XPS 15 9530 or what

Hey guys Bob again

So I've got a chance to get myself a "barebone" XPS 15 9530 (4712mq,4k touchscreen,8G ram and 128G SSD) for a great price(630$) 

but I've been told that haswell mobile chips can "redefine heat" and it would be impossible for a 15" laptop to cool it well.

And I've found Mibook air which is just a smaller version of Mibook Pro that Linus made a video about(14 vs 15). It costs about 150$ more but although it contains USB-C and other new technology(8250u and ddr4 and M.2 NVMe SSD), I doubt if I could use all its power up cuz this laptop would just be a thin and light for my texting and light content creation I'm not sure about the choice.

Thanks guys

10 minutes ago, Bobguo20010714 said:

Hey guys Bob again

So I've got a chance to get myself a "barebone" XPS 15 9530 (4712mq,4k touchscreen,8G ram and 128G SSD) for a great price(630$) 

but I've been told that haswell mobile chips can "redefine heat" and it would be impossible for a 15" laptop to cool it well.

And I've found Mibook air which is just a smaller version of Mibook Pro that Linus made a video about(14 vs 15). It costs about 150$ more but although it contains USB-C and other new technology(8250u and ddr4 and M.2 NVMe SSD), I doubt if I could use all its power up cuz this laptop would just be a thin and light for my texting and light content creation I'm not sure about the choice.

Thanks guys

If the MiBook doesn't come with only Chinese windows, or if you're able to read Chinese, I'd go with that. The old Haswell chips run very hot, so the first laptop would probably thermal throttle. Also, the new 8th gen CPU in the MiBook would be better in the future.

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

14 minutes ago, bellabichon said:

If the MiBook doesn't come with only Chinese windows, or if you're able to read Chinese, I'd go with that. The old Haswell chips run very hot, so the first laptop would probably thermal throttle. Also, the new 8th gen CPU in the MiBook would be better in the future.

Meh since I would run Linux on laptop the fact that I'm a Chinese should not bother here.

But some YouTube video says that the temperature performance is acceptable.

And to be honest, this laptop would just in serve for one or two years and I would change a new one when I study aboard

2 minutes ago, Bobguo20010714 said:

Meh since I would run Linux on laptop the fact that I'm a Chinese should not bother here.

But some YouTube video says that the temperature performance is acceptable.

And to be honest, this laptop would just in serve for one or two years and I would change a new one when I study aboard

Get the other one then, if you want. I was just sharing my opinion.

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

Just now, bellabichon said:

well still thank you for your help

3 minutes ago, bellabichon said:

and FYI Mibooks are not as good as how Linus describe them btw , I've seen a lot of guys complaining about their device's problem

Its turboboost that kills temperatures.  I have a i7 4702mq + nvidia 760m laptop.  This CPU has a base clock speed of 2.2ghz with a boost of 3.2ghz.  Using Intel XTU I limit the speed to 2.5ghz and it the CPU don't go above 75c during full load.  Letting it boost to its max will see it hit late 80s / early 90s in a minutes.

2.5ghz sounds low but it really isn't, you still get the incredible IPC that intel has.  I'd have to drop my CPU to below 1.5ghz before it would become a bottleneck.

My laptop has a pretty shitty heat pipe and single fan setup but gaming with the gpu overclocked my temps are usually in low to mid 70s (and my overclock on my video is insane,  I am #1 on 3dmark for my card using a bios that lets you bypass the +135mhz limit on mobile gpus)

Also if that is $630 is in USD you are paying to much for that laptop imho as I believe it has a gtx 750m.   Save up another $150 or $200 or however much it costs and get a laptop with a 1050ti

Coming from someone that has a extremely overclocked 760m is just not enough for the newest games.  Remember the 750m was a mid-range card from ~2012.

2018 games like Assassins Creed: Origins and Final Fantasy XV won't even run at 30fps on lowest detail at 720p resolution.

1 minute ago, famine said:

Also if that is $630 is in USD you are paying to much for that laptop imho as I believe it has a gtx 750m.   Save up another $150 or $200 or however much it costs and get a laptop with a 1050ti

Coming from someone that has a extremely overclocked 760m is just not enough for the newest games.  Remember the 750m was a mid-range card from ~2012.

2018 games like Assassins Creed: Origins and Final Fantasy XV won't even run at 30fps on lowest detail at 720p resolution.

i'm not sure cuz I'm in China and it costs 4000 RMB for a 4k 4712mq 8G 128G and 760m module

but I never wanted to gaming on this machine (maybe galgame?) so the lack on gaming performance is not a problem

6 minutes ago, Bobguo20010714 said:

i'm not sure cuz I'm in China and it costs 4000 RMB for a 4k 4712mq 8G 128G and 760m module

but I never wanted to gaming on this machine (maybe galgame?) so the lack on gaming performance is not a problem

I thought maybe the $630 was in canadian dollars.

Its my opinion that a 4k display is wasted on such a small screen, but my usage scenario was that I used my laptop with multiple monitors/keyborad/mouse/speakers...Basically I used my laptop as a desktop with a non-upgradable videocard.

The i7-4712mq and 760m are still 5 year old technology.  If your going to be taking the laptop lots of places your going to be pretty awful battery life.

You can easily get a far better machine with newer components

Just now, famine said:

Its my opinion that a 4k display is wasted on such a small screen, but my usage scenario was that I used my laptop with multiple monitors/keyborad/mouse/speakers...Basically I used my laptop as a desktop with a non-upgradable videocard.

The i7-4712mq and 760m are still 5 year old technology.  If your going to be taking the laptop lots of places your going to be pretty awful battery life.

I have budget for a Dell's laptop power bank and i might buy a new battery to swap.

And i would connect it to a 4k display for dual 4k monitor coding

and FYI my main workflow is based on coding applications and UTAU(a app like vocaloid but much smaller)

6 minutes ago, Bobguo20010714 said:

I have budget for a Dell's laptop power bank and i might buy a new battery to swap.

And i would connect it to a 4k display for dual 4k monitor coding

Ya but on a 15" 4k your going to have to upscale everything really high or nothing will be readable.  It will look great but I don't see if it would you make your productivity any better then would a 1080p screen when it is that small.  But that is just my opinion on it

Also it would be kinda annoying going using dual monitors where one is 15" and the other one is say 27".  Luckily your the Dell machine is old enough that it probably has a VGA/DVI in addition to HDMI output

Though that screen sure would be awesome for 4k movies!

24 minutes ago, famine said:

Ya but on a 15" 4k your going to have to upscale everything really high or nothing will be readable.  It will look great but I don't see if it would you make your productivity any better then would a 1080p screen when it is that small.  But that is just my opinion on it

Also it would be kinda annoying going using dual monitors where one is 15" and the other one is say 27".  Luckily your the Dell machine is old enough that it probably has a VGA/DVI in addition to HDMI output

Though that screen sure would be awesome for 4k movies!

yeah I'm thinking if 4k touchscreen really can help me

8 hours ago, Bobguo20010714 said:

But some YouTube video says that the temperature performance is acceptable

Mi Notebook Air: mediocre thermals, but this happens in almost every 13 inch thin chassis

Mi Notebook Pro: excellent thermals, enable further tuning, 8250U can perform like 7700HQ

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128