Inconsistant System Crashes With New Motherboard Install

Hey all,

I just purchased a new motherboard from Asus to replace my old board that insufficient VRM. 

Its an Asus X470F-Gaming motherboard. 

I am currently running this with 

-Ryzen 7 1700

-Be Quiet! Dark Rock TF cooler

-16GB Corsair Vengence LPX (2x8GB) RAM 

-Gigabyte GTX 980

-Seasonic 850W 80+Gold PSU

What is happening is during various work loads in games (sometimes heavy load sometimes really light loads but usually in games) the system will just crash. Black screens. 

Even the color wave RBG on the board freezes. 

Pressing reset does not fix the issue, pressing and holding power does not fix the issue. The only way to fix it is to switch off the PSU and wait for the lights to turn off.

After that it works fine like nothing happened. That is until the next crash. 

The crashes are very inconsistent. Sometimes it takes hours sometimes minutes. 

At first I thought it was an overclock issue but after taking everything back to stock the issue still persists.

I contacted Asus directly and they ultimately said that board was defective and I should RMA it. 

I instead returned it to Amazon and purchased the exact model board again from a different seller on Amazon. 

Installed it today and loaded up Skyrim. This game used to run fine for hours on end on my old motherboard.

About 45 minutes into the game, black screen, frozen RGB and no signs of life on the second new board running everything stock.

So now I am left scratching my head and frustrated. 

What the heck is going on here?

Is this just a poorly designed board?

Is this not compatible with 1st Gen Ryzen?

Am I just really unlucky to get 2 dud boards?

I have had Asus boards before and I really liked them but i am quickly losing faith in the brand.

If you have suggestions please do let me know.

Thanks.

You need to clean install windows after changing a motherboard.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, Enderman said:

You need to clean install windows after changing a motherboard.

I agree that this would be ideal. However given the symptom, I don't really know if that software related.

I would think that I would get a bsod if it were software. This, everything just goes black.

Could software cause that?

2 minutes ago, fastcar123 said:

I agree that this would be ideal. However given the symptom, I don't really know if that software related.

I would think that I would get a bsod if it were software. This, everything just goes black.

Could software cause that?

Yes.

Computers crash without BSODs very often.

You must ALWAYS reinstall windows after a motherboard swap.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

Yes.

And software would also cause the whole motherboard to be unresponsive during the crash?

7 minutes ago, fastcar123 said:

And software would also cause the whole motherboard to be unresponsive during the crash?

Yes, it definitely can.

Spoiler

7 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Yes, it definitely can.

Ok. I'll install Windows fresh tomorrow on to another SSD and run some games from my regular boot drive. If I can play for a few hours with no issues then that must be it. I'll update when I know more.

Do you think I could also reset Windows?

I was having a problem with my machine just freezing.  Only thing that would fix it would be to do a reset or hard reset.  Then I remembered to do a scan with the command sfc/scannow.  Found that I had some corrupted files that most likely occurred during the last Windoze update.  Problem fixed and no more freezes.  Instructions below....

To do so, you will have to first open an elevated command prompt window. To run the System File Checker in Windows 10/8/7, type cmd in start search box. In the result, which appears, right click on cmd and select Run As Administrator

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+run+sfc+%2Fscannow+windows+10&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS789US789&oq=how+to+run+sfc+%2F&aqs=chrome.2.69i57j0l5.11783j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

7 hours ago, kb5zue said:

I was having a problem with my machine just freezing.  Only thing that would fix it would be to do a reset or hard reset.  Then I remembered to do a scan with the command sfc/scannow.  Found that I had some corrupted files that most likely occurred during the last Windoze update.  Problem fixed and no more freezes.  Instructions below....

To do so, you will have to first open an elevated command prompt window. To run the System File Checker in Windows 10/8/7, type cmd in start search box. In the result, which appears, right click on cmd and select Run As Administrator

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+run+sfc+%2Fscannow+windows+10&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS789US789&oq=how+to+run+sfc+%2F&aqs=chrome.2.69i57j0l5.11783j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Ok. I'll try that too. Should I back up before I do so?

have you checked the windows event viewer? look under windows logs>system for any errors

Have you updated bios?

R7 5800x -:- Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming -:- EVGA FTW3 Ultra RTX3080 -:- EVGA 850 GA -:- 32GB G.Skill TridentZ Neo  -:- Asus TUF GT501

Just now, Alexalmighty502 said:

have you checked the windows event viewer? look under windows logs>system for any errors

I have not since the new board install. The first one I did. I don't remember a huge string of errors but I know that means they still could be there

Just now, ad1das said:

Have you updated bios?

