Latest Windows Update and Hashrate

Recently had to restart my system, thought I had windows updates turned off but think it may have updated anyway. My hashrate on ETH is now cut in 1/2 with all the same settings on my cards (4 rx 580s 8gb). Any reports of recent window's updates causing hashing power to decrease? 

no, but i have had clock speed issues.. somehow my laptop didn't turboboost anymore. it was stuck at base speed. i know nothing about mining so i don't know if cpu speed has anything to do with it, but you could check it just in case... 

She/Her

I just answered my own question. I rolled back my updates to a previous update and now my hashrate is back to normal. I am going to make 100% sure auto updates are turned off. Hope this helps someone else if they experience the same issue. 

Edit to add: auto update was turned on. Oops. Fixed now. 

You can't turn off windows auto update

Well not without turn it off every single boot

I use windows update blocker and put it on startup to disable auto update every single time reboot.

Just now, Blebekblebek said:

I use windows update blocker and put it on startup to disable auto update every single time reboot.

run>services.msc>windows update>properties>startup type>disabled

That doesn't shut off auto updates? That is what the Internets say. Let me know if I need to do this on every reboot. That may be why I thought they were off...

No, windows will re-enable it everytime you reboot (sometimes it doesn't even require reboot, and windows just turn it back on anyway)

17 hours ago, Blebekblebek said:

17 hours ago, w8kdrifter said:

run>services.msc>windows update>properties>startup type>disabled

That doesn't shut off auto updates? That is what the Internets say. Let me know if I need to do this on every reboot. That may be why I thought they were off...

you actually can... it's not pretty though.

1. make sure there are no pending updates on the system (i.e. it downloaded and is waiting to install)

2. in C:\windows\system32 you will see a file called "wuaueng.dll"
3. take ownership of this file.

4. Change the permissions to allow you to edit the file.

5. append anything to the file to invalidate it.. I typically just add ".old" to the end

the service will never start up again...

I work at a place where the people are pretty stubborn and don't want to use SCCM to push out windows updates like most places but also don't want PC's to auto update. so basically one of my projects was to figure out how to disable it... this is what I came up with. has worked so far lol

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

2 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

you actually can... it's not pretty though.

1. make sure there are no pending updates on the system (i.e. it downloaded and is waiting to install)

2. in C:\windows\system32 you will see a file called "wuaueng.dll"
3. take ownership of this file.

4. Change the permissions to allow you to edit the file.

5. append anything to the file to invalidate it.. I typically just add ".old" to the end

the service will never start up again...

I work at a place where the people are pretty stubborn and don't want to use SCCM to push out windows updates like most places but also don't want PC's to auto update. so basically one of my projects was to figure out how to disable it... this is what I came up with. has worked so far lol

Thank you for this info! 

Not so sure on AMD side, but certainly in the past it breaks nvidia drivers. Reinstall driver (might require DDU in tricky cases) and usually things are fine again. Depending on the AMD GPU and what you mine, it might also have reset the "compute" setting.

As for disabling windows updates, the stopping services thing hasn't been reliable for a while. In some of the more recent patches they implemented some degree of self fixing. I had taken to blocking MS servers at network level. Doesn't matter the service is running or not, if it can't reach the servers.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible