Rant: How Apple destroys the mainstream knowledge about tech

This will just be a small "rant" about how I get annoyed about people's concept of tech thanks to Apple. Today's topic: Chargers & Cables

Remember when the question "Do you have a charger for (INSERT PHONE BRAND HERE)?" was a legit question? In the dawn of cell phones everyone run their own race; Nokia had 2 different main stream chargers, Samsung had their own, Ericsson had their own, Motorola their own and so on. So the question was valid.

Luckily, those days - for the most part - are over. Standardization of using (previously) microUSB and (now) USB-C universally across all brands has made it easy to share cables, chargers and docks for various devises. Not just phones.

Except for one brand - Apple. Their stubbornness to stick to a proprietary port is infamous. So thus one question still is kinda legit: "Do you have an Apple charger I can borrow?"

Now here's the thing. Because of this, and how much impact Apple has on the mainstream people, Apple generates a kind of dogma for less tech-savy people (mainstream everyday people) that this concept of different chargers still exist. Many non-Apple users still think that phones from different brands have different types of charging ports because they constanly hear Apple-users asking for Apple-chargers.

So many times now at work, every now and then, an e-mail pops up asking for a charger for (INSERT NON-APPLE PHONE HERE). I know it shouldn't frustrate me, but it does. It feels so backwards that people  A) do not recognize that they have the same port on their new phone as they had on their last phone, B) keep thinking that because Apple has a specific charger, that also their phone has it, and C) do not learn to recognize microUSB and/or USB-C.

The catalyst for making me write this rant was an e-mail that I got 10 minutes ago (as of the time of writing) where a colleague asked to borrow a charger for Samsung Galaxy S9 instead of just asking "Does anyone have a USB-C charger I can borrow?" Which is so funny, because this person switched from a Samsung Galaxy S7 (or was it even an S8? :dry:; but that is besides the point).

Why is it that Apple still holds such recognition even for non-Apple users? Why do people keep thinking everything has to work by Apple-logic even if pretty much every other brand out there tries to do stuff differently, but yet in a more common way?

A bit of an off-topic similarity is how app-commercials are done; if there is a poster or even a video for a new app, what is the phone they will use as their unbranded, but yet recognizable phone? 95% of the time it is an iteration of an iPhone. E.g. when the iPhone X was released every single add for any app used the iPhone X as a template.

But I digress... I'm not even sure I have any end-points for this rant. I just wanted to share my frustration about this matter. Please share similar stories or just share your frustrations about similar stuff here (must not be only against Apple).

Spoiler

Mobo: Asus Z370-A Prime

CPU: Intel i7 8700K

RAM: Kingston Fury 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16 Beast

GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080Ti Xtreme Edition 11GB

Case: Fractal Define R6 Tempered Glass, Black

SSD 1: Crucial P3 1TB M.2 PCIe Gen 3 NVMe SSD

SSD 2: Samsung 850 EVO 1TB

SSD 3: Crucial MX500 500 GB

HDD: Seagate Barracuda ST4000DM005 64MB 4TB 7200 rpm

PSU: Corsair RM750X v2

Display 1: AOC Agon AG271QG

Display 2: Dell U2711

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Nepton 240M AIO

Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Keyboard: Cooler Master CM Storm Trigger Z w/ Cherry MX Brown

Speakers: Creative Gigaworks T40 Series II

Soundcard: Creative AE-5 Soundblaster

Headphones: Sennheiser RS 165 Wireless

Microphone 1: Audio Technica AT2020+ USB

Microphone 2: Antlion Audiio ModMic Wireless

12 minutes ago, Mortis Angelus said:

Why is it that Apple still holds such recognition even for non-Apple users? Why do people keep thinking everything has to work by Apple-logic even if pretty much every other brand out there tries to do stuff differently, but yet in a more common way?

Because people keep buying their stuff.

Personally though I don't think the charger example is very accurate, after all it's android phone manufacturers who are in the middle of a port shift. Only Apple uses the lightning connector, so calling it an "Apple charger" is just as correct as calling it "lightning", whereas a usb-C charger is not necessarily a Samsung charger. Either way, to be honest I don't think the important part of "tech literacy" is about recognizing cables that may be completely irrelevant 5 years from now - it's more about knowing what risks you run when using technology and more or less what value you're getting for your money, which most manufacturers intentionally obscure.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

17 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Personally though I don't think the charger example is very accurate, after all it's android phone manufacturers who are in the middle of a port shift.

