Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
nicklmg

OnePlus 6 Factory Tour

I have no problems with sponsored factory tours and showcases like the "initial opinion" thing they dropped today but I don't think LTT should review this phone now like Linus said he would at the end of the initial reactions video. 

Also, they jacked up the prices so much but didn't get an IP rating or wireless charging? The amount of RAM is definitely overkill, and this one is subjective but the design just looks ugly AF (what's the forum policy on swearing btw?), would be skipping this one. 

8 minutes ago, johnnydoe9 said:

I have no problems with sponsored factory tours and showcases like the "initial opinion" thing they dropped today but I don't think LTT should review this phone now like Linus said he would at the end of the initial reactions video. 

Also, they jacked up the prices so much but didn't get an IP rating or wireless charging? The amount of RAM is definitely overkill, and this one is subjective but the design just looks ugly AF (what's the forum policy on swearing btw?), would be skipping this one. 

I thought you werent Allowed to swear, but i think its a case be case thing. Never been warned, but i dont do it often.

10 minutes ago, Kamjam21xx said:

I thought you werent Allowed to swear, but i think its a case be case thing. Never been warned, but i dont do it often.

Yeah thought so, haven't been involved in these forums before but I did notice the lack of profanity. 

4 minutes ago, johnnydoe9 said:

Yeah thought so, haven't been involved in these forums before but I did notice the lack of profanity. 

The mods have good judgement on here.

All that factory equipment has me drooling... im getting a cnc milling machine, lathe, plasma cutting table, cnc router, etc. I want a factory some day.

I'm about 6' tall plus footwear, a phone falling 1.8M with me is 100% possible if at the ear.

Beyond that it was a awesome video :D

4 hours ago, Kamjam21xx said:

I don't tend to swear much at all in RL. Full-blown profanity is reserved for when things go horribly wrong, as in "Huh, I thought I had ten fingers when I came in" wrong.

Modern phones are an impressive engineering feat. This manufacturing line serves to exemplify the amount of work going into producing one. There are very many steps involved in the QA, though there are also lots of things that are crammed into a phone that can go wrong too.

The pursuit of knowledge for the sake of knowledge.

Forever in search of my reason to exist.

It's most likely necessary on a mass production scale, but having a metal frame holder with one cutout for the screw on each step is just crazy overkill compared to ifixit repair guides, LOL

(also TIL I'm technically taller than linus ._.)

That’s an impressive looking factory thought I’d wager that many top-level phone manufacturers would have this sort of QA testing to some degree.

Regardless, back to the phone. I can’t help but feel very “meh” towards it. It’s the expected incremental update but also nothing really special or anything. In fact, the move to glass made it stand out less IMO. I know a lot of tech bloggers want phones to stand out but just adding a glass back just makes it blend in IMHO.

Also not big on the price hike. OnePlus is slowly becoming less and less of a value proposition with every new phone it releases and I really hope the camera is upgraded enough to justify the bump

Please tag me if you need assistance or if you want me to contribute to a topic 

ASUS RoG STRIX GL502VM

Intel Core i7 7700HQ | GeForce GTX 1060 6GB | 16GB DDR4-2133 | 128GB SanDisk M.2 SATA SSD + 1TB 7200RPM Hitachi HDD | 15.6" 1080p IPS monitor @ 60Hz w/ G-SYNC | Windows 10 64-bit

Samsung Galaxy Note8 SM-N950F

Exynos 8895 (4x Mongoose @ 2.3GHz, 4x Cortex A53 @ 1.7GHz)ARM Mali G71 MP20 | 6GB LPDDR4 | 64GB Samsung NAND flash w/ UFS 2.1 dual-lane controller + 128GB SanDisk C10 UHS-I microSD | 6.3" 1440p "Infinity Display" AMOLED | Android Nougat 7.1.1 w/ Samsung Experience 8.5

7 hours ago, Kamjam21xx said:

The mods have good judgement on here.

All that factory equipment has me drooling... im getting a cnc milling machine, lathe, plasma cutting table, cnc router, etc. I want a factory some day.

Yeah I think it's pretty cool there isn't swearing. 

55 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

It's most likely necessary on a mass production scale, but having a metal frame holder with one cutout for the screw on each step is just crazy overkill compared to ifixit repair guides, LOL

When repairing phones, the quantity is very minimal compared to what is required for mass production. Every little advantage that can improve efficiency will (within reason) be take. Much like a cpu pipeline, bottlenecks anywhere in the chain can slow down everything else.

A production line looks a lot like a cpu pipeline, actually, or rather, the other way around.

The pursuit of knowledge for the sake of knowledge.

Forever in search of my reason to exist.

Posted · Original PosterOP
13 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

I mean, when you're doing it potentially 1,000+ times per day I'm sure the frame comes in handy xD even if it only increases efficiency by 3-5 additional reps, that's 3-5 more phones for them to sell.