The Benefits and Drawbacks of Going 4k

Paul Rudd
Go to solution Solved by Paul Rudd,
39 minutes ago, SolarNova said:

Ill be honest here, i cant fathom how the benfits of 4K are not obvious.

its a higher resolution, if the benefits are so arbitrary and not obvious, then why not run at 640x480.

Its a higher resolution, it looks better, more can fit on the screen.

The drawbacks, it requires more GPU power.

Price isnt realy a draw back, any monitor is going to cost money, and you can get 4k monitors real cheap now, its other aspects of the monitor that drive up price, like the make, extra features, quality of the panel etc.

As for 4k gaming being just for bragging. Som1 with 'normal' vision should be able to tell the diference between 1080p, 1440p, and 4k , unless your using a tiny screen size.So its most certainly not just for bragging rights.

@SolarNova I know, right? So very obvious when you own one. As for the GPU requiring more power, sure if you're trying your best to achieve ultra settings. I'm not doing that. I'm trying to achieve medium to very high settings and so far my results have been beyond my expectations. Owning a 3GB GPU in 1080p for about a year and a half has taught me a lot about graphic settings. In fact, I believe I have mastered it. So now that I'm gaming in 4k on the exact same GPU, I don't even have to go into Nvida GeForce Experience anymore to check the recommended settings. I naturally set everything near perfect for a stable 60 fps. And if I see hiccups going on, I go in and do some tweaking here and there and boom, I'm above 70 fps on average. So I turn on v-sync and get to gaming at a stable 60 fps. And in doing so, gaming has become gaming again if you know what I mean.

I've heard so many different things from so many different people lately that upgrading from 1080p to 1440p or 2160p has become a bit of a challenge. I'm at the point where I really want to make the jump but I'd like to discuss the benefits and drawbacks of jumping all the way to 4k before actually jumping. Any and all suggestions, comments and concerns are much appreciated.

For productivity 4k= good,

But for gaming idk. 

Not really any drawbacks that I can think of beyond expense. Even if the gpu can't do 4k well, 1080P scales up cleanly enough, and the other benefits of the resolution (productivity) make it a worthwhile jump. 

I'll probably be getting a 4k hdtv for use with my desktop soon. The GTX 960 doesn't have a chance with modern gaming at 4k, though productivity and videos will benefit.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

4K gaming is taxing on GPUs, only a few can handle 4K at settings that makes 4K worth it.

Scaling can also be an issue, depending on OS. Personally, I hate OSX's scaling with 4K screens.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

I don't think 4K is worth the jump. I do have GTX 1080 Ti but I'd reach a maximum of 60 fps in games. 4k for gaming is not ready in my opinion. I play at 1440p, good middle-ground. Also as far as I am aware, 4k supports currently a maximum of 60 fps. I'll make the jump to 4K when I can get 165hz G-Sync HDR 4K monitor for 800 - 1000 euros.

2 minutes ago, Some Random Member said:

But for gaming idk. 

@Some Random Member What types of good productivity do you speak of?

benefits:
- a lot sharper image

drawbacks:

- still relatively high price

- high performance impact

- possible scaling and compatibility issues

For me it wouldn't be worth it, as I mainly use my PC for studying, content consumption and gaming, where having more horizontal screen real estate to comfortably put 2-3 windows of notes and papers next to each other on a 21:9 1440p ultrawide proved a lot more useful, and it also didn't impact the gaming performance so much. Also movies in cinematic aspect ratio look awesome.

Quote and/or tag people using @ otherwise they don't get notified of your response!

