ULTIMATE Guide to Fan RPM & RGB Ecosystems

Hi community,

There is no unified way of syncing RGB lighting between brands. Brands all have their little ecosystem: it can be confusing and sometimes even overwhelming.
I took the initiative to start quick guides on how to setup a system per brand. In my next comments there will be very poor attempts of mine to create Schematics for different RGB solutions.

So everyone on the forum, can quickly look up how the RGB-solution of their favorite Brand works!

CORSAIR
Corsair LL/SP/HD RGB fans have two cables/headers: One is a 4-pin connector for power, the other a RGB header.

Plug the RGB header in the Fan hub and plug the 4-pin power connector in the commander pro (up to 6x fans).
Then connect the fan hub via the LED header to the commander pro. You can also connect your Corsair LED-strips - trough the LED header - to your commander pro
Both commander pro and fan hub are SATA-powered.

Connect the commander Pro via a USB 2.0 header to the motherboard.

You can now control  your fan speed and lighting with the provided Corsair software.

corsair.png

Product list:
- Corsair LL120 Fans 3x Pack + included Fan Hub (100$)
- Corsair Commander Pro (70$)
- Corsair LED strips extention kit (30$)

NZXT

NZXT Aer fans have two cables/headers: One is a 4-pin connector for power which goes in the motherboard, the other an RGB header which goes in the HUE+.

The NZXT fans can be daisy chained with fan-to-fan-connectors using the IN and OUT headers. 

Then the last fan connects to the HUE+ with a fan-to-LED-connector into one of the 2 channels that can host up to 5 fans.
In this illustration, the 2nd channel connects to the NZXT LED Strips.
The HUE+ is molex-powered and connects via USB 2.0 to the motherboard.

If you don't want to or cannot plug your fans to the motherboard, there is an option to plug the fans into the GRID V3: it's a fan controller sold by NZXT (up to 6x fans).

Finally, you can control your fan speed & lighting and led-strips with the provided NZXT Software.

nzxtgridv3.jpg

You'll notice both USB2.0 Headers on the Mobo are taken, that's why NZXT sells an internal USB-HUB to provide further USB2.0 headers.

Product list:

- NZXT Aer 120mm RGB 3x Pack (70$)
- NZXT Hue+ (60$)
- NZXT Grid V3 (45$)
- NZXT LED strips extension kit (25$)

- NZXT USB Hub (25$)

COOLERMASTER

Coolermaster RGB fans have 2 headers: One 4pin power connector that goes into the motherboard and one that goes into the Coolermaster RGB controller

Each coolermaster fan connects via an RGB cable into the Coolermaser RGB controller. You can connect up to 4x fans in the controller, however you can increase this number by using a Splitter like shown below.

Splitters like in the illustration are to be bought seperately, however Coolermaster provides 4x RGB cables with the controller.
You can plug the Coolermaster RGB strip into the Coolermaster RGB controller with a provided RGB cable.
The RGB controller is SATA-powered.

Unfortunately, Coolermaster does not provide any sort of Fan Hub for fan control, you will have to use your Motherboard Sys_Fan headers or 3rd Party fan hubs like the thermaltake Commander FP for PWM (15$) which can accommodate up to 10x Fans. Another option would be using the NZXT Grid+ V3 so you can monitor the fans rpms trough the Cam Software.

The Coolermaster RGB controller connects to the motherboad via USB 2.0.
Finally, you can control your lighting with the downloadable Coolermaster Software.

Coolermaster.jpg

Product list:

- 3x Masterfan Airbalance RGB + included RGB controller (60$)
- Coolermaster RGB strip (25$)
- Coolermaster RGB cable splitter (15$)

- Thermaltake Commander FP for PWM (Fan Hub) (15$)
- NZXT Grid+ V3 (Fan Hub) ($49)

THERMALTAKE

Thermaltake RGB fans have 1 Header that goes into the TT Sync for RGB control.

Each Thermaltake fan connects via an RGB header into the TT Sync. You can connect up to 9x fans in the controller.
You can plug the thermaltake lumi rgb strips into the TT Sync with a provided RGB cable, you then do not need the included little RGB controller anymore.

The TT sync is SATA powered and hosts up to 9x fans
The TT Sync connects to the motherboard via USB2.0 header.

Finally, you can control your fan speed & lighting with the Thermaltake Software

image.thumb.png.f2d73a9c1d4b60f56371c316c9bf26e7.png

Product list:

- Thermaltake RGB Riing PLUS 120 3x Pack (80$)
- TT Sync (30$)
- Thermaltake Lumi Plus LED strip (45$)

ENERMAX

The Enermax TB RGB Fans have 1 cable/header: they each go in the included Fan & RGB controller (up to 8x fans). This is by far the most practical solution cable management-wise and the cheapest.

