Copper or Aluminium CPU and heatsink. HELP?

I have a Dell Inspiron 15 5567. To improve its performance I got some thermal grizzly conductonaut, but it turns out that you can't use it with Aluminium. How can I find out if the tops of my CPU and GPU or the heatsink are made with Aluminium?

Are you asking about how to tell whether your current heatsinks have aluminum or copper, or are you trying to find a new one?

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

I'm trying to find out if my current heatsink is made of Aluminum 

Very simple: if your heatsink looks brown-ish, it’s copper and if it’s grey then it is probably aluminium. Though in the latter, there is a very small chance it can have a nickel plating.

t6x66-dell-inspiron-15-5567-and-inspiron-17-5767-cpu-heatsink-and-fan-2.jpg

Looking online this is what my heatsink should look like. How would I go about safely applying the thermal "grease"?

3 hours ago, Ant2311 said:

t6x66-dell-inspiron-15-5567-and-inspiron-17-5767-cpu-heatsink-and-fan-2.jpg

Looking online this is what my heatsink should look like. How would I go about safely applying the thermal "grease"?

There is ZERO reason to use such a high end thermal paste on that laptop. I'm sorry but you will not gain any crazy performance levels from using liquid metal TIM. Use something like GC Extreme or IC-7. It's cheaper, safer, and ultimately better in the majority of use-cases.

S.K.Y.N.E.T. v4.3

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RX 6700XT |   Twin 24" Pixio PX248 Prime 1080p 144Hz Displays | 256GB Sabrent NVMe (OS) | 500GB Samsung 840 Pro #1 | 500GB Samsung 840 Pro #2 | 2TB Samsung 860 Evo1TB Western Digital NVMe | 2TB Sabrent NVMe | Intel Wireless-AC 9260

6 hours ago, Imglidinhere said:

There is ZERO reason to use such a high end thermal paste on that laptop. I'm sorry but you will not gain any crazy performance levels from using liquid metal TIM. Use something like GC Extreme or IC-7. It's cheaper, safer, and ultimately better in the majority of use-cases.

How would the alternatives be better? I wouldn't really call it high end, it costs about $2 more

17 hours ago, Ant2311 said:

How would the alternatives be better? I wouldn't really call it high end, it costs about $2 more

The alternatives aren't electrically conductive, meaning if you spill some on the motherboard you aren't completely screwed. You do that with LM? Oh your machine is fuuuuuucked.

S.K.Y.N.E.T. v4.3

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RX 6700XT |   Twin 24" Pixio PX248 Prime 1080p 144Hz Displays | 256GB Sabrent NVMe (OS) | 500GB Samsung 840 Pro #1 | 500GB Samsung 840 Pro #2 | 2TB Samsung 860 Evo1TB Western Digital NVMe | 2TB Sabrent NVMe | Intel Wireless-AC 9260