Gaming Operating system

GoD_OF_GaMiNg

wanted toknow the bes\t OS for gaming my friends say it is Windows 7

Xeon 4 core 8 Thread 3.00Ghz

8GB RAM

500 GB Hard Drive

Nvidia Geforce GTX 750(Over Clocked)

Dell Precision T3500 

If you never want to play DX12 titles: Windows 7, other wise Windows 10. Not a lot to it...

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Windows 7 is pretty close to being EOL so I wouldn't consider running it anymore. Just install Win10 or if you're opposed to Spycrosoft, pick 8.1 instead.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

Or try ubuntu linux with WINE if you ran out of money to buy windows.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

1 minute ago, NelizMastr said:

or if you're opposed to Spycrosoft, pick 8.1 instead.

FYI, the telemetry stuff has been present for a while now in Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 (if all the updates were done).

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

3 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

FYI, the telemetry stuff has been present for a while now in Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 (if all the updates were done).

Yep, but it's easier to block since they weren't part of the operating system from the most basic level of development. 

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

5 minutes ago, williamcll said:

Or try ubuntu linux with WINE if you ran out of money to buy windows.

Windows 10 can be run without activating it, you won't be able to personalize some stuff and will have a watermark in the bottom right corner, but other than that, it should work the same as the full version.

4 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

Windows 10 can be run without activating it, you won't be able to personalize some stuff and will have a watermark in the bottom right corner, but other than that, it should work the same as the full version.

Wouldn't this be considered pirating? Asking only because I think the forum rules forbide such discussion like hackintoshes.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

Just now, williamcll said:

Wouldn't this be considered pirating? Asking only because I think the forum rules forbide such discussion like hackintoshes.

It's not pirating, you can get the ISO from MS directly and not activating Windows 10 doesn't give you a time limit on being unactivated. Totally legal and it's a known trick to save some money on low budget builds.

8 hours ago, wkdpaul said:

It's not pirating, you can get the ISO from MS directly and not activating Windows 10 doesn't give you a time limit on being unactivated. Totally legal and it's a known trick to save some money on low budget builds.

Please don't go saying its not piracy as it is, Microsoft also states this very clearly in their terms of usage you are only allowed to use Windows outside of the 30 day trial if you have a genuine license key.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Useterms/Retail/Windows/10/UseTerms_Retail_Windows_10_English.htm

Authorized Software and Activation. You are authorized to use this software only if you are properly licensed and the software has been properly activated with a genuine product key or by other authorized method. When you connect to the Internet while using the software, the software will automatically contact Microsoft or its affiliate to conduct activation to associate it with a certain device. You can also activate the software manually by Internet or telephone. In either case, transmission of certain information will occur, and Internet, telephone and SMS service charges may apply. During activation (or reactivation that may be triggered by changes to your device’s components), the software may determine that the installed instance of the software is counterfeit, improperly licensed or includes unauthorized changes. If activation fails, the software will attempt to repair itself by replacing any tampered Microsoft software with genuine Microsoft software. You may also receive reminders to obtain a proper license for the software. Successful activation does not confirm that the software is genuine or properly licensed. You may not bypass or circumvent activation. To help determine if your software is genuine and whether you are properly licensed, see (aka.ms/genuine). Certain updates, support, and other services might only be offered to users of genuine Microsoft software.

5 minutes ago, MysticalGnome said:

Please don't go saying its not piracy as it is, Microsoft also states this very clearly in their terms of usage you are only allowed to use Windows outside of the 30 day trial if you have a genuine license key.

Spoiler

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Useterms/Retail/Windows/10/UseTerms_Retail_Windows_10_English.htm

Authorized Software and Activation. You are authorized to use this software only if you are properly licensed and the software has been properly activated with a genuine product key or by other authorized method. When you connect to the Internet while using the software, the software will automatically contact Microsoft or its affiliate to conduct activation to associate it with a certain device. You can also activate the software manually by Internet or telephone. In either case, transmission of certain information will occur, and Internet, telephone and SMS service charges may apply. During activation (or reactivation that may be triggered by changes to your device’s components), the software may determine that the installed instance of the software is counterfeit, improperly licensed or includes unauthorized changes. If activation fails, the software will attempt to repair itself by replacing any tampered Microsoft software with genuine Microsoft software. You may also receive reminders to obtain a proper license for the software. Successful activation does not confirm that the software is genuine or properly licensed. You may not bypass or circumvent activation. To help determine if your software is genuine and whether you are properly licensed, see (aka.ms/genuine). Certain updates, support, and other services might only be offered to users of genuine Microsoft software.