The HUMBLE Computer:

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X • Noctua NH-U12A • ASUS STRIX X570-F • Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16 • GIGABYTE Nvidia GTX1080 G1 • FRACTAL DESIGN Define C w/ blue Meshify C front • Corsair RM750x (2018) • OS: Kingston KC2000 1TB GAMES: Intel 660p 1TB DATA: Seagate Desktop 2TB • Acer Predator X34P 34" 3440x1440p 120 Hz IPS curved Ultrawide • Corsair STRAFE RGB Cherry MX Brown • Logitech G502 HERO / Logitech MX Master 3

Notebook:  HP Spectre x360 13" late 2018

Core i7 8550U • 16GB DDR3 RAM • 512GB NVMe SSD • 13" 1920x1080p 120 Hz IPS touchscreen • dual Thunderbolt 3

3 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Not really any drawbacks that I can think of beyond expense. Even if the gpu can't do 4k well, 1080P scales up cleanly enough, and the other benefits of the resolution (productivity) make it a worthwhile jump.

@Zodiark1593 I think going 4k is actually pretty affordable right now. What types of productivity exactly do you speak of? And I'm glad to hear the jump is worthwhile.

8 minutes ago, Some Random Member said:

But for gaming idk. 

4K gaming is practically just for bragging rights IMO.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

1 minute ago, A Random Dude said:

@Zodiark1593 I think going 4k is actually pretty affordable right now. What types of productivity exactly do you speak of? And I'm glad to hear the jump is worthwhile.

Writing, video editing, 3d graohics, photo editing, etc. 

My eyes see the past…

3 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Play Starfox Adventures in 4K and get back to us.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

Valkyria Chronicles looks fantastic in 4k, and is old enough for me to do so on my GTX 960.

My eyes see the past…

5 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

4K gaming is taxing on GPUs, only a few can handle 4K at settings that makes 4K worth it.

Scaling can also be an issue, depending on OS. Personally, I hate OSX's scaling with 4K screens.

@Drak3 Hmm, do you think high settings in 4k at say, 40-60 fps are worth gaming in over ultra settings in 1080p at a locked 60 fps? When you say scaling can be an issue, which OS is it not much of an issue in? And these issues, what are they exactly? Also, what is OSX?

8 minutes ago, CluelessGamer said:

I don't think 4K is worth the jump. I do have GTX 1080 Ti but I'd reach a maximum of 60 fps in games. 4k for gaming is not ready in my opinion. I play at 1440p, good middle-ground. Also as far as I am aware, 4k supports currently a maximum of 60 fps. I'll make the jump to 4K when I can get 165hz G-Sync 4k monitor for 800 - 1000 euros.

@CluelessGamer So you're all about frame rate and smoothness I would assume. What if you were all about how beautiful a game or a movie could look over how it looks in 1080p? Would you say those types of people would enjoy a 4k experience over 1080p? That same jump you are waiting for with the 4k needing to have a higher frame rate is similar to the jump I'm waiting for with 4k TV's. I won't make the jump to a 4k TV until cable companies offer 4k channels that you can watch.

4 minutes ago, A Random Dude said:

@Drak3 Hmm, do you think high settings in 4k at say, 40-60 fps are worth gaming in over ultra settings in 1080p at a locked 60 fps? When you say scaling can be an issue, which OS is it not much of an issue in? And these issues, what are they exactly? Also, what is OSX?

Yes.

Ubuntu is the best in terms of scaling, IMO. Windows 10 is a decent second, 8 a decen third.

Typically text is either too small, icons are too large, or some programs don't scale at all (mainly an issue in Windows).

7 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Valkyria Chronicles looks fantastic in 4k, and is old enough for me to do so on my GTX 960.

My 1070 can't do SFA 4K60 correctly.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

13 minutes ago, vojta.pokorny said:

benefits:
- a lot sharper image

drawbacks:

- still relatively high price

- high performance impact

- possible scaling and compatibility issues

For me it wouldn't be worth it, as I mainly use my PC for studying, content consumption and gaming, where having more horizontal screen real estate to comfortably put 2-3 windows of notes and papers next to each other on a 21:9 1440p ultrawide proved a lot more useful, and it also didn't impact the gaming performance so much. Also movies in cinematic aspect ratio look awesome.

