Is this an ok audio setup

I have a Razer Kraken v2 headset but I am not enjoying how much bass it has and it doesn't sound all that great just using my creative sound blaster g1 usb sound card.  Otherwise its the best headset I have ever had. Would pairing it with the following hardware help the sound? they would be stacked in the order I say them.  A schiit Modi 2 multibit DAC, a Schiit SYS Pre-Amp, a Schiit Loki tone controller, and finally a Schiit Magni 3 headphone amp.  this would total to be ~$546 U.S.  While I would not say I am looking for the best audio ever, I want a great one.  Music is a big part of my life, even more than gaming is, and I want to get it right.

I wouldn't recommend it. I'm by no means an audiophile but that much gear won't magically make your headset sound amazing. I've got the same headset (but the 7.1 virtual surround version). It's a decent set of cans but you need to invest in better headphones than the Krakens. There are plenty of audio setups for less than $550 that would blow that out of the water.  I'm not dissing the gear but you just won't get an incredible improvement. The improvement will definitely be there but probably not as much as you want.

The Sennheiser HD 660(s) may be a good option for you (paired with a DAC/AMP). It'd be a bit more expensive buying from somewhere like Amazon, but I've found many things selling on eBay brand new for a huge discount. Seriously if you truly want to listen to music then get some real headphones.

13 minutes ago, Skylatian said:

The Sennheiser HD 660(s) may be a good option for you (paired with a DAC/AMP). It'd be a bit more expensive buying from somewhere like Amazon, but I've found many things selling on eBay brand new for a huge discount. Seriously if you truly want to listen to music then get some real headphones.

Can I get a recommendation for a closed back headset or semi open.  Its the reason why I was just going to keep the krakens was I like the look. 

16 minutes ago, Skylatian said:

I wouldn't recommend it. I'm by no means an audiophile but that much gear won't magically make your headset sound amazing. I've got the same headset (but the 7.1 virtual surround version). It's a decent set of cans but you need to invest in better headphones than the Krakens. There are plenty of audio setups for less than $550 that would blow that out of the water.  I'm not dissing the gear but you just won't get an incredible improvement. The improvement will definitely be there but probably not as much as you want.

I wasn't looking for a night and day difference just enough that music would be more enjoyable at the very least.

Go and read the pinned threads in the audio section, most importantly this one:

Without reading the comments, no. Dear god, no. Please no.

Buy yourself a better pair of real headphones, and maybe a headphone amp/DAC. Spending nearly $600 on Razer gaming headphones is ludicrous. The ONLY advantage to them is a (most likely) poor attached mic. Get yourself a $20 webcam for a mic and some real headphones you can use literally anywhere else.

Also, for $600 you can get yourself a frickin kickass real stereo that 100% blows headphones out of the water.

*edit

I mean, I know there's some snobs out there, but I got a Yamaha 5.1 receiver + all speakers for ~$350, and it WILL outperform headphones 100% of the time.

With a larger budget and only needing to buy stereo, you can get some REALLY amazing Klipsch even.

BTW, I highly recommend the Yamaha receivers. Excellent software, and plenty of features.

#Muricaparrotgang

Spending $600 on a Razer headphone setup? Ditch that POS, get a real headset and maybe even buy a tube headphone amplifier, if you have such taste and budget. I once tried my Mark V with a headset, never heard such clean tone out of my Suhr like that before. A good tube setup can take a headphone to another level.

Sorry I have not been on the forums to reply, I have decided to get a different headset.  I am thinking on purchasing the Audeze (nuts) Mobius headset with head tracking.  I have only recently within the last week or two found it, and watched a Head-Fi HQ video on it so it seems promising.

10 hours ago, JZStudios said:

Without reading the comments, no. Dear god, no. Please no.

lol, so true.

Here is a rule of thumb for ya. The price of your headset should be equal to the price of your dac. Also, please stay away from gaming headphone for music. Its like bringing your fixed up honda civic to nascar.

CPU: 8600k @4.9  (1.39v) |  Cooler: NH-U14s | Mobo: Asus Strix z390i | Ram: Gskill DDR4 Trident Z 3600 8GB x 2 16-16-16-36

GPU: Gigabyte G1 1080 GTX | Case: Prodigy ITX | Fans: NH-A14, (exhaust) NH-A12, (intake) NH-A20 (intake)

Samsung EVO 1tb | Samsung EVO 512gb x2 | Intel ssd 128gb

PSU: Powerstation 500W

3 hours ago, Draeft-Lore said:

Sorry I have not been on the forums to reply, I have decided to get a different headset.  I am thinking on purchasing the Audeze (nuts) Mobius headset with head tracking.  I have only recently within the last week or two found it, and watched a Head-Fi HQ video on it so it seems promising.

why do you want to go from one mid range expensive headset to another.

if you want good audio get regular headphones and add any microphone you want to it.

7 hours ago, Pixel5 said:

why do you want to go from one mid range expensive headset to another.

if you want good audio get regular headphones and add any microphone you want to it.

Head tracking surround sound by audeze which is not a mid tier brand, from what I can tell.  Senhiser's look like shit, fuck the 600's they look hideous. If you can find a good closed back headphones that look good and sound good let me know.

Beats?

I mean, if you're going for "looks" over actual quality then sorry, good sound design can oft lead into "Ugly works best" rather than form over function.

I just... what application are you trying to use these for? Music? Why do you need head tracking for music? Games? Again, same question, you should just be looking at the screen. If you just want audio, seriously, go with speakers that will kick the shit out of headphones.

You want closed back, do you want isolation or do you just not like the look of the open mesh grill? Which is ironic since the Audeze appears to fake that look.

I found this link/review which states that the audio is a little lackluster, so you'd be moving sideways, not upwards. https://www.theverge.com/2018/3/14/17118960/audezes-mobius-headphones-gaming-3d-audio

He does state that the head tracking works well, but I REALLY can't imagine why you'd ever need that. I'm either listening to music, or playing games, and in both instances I just don't move my head much.

Also, I've obviously not tried THESE specific headphones, but the "surround" mixing can be done on ANY pair of headphones, and any decent stereo recording (binaural) will give the sense of presence. In other terms, every software implementation I've yet seen to give "surround" sound to headphones has always been garbage and does nothing but reduce audio quality. Keep in mind I also have a real 5.1 setup, so I have a direct comparison.

I occasionally shuffle through Best Buy to kill time, and actually came across a rather surprising set of Sony headphones.

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-Noise-Cancelling-Headphones-WH1000XM2/dp/B074KDJVS2

The noise cancellation was better than the Bose, has plenty of bass, good battery life, and most importantly, actually sounded pretty damn good.

#Muricaparrotgang

I also need the headset to work with an xbox one, my future PC ps4 and switch.  And the ease of 1 wire helps.  I have looked into the MassDrop x AKG 7XX because those are good looking open back headphones.  the problem lies with I need a mod mic then which means a second cable I need to manage which is a nuisance if I am swapping for xbox to PC to PS4 and switch dependent on what my friends are playing and what I feel like playing.

I need them for music, but I have a priority in gaming also.  I want to get good at a competitive game in the chance to go pro. 

Maybe you could buy one pair of headphones for music and one for gaming. Dedicated audio cards already have better than average dacs and amps, you could upgrade for an external amp/DAC combo later on if you feel like you want more and for now you could just focus on headsets first. For the music headset you might try go to an audio store, they let you try all the headphones you like =)