The controller connects to the motherboard via RGB header. WARNING, this will only work with motherboards with RGB Headers. In my experience, only the most recent Motherboards are equipped with those.
If you don't have RGB Header on your motherboard, you can use the Infrared Scanner Cable in order to remote-control your fans with the included remote-control.
You can connect up to 2x RGB strips to the controller via RGB Header. Adapters are included for universal compatibility. The LED-Strips in the illustration is a Phanteks RGB Strip.
The controller is Molex-powered.

Finally, you can control your Fan lighting with your motherboard software and their speed with the remote control. If you don't have your Fan Controller connected to the motherboard, you can control the lighting with the remote control.

ENERMAX.jpg

Product list:

- ENERMAX TB RGB Fan 120mm 3 in 1 + included Fan Controller & Remote control (60$)

- Phanteks LED strip (15$)

DEEPCOOL MF120

The Deepcool mf120 fans have 1 micro-usb cable/header that goes directly into the hub

The Hub has 4-Pin PWM header going into a Sys_Fan so you can control the RPMs with your motherboard.
The Hub connects to your modem per WiFi and requires you to download the Deepcool Fan & RGB control phone APP on iOS or Android.
You can also set the fans RPM on the Deepcool phone APP.
The Hub is SATA-powered

Deepcool MF120.jpg

Product list:

DEEPCOOL MF120 3in1, Smart Fans (110$)

DEEPCOOL RF120

The Deepcool RF120 fans have 2 Headers: 1x 4-pin PWM that goes into the included Fan Hub & 1x RGB header that goes in the RGB splitter.

The included Fan Hub can host up to 4 fans and the splitter up to 3 or 5 fans (technically 5 if you plug a 2nd included splitter into the "main" splitter).
There are 2 kind of splitters: One with a mini-controller and one without.

If you have an Asus motherboard with an RGB header, then you should use the splitter without the mini-controller that connects to the fans on one side and connects to the motherboard on the other side.
However, if you do not posess an Asus motherboard or if your Asus motherboard does not have an RGB header, then you need to use the RGB splitter with the mini-controller that connects to the fans on one side and connects to the PSU via SATA on the other side.

Finally, you can control the Fan speed via your motherboard software or BIOS trough a single Sys_Fan header since you're using the Fan Hub.
And you can control the RGB lighting with either Asus Aura or the mini-controller.
image.thumb.png.eed1b816e0c4b153a1f5144cee5ccada.png

Product list:

DEEPCOOL RF120 3in1 3X120mm RGB ($45)

AIGO AURORA DR12

The Aigo Aurora DR12 fans have one 6-pin header that goes into the included Fan/RGB Hub.

The hub can accommodate up to 8x Aigo Aurora DR12 fans. It can also accommodate RGB LED strips with 4-pin ports which it has 4 off.

The hub is molex-powered.

Finally, you can control the fan speed and RGB lighting with the included remote control.
image.thumb.png.71775a20e379898643589f9bb6542817.png

Product list:

- Aigo Aurora DR12 3IN1 Kit Case Fan 3-Pack RGB LED 120mm ($40)
- Phanteks RGB LED strips ($15)

ANIDEES AI AUREOLA 

The anidees AI Aureola have one proprietary 5-pin cable that goes into the included hub.
The hub can host up to 8x anidees AI Aureola fans. The hub also has 2x 3-pin LED headers, which might be for a later product such as a proprietary anidees led strip.

The hub is SATA powered.

Finally, you can control the Fan speed and RGB lighting with the included remote control.
61-m3FpdsyL._SL1000_.jpg

Product list:

- anidees AI Aureola 120 mm RGB Fan ($40)

RGB & Fan control ULTIMATE GUIDE !

26 minutes ago, HappyDog_420 said:

Hi community,

There is no unified way of syncing RGB lighting between brands. Brands all have their little system: it can be confusing and sometimes even overwhelming.

I took the initiative to start quick guides on how to setup a system per brand. In my next comments there will be very poor attempts of mine to create Schematics for different RGB solutions.

So everyone on the forum, can quickly look up how the RGB-solution of their favorite Brand works!

-supersnip-

Great write up! I only have one question/comment

Is it possible to run fans like Thermaltake, Enermax, Cooler master and Deepcool on "universal" RGB softwares like Asus Aura, MSI lighting, etc? I believe cooler master can, not sure about the other three. I know Corsair and NZXT are 100% proprietary, it might be good to note that! :) 

Edited by Crunchy Dragon

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

6 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

Great write up! I only have one question/comment

Is it possible to run fans like Thermaltake, Enermax, Cooler master and Deepcool on "universal" RGB softwares like Asus Aura, MSI lighting, etc? I believe cooler master can, not sure about the other three. I know Corsair and NZXT are 100% proprietary, it might be good to note that! :) 

Thank you very much!