Yes. It's running the latest 4011 bios

Just now, fastcar123 said:

I have not since the new board install. The first one I did. I don't remember a huge string of errors but I know that means they still could be there

next time it crashes check it and look up the error code

3 minutes ago, Alexalmighty502 said:

next time it crashes check it and look up the error code

Last time it did it (on the first board) event viewer said "the last shotdown was unexpected" but there was no error after that or before from what I can remember.

1 minute ago, fastcar123 said:

Last time it did it (on the first board) event viewer said "the last shotdown was unexpected" but there was no error after that or before from what I can remember.

as I said next time your system crashes look at the event viewer and look around for any errors

5 hours ago, fastcar123 said:

Ok. I'll try that too. Should I back up before I do so?

Creating a backup is not usually required for something like using the sfc /scannow function because I don't believe it looks at data files such as your pics and documents but it never hurts to be safe.  A good backup is always a good move, even if nothing is going goofy.  It is my understanding, and plz, someone correct me if I am wrong, the sfc /scannow function only looks at your Windows system files.

On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 7:54 AM, Alexalmighty502 said:

as I said next time your system crashes look at the event viewer and look around for any errors

Ok. Today it happened twice within just a few minutes sitting at the desktop. 

The error in Event Viewer is 

"The driver detected a controller error on \Device\RaidPort1."

Log name: System

Source: stornvme

Event ID: 11

Level: Error

I also have a whole bunch of

"The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
{6B3B8D23-FA8D-40B9-8DBD-B950333E2C52}
 and APPID
{4839DDB7-58C2-48F5-8283-E1D1807D0D7D}
 to the user NT AUTHORITY\LOCAL SERVICE SID (S-1-5-19) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool."

Source: distributedCOM

EventID:10016

User: LOCAL SERVICE

Opcode: info

I don't really know a whole lot about these logs. 

I do know that I am using a BPX 128GB NVME SSD for my boot drive. 

I talked to my coworkers and somebody suggested that the SSD could be failing. 

With an error code that has NVME in it, could this be possible?

On ‎5‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 11:36 PM, Enderman said:

Yes.

I have reset windows. At first it seemed to help but I am still experiencing the same issue.

4 minutes ago, fastcar123 said:

Ok. Today it happened twice within just a few minutes sitting at the desktop. 

The error in Event Viewer is 

"The driver detected a controller error on \Device\RaidPort1."

Source: stornvme

Event ID: 11

I also have a whole bunch of

"The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
{6B3B8D23-FA8D-40B9-8DBD-B950333E2C52}
 and APPID
{4839DDB7-58C2-48F5-8283-E1D1807D0D7D}
 to the user NT AUTHORITY\LOCAL SERVICE SID (S-1-5-19) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool."

Source: distributedCOM

EventID:10016

User: LOCAL SERVICE

Opcode: info

I don't really know a whole lot about these logs. 

I do know that I am using a BPX 128GB NVME SSD for my boot drive. 

I talked to my coworkers and somebody suggested that the SSD could be failing. 

With an error code that has NVME in it, could this be possible?

I have reset windows. At first it seemed to help but I am still experiencing the same issue.

Take "The driver detected a controller error on \Device\RaidPort1." and search google to see what solutions other people have tried.

To see if the drive is failing you can use CrystalDiskInfo but it sounds more like a software problem than a drive problem.

Something isn't liking your NVME ssd.

Spoiler

11 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Take "The driver detected a controller error on \Device\RaidPort1." and search google to see what solutions other people have tried.

To see if the drive is failing you can use CrystalDiskInfo but it sounds more like a software problem than a drive problem.

Something isn't liking your NVME ssd.

Not a whole lot comes up. Nothing I could find specifically for windows 10. 

One thing I did find that sounds really similar is 

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-hardware/the-driver-detected-a-controller-error-on/8ae5f637-b32a-4e33-9657-2327f34b51d2

This user has windows 7, so I don't know if that matters much, or if this is even usfull. 

Ultimately the solution was to run the manufactures error correcting tool. My SSD manufacture does not have a tool like this as they are a very cheap brand. 

http://mydigitalssd.com/pcie-m2-ngff-ssd.php#80mm-bpx-m2

CrystalDiskInfo says that SSD has 100% health

Had this same issue with AMD raid driver. I removed it and it fixed the issue.

Also, the black screen crash is how AMD freezes. Watch over clock videos from J2C and you'll see it.

7 minutes ago, Evanair said:

Had this same issue with AMD raid driver. I removed it and it fixed the issue.

Also, the black screen crash is how AMD freezes. Watch over clock videos from J2C and you'll see it.

That's odd. Ive had a regular Blue screen with this chip before this motherboard. 

interesting none the less

What is the AMD raid Driver?

I am not running a raid, but I am running enmotus fuzedrive. http://www.enmotus.com/AMD

Could this be the source of my issue?

This is still happening. now I cant launch a game at all. 

I am beginning to think the only way to fix this is to switch to intel. This is rediculous