How to rewire wires broken off from plug?

Dobbsjr

A $1 razor + $5 soldering iron and $3 tube of solder and a $5 roll of electrical tape

or

$1 razor and $1.25 roll of clear desk tape

twist wires, tape

or

splurge on the $5 electrical tape

the proper way you ask

1:2 heat shrink

soldering iron, solder

Ooops

sorry, saw two wires

I see your delimma

you need to pop the metal piece out inside the plastic housing with a paper clip

do your best with solder

otherwise you need a new connector

3 minutes ago, Dobbsjr said:

So two wires connecting the fan header plugs on my AIO have broken off(see image). How would I go about repairing something like this?

You'll need some wire strippers and some crimpers if you want to make it the same as from the factory. You can try soldering it also, but your best option may be to just cut off the extra fan connections and make sure they don't short together to replace it with a fan splitter. 

You need to buy new pins and re-crimp the wires onto the new pins and put them back into the housing.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Dobbsjr said:

What do you mean by new connector?

new housing and pins

mouser might have them

1 minute ago, Dobbsjr said:

The crimpers would be to reattach the plastic plug  after soldering the wires back, right? What would be the best way to take off the plastic plug?

no soldering with crimpers, they are expensive but you can find some cheap ones on ebay, but it takes forever for shipping because they ship cheapest possible by slow boat

you need to either snip them off

or shove something inside to pop them out

3 minutes ago, Enderman said:

You need to buy new pins and re-crimp the wires onto the new pins and put them back into the housing.

The whole thing is attached to an AIO cpu block(it's an NZXT kraken) and split off from a SATA connector. So if I buy new pins I would just have to cut the off the daisy chain of fan headers from the split, fabricate a new chain, and then rewire them back?

Did my post help you? Then make sure to rate it!

Check out my post on symbolic links! || PSU ranking and tiers || Pokemon Thread

3 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

no soldering with crimpers, they are expensive but you can find some cheap ones on ebay, but it takes forever for shipping because they ship cheapest possible by slow boat

you need to either snip them off

or shove something inside to pop them out

Okay, thanks so much for the info

Did my post help you? Then make sure to rate it!

Check out my post on symbolic links! || PSU ranking and tiers || Pokemon Thread

5 minutes ago, Dobbsjr said:

The crimpers would be to reattach the plastic plug  after soldering the wires back, right? What would be the best way to take off the plastic plug?

You need pin removal tools to take them off, if you just cut them off completely and just use the remaining connector with splitters you wouldn't need any extra tooling or work. 

3 minutes ago, Dobbsjr said:

The whole thing is attached to an AIO cpu block(it's an NZXT kraken) and split off from a SATA connector. So if I buy new pins I would just have to cut the off the daisy chain of fan headers from the split, fabricate a new chain, and then rewire them back?

Yeah just pop out the pin and wire that is still in the connector, cut the pin off, strip the wire and also strip the wire that broke off, put both (or is it three?)  of the wires into a new pin, crimp it, and put it back in the connector.

Then do the same for the other wires which broke off.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020