Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sammyjo20

Does Taran's hotkeys actually improve his efficiency in editing?

Posted · Original PosterOP

I've just thought of this while seeing the new video "CUTTING OPEN A LASER KEYSWITCH!" and it got me thinking, Taran has loads of different hotkeys and buttons that help him edit but does he actually edit quicker than the other editors? Just a fun, light hearted question that I thought to ask :) 

- Sam

Of course it does. Thats literally the purpose of a hotkey pretty much. Having a button that does a function rather than having to navigate through a UI to do something or get somewhere will ALWAYS be faster.

Gaming - Ryzen 2600x | 16GB 3333mhz  Vega 56 | 500GB NVME 256GB SSD

Gaming 2 - Ryzen 2600x | 16GB 3400mhz  GTX 980ti | 500GB SSD | 6TB HDD 

Home Server - Ryzen 2700x | 16GB 3400mhz |  RX 550 | 500GB NVME 11x2TB HDD 

"The only real mistake is the one from which we learn nothing" - John Powell

11 minutes ago, suchamoneypit said:

Of course it does. Thats literally the purpose of a hotkey pretty much. Having a button that does a function rather than having to navigate through a UI to do something or get somewhere will ALWAYS be faster.

I completely agree, but in terms of speed compared to the other editors, does Taran push out more content? o.O

more, probably not, but more consistent in quality and general time taken yes, we also shouldn't forget that the complexity of the video(and the amount of shots used) also come into play, from something simple like this 

to monstrosities like this

https://twitter.com/TaranVH/status/903480732563021824

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

@TaranLMG Is a monster. Of course he uses all of them! And fast!

Use this guide to fix text problems in your postGo here and here for all your power supply needs

New Build Currently Under Construction! See here!!!! -----> 

Spoiler

Deathwatch:[CPU I7 4790K @ 4.5GHz][RAM TEAM VULCAN 16 GB 1600][MB ASRock Z97 Anniversary][GPU XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB][STORAGE 250GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD Samsung 2TB HDD 2TB WD External Drive][COOLER Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo][PSU Cooler Master 650M][Case Thermaltake Core V31]

Spoiler

Cupid:[CPU Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz][RAM 3 GB DDR2][750GB Samsung 2.5" HDD/HDD Seagate 80GB SATA/Samsung 80GB IDE/WD 325GB IDE][MB Acer M1641][CASE Antec][[PSU Altec 425 Watt][GPU Radeon HD 4890 1GB][TP-Link 54MBps Wireless Card]

Spoiler

Carlile: [CPU 2x Pentium 3 1.4GHz][MB ASUS TR-DLS][RAM 2x 512MB DDR ECC Registered][GPU Nvidia TNT2 Pro][PSU Enermax][HDD 1 IDE 160GB, 4 SCSI 70GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 3]

Spoiler

Zeonnight [CPU AMD Athlon x2 4400][GPU Sapphire Radeon 4650 1GB][RAM 2GB DDR2]

Spoiler

Server [CPU 2x Xeon L5630][PSU Dell Poweredge 850w][HDD 1 SATA 160GB, 3 SAS 146GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 6i]

Spoiler

Kero [CPU Pentium 1 133Mhz] [GPU Cirrus Logic LCD 1MB Graphics Controller] [Ram 48MB ][HDD 1.4GB Hitachi IDE]

Spoiler

Mining Rig: [CPU Athlon 64 X2 4400+][GPUS 9 RX 560s, 2 RX 570][HDD 160GB something][RAM 8GBs DDR3][PSUs 1 Thermaltake 700w, 2 Delta 900w 120v Server modded]

RAINBOWS!!!

QUOTE ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLYS!!!!

3 hours ago, suchamoneypit said:

Having a button that does a function rather than having to navigate through a UI to do something or get somewhere will ALWAYS be faster.

It's often faster, but not always. 

It depends on how easy the hotkey is to reach from your current positioning of the hand, and how hidden it is in the menus. 

