ASUS Killing AREZ brand? ROG is Back? *UPDATED ARTICLE*

** this post has been edited. To see the original, a post has been made below.

*** at the time of writing this editorial, no news publisher reported on this. So I wrote an article myself, here you go...

GPP, also known as Geforce Partner Program, was a “voluntary” program by nVidia that promises to help gamers make the right purpose when buying a graphics card. On nVidia’s blog post it states:

The GeForce Partner Program is designed to ensure that gamers have full transparency into the GPU platform and software they’re being sold and can confidently select products that carry the NVIDIA GeForce promise.

However, Kyle Bennett, from HardOCP, wrote an article on the Geforce Partner Program, stating how it impacts consumer choice. In his editorial, he states:

I think it [GPP] is going to greatly, and negatively, impact consumer choice in the AIB and OEM computer market. Consumer choice is going to be decimated. Looking at the program guidelines, I truly think that is what will happen and is where my concern lies.

This was talked about in the press, and later in the article, Kyle conducts an interview with several AIB and OEM partners, and they have developed a similar consensus:

1.) They think that it has terms that are likely illegal. 2.) GPP is likely going to tremendously hurt consumers' choices. 3.) It will disrupt business with the companies that they are currently doing business with, namely AMD and Intel.

The quote above were just statements on an editorial, and even though Kyle has a reputation in the industry, these statements could be taken with a grain of salt. However, most of the press have chosen to accept these statements as true. On nVidia’s blogpost, they state it is voluntary, however at the time cryptocurrency was a big hit (it still sort-of is) and GPU supply was weakened. So, if an AIB partner didn’t sign up for the Geforce Partner Program, they wouldn’t be treated by nVidia as well as a brand who did sign up for GPP. If a new run of GPUs came off the process node, the AIB’s and OEM’s that have GPP would be favored and would probably have more share than those who didn’t sign up, therefore threatening their businesses overall which really affect manufactures who rely on GPU sales primarily.

GPP affects AIB’s and OEM’s by forcing them to separate the branding that these manufactures like to use on their products. Say for example Gigabyte, they use Gaming X as their branding for both nVidia and AMD cards. With GPP, now they must remove the Gaming X brand with the AMD cards. This makes it so when a buyer types in Gaming X because he/she knows that is the high end for Gigabyte, that user will only see nVidia cards now.

Now, nVidia had pulled the plug on GPP, in their blogpost stating:

A lot has been said recently about our GeForce Partner Program. The rumors, conjecture and mistruths go far beyond its intent. Rather than battling misinformation, we have decided to cancel the program.

So, this is good right? Not so much. In the time GPP was active, Gigabyte was ripping the Gaming X brand off AMD cards, which is an easy fix, just put the Gaming X back on. However, for ASUS, they planned to launch a new brand called AREZ for their AMD products. Now that GPP is over, ASUS must decide to keep the AREZ brand or just use the ROG brand. Since ASUS already spent time and effort to market the new brand AREZ, and they already began removing ROG branded AMD graphics cards in place for AREZ, they have to choose to keep the branding, put back the ROG branding, or use both. I speculated that they would use both, where the AREZ branded cards would be the budget-oriented cards and the ROG branded cards would be the Premium cards.

It turns out, ASUS as it appears, has opted for the ROG branding only. In their twitter post recently, they stated:

Start your week off with an amazing deal! Purchase any #ROG #Radeon RX Vega #GPU and get #FarCry5 Free!

This looks great on the outside, however that has significantly impacted ASUS internally. This has now wasted the time and money that ASUS spent on marketing the new AREZ brand, stopping production of the newly branded cards, and restarting production with the old ROG branding, and now, ASUS has to figure out what to do with the AREZ branded cards. So far it looks like they aren’t selling any AREZ branded on the retail stores such as Amazon, NCIX, Newegg, Microcenter, Fry’s, and Memory Express, ( off topic side note: Memory Express doesn’t even have a mobile site. What!) are gone, so it’s up for debate on what they will do with the AREZ branded cards, let alone the money wasted on the brand.  ASUS has to deal with all this, all because nVidia wanted to get a little more market share, which they definitely needed. Overall, ASUS and Gigabyte have now effectively a way harder job on their hands thanks to the amazing Geforce Partner Program, brought to us by nVidia.

I wonder what's happening to any arez branded cards they already produced

Fanboys are the worst thing to happen to the tech community World. Chief among them are Apple fanboys. 

kinda nice for amd to "keep" that branding or still being part of it.

On the other hand I was kinda looking forward to seeing new "brands" and designs :/ 

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

1 hour ago, Nicnac said:

kinda nice for amd to "keep" that branding or still being part of it.