I'll tell you ... I don't know.

Seriously though, I prefer using the softwares given by the fan manufacturers. I don't know about Asus Aura, RGB Fusion, etc... But I know that MSI Mystic Light is (in my experience) one of the ugliest, unintuitive and buggiest softwares I've ever tested. A Ubisoft game on release date looks like NASA technology compared to it.

A friend of mine made his Coolermaster fans work with Asus Aura, that's all I know really.
But I couldn't tell you with absolute certainty which fans are compatible with those programs and which aren't sorry.

On 5/15/2018 at 11:49 AM, HappyDog_420 said:

Thank you very much!

I'll tell you ... I don't know.

Seriously though, I prefer using the softwares given by the fan manufacturers. I don't know about Asus Aura, RGB Fusion, etc... But I know that MSI Mystic Light is (in my experience) one of the ugliest, unintuitive and buggiest softwares I've ever tested. A Ubisoft game on release date looks like NASA technology compared to it.

A friend of mine made his Coolermaster fans work with Asus Aura, that's all I know really.
But I couldn't tell you with absolute certainty which fans are compatible with those programs and which aren't sorry.

It would be good to note though, as many people like cohesion between their entire RGB ecosystems, and having just one makes it a lot easier (Asus Aura controlling GPU and Ram while Corsair controlling fans, led strips and peripherals for example. Many people would just rather use a "universal" software, and Asus seems to be leading that charge)

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

1 minute ago, TVwazhere said:

It would be good to note though, as many people like cohesion between their entire RGB ecosystems, and having just one makes it a lot easier (Asus Aura controlling GPU and Ram while Corsair controlling fans, led strips and peripherals for example. Many peoiple would jsut rather use a "universal" software, and Asus seems to be leading that charge)

I understand, it's all such a mess and Asus Aura is pretty much the only universal possibillity.
That's why in my opinion, they should go for the ENERMAX fans since the HUB syncs with the motherboard 

Great write up! Love the guide, definitely am going to save. Is there any support from a service to use Amazon's Alexa (or google's Home) to control these? I know you can use basic IFTTT programming to make them work.

5 hours ago, Ildiesalot said:

Great write up! Love the guide, definitely am going to save. Is there any support from a service to use Amazon's Alexa (or google's Home) to control these? I know you can use basic IFTTT programming to make them work.

Thanks! 

I have no idea! 

On 5/16/2018 at 6:05 PM, Beer_Nontitju said:

Thanks! 

I have no idea! 

This software apparently allows you to use Aura to control other companies' RGB products. Have yet to try it myself, but if it does work, this would be amazing!

Watercooling Pro & Keyboard Enthusiast!

9 hours ago, Tech22 said:

This software apparently allows you to use Aura to control other companies' RGB products. Have yet to try it myself, but if it does work, this would be amazing!

Did not know this existed, I'm genuinely curious to see if it works!

Do you need an Asus board on it? Most RGB fans have 2 headers, where or how do I plug in the RGB one?

Plus, Coolermaster's RGB Header (4-pin universal) and Corsair's RGB (3-pin proprietary) header aren't the same...

I wonder if I could try it out with my Corsair fans, although I have a z370 MSI board...

8 hours ago, Beer_Nontitju said:

Did not know this existed, I'm genuinely curious to see if it works!

Do you need an Asus board on it? Most RGB fans have 2 headers, where or how do I plug in the RGB one?

Plus, Coolermaster's RGB Header (4-pin universal) and Corsair's RGB (3-pin proprietary) header aren't the same...

I wonder if I could try it out with my Corsair fans, although I have a z370 MSI board...

Not sure if ASUS is needed. But I think the main intention was to be able to use the Corsair fans with other software.

Watercooling Pro & Keyboard Enthusiast!

• 3 weeks later...

So, for the corsair LL products, what exactly is the commander pro used for? I noticed the fans come with a lightning node pro to control the rgbs leads. If I plug that into my usb slot, then the pwm fan cords into my motherboard, will I be able to control them through LINK? Or do I absolutely need a commander pro?

19 minutes ago, Ildiesalot said:

So, for the corsair LL products, what exactly is the commander pro used for? I noticed the fans come with a lightning node pro to control the rgbs leads. If I plug that into my usb slot, then the pwm fan cords into my motherboard, will I be able to control them through LINK? Or do I absolutely need a commander pro?

The commander pro does the same job as the Lightning Node Pro, but it differenciates itself in the fact that it is also a fan hub.