@vojta.pokorny Yea I'm hearing all about the price, performance and compatibility issues but for some reason I want to experience those things for myself and see if I can figure out ways around them. Then I think it would benefit people to let them in on the workarounds and making the 4k experience a legit experience. That 21:9 1440p setup does sound very useful for the things you described. What is cinematic aspect ratio? Is that what 21:9 is? 

19 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

@Crunchy Dragon That sounds about right. I'm not exactly one to brag but when the opportunity to do so presents itself, it feels good to brag just a little tiny bit and hear the reactions it gets. Probably part of the reason I'm having trouble choosing between 1440p and 4k. Does 1080p suit you just fine?

21 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Writing, video editing, 3d graohics, photo editing, etc.

@Zodiark1593 You write on your computer? What type of software do you use to write on your PC? Same for video editing, 3d graphics and photo editing. What types of software do you use to do those things and how much better/easier are they for you in 4k?

29 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

@Drak3 I have never heard of this game before. Looks like it was originally on the SNES and then released to GameCube. Are they the same versions or is there a difference between the two? I'm really into action adventure games. This is a game I wish I had a 4k monitor to play it on. 

1 minute ago, A Random Dude said:

@Drak3 I have never heard of this game before. Looks like it was originally on the SNES and then released to GameCube. Are they the same versions or is there a difference between the two? I'm really into action adventure games. This is a game I wish I had a 4k monitor to play it on. 

Statfox Adventures is a Gamecube adventure game. It's nothing like the rest of the Starfox games.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

33 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

@Zodiark1593 Exactly a reason I want to upgrade to 4k right here. I play more old games than I do new ones and seeing older games being played in 4k with mid range GPU's is exciting to see. I see Valkyria Chronicles came to PC in January of 2017 and Valkyria Chronicles 4 released to PS4 a couple of months ago. I've always wanted to get into the series but I see that it has some tactical aspects to it. That type of stuff has a bit of a learning curve for me. Do you remember any of your first games similar to Valkyria Chronicles that basically got you into the genre and were kind of easier to learn?

24 minutes ago, A Random Dude said:

@Crunchy Dragon That sounds about right. I'm not exactly one to brag but when the opportunity to do so presents itself, it feels good to brag just a little tiny bit and hear the reactions it gets. Probably part of the reason I'm having trouble choosing between 1440p and 4k. Does 1080p suit you just fine?

I don't have any problems on 1080p, but my GPU isn't good for anything higher than 1080p anymore.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

21:9 ultrawides or nothing.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

39 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Yes.

Ubuntu is the best in terms of scaling, IMO. Windows 10 is a decent second, 8 a decen third.

Typically text is either too small, icons are too large, or some programs don't scale at all (mainly an issue in Windows).

@Drak3 Ubuntu? Never heard of it. Never even knew there were more OS's than just Windows and Linux on PC. Even though I know there's multiple OS's on tablets. I cannot stand Linux. That could mean I'd probably not like Ubuntu either. I'm so used to Windows. Very glad to see Windows 10 being in second, even if just decent. I like to think decent really works for me. You learn so much more from things that are decent IMO. As for this text issue, I've been hearing a lot about it. I want to experience it for myself. See what all the hubbub is about. Learn from it. Work my way around it. I have text issues in 1080p right now because I tweaked something to gain performance with gaming. Can't remember exactly what it was but I'm fine with it. It's kind of killing my eyes which I know cannot be good. Especially when I already have poor eyesight. I squint at everything. From using this monitor the way I do, I sometimes stop and force myself from using so many face muscles. Anyway... Which programs don't scale at all on Windows 10?

21 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Statfox Adventures is a Gamecube adventure game. It's nothing like the rest of the Starfox games.

@Drak3 I see there are a lot of Starfox games. Wouldn't mind giving them all a go sometime. I started to think you were talking about StarCraft games. I just cannot get into those games. Wish I could, people praise them all the time.