Looking for a Laptop for University :)

Hi, first time posting on here :)

Looking for a Laptop for University. When I joined secondary school I bought a MacBook Pro 2011 and that's got slower and slower and I have the feeling it's not gonna last me the next 6 years at Uni

I'm open to the idea of having another Macbook but with the raised prices in the UK it could be quite expensive. This has caused me to look at other options beside Apple for a Laptop.

Looking for a Laptop which has a decent battery life, is relatively thin but also has good computational power, somewhere upwards of £800 mark. I'm quite flexible on the price.

Any recommendations would be appreciated because I'm struggling to sift through the almost never-ending list of different models that appeal to me.

Thanks

2 hours ago, GingerOllieB said:

Hi, first time posting on here :)

Looking for a Laptop for University. When I joined secondary school I bought a MacBook Pro 2011 and that's got slower and slower and I have the feeling it's not gonna last me the next 6 years at Uni

I'm open to the idea of having another Macbook but with the raised prices in the UK it could be quite expensive. This has caused me to look at other options beside Apple for a Laptop.

Looking for a Laptop which has a decent battery life, is relatively thin but also has good computational power, somewhere upwards of £800 mark. I'm quite flexible on the price.

Any recommendations would be appreciated because I'm struggling to sift through the almost never-ending list of different models that appeal to me.

Thanks

Do you plan on gaming? and does it have to be thin and light

1 minute ago, ssblank said:

Id recommend the 1070Ti, its going to handle your games easily at 1080p and the coffee lake CPU is very powerful as well so you're not limited to just gaming

8 minutes ago, ssblank said:

I have a gaming PC i would use for gaming, so no - purely work, but I do like some processing power because I work quite fast so the processing power would help.

6 minutes ago, ssblank said:

Id recommend the 1070Ti, its going to handle your games easily at 1080p and the coffee lake CPU is very powerful as well so you're not limited to just gaming

Any preferenced models with these in?

25 minutes ago, GingerOllieB said:

I have a gaming PC i would use for gaming, so no - purely work, but I do like some processing power because I work quite fast so the processing power would help.

Any preferenced models with these in?

my bad. that post about the 1070 was for another thread on the forum. Guess i got confused and mixed up the posts

Just now, ssblank said:

my bad. that post about the 1070 was for another thread on the forum. Guess i got confused and mixed up the posts

but if you do want these specs as well as the thin and light factor check out the ASUS Zephyrus M or the Asus GU501GM (although I'm not sure you will find the 501 as its only been released in the US)

2 minutes ago, ssblank said:

not a problem mate.

6 minutes ago, ssblank said:

but if you do want these specs as well as the thin and light factor check out the ASUS Zephyrus M or the Asus GU501GM (although I'm not sure you will find the 501 as its only been released in the US)

Yeah seems a little too high a price for me, the specs are good but I've got similar in my own built PC that I can use for gaming. Any ideas for a laptop good for working but similar form factor?

6 hours ago, ssblank said:

ASUS Zephyrus M or the Asus GU501GM

Poor battery life, though it has Optimus switch

9 hours ago, GingerOllieB said:

decent battery life, is relatively thin but also has good computational power, somewhere upwards of £800 mark.

Do you need dGPU?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

22 hours ago, ssblank said:

This guys budget is like $1050usd.   Laptops with a 1070 start at like $1600

i would recommend you a blade stealth but they are a bit out of your price range, btw what mac book do you have (specs) it might just be trash ware on your mac. maybe you could get a mac-book air or something but they are a bit lacking in the "computational power" department tbh. i have been looking for a laptop with a bit of punch to it ,and have it last a day without needing to charge it.  and it is quite hard to find, the 2 i have found which where in my price range where (not any more because the blade 14 is sold out and everywhere else is now £1800) the razer blade 14 and the dell 7000 gaming except the dell is heavy and the blade is out of your and my price range. i mean the other option is to get a second hand laptop if you dont mind then you could buy the last gen blade 14 for 1000 ukp. 

20 hours ago, ZM Fong said:

Poor battery life, though it has Optimus switch

Do you need dGPU?

Likely not, if its good enough for work probably not.

4 hours ago, famine said:

This guys budget is like $1050usd.   Laptops with a 1070 start at like $1600

Between around $1000 and $1600. 

2 hours ago, xxx_cringe_xxx said:

i would recommend you a blade stealth but they are a bit out of your price range, btw what mac book do you have (specs) it might just be trash ware on your mac. maybe you could get a mac-book air or something but they are a bit lacking in the "computational power" department tbh. i have been looking for a laptop with a bit of punch to it ,and have it last a day without needing to charge it.  and it is quite hard to find, the 2 i have found which where in my price range where (not any more because the blade 14 is sold out and everywhere else is now £1800) the razer blade 14 and the dell 7000 gaming except the dell is heavy and the blade is out of your and my price range. i mean the other option is to get a second hand laptop if you dont mind then you could buy the last gen blade 14 for 1000 ukp. 

Will have a look, avoiding second hand laptops right now. My Macbook had a 2.2 i5 in and was the 2011 model I believe w 4GB RAM, not entirely sure on the rest but it isnt gonna last me the next 6 years at Uni.

5 hours ago, xxx_cringe_xxx said:

blade

No, Razer laptops have terrible quality and QC. Also terrible support

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

3 hours ago, GingerOllieB said:

Likely not, if its good enough for work probably not

You can consider Thinkpads like T480, T580, T480s, X series (KBL-R). Also workstation laptops, though you need to wait for CFL-H refresh models

Desktop specs:

Spoiler