OnePlus 6 Factory Tour

I liked the outside shots from the last video, that camera is impressive.

Should film Outside more often, doesnt the town have a nice bay?

I have no problems with sponsored factory tours and showcases like the "initial opinion" thing they dropped today but I don't think LTT should review this phone now like Linus said he would at the end of the initial reactions video. 

Also, they jacked up the prices so much but didn't get an IP rating or wireless charging? The amount of RAM is definitely overkill, and this one is subjective but the design just looks ugly AF (what's the forum policy on swearing btw?), would be skipping this one. 

8 minutes ago, johnnydoe9 said:

I have no problems with sponsored factory tours and showcases like the "initial opinion" thing they dropped today but I don't think LTT should review this phone now like Linus said he would at the end of the initial reactions video. 

Also, they jacked up the prices so much but didn't get an IP rating or wireless charging? The amount of RAM is definitely overkill, and this one is subjective but the design just looks ugly AF (what's the forum policy on swearing btw?), would be skipping this one. 

I thought you werent Allowed to swear, but i think its a case be case thing. Never been warned, but i dont do it often.

10 minutes ago, Kamjam21xx said:

I thought you werent Allowed to swear, but i think its a case be case thing. Never been warned, but i dont do it often.

Yeah thought so, haven't been involved in these forums before but I did notice the lack of profanity. 

4 minutes ago, johnnydoe9 said:

Yeah thought so, haven't been involved in these forums before but I did notice the lack of profanity. 

The mods have good judgement on here.

All that factory equipment has me drooling... im getting a cnc milling machine, lathe, plasma cutting table, cnc router, etc. I want a factory some day.

2 hours ago, nicklmg said:

Thanks to OnePlus for sponsoring this video! Check out their pop-up events page for more info https://www.oneplus.com/ca_en/6-popups (Linus will be at the NY pop-up!)

Apple Gives no F's about durability and quality testing, not like they'll even LET you fix it too.

So, during the cold opening, OnePlus not only made you blur out the Razer logo on Linus's backpack, but actually change its color?  Pretty funny!  

I'm about 6' tall plus footwear, a phone falling 1.8M with me is 100% possible if at the ear.

Beyond that it was a awesome video :D

4 hours ago, Kamjam21xx said:

I don't tend to swear much at all in RL. Full-blown profanity is reserved for when things go horribly wrong, as in "Huh, I thought I had ten fingers when I came in" wrong.

Modern phones are an impressive engineering feat. This manufacturing line serves to exemplify the amount of work going into producing one. There are very many steps involved in the QA, though there are also lots of things that are crammed into a phone that can go wrong too.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

That’s an impressive looking factory thought I’d wager that many top-level phone manufacturers would have this sort of QA testing to some degree.

Regardless, back to the phone. I can’t help but feel very “meh” towards it. It’s the expected incremental update but also nothing really special or anything. In fact, the move to glass made it stand out less IMO. I know a lot of tech bloggers want phones to stand out but just adding a glass back just makes it blend in IMHO.

Also not big on the price hike. OnePlus is slowly becoming less and less of a value proposition with every new phone it releases and I really hope the camera is upgraded enough to justify the bump

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

7 hours ago, Kamjam21xx said:

The mods have good judgement on here.

All that factory equipment has me drooling... im getting a cnc milling machine, lathe, plasma cutting table, cnc router, etc. I want a factory some day.

Yeah I think it's pretty cool there isn't swearing. 

55 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

It's most likely necessary on a mass production scale, but having a metal frame holder with one cutout for the screw on each step is just crazy overkill compared to ifixit repair guides, LOL

(also TIL I'm technically taller than linus ._.)

When repairing phones, the quantity is very minimal compared to what is required for mass production. Every little advantage that can improve efficiency will (within reason) be take. Much like a cpu pipeline, bottlenecks anywhere in the chain can slow down everything else.

A production line looks a lot like a cpu pipeline, actually, or rather, the other way around.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Since the Xiaomi Mix2S and the OP6 costs almost the same, I wonder would Xiaomi 7 be cheaper and hopefully push down the OP6's price as well.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

13 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

It's most likely necessary on a mass production scale, but having a metal frame holder with one cutout for the screw on each step is just crazy overkill compared to ifixit repair guides, LOL

(also TIL I'm technically taller than linus ._.)

I mean, when you're doing it potentially 1,000+ times per day I'm sure the frame comes in handy xD even if it only increases efficiency by 3-5 additional reps, that's 3-5 more phones for them to sell.