Nikon D3300 or D4400 for filming? Or something else?

I'm trying to get into the world of cinematography as I really enjoy it. For the last few years I've been working with either a 720p Lumix that's about 8 years old, or my iPhone 6s. It's time for an upgrade. I've read a lot of good things about the Nikon D3300 but not much about its video performance, same thing with the D4400. If anyone here has experience with either of these cameras (or both) and/or knows of a better one for ~$500, I'd appreciate if you could let me know.

Thanks!

it's time

Never go Nikon for video. Right now they are the worst at video while Sony and Panasonic mirrorless are at the top. 

Canon is a good option too for more budget friendly run and gun setups. 

FX-8350 GTX760 16GB RAM 250GB SSD + 1TB HDD

"How many roads must a man walk down?" "42"

32 minutes ago, xQubeZx said:

Never go Nikon for video. Right now they are the worst at video while Sony and Panasonic mirrorless are at the top.

Actually they are quite good if you invest into an external recorder. Nikon Cameras are able to output a clean Signal which can then be recorder in an higher quality codec than H264. Sony can do that as well and the last time I heard Canon wasn't abe to do that. But that was at least one or two years ago

40 minutes ago, FStopDesigns said:

Actually they are quite good if you invest into an external recorder. Nikon Cameras are able to output a clean Signal which can then be recorder in an higher quality codec than H264. Sony can do that as well and the last time I heard Canon wasn't abe to do that. But that was at least one or two years ago

I don't really have the budget for that. I might upgrade later but for now H.264 is fine. Do you have any recommendations?

it's time

Look at the panasonic g7 if you are strictly into video only, if you want to do some photography as well, I'd go with a t7i

6700k|Hyper 212 EVO|Asus Z170 Deluxe|GTX970 STRIX|16gb 2400mhz Teamgroup memory|Samsung 950 PRO+ 2TB Seagate HDD| CM Realpower M1000|H440

"The tragedy of the poor is the poverty of their aspirations" Adam Smith

Take a look at my flickr?:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/150012948@N06/

7 minutes ago, cc143 said:

Look at the panasonic g7 if you are strictly into video only, if you want to do some photography as well, I'd go with a t7i

Thanks!

it's time

It all really depends on if you already have some lenses. But since it doesnt sound like that its a wide field to choose from. Anything in specific you're usually shooting?

2 hours ago, FStopDesigns said:

You kinda hit a dead end then. I mean its a stupid move to invest in Nikon for video. If you go Canon you get acceptable video features but the EF-lens line supported by most major dedicated video camera makers, for example RED or a Canon Cxxx. They also adapt well to mirrorless systems. If you go Sony you get a lot of good features and ton of 3rd part support, same with Panasonic. Sony makes some good video cameras aswell if you in the future are looking to upgrade to something that isn’t a dslr/mirrorless. 

With Nikon you get, well Nikon. Nikon lenses for Nikon bodies and quite few options to adapt them. 

I agree with @cc143 about the G7 if you only do video and the T7i for more allround. Also a Sony A6300 if you can find a really good used deal on one. 

FX-8350 GTX760 16GB RAM 250GB SSD + 1TB HDD

"How many roads must a man walk down?" "42"

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/16/2018 at 12:25 PM, FStopDesigns said:

It all really depends on if you already have some lenses. But since it doesnt sound like that its a wide field to choose from. Anything in specific you're usually shooting?

I already have some Lumix lenses. I don't really have anything specific I'm shooting, I just want to experiment and build my skills.

it's time