Command and Conquer: Red Alert 2

Okay i have an issue with this game that i purchased from Origin. The game will install with no issues, but when i go to run the game after a minute or so after i start a game like multiplayer or skirmish it'll "crash" but i get no pop-up with windows saying that the game unexpectantly stopped or nothing like that. Its like i didnt have the game open in the first place. Also if i alt-tab out of the game whenever i get back to it itll show a black screen and i can still hear the sound. Ive tried the DDwrapper thing that everybody is suggesting but it doesnt work for me at all. idk whats going on. I really enjoy this game and i play with my family on this game but i cant with this computer. 

Btw, here are the specs.

Acer asipire Z5101 all-in-one

AMD Athlon II X2 240e processor

6Gb of DDR3

Msi Gt 710- 2gb DDR3

Windows 10

I don't bother with origin much due to the shear amount of issues i've had with it that have never been resolved. Your best bet in this case is to reinstall the game and if that doesn't work, origin.

Luckily I own tred alert 3 so i don't have to use origin for it :P 

Use this guide to fix text problems in your postGo here and here for all your power supply needs

New Build Currently Under Construction! See here!!!! -----> 

Spoiler

Deathwatch:[CPU I7 4790K @ 4.5GHz][RAM TEAM VULCAN 16 GB 1600][MB ASRock Z97 Anniversary][GPU XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB][STORAGE 250GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD Samsung 2TB HDD 2TB WD External Drive][COOLER Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo][PSU Cooler Master 650M][Case Thermaltake Core V31]

Spoiler

Cupid:[CPU Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz][RAM 3 GB DDR2][750GB Samsung 2.5" HDD/HDD Seagate 80GB SATA/Samsung 80GB IDE/WD 325GB IDE][MB Acer M1641][CASE Antec][[PSU Altec 425 Watt][GPU Radeon HD 4890 1GB][TP-Link 54MBps Wireless Card]

Spoiler

Carlile: [CPU 2x Pentium 3 1.4GHz][MB ASUS TR-DLS][RAM 2x 512MB DDR ECC Registered][GPU Nvidia TNT2 Pro][PSU Enermax][HDD 1 IDE 160GB, 4 SCSI 70GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 3]

Spoiler

Zeonnight [CPU AMD Athlon x2 4400][GPU Sapphire Radeon 4650 1GB][RAM 2GB DDR2]

Spoiler

Server [CPU 2x Xeon L5630][PSU Dell Poweredge 850w][HDD 1 SATA 160GB, 3 SAS 146GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 6i]

Spoiler

Kero [CPU Pentium 1 133Mhz] [GPU Cirrus Logic LCD 1MB Graphics Controller] [Ram 48MB ][HDD 1.4GB Hitachi IDE]

Spoiler

Mining Rig: [CPU Athlon 64 X2 4400+][GPUS 9 RX 560s, 2 RX 570][HDD 160GB something][RAM 8GBs DDR3][PSUs 1 Thermaltake 700w, 2 Delta 900w 120v Server modded]

RAINBOWS!!!

QUOTE ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLYS!!!!

Well i have the original disc as well. The issue is that it wont install with the original disc. Itll give the auto-run screen but after i hit install it does nothing

well my parents have windows 10 on their computers and it runs fine.

wow how refrshing to see someone ask about a classic.

red alert 2 is very old by now so getting it to run on modern hardware could be difficoult id imagine.

best guess i have is maybe try a vm with something like win95 on there ?

i bet its some weird issue with the graphics driver / directx. in most of my own trials to install old games thats what usually srewed it up somehow.

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

Haha, man the amount of hours I've spent trying to make Red Alert 2 (and Red Alert 1) run on modern hardware for my family.

Anyway, I've got the magic bullet for you: https://cncnet.org/

It's a third-party program that restores online functionality and just makes the classic C&C games more modern friendly. It's an absolute life saver.

If you want good hardware recommendations, please tell us how you intend to use the hardware. There's rarely a single correct answer.

I love older games. It's why i have a whole setup of computers specifically to run games on the hardware and os they were made for. I don't have to deal with crap like this then :P OFC theres other issues but if your like me and gre up using most of it, you know how to solve them easily. Also they're usually pretty well documented.

Use this guide to fix text problems in your postGo here and here for all your power supply needs

New Build Currently Under Construction! See here!!!! -----> 

Spoiler

Deathwatch:[CPU I7 4790K @ 4.5GHz][RAM TEAM VULCAN 16 GB 1600][MB ASRock Z97 Anniversary][GPU XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB][STORAGE 250GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD Samsung 2TB HDD 2TB WD External Drive][COOLER Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo][PSU Cooler Master 650M][Case Thermaltake Core V31]

Spoiler

Cupid:[CPU Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz][RAM 3 GB DDR2][750GB Samsung 2.5" HDD/HDD Seagate 80GB SATA/Samsung 80GB IDE/WD 325GB IDE][MB Acer M1641][CASE Antec][[PSU Altec 425 Watt][GPU Radeon HD 4890 1GB][TP-Link 54MBps Wireless Card]

Spoiler

Carlile: [CPU 2x Pentium 3 1.4GHz][MB ASUS TR-DLS][RAM 2x 512MB DDR ECC Registered][GPU Nvidia TNT2 Pro][PSU Enermax][HDD 1 IDE 160GB, 4 SCSI 70GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 3]

Spoiler

Zeonnight [CPU AMD Athlon x2 4400][GPU Sapphire Radeon 4650 1GB][RAM 2GB DDR2]

Spoiler

Server [CPU 2x Xeon L5630][PSU Dell Poweredge 850w][HDD 1 SATA 160GB, 3 SAS 146GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 6i]

Spoiler

Kero [CPU Pentium 1 133Mhz] [GPU Cirrus Logic LCD 1MB Graphics Controller] [Ram 48MB ][HDD 1.4GB Hitachi IDE]

Spoiler

Mining Rig: [CPU Athlon 64 X2 4400+][GPUS 9 RX 560s, 2 RX 570][HDD 160GB something][RAM 8GBs DDR3][PSUs 1 Thermaltake 700w, 2 Delta 900w 120v Server modded]

RAINBOWS!!!

QUOTE ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLYS!!!!

also unrelated side-note here i just saw someone doing a remake as a proof of concept on youtube in unreal engine 4 and vr. and that reminded me of how i could really use a new c&c. still pisssed they didnt go through with the generals remake

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3