12 KILOMETER Wi-Fi - SUCCESS!!!

1 hour ago, Zodiark1593 said:

My grandparents live in a rural area where their neighbors can get high speed internet, but they'e stuck on 1.5 mbps DSL. Long range wifi would fix this with minimal hassle and expense.

I would say you've already got this with 4G LTE and soon 5G microwave

These are set frequencies reserved for high speed internet

Check out some of these LTE routers

https://www.amazon.co.uk/slp/lte-router/djrydx94bryh7k4

My Rig "Valiant"  Intel® Core™ i7-5930 @3.5GHz ; Asus X99 DELUXE 3.1 ; Corsair H110i ; Corsair Dominator Platinium 64GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4 ; 2 x 6GB ASUS NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980 Ti Strix ; Corsair Obsidian Series 900D ; Samsung 950 Pro NVME + Samsung 850 Pro SATA + HDD Western Digital Black - 2TB ; Corsair AX1500i Professional 80 PLUS Titanium ; x3 Samsung S27D850T 27-Inch WQHD Monitor

1 hour ago, mark_cameron said:

I would say you've already got this with 4G LTE and soon 5G microwave

These are set frequencies reserved for high speed internet

Check out some of these LTE routers

https://www.amazon.co.uk/slp/lte-router/djrydx94bryh7k4

Would need to be uncapped LTE to do the job as my grandparents use Netflix instead of cable or satellite (albeit, at crap quality due to the slow DSL).

Edit: though my cell signal tends to be very poor there at best.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

On 5/24/2018 at 9:43 PM, mark_cameron said:

Some areas of the UK have had 5Ghz region allocated to mobile phone networks

Hence my concern

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/manage-your-licence/radiocommunication-licences/pmse/pmse-technical-info/video-links/5-ghzhttps://www.ofcom.org.uk/manage-your-licence/radiocommunication-licences/pmse/pmse-technical-info/video-links/5-ghz

And

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2017/07/ofcom-speeds-uk-wi-fi-networks-adding-5-8ghz-spectrum-

Fixed outdoor use in 5Ghz is banned 

Also this:

Says some equipment legal in the United States in 5Ghz region band C (5.8Ghz etc)

Is illegal in EU/UK without a licence

https://www.solwise.co.uk/downloads/files/intheuk5ghz.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwiV0fS6i5_bAhWrI8AKHVsrDmAQFjAGegQIABAB&usg=AOvVaw2Tbc2Z4wlI_jmMenVUgjzD

You can use 5.8ghz unlicensed indoors

Limited to 200mW power

But not fixed outdoors. Which you might be able to do in US/Canada.

Without a licence for UK

Also Linus sent his signal 12Km which implies he exceeded 200mW power at 5.8Ghz. As they say you can get 10km at 4W power.

I think what he did in Canada would be technically illegal in EU/UK unless it was in 2.4Ghz region.

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/manage-your-licence/radiocommunication-licences/fixed-wireless-access

Yup. Hence the whole "Consult your local authorities regarding public usable frequencies." statement . :P

Every country has different laws and the user must abide to them.

\

On 5/25/2018 at 2:18 AM, mark_cameron said:

I'm in the UK and here the spectrum is heavily regulated. If you cause interference or use the spectrum allocated to others you can face two years in jail.

I realise wifi is technically 2.4ghz and 5ghz but it's also an offence to interfere with signals in the UK. So I was wondering if these would interfere with other people's wifi or radio.

First, my apologies. I did not have notifications enabled. So, I did not receive a notice of your reply to my post.

Just another reason I live where I do. Here, government interference is almost nil in our lives. In our particular area, we may be the only farm with proper internet access, outside of cell phones. 

I can't say for certain, whether they would interfere with other signals, or not. I would think not, though. In my case, one would be hard pressed to even find another signal in this area. I imagine, where you live, you probably cannot find many areas without coverage. 

TRS-80 Color Computer, 32k, External Storage: Cassette Interface, Modem: 9800 Baud Dial Up, Printer: DMP-100 Dot Matrix. Upgrading to a floppy drive soon!

9 hours ago, ILFE said:

First, my apologies. I did not have notifications enabled. So, I did not receive a notice of your reply to my post.

Just another reason I live where I do. Here, government interference is almost nil in our lives. In our particular area, we may be the only farm with proper internet access, outside of cell phones. 

I can't say for certain, whether they would interfere with other signals, or not. I would think not, though. In my case, one would be hard pressed to even find another signal in this area. I imagine, where you live, you probably cannot find many areas without coverage. 

Regulation isn't "government interference"

Lack of regulation would mean my tv signal or worse yet ambulance and emergency service signals being interfered with.

Yes the UK is one of the most congested islands in the world.

From my rudimentary reading I could do what Linus did here in UK. But only in a specific area in a licence granted to me by Ofcom.

Which i would likely need to prove does not impact any one else.

I also could not use a fixed or permanent mounting. As of yet.

My Rig "Valiant"  Intel® Core™ i7-5930 @3.5GHz ; Asus X99 DELUXE 3.1 ; Corsair H110i ; Corsair Dominator Platinium 64GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4 ; 2 x 6GB ASUS NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980 Ti Strix ; Corsair Obsidian Series 900D ; Samsung 950 Pro NVME + Samsung 850 Pro SATA + HDD Western Digital Black - 2TB ; Corsair AX1500i Professional 80 PLUS Titanium ; x3 Samsung S27D850T 27-Inch WQHD Monitor

• 5 months later...

does anyone know how 100-200 meters connection throught those antennas would affect pings?

• 1 year later...

There is a Wireless Bridging System (@ 900MHz) for non line of sight links up to 18 miles. Capable of link speeds of 150 megabits/second through some foliage and trees at moderate distances, heavy urban environments with wireless crowding, or any other line of sight obstructions that cause propagation issues with higher frequency 802.11A/B/G/N systems. It would be nice to see Linus Tech Tips do a video on this type of system please.

8 hours ago, TheTexasRAT said:

There is a Wireless Bridging System (@ 900MHz) for non line of sight links up to 18 miles. Capable of link speeds of 150 megabits/second through some foliage and trees at moderate distances, heavy urban environments with wireless crowding, or any other line of sight obstructions that cause propagation issues with higher frequency 802.11A/B/G/N systems. It would be nice to see Linus Tech Tips do a video on this type of system please.

Can you give a bit more specific info about this? Like manufacturer and model number?

I think this was the first LTT video I stumbled upon. And what a great start! Still one of my top five out of all!

MB: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master | CPU: AMD Ryzen R9 3900X | CPU cooler: Corsair iCue H150i RGB PRO XT | RAM: Corsair Vengeance 64 GB (4x16) DDR4-3600 CL18 LPX | GPU: Zotac RTX 3080 Trinity OC + Palit RTX 2080 Ti GamingPro OC | SSD: 2 x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1 TB NVMe + Kingston A400 480 GB + Samsung QVO860 1 TB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 1000 W Gold | Case: be quiet! Silent Base 801 | Displays: BenQ PD3200U @ 3840x2160 + ASUS ROG Strix XG32VQ @ 2560x1440 | Keyboard: Corsair K68 RGB Cherry MX Red | Mouse: Logitech MX Master 2S

• 11 months later...

Point to point over long distances is easy.

It's all about the antenna.

Get a yagi, or heck, make a cantenna.