On the other hand I was kinda looking forward to seeing new "brands" and designs :/ 

you presume they would have changed their design?

Bethesda PC:   R7 3700X  -  Asrock B550 Extreme 4  -  Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 16GB@3.6GHz -  Zotac AMP Extreme 1080TI -  Samsung 860 Evo 256GB  -  WD Blue 2TB SSD -  500DX  -  Stock cooling lul  -  Rm650x

CrumpleBox V3:  Xeon X5680  -  Asus X58 Sabertooth  -  DDr3 16GB@1.33Ghz  -  Gigabyte 1660s -  TT smart RGB 700W  -  

Cooler Master Storm Trooper  -  120GB Samsung 850 Pro   -  LTT Edition Chromax NH-D15 ?

CrumpleBox 3 ROTF: I5-6400  -  MSI B150m Mortar  -  16GB 2133Mhz Vengeance Pro RGB  -  Strix 1070Ti - GTX 1070 FE  -  Adata 128GB SSD  -  Fractal Design Define C  -  Gammaxx 400V2  -  Cooler Master silent pro gold 1000W

CrumpleBox 2: i7-7820x - MSI X299 Raider - 32GB Thermaltake Toughram 3.6Ghz - 2x Sapphire Nitro Fury - 128GB PCie Adata SSD - O11 Dynamic - EVGA CLC 360 - Corsair RM1000X

Perhiperals:  Gateway 900p60 monitor  -  Dell 1024x768@75  -  Logi. G403 Carbon  -  Logi. G502  -  SteSer. Arctis 5  -  SteSer. Rival 110 - Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2

Just now, Grockle88 said:

you presume they would have changed their design?

yea u right

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

7 minutes ago, Ginger_ said:

They'll probably just slap the ROG logo on them instead of the AREZ one - I would assume the heatsink designs are the same, and even if they went out of their way to design a different one they could just keep producing that, after all they are different cards and it would make sense for the heatsink to be different.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

20 minutes ago, Sauron said:

They'll probably just slap the ROG logo on them instead of the AREZ one - I would assume the heatsink designs are the same, and even if they went out of their way to design a different one they could just keep producing that, after all they are different cards and it would make sense for the heatsink to be different.

You're right, AFAIK the AREZ ones were exactly the same, the only difference was the branding and a bit different shades of grey on the heatsink

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

Personally speaking I find silly a company with multiple brands of the same thing.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

I actually thought AREZ would stay or potentially make it a certain high end line. But oh well, whatever the name is in the end, a long as it's top quality card all good. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

18 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

Limited edition run Collectors Edition?

That's what I was thinking. And get scalped on ebay 

Fanboys are the worst thing to happen to the tech community World. Chief among them are Apple fanboys. 

3 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Glad to see the damage undone, albeit at the cost to the AIB

It wouldn't make sense to keep AREZ anyway, as maintaining multiple brands incurs significant running costs.

At the very least the AIBs will be "once bitten, twice shy" and not allow themselves to be bullied by Ngreedia again

Also @jooroth18 please don't use short links. Not knowing where a link will take me is super not cool man...

Yeah, but the links were ridiculously long, and I didnt want to impede on people reading the article. I'll figure out a way around it

3 hours ago, Ginger_ said:

It would be cool to have one. I mean it would be rare and be represent a little piece of history. 

58 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

<removed>

My phone lags like crazy on complicated websites like this one. Atleast you are informed with the current situation of GPP. I dont think anyone else would report on this, as this tweet has been out for a while...

4 hours ago, Princess Cadence said:

Personally speaking I find silly a company with multiple brands of the same thing.

Exactly, why do they need a "Hero" and "Extreme" brand? I mean Crosshair and Strix. That is, ROG and TUF.

You know, I don't actually know why you are complaining, "Asus ROG Crosshair VI Hero" seems like a perfectly simple brand to me :P 

Pretty much proving what Nvidia was doing with the GPP.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Now I want Arez branded stuff just for that rarity factor :P 

Use this guide to fix text problems in your postGo here and here for all your power supply needs

New Build Currently Under Construction! See here!!!! -----> 

Spoiler

Deathwatch:[CPU I7 4790K @ 4.5GHz][RAM TEAM VULCAN 16 GB 1600][MB ASRock Z97 Anniversary][GPU XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB][STORAGE 250GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD Samsung 2TB HDD 2TB WD External Drive][COOLER Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo][PSU Cooler Master 650M][Case Thermaltake Core V31]

Spoiler

Cupid:[CPU Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz][RAM 3 GB DDR2][750GB Samsung 2.5" HDD/HDD Seagate 80GB SATA/Samsung 80GB IDE/WD 325GB IDE][MB Acer M1641][CASE Antec][[PSU Altec 425 Watt][GPU Radeon HD 4890 1GB][TP-Link 54MBps Wireless Card]