You are correct, but that doesn't explain how odd it is that people need to specify their specific phone, when they should really be worried about is it a MicroUSB or USB-C they need. On the other side of the table (which I didnt bring up) are then the people that then think "I don't have a Samsung Galaxy S9, so my charger probably won't work". I've met those people too. And this leads to another good point you made:

20 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Either way, to be honest I don't think the important part of "tech literacy" is about recognizing cables that may be completely irrelevant 5 years from now - it's more about knowing what risks you run when using technology and more or less what value you're getting for your money, which most manufacturers intentionally obscure.

That is also true; which is why I did write that I shouldn't get as frustrated about this as I am. I am just so tired of the Apple-thinking; i.e. thinking specific phones have specific cables.

23 minutes ago, Sauron said:

whereas a usb-C charger is not necessarily a Samsung charger.

That was exactly my point (kinda). People should not need to ask for a "samsung charger", but just for any general charger with MicroUSB or USB-C. Heck, nowdays you just need to ask for the correct cable as even Apple-chargers nowadays have detachable cables so you can charge any phone with them as long as you have the appropriate cable.

Spoiler

Regarding people who use iPhones, they think they are superior. There's a certain number of YouTubers who constantly bash on Android users. They are a group and some of the members have Android phones. 

What annoys me even more, they have no idea how technology works. They call people who have Android phones nerds. And what makes me laugh is that they use chrome as their main browser. They think Android sucks because it is was slow on an old phone of theirs they had 6 years ago. 

I personally owned an iPhone for 2 years. It was so boring. Literally, cannot do anything. Storage is full, iCloud storage is full.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

1 hour ago, Abdul201588 said:

Regarding people who use iPhones, they think they are superior. There's a certain number of YouTubers who constantly bash on Android users. They are a group and some of the members have Android phones. 

What annoys me even more, they have no idea how technology works. They call people who have Android phones nerds. And what makes me laugh is that they use chrome as their main browser. They think Android sucks because it is was slow on an old phone of theirs they had 6 years ago. 

I personally owned an iPhone for 2 years. It was so boring. Literally, cannot do anything. Storage is full, iCloud storage is full.

Honestly, if I had bought an iPhone 5S and was still using it today I would feel superior. That phone still works like a charm and still gets updates from Apple. It’s been more than 5 years. No other Android phone has had that amount of support (from the manufacturer). 

On the flip side, Samsung users are annoying too. They brag about how much better their screens are to Apple users. 

The ultimate truth is, the majority of people don’t care about what phone you have. 

Further, it’s very interesting to me that the majority of Canadians just use old iPhones (without a case!) and don’t really care about tech. They just want an iPhone because they know it’s good. In that matter their ignorance of tech is rewarded with a decent (overpriced) phone that lasts several years. It’s not a bad deal. 

12 minutes ago, kokakolia said:

On the flip side, Samsung users are annoying too. They brag about how much better their screens are to Apple users.

Android fanboys in general can get really annoying as well.

Bragging about widgets, quad-core this, quad-core that, 20000MP cameras, etc.

When for me, the only widget I have on my Note8 is a clock.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

Anyone here still wondering why fanboying is still a thing? The phones are all starting to look alike anyhow;

Phone Manufacturers: "Hey let's ditch the headphone jack. Who swaps batteries anymore? Let's toss out the buttons!"

Me: "dafuq?!"

Exactly, every person that just instantly says "ew" when they hear android either have never used an android phone, or had one six years ago that sucked, because apparantly things can't evolve and get better. I've just learned to hate iphone users at my school because they don't stop bragging about how much money they just wasted on a new iphone.

hi

2 minutes ago, TopHatProductions115 said:

Anyone here still wondering why fanboying is still a thing? The phones are all starting to look alike anyhow;

Because people will fanboy at anything.

It's a cancerous thing but it's sadly just part of human nature to give oneself some pleasure

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

20 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Android fanboys in general can get really annoying as well.

Bragging about widgets, quad-core this, quad-core that, 20000MP cameras, etc.

When for me, the only widget I have on my Note8 is a clock.