The only thing that indicates 30 days for anything is the limited warranty. It appears that Microsoft is telling you not to screw with their activation process but doesn't really say anything about a trial.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

I only quoted a small piece of the document, there is obviously allot more to it than this.

(ii)     Evaluation. For evaluation (or test or demonstration) use, you may not sell the software, use it in a live operating environment, or use it after the evaluation period. Notwithstanding anything to the contrary in this Agreement, evaluation software is provided “AS IS” and no warranty, implied or express (including the Limited Warranty), applies to these versions.

9 hours ago, GoD_OF_GaMiNg said:

wanted toknow the bes\t OS for gaming my friends say it is Windows 7

If you only play newer titles than you should be fine with Windows 10, performance wise it should be equal or better than Windows 7 in games.
But there are a lot of older titles that won't run on Windows 10, a multi boot with Windows 7 and 10 would then be the best option but you would have to install GRUB as the bootloader since Windows does not support booting to multiple operating systems.

1 hour ago, MysticalGnome said:

No it's not, Microsoft freely distributes Windows 10 ISO.

Pirating Windows would involve getting a copy from a "nefarious" source and activating it without going through Microsoft.

Running Windows unactivated is perfectly fine and isn't piracy, just like using Winrar for more than 40 days, or Avira for more than 30 days, all those have time limited trial agreements, but the end of the trial isn't "enforced" in the sense that the software will continue to run without issue and will simply remind you to activate it or buy a licence. That type of "never expiring trial that keeps reminding you to activate them" is called a nagware or annoyingware.

Edited by wkdpaul

Microsoft allows you to download it from their website because almost no manufacturer or reseller of PC hardware includes a physical copy of the OS anymore and because of the rapid update cycle of Windows 10 it would make sense that you are able to install the latest version of Windows 10 if you should have to reinstall it without having to wait for hours on Windows Updates and countless reboots. Also my last quote which is from the end user agreement states very clearly that a trial copy is not to be used in a live environment (so that means your computer which you actively use) and is for demo purposes only (try and buy) and you are not allowed to use it after the 30 day trial period. Also just because it continues to work does not mean you are legally allowed to use it, even if Microsoft takes no action to this right now, if it came to a court case you would be on the losing end of the stick but Microsoft would never bother to do that for civilian cases only for companies.

Here's my view from having run both Windows 7 and 10 for gaming since Window 10 released:

On 18/05/2018 at 4:56 AM, porina said:

If you never want to play DX12 titles: Windows 7, other wise Windows 10. Not a lot to it...

To be specific, if they want to play DirectX12-only titles then they'll need Windows 10. But DX12 titles that aren't made by Microsoft don't use DX12 as an only renderer choice. Microsoft makes their own new games DX12-only to try to artificially make people use Windows 10. Microsoft also makes some of its own game Windows Store-only for the same reason, and Microsoft's games that are DX12-only tend to also be Windows Store-only - which, for a lot of people, means that they aren't going to think about playing those few titles, anyway.

Also, for games that are currently in development, developers seem to be opting for Vulkan, which is the open-source twin to DX12 and which Windows 7 has, instead of DX12. Some developers that started making DX 12 in their games have even switched mid-development from DX12 to Vulkan, likely because Vulkan is multi-platform and open-source whereas DX12 isn't.

On 18/05/2018 at 5:00 AM, wkdpaul said:

Though, there is less of it in Windows 7, and it can be managed more easily in Windows 7, and without the telemetry resetting itself. I have a partial list of updates to avoid installing, or to remove in Windows 7, to keep out telemetry that was added in 2015 and 2016:

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

• 1 month later...

Windows or a game console’s OS. 

Noting game console operating systems should only work on official hardware. 

Edit: I leave windows vague as it depends on the games you want to play. Some only work on certain versions of Windows. 

Windows 10 every day all the way. 

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.

• 2 months later...
On 19.05.2018 at 11:37 PM, wkdpaul said:

Running Windows unactivated is perfectly fine and isn't piracy (...)

Really? Can you give me officail Microsoft confirmation of that theory? Maybe write to Microsoft and show us official answer?

Windows must be activated - only then is legal copy. It's not some kind of freeware that Microsoft publish for everyone. You can download Windows from their website, but if you want to use it - you must buy a key and activate it. It's not some kind of demo - you downloading fully functional commercial operating system.

But... I may be wrong and you may be right. I don't know for sure. Everything we have is just theories. I'm wonder if there is any official Microsoft answer for this question.

1 hour ago, The White Lady said:

What are you, a rat?? The OS police?? Jeesh.

are you necoring this thread?