Spoiler

Carlile: [CPU 2x Pentium 3 1.4GHz][MB ASUS TR-DLS][RAM 2x 512MB DDR ECC Registered][GPU Nvidia TNT2 Pro][PSU Enermax][HDD 1 IDE 160GB, 4 SCSI 70GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 3]

Spoiler

Zeonnight [CPU AMD Athlon x2 4400][GPU Sapphire Radeon 4650 1GB][RAM 2GB DDR2]

Spoiler

Server [CPU 2x Xeon L5630][PSU Dell Poweredge 850w][HDD 1 SATA 160GB, 3 SAS 146GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 6i]

Spoiler

Kero [CPU Pentium 1 133Mhz] [GPU Cirrus Logic LCD 1MB Graphics Controller] [Ram 48MB ][HDD 1.4GB Hitachi IDE]

Spoiler

Mining Rig: [CPU Athlon 64 X2 4400+][GPUS 9 RX 560s, 2 RX 570][HDD 160GB something][RAM 8GBs DDR3][PSUs 1 Thermaltake 700w, 2 Delta 900w 120v Server modded]

RAINBOWS!!!

QUOTE ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLYS!!!!

8 hours ago, Ginger_ said:

Collectible that some YouTuber will make a video on 10 years from now

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

And here I thought GPP had nothing to do with vendors suddenly scrapping ALL AMD cards from their primary gaming brands (that the news said it would). So how can that be? Are you telling me the GPP actually usurped the branding from the vendors against the vendors wishes? But many forum users in here said that was not the case, and utter impossible. Are you telling me they are wrong? SHOCK /s.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

36 minutes ago, Notional said:

And here I thought GPP had nothing to do with vendors suddenly scrapping ALL AMD cards from their primary gaming brands (that the news said it would). So how can that be? Are you telling me the GPP actually usurped the branding from the vendors against the vendors wishes? But many forum users in here said that was not the case, and utter impossible. Are you telling me they are wrong? SHOCK /s.

Anyone who wasn't blind could see that the GPP was having a negative impact.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Posts from here on should coordinate with the updated post.

For archival reasons, here is the original post:

It appears after the revocation of the Republic of Gamers branding that coincided with all of ASUS's premium gaming products  on AMD GPU's, it appears that ASUS has chosen to stick with the old ROG branding. AREZ was originally intended to be a new brand for ASUS after nVidia, a compeditor to  AMD and their GPU's, unveiled a new program called GPP. Standing for Geforce Partner Program, this new "volentary" program was intended according to nVidia to "help gamers know what they are buying when shopping for Graphics Cards." Kyle from HardOCP, a reputible publisher, has uncovered the true hidden details in the contract not stated in nVidia's blog post. This was part speculation, but started to become true when asus unveiled the AREZ branding for AMD GPU's. Since all the public backlash for this potentially illegal contract, nVidia decided to kill the Geforce Partner Program, stating that "it was all because the media/press spread misleading information." ASUS has now already created the AREZ brand, so it was up to ASUS's decision weather to keep the brand or to get rid of it. As per my speculation, I suggested that ASUS use the AREZ brand for more budget products, since they already spent the marketing efforts to bring the brand out, but it looks like asus plans to get rid of it, as ASUS recently posted a marketing AD on twitter mentioning their ROG Radeon RX Vega cards. ( https://twitter.com/ASUSUSA/status/996179635158339586?s=09 ). Also on Amazon, all the AREZ branded cards are gone and there are no other cards branded AREZ. ( https://goo.gl/xQZxP4 ). This also repeats on other retail stores as well: NCI... err.... Newegg ( https://goo.gl/LXoRkN ), Fry's ( https://goo.gl/jhkDPE ), Memory Express ( https://goo.gl/u7aJ7t ) (off topic note: Memory Express dosent even have a mobile site...), Microcenter: ( https://goo.gl/5oaTJ7 ). All of the listed sites no longer have AREZ branded cards, and it appears that ASUS will be scraping the brand, even though they spent money on marketing and rebranding the products. This does have a negitive effect on ASUS as they now effectively spent money on nothing and now have to recoup that cost wasted.

14 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

probably only fan shrouds or, at the very least, stickers ._.

Be funny if there are a few cards out in the wild double stickered on the fans, take off the ROG and find an Arez one lol.

AREZ...

Spoiler

385167208319418388.png?v=1

ARES...

Spoiler

394200531905675274.png?v=1

P_setting_fff_1_90_end_500.png

Oh yeah look, branding ASUS used in the past for AMD before GPP ever existed.