For example the hotkey for content aware fill in Photoshop is J. In order to push that I need to lift my entire left hand, move it across the entire length of the keyboard and the press it. 

It can be faster to just quickly move your mouse cursor over to it and click the icon (especially if the cursor is already located on the left side). If the icon is not currently visible it will be faster with J though. 

I'm not sure why but this might be a kind of peace of mind deal. I mean I'm sure Linus is a tyrant when it comes to deadline but I still don't imagine this kind of deal while editing videos:

-------

Current Rig

-------

Taran needs his hotkeys to compensate for all the wasted time when he is pranked.

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

2 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

I'm not sure why but this might be a kind of peace of mind deal. I mean I'm sure Linus is a tyrant when it comes to deadline but I still don't imagine this kind of deal while editing videos:

Yeah, you can't edit videos like that. A large portion of video editing is just scrubbing through footage, and during that time you are generally clicking very few buttons if any.

The APM for video editing is probably not even 30 on average, and even that is probably very generous.

5 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Yeah, you can't edit videos like that. A large portion of video editing is just scrubbing through footage, and during that time you are generally clicking very few buttons if any.

The APM for video editing is probably not even 30 on average, and even that is probably very generous.

I agree. When it comes to making good quality content, you still have to take your time. That's why I had the question in the first place, because the editing is so consistent and often really well done, I'm surprised how Taran's hotkeys aren't being used across all the editors lol 

20 minutes ago, Sammyjo20 said:

I agree. When it comes to making good quality content, you still have to take your time. That's why I had the question in the first place, because the editing is so consistent and often really well done, I'm surprised how Taran's hotkeys aren't being used across all the editors lol 

He is the head editor IIRC

54 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

He is the head editor IIRC

Plot twist, he's the only editor. The others are only there for moral support and to get him coffee.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Hello kids,

The macros definitely save time. I'm putting out the same amount of videos, but now I also have to review every single video that we release. I mark it up with suggestions and/or mandatory fixes and send it back to the original editor. They make the fixes, watch it again themselves, send it to me, and then I have to watch the whole thing again as well.

That's for Floatplane videos. I also have to watch every YouTube version as well. So I must watch all videos we put out at LEAST twice. Sometimes a video bounces back and forth several times before it's good to go, especially if a sponsor is involved and they ask for even minor changes at the last minute...

We've caught a lot of errors in this way, but the process can take a long time.

Add to that the fact that before they are exported, my own videos must be reviewed with the writer, (and then changes/fixes are made) and then also with either Linus or Nick Light, (acting as a sort of editor-in-chief for the whole channel) and only THEN can I export the video (which takes a lot longer now that we use 8K R3D footage on a 4K timeline) and then of course, I have to review my own video exports as well.

On some days, I've spent literally half the day just reviewing videos.

So yeah. Having my macro keys and various scripts, and having discovered smart rendering, means that I'm able to work quickly with the time that I have left after all of my other duties. And I'm still able to put out 1 video a day if I need to.

BTW, the other editors do use some of my macro keys - these ones in particular:

I wrote this out while waiting for a video to render - it's a very natural time to take a break or do lower-priority tasks.

4 minutes ago, TaranLMG said:

I wrote this out while waiting for a video to render

I wonder where I've heard that excuse from...

AMD Phenom™ II X6 1100T @ 4.0GHz | MSI 890FXA-GD65 | MSI GTX 550Ti | 16GB Kingston DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD 750GB | Antec 300 | ASUS Xonar DG | Corsair A50 | OCZ 600W | Windows 10 Pro

Sony MDR-V250 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402

Intel Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 8GB DDR4 | Windows 10 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 

Intel Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina  Lenovo IdeaPad P580

AMD Phenom™ II X2 550 @ 3.10GHz | Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H | XFX Radeon HD 4870 | 4GB Corsair XMS2 | WD 250GB | Thermaltake TR2 500W | Windows 10 Pro

iPhone 6s (iOS 13.4.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 8.4) | Samsung Galaxy S5e