I feel you, here's what my phone looks like. One thing I like about Android is I can do this exact thing. (It helps with my eyesight)

Screenshot_20180523-160559.png

Screenshot_20180523-160554.png

Edited by Ben Quigley
Forget screenshots

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

7 minutes ago, germgoatz said:

Exactly, every person that just instantly says "ew" when they hear android either have never used an android phone, or had one six years ago that sucked, because apparantly things can't evolve and get better. I've just learned to hate iphone users at my school because they don't stop bragging about how much money they just wasted on a new iphone.

yeah, my mom's friend basically sold her soul to apple saying "i tried android and windows and they suck" when not long ago she was complaining her ipad was running low on storage and thats when i brought up an android tablet since you can add mirco sd'd to those things and easily get over 200gb of rom and she lost her shit exclusively cause it wasn't apple

i also love how she says apple does this or that first when over half the time they didn't, they just made it mainstream (numerous examples include the tablet, the notch, and faceID)

but its kinda sad to see someone so ignorant about technology; it baffles me how someone waste so much on something that doesn't even meet the demands that were literally complaining before i mentioned an alternative to apple

True. Apple fanboys at my school are the pits.

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

6 hours ago, Mortis Angelus said:

Rant: How Apple destroys the mainstream knowledge about tech

Apple was a big part of this sure, along with Android, Microsoft, and every other electronic device maker.  Apple has their standard, Android has their standard; it would be nice if they were all the same, but the desired level of market segmentation that both Apple and Android want requires a certain level of incompatibility (at least for now).

I think the primary cause of the "destruction of mainstream knowledge about tech" is the reduced necessity for that knowledge.  All of the device makers have been striving to make their products easier to use for decades; it's what the customers are asking for, it sells better, and it really is easier to use.  Which is great for the user, but it does mean that the user simply doesn't need to be as tech savvy as they were 5, 10, 20 years ago.

At one time I put quite some effort into learning how config.sys and autoexe.bat files worked.  It was necessary knowledge for a PC builder at the time.  It's simply not necessary now.  That's progress.  That's unavoidable.

9 minutes ago, Blasteque said:

Apple was a big part of this sure, along with Android, Microsoft, and every other electronic device maker.  Apple has their standard, Android has their standard; it would be nice if they were all the same, but the desired level of market segmentation that both Apple and Android want requires a certain level of incompatibility (at least for now).

I think the primary cause of the "destruction of mainstream knowledge about tech" is the reduced necessity for that knowledge.  All of the device makers have been striving to make their products easier to use for decades; it's what the customers are asking for, it sells better, and it really is easier to use.  Which is great for the user, but it does mean that the user simply doesn't need to be as tech savvy as they were 5, 10, 20 years ago.

At one time I put quite some effort into learning how config.sys and autoexe.bat files worked.  It was necessary knowledge for a PC builder at the time.  It's simply not necessary now.  That's progress.  That's unavoidable.

but USB type B and C work on many devices outside android where as OP points out, apple is the only one who wants to be incompatible with the rest of the technology world (because it makes them more money and they know their cult will follow them however broken and anti consumer their practices go)

all android are made by different companies but yet they share a similar set of chargers but apple doesn't is no coincidence, if people "wanted" incompatibility, we'd be throwing ourselves 10 years backwards all over again; thankfully that isn't the case for everyone but the apple and while they still live in the past, i'll be happy to use the same cable to charge my tablet, my phone and my controllers seamless without worrying is it a cable for device X Y Z

Guys guys guys! Calm down. :D

This was not meant to be a discussion about if Apple or Android is better. But rather a discussion about WHY everything Apple marketing sticks as the "mainstream terms". I also never mentioned "Apple buyers". :P Just as a disclaimer.

I remember getting into an argument with a journalist on a photo-forum when he was writing news articles about a 4K-monitor and called it a "retina monitor". Same thing happened with the iPod; every Mp3-player out there was casually called iPods even if they weren't; heck even I fell into that trap in my youth.

So the entire discussion I want to discuss is this phenomenon about Apple's devices and terminology is the one that sticks to the mainstream - even for people NOT using Apple products.

16 minutes ago, Blasteque said:

I do not say that we should revert to that complicated stage of technology; I barely know any coding or any prompt commands for use in Terminal and/or command prompt. That said, I don't think you need to be tech savvy to know the difference between MicroUSB, USB-C and a Lightning Port.

And I do believe that when people actually takes a step back and thinks for two seconds more, they do realize/know it is e.g. USB-C port and could simply ask for such a charger/cable. But the immediate reaction is usually to ask for a charger for a specific model, because that is what Apple-users have to do.

10 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

hahaha you say small

I say thats quite a long post

I wrote "small "rant" ", not "small post" ;)

As for rants, this is quite short. I had to write some backstory as well to not come off as an ignorant anti-apple fanatic.

