Upgrade from Galaxy S7 to the S9??

S9? Pixel 2 XL? Other?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. S9? Pixel 2 XL? Other?

• Galaxy S9
    • Pixel 2 XL
    • Other

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on Jun 09, 2018 at 11:00 AM

Hey guys haven’t posted in a while but here goes!

My two year galaxy S7 contract ends next month and I’m currently deciding if I should jump from the S7 to the S9? I’m not bothered about the plus variants as I know the jump from S7 to S9 will be big anyway in terms of screen. It’s just everything else in question though. 

I’m at university right now so I can’t spend top dollar (or in my case, pound as I’m from the UK)

I’ll be getting calls, texts and data from the network and all of that and would be jumping from 2GB a month to 5GB with calls and texts being unchanged.

But to be honest, I’m torn between the S9 and the Google Pixel 2 XL for sure. I’d love to try and experience the clean crisp android build from Google with arguably one of the best cameras but I love my headphone jack and want the beautiful S9 display. Plus the S9 is massive upgrade in terms of audio anyway from the S7 so I know the S9 is evenly matched there against Pixel there.

I don’t know, I’m torn. Any and all advice welcome!

Thanks peeps! Have a great day!

P.S. Apple iPhone? Haha... hahaha.... hahahaha... Nope! ?

Wait for Pixel 3/Note 9 maybe? If you're not in a hurry that could be worth considering.

Also some other stuff this year that might be worth looking out for. E.g. U12, OnePlus 6, Essential Phone 2, etc.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

23 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Wait for Pixel 3/Note 9 maybe? If you're not in a hurry that could be worth considering.

Also some other stuff this year that might be worth looking out for. E.g. U12, OnePlus 6, Essential Phone 2, etc.

Well like I said I’m a uni student so I don’t want to pay extra for the note 9/pixel 3 as I’d be more than happy with the phones that are out already. I was considering the LG V30 for a while but the front facing camera sucks apparently and I’d be more comfortable staying within my lane of Samsung or stock android with a Google. 

Thanks for for the reply though! 

1 hour ago, BionicMushroom said:

Well like I said I’m a uni student so I don’t want to pay extra for the note 9/pixel 3 as I’d be more than happy with the phones that are out already. I was considering the LG V30 for a while but the front facing camera sucks apparently and I’d be more comfortable staying within my lane of Samsung or stock android with a Google. 

Thanks for for the reply though! 

It shouldn't really be extra though, no? Pixel 3 will probably be around the same price as the Pixel 2 is rn so it won't really be more.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

Pixel 2 unless you like being locked down with Samsung's software and never having a chance to see Android 9.

Oneplus 6 | Sony 55" X900F . Lenovo Y540 17" 144Hz RTX 2060 . i7 9750h. 

Audio-GD DAC-19MK3 > Schiit Lyr 2 + > FOSTEX TH900 . Sony XBA-Z5

4 hours ago, applebook said:

Pixel 2 unless you like being locked down with Samsung's software and never having a chance to see Android 9

Given the S7 Is being upgraded to android 8, you can say with some likelyhood the S9 will get up to android 10 and for sure Android 9. In a later time frame than the Pixel phones, but they will still get it

Processor: i7 7700k@Stock GPU: GTX 1080 MSI Armor OC  Mobo: Asus Prime Z270-A RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB 3200 MHz CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 SSD: Sandisk Ultra 2 960GB Case: Phanteks P400s PSU: Gigabyte B700H Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz Mouse: Logitech G900 Keyboard: Corsair Strafe w/ MX Blues

it depends, if you need the expandable storage or the dual sim, then go with S9. The display on S9 is unmatchable, although it is not that bad on Pixel 2 XL specially from the newer batch

Android 9 on S8 is never going to happen. You can dream though.

Oneplus 6 | Sony 55" X900F . Lenovo Y540 17" 144Hz RTX 2060 . i7 9750h. 

Audio-GD DAC-19MK3 > Schiit Lyr 2 + > FOSTEX TH900 . Sony XBA-Z5

11 hours ago, applebook said:

Android 9 on S8 is never going to happen. You can dream though.

Would you of said the S7 would never get Android 8 when the S8 launched, cas it has started rolling out. What leads you to believe Samsung is going to be worse in upgrading the S8 than the S7? 

Processor: i7 7700k@Stock GPU: GTX 1080 MSI Armor OC  Mobo: Asus Prime Z270-A RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB 3200 MHz CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 SSD: Sandisk Ultra 2 960GB Case: Phanteks P400s PSU: Gigabyte B700H Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz Mouse: Logitech G900 Keyboard: Corsair Strafe w/ MX Blues

Upgrade wise the S9 is my only option unless I buy either of the phones outright and Stick with my sim only.

Just seen the leaked pixel 3 stuff...

Yeah gonna go with the S9 I think haha