If you use the LNP only, you'll have to use your Mobo's Fan Header but you cannot control you fans trough link

If you wanna control your fan speed trough link, you need the Commander Pro yes

1 minute ago, Beer_Nontitju said:

The commander pro does the same job as the Lightning Node Pro, but it differenciates itself in the fact that it is also a fan hub.

If you use the LNP only, you'll have to use your Mobo's Fan Header but you cannot control you fans trough link

If you wanna control your fan speed trough link, you need the Commander Pro yes

But I could control the fan speeds through another software, and the RGB LEDs through LINK still, correct?

2 minutes ago, Ildiesalot said:

But I could control the fan speeds through another software, and the RGB LEDs through LINK still, correct?

yes

• 2 months later...

I'm sorry to revive this thread but it seems the new Aigo fans, the C series, does not have anyway to connect any LED strips to its control hub.
Is there a way to transform their 6 pins connectors to a normal 4pins?

21 hours ago, Ruo94 said:

snip

I'm afraid the proprietary ecosystem does not allow this unless a bit of DIY comes into play. You can always use an RGB header on the motherboard instead, but you won't be able to synchronize the stips and the fans sadly.

• 6 months later...

Sorry for the thread necro.

In the Aigo DR12 you state correctly in the text, "It can also accommodate RGB LED strips with 4-pin ports which it has 4 off.", but then you incorrectly show 3 pin Phanteks RGB strips being connected.  

Does anyone know where to find 3 pin to 4 pin (technically still 3 pin as one is not used) adapters so that LED strips can be used with the Aigo DR12 adapter?

Secondly, since the Aigo DR12 controller uses an ARGB 5V connector just like motherboard does, could multiple adapters be daisy chained using these 4 pin LED ports as outputs to the next downstream DR12 controller?

Thanks in advance.

1 hour ago, Spektre said:

3 pin Phanteks RGB strips being connected

If you look closely, the RGB strips are 4 pin - so it should work (in theory)

3 pin to 4 pin (...) can be used with the Aigo DR12 adapter?

Could not tell you

Aigo DR12 controller uses an ARGB 5V connector just like motherboard does, could multiple adapters be daisy chained using these 4 pin LED ports as outputs to the next downstream DR12 controller

I personally doubt it since it's molex-powered. But you could give it a try

Good luck!

38 minutes ago, Beer_Nontitju said:

If you look closely, the RGB strips are 4 pin - so it should work (in theory)

Could not tell you

I personally doubt it since it's molex-powered. But you could give it a try

Good luck!

So it is!  Unfortunately that is not the connector the Aigo DC12's are shipping with on their controllers these days.

I'm curious, why would it being molex powered prevent daisy chaining?

Thanks for the quick reply.

• 6 months later...

Hi guys,

it is possible to synchronize the RGB fans from Aigo (DR12) with the NZXT H510i case/Hue2?

Thanks you,

KR,

Nesh

6 hours ago, Nesh said:

Hi guys,

it is possible to synchronize the RGB fans from Aigo (DR12) with the NZXT H510i case/Hue2?

Thanks you,

KR,

Nesh

No, because they're not from the same ecosystem and they're not compatible with Asus Aura, MSI Mysticlight, etc . Aigo fans uses hardware based control as opposed to NZXT with the CAM software

• 1 month later...

Great guide thanks! I have a question I would like to go with the Enermax route with Asus motherboard but they only seem to have one addressable RGB header. Any way to split it? I would like to connect my deepcool 360 castle RGB V2 and the enermax TD RGB A.D. How would I go by that?

1 minute ago, DeathTrigger said:

Great guide thanks! I have a question I would like to go with the Enermax route with Asus motherboard but they only seem to have one addressable RGB header. Any way to split it? I would like to connect my deepcool 360 castle RGB V2 and the enermax TD RGB A.D. How would I go by that?

The Enermax Ecosystem uses a propietary header, this means you cannot connect Enermax with a motherboard. If you want that Asus AURA synchronization going on, I suggest you go with the deepcool RF-series instead.

If you intend to mix the 2 ecosystems (enermax & AURA/deepcool), it still possible to make it look harmonious but it takes a lot of tinkering. Good luck!

2 minutes ago, Beer_Nontitju said:

The Enermax Ecosystem uses a propietary header, this means you cannot connect Enermax with a motherboard. If you want that Asus AURA synchronization going on, I suggest you go with the deepcool RF-series instead.

If you intend to mix the 2 ecosystems (enermax & AURA/deepcool), it still possible to make it look harmonious but it takes a lot of tinkering. Good luck!

Thanks! Yeah I was talking about their new http://www.enermax.com/home.php?fn=eng/product_a1_1_1&lv0=4&lv1=121&no=481 which seems to connect directly to a ARGB header. If yeah could I split the header?