Recommend a smartphone for old 'nokiabrick' user

Go to solution Solved by GoldenLag,
28 minutes ago, MoDRun said:

thanks a lot this really helps

Nokia linupp like the Nokia 7 and 8 should be good buy`s (but no AMOLED display, but good IPS display)

Best price Nokia 7 plus: https://www.elkjop.no/product/mobil-og-gps/mobiltelefon/NOK7PBK/nokia-7-plus-smarttelefon-sort-kobber?scid=Pricecomparison2989

Best price Nokia 8: https://www.elkjop.no/product/mobil-og-gps/mobiltelefon/NOK8BL/nokia-8-smarttelefon-herdet-bla?scid=Pricecomparison2989

Oneplus 6 should be one of the greatest value for money atm and the phones will alst a long time (great AMOLED display). you can also grab the oneplus 5t.

Best price Oneplus 6 64gb: https://www.proshop.no/Mobil/OnePlus-6-64GB-Mirror-Black-Dual-SIM/2655087?utm_source=prisjakt&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=pricesite

Best price Oneplus 6 128gb: https://www.proshop.no/Mobil/OnePlus-6-128GB-Mirror-Black-Dual-SIM/2655088?utm_source=prisjakt&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=pricesite

Gonna slide in the Mate 9 Pro, but note that the price is a bit high and it is year old. also OS support probably wont be the longest. not too familiar with Huawei OS support

Huawei Mate 9 Pro: https://www.proshop.no/Mobil/Huawei-Mate-9-Pro-Titanium-Grey-Dual-SIM/2574528?utm_source=prisjakt&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=pricesite

thing to note is that you should decide if you want capacite buttons at the bottom or you want them integrated into the screen. ive listed a few phones with differnet flavors in terms of layout. hoepfully one suits you.

dont decide on a flavor of phone you dont like

Need a smartphone to replace an old nokia Nokia 5220 (?)

Please list the reasons of why you chose what you recommend me, multiple recommendations of different price points probably helps too.

* I probably dont want any iphone stuff, i dont have any other apple stuff either so it wouldnt make any sense.
* I really have no idea about what price i want a phone for. Lets just say i can afford the most expensive phone if thats the best choice/value.
* Might want a newer phone /or one with a longer lifespan (i heard something about phones only being supported for a couple years etc)

* Needs to be durable - and/or screen & case protectorsi
* Needs long battery life - and/or battery bank recommendations etc
* Doesnt necessarily have to be powerful for games, can use a nintendo switch or something for stuff like that instead. - but might need to be powerful for some other programstuff i havent thought about(?)
* Preferably a good camera for pictures and some video. good in bad/low light if possible and be simple to use. - (not having to add a bunch of filters to get a good picture/video)
* Needs ear bud plug connector
* I like a nice design but not a necessity as its probably going to be covered over with a phne protector of some kind (?)

I cant think of anything else since i have no clue

Just now, LukeSavenije said:

if you have the money for it, get a oneplus 6

why exactly? i have no phone knowledge. - what makes it worth it to me based on my listed points?

4 minutes ago, MoDRun said:

* I probably dont want any iphone stuff, i dont have any other apple stuff either so it wouldnt make any sense.
* I really have no idea about what price i want a phone for. Lets just say i can afford the most expensive phone if thats the best choice/value.
* Might want a newer phone /or one with a longer lifespan (i heard something about phones only being supported for a couple years etc)

* Needs to be durable - and/or screen & case protectorsi
* Needs long battery life - and/or battery bank recommendations etc
* Doesnt necessarily have to be powerful for games, can use a nintendo switch or something for stuff like that instead. - but might need to be powerful for some other programstuff i havent thought about(?)
* Preferably a good camera for pictures and some video. good in bad/low light if possible and be simple to use. - (not having to add a bunch of filters to get a good picture/video)
* Needs ear bud plug connector
* I like a nice design but not a necessity as its probably going to be covered over with a phne protector of some kind (?)

I cant think of anything else since i have no clue

Get a galaxy s8 active, or any previous version, really nice phones :)

great battery, delivered with screen protector, still powerfull with the newest snapdragon, great camera, headphonejack, fully made with gorilla glass 5.

and for the price of 520 euro's. way cheaper then phones have the same power

I don't think there's any requirement met your expectation by current standard

Most phone today are pre-planned obselete build into design.

if you were okay without one until today, I don't think you need one ever, specially with todays technology everything on a phone can be done with computer (and mostly vice versa).

1 minute ago, Blebekblebek said:

I don't think there's any requirement met your expectation by current standard

Most phone today are pre-planned obselete build into design.

if you were okay without one until today, I don't think you need one ever, specially with todays technology everything on a phone can be done with computer (and mostly vice versa).

reason why i havent had a smartphone til now is because i almost never leave the house so its true i probably dont need 1 still as i got my pc
but when going to diff countrys etc it would help with gps and email and textchat and stuff
and i need something to take decently good pictures/videos with anyway so thought it would be a good combo device

I guess a nokia 5 is more than enough.

