Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dobbsjr

How to rewire wires broken off from plug?

Recommended Posts

A $1 razor + $5 soldering iron and $3 tube of solder and a $5 roll of electrical tape

 

or

 

$1 razor and $1.25 roll of clear desk tape

twist wires, tape

 

or

 

splurge on the $5 electrical tape

 

the proper way you ask

1:2 heat shrink

soldering iron, solder

 

 

Ooops

sorry, saw two wires

 

I see your delimma

you need to pop the metal piece out inside the plastic housing with a paper clip

do your best with solder

 

otherwise you need a new connector

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Dobbsjr said:

So two wires connecting the fan header plugs on my AIO have broken off(see image). How would I go about repairing something like this?

You'll need some wire strippers and some crimpers if you want to make it the same as from the factory. You can try soldering it also, but your best option may be to just cut off the extra fan connections and make sure they don't short together to replace it with a fan splitter. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

You need to buy new pins and re-crimp the wires onto the new pins and put them back into the housing.

 


My sound system costs more than my PC.        Check out my S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Intel i7 4790k | ASUS GTX770 | ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB | NZXT S340 | Seasonic Platinum 760 | modded H100i | Ducky ONE White TKL RGB | Logitech MX Master 2S | 2x Samsung 850 Pro 512GB | WD Red 4TB Samsung 58" 4k TV | 2x Behringer NEKKST K8 | BIC Acoustech H-100II | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dobbsjr said:

The crimpers would be to reattach the plastic plug  after soldering the wires back, right? What would be the best way to take off the plastic plug?

no soldering with crimpers, they are expensive but you can find some cheap ones on ebay, but it takes forever for shipping because they ship cheapest possible by slow boat

 

you need to either snip them off

or shove something inside to pop them out

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
3 minutes ago, Enderman said:

You need to buy new pins and re-crimp the wires onto the new pins and put them back into the housing.

 

The whole thing is attached to an AIO cpu block(it's an NZXT kraken) and split off from a SATA connector. So if I buy new pins I would just have to cut the off the daisy chain of fan headers from the split, fabricate a new chain, and then rewire them back?


Did my post help you? Then make sure to rate it!

Check out my post on symbolic links! || PSU ranking and tiers || Pokemon Thread

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
3 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

no soldering with crimpers, they are expensive but you can find some cheap ones on ebay, but it takes forever for shipping because they ship cheapest possible by slow boat

 

you need to either snip them off

or shove something inside to pop them out

Okay, thanks so much for the info


Did my post help you? Then make sure to rate it!

Check out my post on symbolic links! || PSU ranking and tiers || Pokemon Thread

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Dobbsjr said:

The crimpers would be to reattach the plastic plug  after soldering the wires back, right? What would be the best way to take off the plastic plug?

You need pin removal tools to take them off, if you just cut them off completely and just use the remaining connector with splitters you wouldn't need any extra tooling or work. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Dobbsjr said:

The whole thing is attached to an AIO cpu block(it's an NZXT kraken) and split off from a SATA connector. So if I buy new pins I would just have to cut the off the daisy chain of fan headers from the split, fabricate a new chain, and then rewire them back?

Yeah just pop out the pin and wire that is still in the connector, cut the pin off, strip the wire and also strip the wire that broke off, put both (or is it three?)  of the wires into a new pin, crimp it, and put it back in the connector.

Then do the same for the other wires which broke off.


My sound system costs more than my PC.        Check out my S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Intel i7 4790k | ASUS GTX770 | ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB | NZXT S340 | Seasonic Platinum 760 | modded H100i | Ducky ONE White TKL RGB | Logitech MX Master 2S | 2x Samsung 850 Pro 512GB | WD Red 4TB Samsung 58" 4k TV | 2x Behringer NEKKST K8 | BIC Acoustech H-100II | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×