Picking a New Laptop

So I am considering a new laptop, with the capability to dock (TB3), which would knock out 2 - 3 work desktops I typically work from (I would just bring the laptop with me to different areas).

I currently move around a couple of data centers and a few offices where I have a machine sitting there and work at (in each), but heavily use Remote Desktop.

I have a honking Alienware 17R3 laptop (I think this is one that does not support eGPU even though it has TB3 (it has a dell proprietary enclosure)) for travel, surface 5 pro

and at home a not bad desktop (Core i9 setup).

So I want to consolidate down to the new laptop and my home desktop only - except when I have to travel, I'd still like to be able to game in the hotel, or plane, or whatever.

So where should my money be going here? If I am eliminating the Surface, I'd likely look at a 14-15.6 inch laptop, and at that screen size, I don't think 4K should be a concern, though I like the prospect of an HDR display on the thing later in the year (if they come out).

Anyway, when it comes to laptops I see a bunch, but who is at the top of the hill? Best eGPU enclosures? I would likely use 3 of them, so are any of those enclosures also a bonafide TB3 dock itself?

Budget is not an issue, though I am not going to spend $3k on a laptop that I will be disappointed in.

MSI GS65 looks like exactly what you need. 15.6", able to game, nice and light for what it is, TB3 support, and really no need for an eGPU (GTX 1070 Max Q is pretty sweet) but with regards to your question about TB3 docks it looks like Plugable makes some pretty nice ones.

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

9 minutes ago, NovaNightmare said:

~snip~

FYI the Alienware can be connected to a TB3 dock - it's just a really big pain in the bottom.

So do you want a thin and light with Thunderbolt that can be connected to a TB3 dock?  I personally like the XPS 13 and Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Cabon, both are awesome laptops, have TB3 and also HDR options.

If you want more of a gaming laptop I'd strongly recommend the Gigabyte Aero 15X, it's a total beast, has a 144Hz display, much better build quality than MSI and better battery life than the Zephyrus.

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

She/they 

7 minutes ago, AlexTheGreatish said:

FYI the Alienware can be connected to a TB3 dock - it's just a really big pain in the bottom.

So do you want a thin and light with Thunderbolt that can be connected to a TB3 dock?  I personally like the XPS 13 and Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Cabon, both are awesome laptops, have TB3 and also HDR options.

If you want more of a gaming laptop I'd strongly recommend the Gigabyte Aero 15X, it's a total beast, has a 144Hz display, much better build quality than MSI and better battery life than the Zephyrus.

Yes, thin and light, is where I am going. That Aero looks really nice. I am perturbed by the camera location, but otherwise very nice. Thank you.

19 minutes ago, orbitalbuzzsaw said:

MSI GS65 looks like exactly what you need. 15.6", able to game, nice and light for what it is, TB3 support, and really no need for an eGPU (GTX 1070 Max Q is pretty sweet) but with regards to your question about TB3 docks it looks like Plugable makes some pretty nice ones.

This looks good, but I have concerns over the battery. I don't like when a company hides the actual battery size behind "X hour battery life".

As far as docks go, interested in a combo as a future proof eGPU + Dock, as I typically work from 3 monitor setups and hope to get to 6 monitor setup sometime this year.

3 minutes ago, NovaNightmare said:

This looks good, but I have concerns over the battery. I don't like when a company hides the actual battery size behind "X hour battery life".

As far as docks go, interested in a combo as a future proof eGPU + Dock, as I typically work from 3 monitor setups and hope to get to 6 monitor setup sometime this year.

Gigabyte Aero 15x if you need better battery

She/they 

Aero 15X has somewhat mediocre cooling. Even LM repaste won't help much.

For your budget I'll suggest Ultrabook+eGPU option. If you like HDR display, X1 C6 is a good choice

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128