And it will get updates for at least 2 years because it runs android one or something, don't know the details. But at least updates are guaranteed for a few years.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

6 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

I guess a nokia 5 is more than enough.

And it will get updates for at least 2 years because it runs android one or something, don't know the details. But at least updates are guaranteed for a few years.

Thanks ill look into it

18 minutes ago, wojtepanik said:

Get a galaxy s8 active, or any previous version, really nice phones :)

looks interesting but it doesnt look like they are available in norway so not sure :3 

get a phone within the android one program if you want long OS update. Nokia among others are within that program. Oneplus will give you value for money and long time OS updates. 

id pick up a Oneplus 6 or 5t. since good value. and great durability. 

you might want to have a look at the Huawei mate 9 pro. its last year model with huge battery and decent camera. a bit fragile glass imo though. 

The google Pixel 2 will give you a great camera as well as it is last year so it shouldnt be too expencive. the Pixel 3 is coming out soon, but the Pixel 2 should still be a good buy.

also the Nokia 7 should suit your requirements well. Good camera with Zeiss optics aswell as it a part of Android On program. it should then have long OS support. 

Samsung makes great phones, but they have a spotty record in terms of having OS updates after the next gen of their phones come out

1 minute ago, MoDRun said:

looks interesting but it doesnt look like they are available in norway so not sure :3 

i can have a direct look on norwegian websites. give me a moment.  all my previous suggestions should be there, but Google pixel nor Huawei mate 9 pro wont be worth it due to price at Norwegian stores.

3 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

get a phone within the android one program if you want long OS update. Nokia among others are within that program. Oneplus will give you value for money and long time OS updates. 

id pick up a Oneplus 6 or 5t. since good value. and great durability. 

you might want to have a look at the Huawei mate 9 pro. its last year model with huge battery and decent camera. a bit fragile glass imo though. 

The google Pixel 2 will give you a great camera as well as it is last year so it shouldnt be too expencive. the Pixel 3 is coming out soon, but the Pixel 2 should still be a good buy.

also the Nokia 7 should suit your requirements well. Good camera with Zeiss optics aswell as it a part of Android On program. it should then have long OS support. 

Samsung makes great phones, but they have a spotty record in terms of having OS updates after the next gen of their phones come out

41 minutes ago, MoDRun said:

Blackberry KeyOne.

You'll feel right at home.

Android-powered, real qwerty keyboard. 'nuff said

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

3 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Blackberry KeyOne.

You'll feel right at home.

Android-powered, real qwerty keyboard. 'nuff said

tbh i dont think a hardware keyboard is something i need but alright

28 minutes ago, MoDRun said:

Nokia linupp like the Nokia 7 and 8 should be good buy`s (but no AMOLED display, but good IPS display)

Best price Nokia 7 plus: https://www.elkjop.no/product/mobil-og-gps/mobiltelefon/NOK7PBK/nokia-7-plus-smarttelefon-sort-kobber?scid=Pricecomparison2989

Best price Nokia 8: https://www.elkjop.no/product/mobil-og-gps/mobiltelefon/NOK8BL/nokia-8-smarttelefon-herdet-bla?scid=Pricecomparison2989

Oneplus 6 should be one of the greatest value for money atm and the phones will alst a long time (great AMOLED display). you can also grab the oneplus 5t.

Best price Oneplus 6 64gb: https://www.proshop.no/Mobil/OnePlus-6-64GB-Mirror-Black-Dual-SIM/2655087?utm_source=prisjakt&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=pricesite

Best price Oneplus 6 128gb: https://www.proshop.no/Mobil/OnePlus-6-128GB-Mirror-Black-Dual-SIM/2655088?utm_source=prisjakt&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=pricesite

Gonna slide in the Mate 9 Pro, but note that the price is a bit high and it is year old. also OS support probably wont be the longest. not too familiar with Huawei OS support

Huawei Mate 9 Pro: https://www.proshop.no/Mobil/Huawei-Mate-9-Pro-Titanium-Grey-Dual-SIM/2574528?utm_source=prisjakt&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=pricesite

thing to note is that you should decide if you want capacite buttons at the bottom or you want them integrated into the screen. ive listed a few phones with differnet flavors in terms of layout. hoepfully one suits you.

dont decide on a flavor of phone you dont like

Edited by GoldenLag

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, I know you're not into Apple Stuff, but you might want to consider the iPhone SE. It's small, cheap, powerful, and good camera. Even the front camera is good albeit being 1.2mp only. Believe me, the front camera of the SE beats an Oppo F5 on low light.