Spoiler

I agree as an iPhone user that I'm slightly annoyed that Apple doesn't use type c. Did you know that lightning only supports USB 2.0 speeds? Yeah, it makes offloading 4k 60FPS footage an absolute pain for those of us without airdrop.

With that being said I think the reason why they haven't switched away from their proprietary lightning connector is that Apple will probably end up ditching the wired charger sometime in the next 3-4 years and making a fully port-less phone. I think they believe switching to type-c in the meantime would just be a pain for people who have a bunch of lightning accessories/cables to go out and buy type c accessories only to drop it a couple years later anyway. I really hope they upgrade to USB 3.0 speeds though.

6 minutes ago, Mortis Angelus said:

a journalist on a photo-forum when he was writing news articles about a 4K-monitor and called it a "retina monitor"

most likely a fake journalist because a real journalist actually does investigations. But its that day in age were fake news runs rampant with lazy people posing as journalists and not fully researching things before they write an article.

As for your dilemma, its hard to say really. Its a Lemming society add to that human nature and the LOOK AT ME syndrome, LOOK AT ME I'M IMPORTANT.

I would have loved to done courses on human nature and why people do what they do.

1 minute ago, Canada EH said:

most likely a fake journalist because a real journalist actually does investigations. But its that day in age were fake news runs rampant with lazy people posing as journalists and not fully researching things before they write an article.

He is legit, and I respect him. But he is specialized is in photo-gear (cameras and photo equipment). But as it still is, photography is associated with Apple, and that person is (AFAIK, and at least back then) an all-Apple guy.

This mishap occurred just a few months after Apple had launched their first iMac with Retina display and this new 4K monitor was the closest thing to a Retina-display back then.  I think the argument was that because that monitor achieved the same dpi as a retina-display it should automatically be called "retina". I counter-argued that that is an Apple-only term no matter if the dpi is the same or higher.

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

As for your dilemma, its hard to say really. Its a Lemming society add to that human nature and the LOOK AT ME syndrome, LOOK AT ME I'M IMPORTANT.

I would have loved to done courses on human nature and why people do what they do.

@Mortis Angelus

Technically "Retina Display" does have a definition - pixel density over 300 PPI:

https://www.webopedia.com/TERM/R/retina_display.html

So in theory, many of the 4K displays that the guy is reviewing, may well fall into that definition. Though as far as I'm aware, Apple is the only one who uses said definition for marketing purposes.

Back to the OP: Honestly, people never knew these terms anyway. Back when Nokia and LG and Sony all had proprietary chargers, no one knew the technical term for each charging port.

Furthermore, most people say "Samsung S9 charger" because regular people don't really know what a Micro USB is, or a USB-C. These are just tech words they might hear now and then.

You guys have to remember that we are the vast minority. We are the tech enthusiasts and the tech literate. Most people aren't, and never will be. I get people calling Computer Cases "CPU's" all the time. It's hilarious, but it doesn't bother me.

Why? Because these same people, who are idiots with computers, can school me in other fields of knowledge, in which I am the idiot. We're all idiots at something, so let's try not to judge those who are idiots about computers.

And lastly: Those same idiots ensure I have very good job security :)

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

2 hours ago, kokakolia said:

Honestly, if I had bought an iPhone 5S and was still using it today I would feel superior. That phone still works like a charm and still gets updates from Apple. It’s been more than 5 years. No other Android phone has had that amount of support (from the manufacturer). 

The ultimate truth is, the majority of people don’t care about what phone you have. 

Further, it’s very interesting to me that the majority of Canadians just use old iPhones (without a case!) and don’t really care about tech. They just want an iPhone because they know it’s good. In that matter their ignorance of tech is rewarded with a decent (overpriced) phone that lasts several years. It’s not a bad deal. 

I was using the og iPhone 4 up until December of last year lol. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Apple isn't responsible for people asking about compatibility, the nature of our entire marketplace is. It goes from screws having a resemblance of a common standard to being part of a different one (JIS vs Phillips) all the way to the very standards not being respected (e.g. USB-C is a mess). You can even apply the logic to language.

It's better that people ask than they don't in the circumstances.

I don't know what you people are doing with your phones but my family has been using iphones for over 25 years now and we spend our weekends diagramming cpu's.

10 minutes ago, xXxAdamxXx said:

I don't know what you people are doing with your phones but my family has been using iphones for over 25 years now and we spend our weekends diagramming cpu's.

It's not against Apple's tech - it's against how Apple's terminology/practices (in Ads) affects uninformed consumers who aren't as technically inclined as you are.