Anyone play PoorStation 2 on a modern TV?

SteveGrabowski0

I picked up a used PS2 fat cheap today but of course it looks like ass using the standard composite cables. Any recommendations for component cables that work well with it and don't cost $70 used like the official PS3 component cables or $45 used like the Monster PS3 component cables? (PS3/PS2 both have the same plug for composite/component cables)

any composite

or component

or even rca

it is about 99.9% the same, thicker gauge is better but not worth it when it is just PS2 

if it looks garbage, that is because component is garbage, and it was designed for CRT where things aren't as crisp and as sharp and it is slightly blurred, making it seem nicer

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

3 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

I picked up a used PS2 fat cheap today but of course it looks like ass using the standard composite cables. Any recommendations for component cables that work well with it and don't cost $70 used like the official PS3 component cables or $45 used like the Monster PS3 component cables? (PS3/PS2 both have the same plug for composite/component cables)

https://quade.co/2017/ps2-fat-hdmi/

Alternatively just play on a CRT

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

Yeah, I use component cables on a slim PS2 with a 46" 1080p tv, it looks...ok. Definitely better than my N64 currently in my room hooked up to 4k 40", that looks like total arse xD (classic Super Mario 64 experience though)

CPU: AMD Sempron 2400+ / MOBO: Abit NF7-S2G / GPU: WinFast A180BT 64MB / RAM: Mushkin DDR333 256MBx2 / HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 120GB

The PS2 kind of just looks like shit regardless at this point. I tried playing a game not too long ago before stopping after a few minutes because I was so disappointed with it compared to how I remembered it.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

BTW, the quality of cables I have are similar to these inexpensive ones, maybe just a tad thicker wires (bought from radioshack eons ago):

https://www.amazon.com/Gam3Gear-Component-Audio-Video-Cable/dp/B00005MDZD/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_63_img_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=0KDB968HMX8MR5EDW8EB#customerReviews

Honestly, while playing God Of War 1&2, was downright enjoyable quality on a 1080p TV. I mean, a very noticeable step up from regular composite cables for sure.

CPU: AMD Sempron 2400+ / MOBO: Abit NF7-S2G / GPU: WinFast A180BT 64MB / RAM: Mushkin DDR333 256MBx2 / HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 120GB

I know PS2 isn't going to look great on a modern TV but component is supposed to be significantly better than composite even for it. I'm probably not going to buy a big ass CRT.

8 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

The PS2 kind of just looks like shit regardless at this point. I tried playing a game not too long ago before stopping after a few minutes because I was so disappointed with it compared to how I remembered it.

I play some PS2 games on my PS3 and they look kind of crap since they're PS2 games, but the picture quality is reasonable. I'm hoping I can get a picture with component on par with with how PS2 games look on PS3 with smoothing turned off. My PS3 isn't BC, I'm just talking a couple of the software emulated titles like Persona 3 FES and Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne I bought off PSN.

2 hours ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Yeah but does it look like ass because of the Cable or because that's the way the games were designed??

to be honest, I'd try Emulation with consoles this old, for two reasons:

a) after all that time, Emulation is sufisticated enough to just work.

b) you can add filters that make the games look way better than they did on the Original console. 

Yes, I know, you probably want the Original experience, but at this point in time, there are better options than the Original Console available....

PS: I didn't have a Compnent cable and neither tried the Composite because I have an RGB cable for my PS2 and just tried playing a game or two...

Well, lets just say "Calm Lands" in Final Fantasy X (and X-2)...

I think you know what I mean and want to say -> no mip mapping, so awful flickering...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

5 hours ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

https://www.amazon.com/Component-AV-Cable-Set-PlayStation-PS/dp/B002MRLDPA

Can't vouch for the quality, but at least they're not expensive.

4 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

Yeah but does it look like ass because of the Cable or because that's the way the games were designed??

to be honest, I'd try Emulation with consoles this old, for two reasons:

a) after all that time, Emulation is sufisticated enough to just work.

b) you can add filters that make the games look way better than they did on the Original console. 

