ULTIMATE Guide to Fan RPM & RGB Ecosystems

3 minutes ago, DeathTrigger said:

could I split the header?

Oh my bad. Yes, sure! I know for a fact that coolermaster often provide RGB splitters for their products. 

Although, I used a splitter for the 2x 200mm fans on my MSI z370 with my H500P Mesh and the lighting wasn't as bright as when I switched to Molex.
So TL;DR: yes, but I am unsure if the result will be the same as using SATA or Molex

RGB & Fan control ULTIMATE GUIDE !

10 minutes ago, Beer_Nontitju said:

Oh my bad. Yes, sure! I know for a fact that coolermaster often provide RGB splitters for their products. 

Although, I used a splitter for the 2x 200mm fans on my MSI z370 with my H500P Mesh and the lighting wasn't as bright as when I switched to Molex.
So TL;DR: yes, but I am unsure if the result will be the same as using SATA or Molex

Thanks for those damn fast answers :P I'll reply my results when I get those in :)! It's fine for me if the lighting wont be as bright I'd rather have something synced haha

Hello Guys,

I am doing my first PC build ever so please be kind. I have a question about RGB fans. I got an Phanteks Ethnoo Pro SE, which comes with a PWM HUB with 3 attached RGB fans. I have an old Asus z87 plus motherboard which doesn't have RGB header so I bought Cooler Master RGB Controller. Also I have a Cooler Master 212 Black Edition RGB CPU cooler. I have zero experience putting these together. Could someone help me how to connect these 4 fans together with the RGB Controller? I would like to be able to controller them together.

Thank you very much in advance 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I have today ordered myself a new motherboard, MSI MEG Z390 ACE. I have Enermax T.B.RGB fans and the controller from before. I am thinking of buying Thermaltake Riing Plus or Trio 200mm fan, as Enermax does not have any 200mm rgb fans. But before doing so, i would like to know if it is possible to get Thermaltake fan to work togheter with the Enermax fans. Is it possible to connect the Thermaltake fan into the Enermax controller, or do i need the controller for Thermaltake as well? Maybe i can connect the Thermaltake fan into my new motherboard, and it will be in sync with the Enermax fans that way? Sorry if this is a stupid question, but i am a bit of a noob when it comes to all this.

On 1/22/2021 at 11:08 AM, Aalbergsjo said:

I have today ordered myself a new motherboard, MSI MEG Z390 ACE. I have Enermax T.B.RGB fans and the controller from before. I am thinking of buying Thermaltake Riing Plus or Trio 200mm fan, as Enermax does not have any 200mm rgb fans. But before doing so, i would like to know if it is possible to get Thermaltake fan to work togheter with the Enermax fans. Is it possible to connect the Thermaltake fan into the Enermax controller, or do i need the controller for Thermaltake as well? Maybe i can connect the Thermaltake fan into my new motherboard, and it will be in sync with the Enermax fans that way? Sorry if this is a stupid question, but i am a bit of a noob when it comes to all this.

Can't speak to Enermax, but odds are if you're asking then yeah you'll need both controllers (as in you won't be fabbing your own solution).
The first page to this post is a little outdated on Thermaltake.

ThermalTake currently uses a 5 port hub with the same connectors (they look like repurposed USB-2 connectors) with a proprietary controller. The TT RGB software that works with the Trios allow you to do quick/customizable presets (preset pattern, custom colors) in the software or sync with Razer Chroma which requires the software to be left running. 

They still make (or at least sell) the 9 port hub which is basically just a splitter for their combined connector and allows you to use your motherboard to control the RGB instead. I was only able to find 1 new and had to have it shipped from the UK to the US. Not all of the ports on it work (luckily you can daisy chain non-fan TT stuff like their RGB fittings) and when i plug in a PWM cable it allows me to control fan speed through the motherboard as well, but causes all the TT rgb stuff to flash every few seconds.

It's a really simple board that's basically just hard wiring things in a daisy chain with 1 capacitor and no chips so i'm trying to figure out if i can convert the fans to just straight RGB / PWM connectors and leave everything else connected to the hub since that adds in SATA power for all the RGB and complicates things for me. 

I have a SATA powered ARGB controller I plan on daisychaining 7 ARGB fans off of - power wise for the LEDS (IM AN RGB NEWB) is this an acceptable amount of fans on an RGB controller powered by SATA?  The fans themselves will be all attached to a molex powered hub for RPM.  

THanks!

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

On 1/27/2021 at 12:41 AM, RadicalxEdward said:

Can't speak to Enermax, but odds are if you're asking then yeah you'll need both controllers (as in you won't be fabbing your own solution).
The first page to this post is a little outdated on Thermaltake.

ThermalTake currently uses a 5 port hub with the same connectors (they look like repurposed USB-2 connectors) with a proprietary controller. The TT RGB software that works with the Trios allow you to do quick/customizable presets (preset pattern, custom colors) in the software or sync with Razer Chroma which requires the software to be left running. 

They still make (or at least sell) the 9 port hub which is basically just a splitter for their combined connector and allows you to use your motherboard to control the RGB instead. I was only able to find 1 new and had to have it shipped from the UK to the US. Not all of the ports on it work (luckily you can daisy chain non-fan TT stuff like their RGB fittings) and when i plug in a PWM cable it allows me to control fan speed through the motherboard as well, but causes all the TT rgb stuff to flash every few seconds.

It's a really simple board that's basically just hard wiring things in a daisy chain with 1 capacitor and no chips so i'm trying to figure out if i can convert the fans to just straight RGB / PWM connectors and leave everything else connected to the hub since that adds in SATA power for all the RGB and complicates things for me. 

Ok, then i think i will replace my Enermax T.B. RGB fans with Thermaltake Riing or Trio fans as well. They look much more nicer anyway, so i guess i will not regret doing so. I guess i will go for the Riing fans, as they are cheaper then the Trio fans. After looking at some Youtube videos, i dont think they look that much different. Cant wait for my new pc build. MSI MEG Z390 ACE Motherboard, Intel Core i9-9900 Processor, G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3600MHz 32gb ram, and my old GeForce GTX 970 graphics card. Not sure if the processor will be a bit excessive for the rest of my build, or if maybe something else should be better, as i have limited knowledge of computers. I just need to buil a new pc, that looks awesome and will last me another 10 years as my old one has. Think i will also buy myself Thermaltake Level 20 GT Chassis to replace my CM Storm Trooper Chassis. Thank you very much for your answer RadicalxEdward 🙂 

• 3 months later...

I’m as green as it gets when it comes to RGB so I’ll be as comprehensive about what I have and where I’d like to get it to. I know I’ll figure some things out on my own through trial and error but any advice  - even the broad stokes will be awesome.

What I Got:

Asus Dark Hero MB with 2 x ARGB, 2 x RGB headers, 6 x fan headers

CPU block RGB

GPU block RGB

D5 pump RGB

Recevoir RGB

3 x Lian Li UNI’s on rad 1 daisy chained

2 x Lian Li’s UNI’s on rad 2 daisy chained

2 x single Lian Li UNI’s not daisy chained

What I want - everything controlled by Corsair Commander

With 6 fan connections on the Commander I have the fan power control covered but it only has 2 RGB connections and by my count I have 8 RGB components. Where do they all go??

Will the controller’s that come with the Lian Li’s be of any use?

Do I need an additional Corsair controller like the “lighting node” to accomodate the RGB components?

Or do I abandon all hope and daisy chain everything to the MB??

PS I’m aware that Lian Li’s aren’t plug and play with corsair but I’ve seen some vids on how to bring them into the Corsair environment with an adapting cable.