Battlefield 5 Revealed [Update 2] - No more Premium Edition and No Lootboxes

AlTech

EA has revealed Battlefield 5 aka Battlefield V.

This new Battlefield game is going back to WW2 where the series started around 16 years ago.

Battlefield-5-release-date-964263.jpg

There are a few main takeaways from the reveal.

These are:

• Battlefield Premium Edition is dead - Everybody who owns BF5 gets access to all the same maps.
  • Battlefield 5 is a Live Services game with new content coming on a regular basis after launch
  • Battlefield 5 will not be pay to win but EA has not mentioned lootboxes at all
  • Cosmetic Skin Micro-transactions appear to be how EA will make money post launch
  • There are new modes and operations

I've added some more info from Polygon since they had an exclusive interview with DICE and EA.

One area of Battlefield 5 which the devs really went to town on is "The Company" aka the new load-out system:

In Battlefield 5, every player will be able to outfit and customize a number of different soldiers in their stable, referred to as the Company. Every soldier will be fully customizable, including characteristics such as gender, race, facial features and hair. Each character will have a designated class, pulled from the four traditional Battlefield roles of assault, engineer/pilot, support and medic. As characters accumulate experience, they will be able to unlock different subclasses, referred to as Archetypes. That will allow players to specialize down a certain path, such as an anti-tank role for a particular class, although DICE’s presentation was light on details.

What is certain, however, is that whenever a player steps into any multiplayer game mode, they’ll be playing as one of the soldiers in their Company. Progress is accrued and carried over between every mode.

DICE was explicit in stating that gameplay progress has been completely divorced from cosmetic unlocks. Anything that alters the performance of your soldiers must be earned through play.

Here's what DICE and EA have done regrading the new game modes:

In addition to the traditional multiplayer sandbox warfare that the series is known for, Battlefield 5 will introduce two new modes. Combined Arms will feature teams of up to four players all playing cooperatively. Grand Operations will be massive, multi-match engagements that tell the story of a lengthy, multiday battle with 64 players. The outcome of each match will have an impact on the gameplay in the next successive match and, in some situations, can even conclude with a brutal sudden-death playoff.

This time around SQUAD based gameplay is a necessity:

In Battlefield 5 multiplayer, players will always be attached to a squad. There’s no longer an option to join a match as a single player and go it alone. To that end, DICE is leaning into the squad mechanics in several important ways.

First is the idea of scarcity. When you enter a match, you won’t be fully topped off with ammunition and supplies. You might have enough rounds of ammo to eke out a few kills, but you and your squadmates will have to plan ahead to resupply. Additionally, every player in a squad will be able to revive every other player in that squad. Medics will be the only class capable of bringing any player back to life, and the only class capable of bringing players back to full life.

Just as WWII expanded and changed, so too will the multiplayer experience of Battlefield 5. DICE refers to that system as Tides of War.

What it will do is give players a sense of momentum and a reason to stick with the game over time. Certain cosmetic items, such as vehicles, weapon components or component skins, will only be available at certain times. As the Tides of War roll over, you’ll be able to prove that you were there for a pivotal engagement based on the items that your soldier wears into combat.

The end result, DICE said, is to keep players interested and engaged in the multiplayer aspects of the game over a longer time frame. The side effect will be that everyone on the battlefield will look completely different.

The game will be released on October 19th 2018.

EA Play customers will have access to the open beta in June.

Other big news confirmed by EA includes the fact that there will be no Premium Pass in Battlefield 5.

That means all post launch content will be open to all players, although details are still thin on the ground.

It’s expected that some kind of cosmetic microtransaction system will be employed, so fans will want to keep an eye on the new updates coming next month.

So yeah, cool stuff. I will consider buying it at launch if there are no lootboxes.

[Update 2]

It would appear that EA has confirmed to IGN that the game will not contain any lootboxes. The only forms of post-launch monetization will be micro-transactions.

Source:

https://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/gaming/964263/Battlefield-5-release-date-reveal-live-stream-October-Xbox-One-PS4

https://www.polygon.com/2018/5/23/17385250/battlefield-5-gameplay-preview-pc-ps4-xbox-one

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

no DLC (besides stuff that doesn't matter.. like skins)? pay $60 and you get access to the full game?

Guys is it finally happening ?!?!?!?! the era of pay once, play your game, and be done is back?!