Yes, I know, you probably want the Original experience, but at this point in time, there are better options than the Original Console available....

PS: I didn't have a Compnent cable and neither tried the Composite because I have an RGB cable for my PS2 and just tried playing a game or two...

Well, lets just say "Calm Lands" in Final Fantasy X (and X-2)...

I think you know what I mean and want to say -> no mip mapping, so awful flickering...

PCSX2 isn't great IMO. For instance, when I played through God of War 1 I'd get texture issues. On Drakengard 1 I'd sometimes get slowdowns that I know were due to the emulator because the sound would glitch. One of the big reasons I got the original hardware was to play Persona 4 with the original Japanese voices. Persona 4 is supposed to have a lot of problems on PCSX2. I have never played through a full game on PCSX2 where I particularly enjoyed the experience while I have never had problems playing the PS2 games PSN sells for PS3 that run through their software emulation. PCSX2 isn't like playing Dolphin, whose emulation feels flawless IMO when I play it.

Ugh I feel like an idiot. The reason it looked so bad was my TV was set to stretch any 4:3 signal it got to 16:9. Now correcting that so it doesn't stretch the 4:3 signal from my composite input, the picture actually looks pretty decent. Not as good as it would be using component, but I can enjoyably play games on it now. Still definitely going to pick up some component cables for it even though I'm guessing it'll cost me the ability to play PS1 games since they're usually rendered at 240p and the lowest resolution my TV supports on component is 480i. But my Raspberry Pi is awesome for PS1 games and my PS3 can play PS1 discs.

17 hours ago, Streetguru said:

https://quade.co/2017/ps2-fat-hdmi/

Alternatively just play on a CRT

Yeah, find a old flat CRT tube TV.

I still have a fatty PS2 and slim PS2.  I tried to make them look good on new TVs, but the games are still painful to look at on newer screens.

Reason I kept my old CRT TVs when I get an itch to play on my older consoles.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

On 5/15/2018 at 9:04 PM, themctipers said:

any composite

or component

or even rca

it is about 99.9% the same, thicker gauge is better but not worth it when it is just PS2 

if it looks garbage, that is because component is garbage, and it was designed for CRT where things aren't as crisp and as sharp and it is slightly blurred, making it seem nicer

Composite and RF (especially RF) have fairly poor color reproduction capability and produce a noticeably noisy output compared to Component. Component looks cleaner, and can output a progressive signal, though the PS2 is still largely limited to sub-640P resolutions. The sharper image provided by Component may also bring attention to the low resolution, which some users may consider a downgrade from a noisy image. Sharpening can be adjusted by the tv to subdue the aliasing a little, though it is no substitute for resolution or even AA.

On 5/16/2018 at 4:46 AM, SteveGrabowski0 said:

PCSX2 isn't great IMO. For instance, when I played through God of War 1 I'd get texture issues. On Drakengard 1 I'd sometimes get slowdowns that I know were due to the emulator because the sound would glitch. One of the big reasons I got the original hardware was to play Persona 4 with the original Japanese voices. Persona 4 is supposed to have a lot of problems on PCSX2. I have never played through a full game on PCSX2 where I particularly enjoyed the experience while I have never had problems playing the PS2 games PSN sells for PS3 that run through their software emulation. PCSX2 isn't like playing Dolphin, whose emulation feels flawless IMO when I play it.

To be fair, the PS2 was a (unnecessarily) complex system. Not too unlike what developers had to deal with in Cell. I did do a playthrough of Final Fantasy XII, and minus the shadow glitches in cut scenes, and one Quickening bringing the game to 2-3 fps, ran flawlessly. The game's visuals benefitted massively from the resolution increase as well.

Of course, this was a game that is among the more cooperative for PCSX2. Many games are confined to the software renderer to be fully playable (in part or in full). Happily, my favorite RPG falls under the cooperative type. Granted, Zodiac Age on PS4 is a thing, but I'm not buying a PS4 anytime ever, soo...

To the OP: Don't bother with Monster cables. Look around for cheaper Component cables. The ones I bought from Wal Mart cost me $20.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

25 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

To be fair, the PS2 was a (unnecessarily) complex system. Not too unlike what developers had to deal with in Cell. I did do a playthrough of Final Fantasy XII, and minus the shadow glitches in cut scenes, and one Quickening bringing the game to 2-3 fps, ran flawlessly. The game's visuals benefitted massively from the resolution increase as well.

Of course, this was a game that is among the more cooperative for PCSX2. Many games are confined to the software renderer to be fully playable (in part or in full). Happily, my favorite RPG falls under the cooperative type. Granted, Zodiac Age on PS4 is a thing, but I'm not buying a PS4 anytime ever, soo...

Dude, Zodiac Age is on Steam now.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/595520/FINAL_FANTASY_XII_THE_ZODIAC_AGE/

1 minute ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

The heck. When did this become a thing!?

I hadn't been on Steam in close to a year though...

That price though. Too much for my liking.

My eyes see the past…

Just now, Zodiark1593 said:

It just came out a few months ago. Here is an analysis of the port:

11 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

It just came out a few months ago. Here is an analysis of the port:

Don't think I buy the 980 requirement for 1080p at 60 fps. Seems on the overly conservative side. My 960 has no issue running the game in an emulator at 1440P. I'm pretty certain that, unless something was done horribly wrong, I should have no issue cracking 60fps at 1080P.

My eyes see the past…

2 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Granted, Zodiac Age on PS4 is a thing, but I'm not buying a PS4 anytime ever, soo...

Öhm?!

Look at that!

1. Since Playstation uses X86.

Just look on Steam what "3rd Party Exclusives" you'd like to Play.

2. Go on steam and look for JRPG. You'd be surprised what you find!

Neptunia 4 Goddess Online came out a couple of days after I've gotten it on PS4...

Or try Ni No Kuni 2 for example. Or Tokyo Xandau or many many more you culd get 

1 minute ago, Stefan Payne said:

Öhm?!

Look at that!

The past four comments revolve around that, my dude

Just now, meenmeen1103 said:

The previous four comments revolve around that, my dude

I is dumb, plz ignore

Case: Corsair 760T  |  Psu: Evga  650w p2 | Cpu-Cooler : Noctua Nh-d15 | Cpu : 8600k  | Gpu: Gygabyte 1070 g1 | Ram: 2x8gb Gskill Trident-Z 3000mhz |  Mobo : Aorus GA-Z370 Gaming K3 | Storage : Ocz 120gb sata ssd , sandisk 480gb ssd , wd 1gb hdd | Keyboard : Corsair k95 rgb plat. | Mouse : Razer deathadder elite | Monitor: Dell s2417DG (1440p 165hz gsync) & a crappy hp 24' ips 1080p | Audio: Schiit stack + Akg k712pro + Blue yeti.

Shouldn't a good TV have such a thing inside??

On 5/16/2018 at 11:05 AM, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Ugh I feel like an idiot. The reason it looked so bad was my TV was set to stretch any 4:3 signal it got to 16:9. Now correcting that so it doesn't stretch the 4:3 signal from my composite input, the picture actually looks pretty decent. Not as good as it would be using component, but I can enjoyably play games on it now. Still definitely going to pick up some component cables for it even though I'm guessing it'll cost me the ability to play PS1 games since they're usually rendered at 240p and the lowest resolution my TV supports on component is 480i. But my Raspberry Pi is awesome for PS1 games and my PS3 can play PS1 discs.

I play on a 4K OLED and I can definitely see a difference between composite and component. It's sharper on component but probably not as good as PS3 via HDMI. Too bad I no longer have a backwards compatible PS3 so I have to settle for that if PCSX2 support is crap for the game.