For durability, no smartphone is as durable as the brick ones from way back. It all boils down to the case you're gonna put. As an iPhone, there are tons of case and screen protectors you can get for this tiny beast. Personally, I'm using a Spigen Thin Fit case for my iPhone SE and no screen protector. The Spigen Thin Fit is not the toughest case by any means, but I've dropped my phone a couple of times, but not a single scratch or dent. It would be a different story if you drop it on an uneven surface though.

For battery life, it offers a really good standby time and some 5 hours of mixed usage, translating to a good full day. Also, one thing I like about this phone is it's capability to charge from almost anywhere. It can charge from your laptop, radio, tv, or just about any USB port you would see. This is due to the small battery capacity of the phone. I've had a Lenovo P2, Huawei P10, and Galaxy S8 prior to the SE. The Lenovo P2 is the battery king of phones, but it won't charge from a laptop. The P10 and the S8 charges from a laptop, but it is painstakingly slow. You would drain more battery by having the screen on while charging from a laptop. Also, my S8 drains around 20% of battery overnight while the SE drains only 2%. Really big difference in standby time. For the camera, the SE beats the Lenovo P2 and surprisingly, the P10 as well. Not the S8 though. Samsung flagship phones are camera beasts.

Oh wait another thing. Fingerprint scanner. The P2 fingerprint scanner is really fast and accurate, but the button is made of plastic and gets scratched easily. It's the same story with the S8, but the fingerprint scanner on the S8 is shinier, thus it hides the scratches easily. As for the P10, the fingerprint scanner is glass, thus it doesn't scratch but the accuracy is a miss on my experience. As for the SE, the fingerprint is also glass, thus it doesn't scratch, speed is not on par with flagships, but I like it the best for its accuracy. Reviewers say that the SE has the same fingerprint scanner as the 5s. But that's very untrue in my experience. I also have a 5s along with the SE, the scanning speed is the same, but the accuracy is way better on the SE.

Watch this youtube channel as well, it's really fun and he tackles smartphone durability.

https://www.youtube.com/user/JerryRigEverything

Hope it helps

On 01/06/2018 at 12:56 PM, forregacc02 said:

Hey, I know you're not into Apple Stuff, but you might want to consider the iPhone SE. It's small, cheap, powerful, and good camera. Even the front camera is good albeit being 1.2mp only. Believe me, the front camera of the SE beats an Oppo F5 on low light.

For durability, no smartphone is as durable as the brick ones from way back. It all boils down to the case you're gonna put. As an iPhone, there are tons of case and screen protectors you can get for this tiny beast. Personally, I'm using a Spigen Thin Fit case for my iPhone SE and no screen protector. The Spigen Thin Fit is not the toughest case by any means, but I've dropped my phone a couple of times, but not a single scratch or dent. It would be a different story if you drop it on an uneven surface though.

For battery life, it offers a really good standby time and some 5 hours of mixed usage, translating to a good full day. Also, one thing I like about this phone is it's capability to charge from almost anywhere. It can charge from your laptop, radio, tv, or just about any USB port you would see. This is due to the small battery capacity of the phone. I've had a Lenovo P2, Huawei P10, and Galaxy S8 prior to the SE. The Lenovo P2 is the battery king of phones, but it won't charge from a laptop. The P10 and the S8 charges from a laptop, but it is painstakingly slow. You would drain more battery by having the screen on while charging from a laptop. Also, my S8 drains around 20% of battery overnight while the SE drains only 2%. Really big difference in standby time. For the camera, the SE beats the Lenovo P2 and surprisingly, the P10 as well. Not the S8 though. Samsung flagship phones are camera beasts.

Oh wait another thing. Fingerprint scanner. The P2 fingerprint scanner is really fast and accurate, but the button is made of plastic and gets scratched easily. It's the same story with the S8, but the fingerprint scanner on the S8 is shinier, thus it hides the scratches easily. As for the P10, the fingerprint scanner is glass, thus it doesn't scratch but the accuracy is a miss on my experience. As for the SE, the fingerprint is also glass, thus it doesn't scratch, speed is not on par with flagships, but I like it the best for its accuracy. Reviewers say that the SE has the same fingerprint scanner as the 5s. But that's very untrue in my experience. I also have a 5s along with the SE, the scanning speed is the same, but the accuracy is way better on the SE.

Watch this youtube channel as well, it's really fun and he tackles smartphone durability.

https://www.youtube.com/user/JerryRigEverything

Hope it helps

i got the oneplus 6, havent started using it yet but working on it

On 6/2/2018 at 9:46 PM, MoDRun said:

i got the oneplus 6, havent started using it yet but working on it

Great choice for a smartphone. I hope you enjoy your new device! ^_^