Google turning evil? Removes majority of "Don't be evil" from their CoC

iRileyx

(Not 100% sure if this is tech news but its news about Google so i guess?! Also not sure if it links to the previous thread that I'll link below)

This Is The End Of Google's 'Don't Be Evil' Mantra

Google released an updated code of conduct, which for the first time in almost two decades removed almost all mentions of its “Don't be evil” mantra. The code of conduct embodies a company's values, principles, and ideals, so removing the "Don't be evil" motto from the code may give us a hint towards the direction in which Google is going.

While this is certainly a strange thing to be posting and for people to be picking up on, after the recent fiasco which involved 100s of employees protesting about their military envolvement, maybe there's some hidden meaning behind it?
After 2 decades it does definitely seem odd that they'd remove it now.

Google Renounces 'Don’t Be Evil'

Following a protest made by thousands of Google employees against the company’s increasing involvement with the U.S. military and its work on autonomous drones, the company has eliminated all mentions of the “Don’t be evil” mantra from its Code of Conduct. 

An older version of its code of conduct from earlier this year that was saved by the Archive.orgwebsite contained the following:

“Don’t be evil.” Googlers generally apply those words to how we serve our users. But “Don’t be evil” is much more than that. Yes, it’s about providing our users unbiased access to information, focusing on their needs and giving them the best products and services that we can. But it’s also about doing the right thing more generally – following the law, acting honorably, and treating co-workers with courtesy and respect.

The new code of conduct no longer centers around this motto, making almost no mention of it, except in passing at the very end of the multi-page document.

If the motto was truly just a marketing tactic, then there was little reason to minimize or discontinue it. However, after recently being called on it by its employees, Google may have started to believe that the “Don’t be evil” motto could encourage more employees to question and protest the company’s future projects that may be in an ethically grey area.

What’s Google Without 'Don’t Be Evil?'

So now the question remains: What is Google now that it no longer seems to believe in “not being evil?” Is it just another corporation doing anything to make a buck? If so, this will not be without consequences for the company’s future. As evidenced by the letter signed by thousands of Google employees, going down this path could mean less interest from developers to work for the company.

Don't be evil has been Google's corporate identity for the longest time, but now that's no longer true. Whether or not we'll like this new Google that can't commit to not being evil anymore remains to be seen, but some of its latest moves already point to an increasingly worrying direction for the company.

Considering that don't be evil was a main part of Google, in my opinion symbolising that they weren't like all the other big companies out there and were doing what they were for the purposes of good, It'll be interesting to see how this plays out over the next few weeks, months and maybe even years.

Maybe they decided that it was just time to remove it as a central part of their conduct? Or maybe there is something else at play here, but it's certainly causing some mystery thats for sure.

For anyone wondering what the happenings with employees protesting was about, there's a thread for that here. Where the "Don't be evil" line is also brought up, however at that time, it was still included.

Sauce - https://www.tomshardware.com/news/google-don-t-be-evil-end,37082.html

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

I hope the title updates in notification cause i forgot to update that before posting :P changed now anyways.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. I mean Google is probably developing Skynet so it was coming eventually.

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

Evil is subjective.

They're just doing what any regular corporation would do to avoid getting sued.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, Enderman said:

Evil is subjective.

They're just doing what any regular corporation would do to avoid getting sued.

What? How would that get them sued?

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

She/they 

4 minutes ago, orbitalbuzzsaw said:

What? How would that get them sued?

Are you aware of what a CoC is or how it works?

If someone takes them to court because "they did X and this is evil and it affected me in some way" and it says in their CoC to "not be evil" then they would have to pay money.

Just like the terms and conditions of a product.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Are you aware of what a CoC is or how it works?

If someone takes them to court because "they did X and this is evil and it affected me in some way" and it says in their CoC to "not be evil" then they would have to pay money.

Just like the terms and conditions of a product.

Ahh. Did not know that was how it works. Thanks. Still, Skynet.

She/they 

1 minute ago, orbitalbuzzsaw said:

Ahh. Did not know that was how it works. Thanks. Still, Skynet.

Maybe skynet is not such a bad thing  ;)

Spoiler

No turning, always has been. That's why they even put the "Don't Be Evil" stuff in there. They're projecting from that which they were doing.

They've been a functional Spy Agency for major governments pretty much since the founders went full time. VC money always comes with strings, and the strings on Tech companies are always turning over data to governments. Always.

if you didn't see this coming, lol. 

It was just a matter of *when*

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

1 hour ago, bcredeur97 said:

if you didn't see this coming, lol.

I didn't see this coming.

Google's always been about blatantly lying regarding their political leanings and data wholesale methods.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

They began to remove that years ago. Now Google is infested with neo Marxists/she trying to force their ideology on everyone.

Every major it company is suffering from this now, as they all precide in the ideological echo bubble in the bay area of San Fran. 

Google is authoritarian now. Google is evil. 

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Google removes majority of "Don't be evil" from their CoC

Why remove the majority, when they can just remove the "n't" ?

You can quote me on this....

If Skynet ever happens Google will have at least some role in it.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

4 hours ago, Notional said:

They began to remove that years ago. Now Google is infested with neo Marxists/she trying to force their ideology on everyone.

Every major it company is suffering from this now, as they all precide in the ideological echo bubble in the bay area of San Fran. 

Google is authoritarian now. Google is evil. 

Can you corroborate that information? 

Ehm, do people seriously think that the removal of "don't be evil" is Google admitting that they are evil?

Do people not understand that "evil" is a subjective thing and that barely none, if any, "evil humans" actually view themselves as evil?

I don't think even Hitler would have described himself as evil since he believed what he did was for the good. Same with Google. Even if you believe they are evil, they themselves don't and wouldn't refer to themselves as being evil.

The removal of "don't be evil" is not Google's way of admitting they are evil. It has some other reason, probably because they want their CoC to be more objective and less susceptible to interpretation.

21 minutes ago, Deus Voltage said:

Can you corroborate that information? 

The Damore case is all you need.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

12 minutes ago, Notional said:

The Damore case is all you need.

Corroborate: reliable source.

Do you have actual evidence of self professed Marxists in Google? Do you know what Marxism is? Have you read Das Kapital? Are you familiar with the philosophical and economical nuances of late modernist theories?

Google has always been Evil to some extent. Now it's just official in their CoC.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

21 minutes ago, Deus Voltage said:

Corroborate: reliable source.

Do you have actual evidence of self professed Marxists in Google? Do you know what Marxism is? Have you read Das Kapital? Are you familiar with the philosophical and economical nuances of late modernist theories?

I wouldn't say NeoMarxists cause that word is thrown around so much that it loses its meaning. 

I would say it's sort of like the Gulag for cultural appropiation, where if your ideals do not fit with the majority of the company, you get sacked ;).

... Life is a game and the checkpoints are your birthday , you will face challenges where you may not get rewarded afterwords but those are the challenges that help you improve yourself . Always live for tomorrow because you may never know when your game will be over ... I'm totally not going insane in anyway , shape or form ... I just have broken English and an open mind ... 

Google is just being tsundere :P

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

I'd ask why anyone was stupid enough to believe it in the first place, but there are people stupid enough to believe anything.

Its almost like they had this plan all along to first mine everyones data.  Second query results for Connor, John.  Third build Skynet...