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

There will be lootboxes guaranteed. I think the end of the premium pass is a big indication for it. But if it is only customization and can be obtained fully by playing I think I'm good with this. Unless no stupid amount of game time is required for it...

Now gameplay wise I'm extremely worried about explosions fiddling with the movement? Did I get that right? So if a grenade explodes next to you, you will stumble to the side? If that's true that will be a BIG no no. Have they never played Metro or Locker? Seriously?

Also I didn't quite get that Company thingy. What is that supposed to be? A rename of the load-outs? That is what it seems to me. Being able to create multiple soldiers with different type of equipment? Sounds like loud-outs to me. Not really worth mentioning.

If you find any grammar or spelling errors please fill out entry permit A38, thanks.

Greetings from germany

Profilepicture by Chibiterasu-chan

RIP Call Of Duty.

Press F to pay respects.

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Just now, crosstiger said:

Also I didn't quite get that Company thingy. What is that supposed to be? A rename of the load-outs? That is what it seems to me. Being able to create multiple soldiers with different type of equipment? Sound like loud-outs to me. Not really worth mentioning.

Or maybe overwatch style hereos

3 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

no DLC (besides stuff that doesn't matter.. like skins)? pay $60 and you get access to the full game?

Probaly still going to be like what R6 is rn

My life

1 minute ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

RIP Call Of Duty.

Press F to pay respects.

Did you change your profile pic or something? You're a mod with 10k posts and I somehow don't recognize you... I'm really bad with names.

This sounds alot like what they did with bad company 2 back in the day. I have high hopes for this one. 

Just now, JoeyDM said:

Did you change your profile pic or something? You're a mod with 10k posts and I somehow don't recognize you... I'm really bad with names.

Yes, it used to be an Intel logo. :P

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

5 minutes ago, crosstiger said:

There will be lootboxes guaranteed. I think the end of the premium pass is a big indication for it. But if it is only customization and can be obtained fully by playing I think I'm good with this. Unless no stupid amount of game time is required for it...

I don't think they'd risk having a paid lootboxes backlash again.

Besides, since SW: Battlefront 2 came out, many countries are considering new legislation and some countries have implemented new legislation regarding lootboxes and classifying some types as gambling with others containing gambling mechanics.

Now gameplay wise I'm extremely worried about explosions fiddling with the movement? Did I get that right? So if a grenade explodes next to you, you will stumble to the side? If that's true that will be a BIG no no. Have they never played Metro or Locker? Seriously?

I really did like both Metro and Lockers from BF4.

Also I didn't quite get that Company thingy. What is that supposed to be? A rename of the load-outs? That is what it seems to me. Being able to create multiple soldiers with different type of equipment? Sound like loud-outs to me. Not really worth mentioning.

Yup their Company thingy is basically load-outs except they're making them more important. They said in the livestream that they want players to balance out their company thing based on what their team has.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Pretty sure that Battlefield V has been confirmed to have loot boxes before the official reveal.  Just the difference is that it's cosmetic.  Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Spoiler

| Ryzen 7 3700X  | Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 | ASUS Crosshair VII Hero Wi-Fi | MSI RTX 2080 Gaming X Trio | Corsair Vengeance RGB 15-17-17-35 3000mhz 16GB | 250GB Samsung 970 EVO | 500GB Samsung 850 EVO | 1TB Western Digital Blue | Fractal Design Define R6 | EVGA 750W G2 | Phanteks DRGB Strip | Windows 10 Pro  --> Personal Build

| Intel i7-4720HQ | 16gb RAM 1333mhz | 1TB Western Digital Blue | NVidia GTX 960m 4GB | Windows 10 Home --> Laptop

I know Battlefield has never been very historically accurate, and I'm fine with that, but I can't help but want to shout at the screen.  "The Germans never used V1 rockets on the battlefield!  Fighter aircraft didn't fly that low unless they were trying to get themselves killed!"

Then again, if it was realistic, most players would never fire their gun, and one hit would either kill them or knock them out of the war.

1 minute ago, shunpohlol said:

Pretty sure that Battlefield V has been confirmed to have loot boxes before the official reveal.  Just the difference is that it's cosmetic.  Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

They didn't mention it on the livestream. Their only comment on monetization was that it's a $60 game and there's no Pay to win.

9 minutes ago, Commodus said:

I know Battlefield has never been very historically accurate, and I'm fine with that, but I can't help but want to shout at the screen.  "The Germans never used V1 rockets on the battlefield!  Fighter aircraft didn't fly that low unless they were trying to get themselves killed!"

Then again, if it was realistic, most players would never fire their gun, and one hit would either kill them or knock them out of the war.

I've given up on realistic aspects in Battlefield and COD. They are wanting to be inclusive at the expense of realism and that includes very alpha equipment that was never fired during the time frame.

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

8 minutes ago, Commodus said:

Hey you've been shot, someone is transporting you into the infirmary. You will see a doctor in 24h. And you will be greeted with a lootbox determining how many weeks you have to wait to be resent on the battlefield! Then you have another lootbox to determine how hot is the nurse you'll be looking at every time you launch the game until you are allowed to fight again!

23 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

Guys is it finally happening ?!?!?!?! the era of pay once, play your game, and be done is back?!

In your dreams my friend. There is guaranteed some shady loot boxes in it. 

3 minutes ago, Hunter259 said:

I've given up on realistic aspects in Battlefield and COD. They are wanting to be inclusive at the expense of realism and that includes very alpha equipment that was never fired during the time frame.

I'm okay with that, in no small part because it isn't strictly new.  There was an old, old flight sim, Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe, that had you flying aircraft that never escaped the prototype stage or only saw very limited use.  Fun as hell, but definitely not accurate. :P

Its still shit, as you used to be able to earn items such as skins within games. Without any micro transaction system in the game.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Just now, Commodus said:

I'm okay with that, in no small part because it isn't strictly new.  There was an old, old flight sim, Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe, that had you flying aircraft that never escaped the prototype stage or only saw very limited use.  Fun as hell, but definitely not accurate. :P

I'm not a big fan of it when you are plastering WW2 all over it. That game sounds really cool because it's not trying to be superbly realistic. Prototypes and drawings are fine by me there.

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

>Looks at BF4 reveal trailer

Oh heck yeah.

>Looks at BF1 reveal trailer

Oh heck yeah.

>Looks at BF5 reveal trailer

Oh heck no. Hopefully the actual launch trailer is different.

Loved playing BF3 + BF4. Never got into BF1. Going to skip BF5 I think.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

15 minutes ago, Sampsy said:

Well from that video it looks like we'll be seeing cosmetic microtransactions galore. It's not ideal - I'm sure the multiplayer will be more of a carnival than an atmospheric, historical shooter but it's much preferred from anything pay to win. 

From the release trailer it looked more like COD with explosions everywhere, throwing back grenades,random machine gun spraying,taking out an airplane with MG42 hipfire.

All the customization is nice but at the same time it makes the game feel more like a more modern era game with soldiers running around in badass jackets and trenchcoats.

10 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

They didn't mention it on the livestream. Their only comment on monetization was that it's a $60 game and there's no Pay to win.

This is EA they're going to have some way of getting more than $60 out of their customers, the soldier and weapon cosmetics would be a really easy way to do it, if not later locking out soldiers and vehicles.

1 minute ago, Dabombinable said:

Its still shit, as you used to be able to earn items such as skins within games. Without any micro transaction system in the game.

1 minute ago, DildorTheDecent said:

>Looks at BF4 reveal trailer

Oh heck yeah.

>Looks at BF1 reveal trailer

Oh heck yeah.

>Looks at BF5 reveal trailer

Oh heck no. Hopefully the actual launch trailer is different.

Loved playing BF3 + BF4. Never got into BF1. Going to skip BF5 I think.

Time to download BF4 again :D.

Lol. Sad but true. 

Just now, Blademaster91 said:

From the release trailer it looked more like COD with explosions everywhere, throwing back grenades,random machine gun spraying,taking out an airplane with MG42 hipfire.

All the customization is nice but at the same time it makes the game feel more like a more modern era game with soldiers running around in badass jackets and trenchcoats.

This is EA they're going to have some way of getting more than $60 out of their customers, the soldier and weapon cosmetics would be a really easy way to do it, if not later locking out soldiers and vehicles.

I think they also said weapons and vehicles and really anything that affects gameplay can only be unlocked through gameplay.

Cosmetic Skin Micro-transactions are looking very likely as a source of revenue.

7 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Time to download BF4 again :D.

Lol. Sad but true. 

I haven't actually played BF4 past about the middle of the campaign. Or BF3 at all for that matter. I kind of found the game play a let down after playing BF1942 for so long.

I really should re-buy BF2 though-I really loved that game.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL