should I buy then..Dark Rock 4 or Dark Rock Pro 4 

P.S. I'm going for an air cooled pc build because I think the air cooled version will fit better on the meshify c build

2 minutes ago, Pangea2017 said:

X470 so you have a r7 2700x?

nah I'm buying it soon so yup

Dark Rock pro 4 because it is big and (be)quiet.  YOu might aswell get the best cooling you can fit. Doesnt cost that much more either

1 minute ago, GoldenLag said:

Dark Rock pro 4 because it is big and (be)quiet.  YOu might aswell get the best cooling you can fit. Doesnt cost that much more either

Ok first of all I want to get the dark rock pro 4 because of its design and size and the quietness. Idc about price here but my concern is ram clearance on the x470-f strix mobo from asus if I use this cooler

Just now, Andrew Park said:

Ok first of all I want to get the dark rock pro 4 because of its design and size and the quietness. Idc about price here but my concern is ram clearance on the x470-f strix mobo from asus if I use this cooler

motherboard doesn't matter when it comes to RAM clearance, what ram are you using?

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

Just now, RKRiley said:

motherboard doesn't matter when it comes to RAM clearance, what ram are you using?

Corsair vengence led 3200 16GB (2x8GB)

13 minutes ago, Andrew Park said:

Corsair vengence led 3200 16GB (2x8GB)

from the looks of it you'd have to mount the fan on the back side of the cooler, but other than that it'll fit fine with the heatsink.

This is Guru3d's testing with dominator platinum (55mm, 6mm taller than the ram you've chosen) so you may even be able to keep the fan mounted on that side.

index.php?ct=articles&action=file&id=39257

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

4 minutes ago, RKRiley said:

from the looks of it you'd have to mount the fan on the back side of the cooler, but other than that it'll fit fine with the heatsink.

This is Guru3d's testing with dominator platinum (55mm, 6mm taller than the ram you've chosen) so you may even be able to keep the fan mounted on that side.

index.php?ct=articles&action=file&id=39257

well the problem here is that I wan't the fan to be facing the ram side..well I know that I can move the fan upwards but it'll block the led of the ram so..yeah..I do think that Dark Rock 4 could be better in my case but I still want that beefy feeling of the Pro 4 xD

9 hours ago, Andrew Park said:

well the problem here is that I wan't the fan to be facing the ram side..well I know that I can move the fan upwards but it'll block the led of the ram so..yeah..I do think that Dark Rock 4 could be better in my case but I still want that beefy feeling of the Pro 4 xD

Having fan on the other side doesn't matter in terms of performance. So your only reasoning at that point are looks. Which brings you conflict. Which part of looks you are willing to give away first, beefy cooler, fan on the intake side or LEDs?

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

6 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Having fan on the other side doesn't matter in terms of performance. So your only reasoning at that point are looks. Which brings you conflict. Which part of looks you are willing to give away first, beefy cooler, fan on the intake side or LEDs?

hmmmm...that's the conflict here..I want that beefy cooler with the led showing..or should I just go for the buck and get an aio xD

I have the much shorter dark rock pro 3. And my ram fits perfectly, I would not stress much about it and go for the  pro model

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K @4.9 GHz 6-Core Processor CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Dark Rock Pro 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU CoolerMotherboard: MSI - Z370I GAMING PRO CARBON AC Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard Memory: PNY - Anarchy 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 @3000 MemoryStorage: 960 evo 500gbVideo Card:place holderCase: Phanteks - Enthoo EVOLV ITX TG (Black) Mini ITX Desktop Case Power Supply:SeaSonic - EVO Edition 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply Case Fan: be quiet! - SilentWings 3 pwm 59.5 CFM &nbsp;140mm Fan Case Fan: be quiet! - SilentWings 3 PWM High-Speed 73.3 CFM &nbsp;120mm Fan Case Fan: be quiet! - SilentWings 3 PWM High-Speed 73.3 CFM &nbsp;120mm Fan Monitor: Dell - S2716DG 27.0" 2560x1440 144Hz Monitor Mouse: Place holder Sony H.ear on Wireless Noise Cancelling Headphone, Charcoal Black (MDR100ABN/B) &nbsp;LEOBOG K26 Wired RGB Mechanical Keyboard,Gaming Keyboard,RGB Color Backlight,104 Key,Anti-Ghosting For Full Key,Blue Switches,Aluminum Chassis,Detachable wrist rest,PC,Computer, Laptop,BLACK (Black)EZDIY-FAB Sleeved Cable - Cable extension for power supply with extra-sleeved 24 PIN 8PIN 6PIN 4+4 PIN With COMBS- Black Grey

pcpartpicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/resdal42/saved/sCW6XL

28 minutes ago, IAnthonyFX said:

I have the much shorter dark rock pro 3. And my ram fits perfectly, I would not stress much about it and go for the  pro model

The DRP3 isn't much shorter. It has 44mm of clearance for ram compared to the DRP4's 45-46mm. 

Vengeance LED at a height of 49mm won't fit under the heatsink.

17 hours ago, RKRiley said:

The photo shows the heatsink hanging over the first dimm slot. Seems to be the same case with the X470-F. 

Spoiler

ed8f601f164e9bc1fbb2d0132803e84d.png

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

4 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

The photo shows the heatsink hanging over the first dimm slot. Seems to be the same case with the X470-F. 

Hide contents

Is that board picky as to which dimm are populated though? Should still be fine using the ram in 2 and 4 rather than 1 and 3. 

As long as op doesn't want to have 4 sticks in future, anyway. 

2 minutes ago, RKRiley said:

Is that board picky as to which dimm are populated though? Should still be fine using the ram in 2 and 4 rather than 1 and 3. 

As long as op doesn't want to have 4 sticks in future, anyway. 

yeah I know I was already thinking of putting those rams in 2 and 4 but I'm just gonna go for nzxt kraken x52 lol I just don't want that ruined led of the rams

On 5/24/2018 at 5:49 AM, Andrew Park said:

So basically I'm thinking of air cooling in the meshify C with x470-f from Asus with Dark Rock Pro 4 or Dark Rock 4 for the cpu. 

I saw some videos but it seems like that the Dark Rock 4 gives me alot of ram clearance but at the same time I love the beefy design of the Dark Rock Pro 4.

So which one should I buy then..Dark Rock 4 or Dark Rock Pro 4 

P.S. I'm going for an air cooled pc build because I think the air cooled version will fit better on the meshify c build

save your self $10 and get le grand macho from thermalright its got a higher TDP of 300 watts  and the one fan is silent and will be quieter at full speed 1300RPM its also 100% ram compatibility even for an enthusiast platform  its also smaller than the DRP

Edited by Nogghan
size ram and noise

3 hours ago, Nogghan said:

save your self $10 and get le grand macho from thermalright its got a higher TDP of 300 watts  and the one fan is silent and will be quieter at full speed 1300RPM its also 100% ram compatibility even for an enthusiast platform  its also smaller than the DRP

Nah I changed my ram so all gud