Dedicated external game drive vs regular external drive

I read somewhere (forgot where as I was browsing several sites) that it's better to buy game drives (ie Seagate external drives for xbox or ps) than regular external drives for additional console storage.

Is this "game drive" really a thing or are there no significant performance differences between the two?

I'm thinking of buying additional storage for my xbox and wondering if I would benefit from a game drive.

No such thing IMO.  

If anything I think data center drives loke WD gold would perform the best.

As far i know there isnt. They are just regular external drives. There are adapter you can get that allows you to use 3,5' HDD on console. The console will automatically format any drive once its connected and youve confirmed.

The only requirement is that the drive is using USB 3.0 speeds

No such thing as a game drive.

Sounds like marking BS.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 hour ago, svrndmngjr said:

I read somewhere (forgot where as I was browsing several sites) that it's better to buy game drives (ie Seagate external drives for xbox or ps) than regular external drives for additional console storage.

Is this "game drive" really a thing or are there no significant performance differences between the two?

I'm thinking of buying additional storage for my xbox and wondering if I would benefit from a game drive.

52 minutes ago, Enderman said:

No such thing as a game drive.

Sounds like marking BS.

100% is marketing, just like how my work benefit insurance claim got denied the first time I submitted it because the keyboard I bought for work is a "Gaming Keyboard" - had to contact my insurer and explain I bought it because it has Cherry MX Brown switches which are much less strenuous to type on and thus provide better health to me at work. Anywho, as someone who repairs and sells computers, "game drives" for consoles are literally just laptop (or desktop) drives with colors or branding that matches the green or blue team, depending on the console you own, and are not worth it unless on sale for a better price.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

Just get the most bang for your buck for an external drive.  Now though like I just noticed @GoldenLag said you have to get USB 3.0 drives.  

11 minutes ago, ImNotDeViLzzz said:

Just get the most bang for your buck for an external drive.  Now though like I just noticed @GoldenLag said you have to get USB 3.0 drives.  

last time i checked the enclose for the drive must be rated for USB 3.0 or above. the drive actually doesnt matter as long as the enclosure supports it. 

On 16/05/2018 at 7:59 AM, GoldenLag said:

last time i checked the enclose for the drive must be rated for USB 3.0 or above. the drive actually doesnt matter as long as the enclosure supports it. 

Yeah that is what I was saying but I guess I was not clear.  I guess leaving out the commas with my post didn't help.

2 hours ago, ImNotDeViLzzz said:

Yeah that is what I was saying but I guess I was not clear.  I guess leaving out the commas with my post didn't help.

I was just making shure that you didnt stsrt looking for 3,5 drives that usb inout or something, instead of an enclosure with usb 3. Srry

On 18/05/2018 at 9:46 AM, GoldenLag said:

I was just making shure that you didnt stsrt looking for 3,5 drives that usb inout or something, instead of an enclosure with usb 3. Srry

Don't be sorry.  You were just trying to be helpful. Have a good one.

On 16.5.2018 at 7:52 AM, svrndmngjr said:

That was marketing propaganda.

The only thing that is faster than a 2,5" drive is a 3,5" drive, especially with higher RPMs.

If you don't care about price much, get an external Toshiba Drive, they are cheap for 7200rpm.

No, just looks and Marketing.

Sometimes they are cheaper than regular drives though.

Yeah, I've seen that in a store here recently 9_9

No, absolutely NOT!

What I'd if I want space and performance is to get a 7200rpm drive or if you only play one game at a time, an SSHD.
And a normal, good quality external drive case with USB3.0

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

The difference between the Seagate Gaming Drive for Xbox (STEA2000403) and the Seagate 2TB backup plus slim (STDR2000100) is the green case and Xbox logo...and you'll pay about $10 more for the Xbox variant.

For some people the $10 is worth it for the swag factor... but $10 would buy you more Doritos and Mountain Dew so it's your choice.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler