AMD TR 2000 series going to be released this year already

Nicnac

WCCFtech-AMD-Ryzen-Threadripper-2000-pre

Just a tiny bit of info from AMD as to when (or if!) to expect a TR refresh.

This is said to be a TR 2000 series so obviously not zen2 yet (makes sense...) but probably some slight improvements here and there similar to how the Ryzen 2000 chips improved.

I could quote the AMD announcement but here goes everyone's favourite salty site wccftech ^^

Ryzen Threadripper 2000 Series To Be Released Later This Year

Those looking to pick one up soon may be waiting for a while since while it IS being sampled to partners now it isn’t ready for prime time and we should expect a Q3 launch just in time for its 1 year anniversary continuing the year to year refresh cycle. Clock speeds or any other information was not announced which is probably due to the SKUs not being finalized. In other news AMD also talked about its Ryzen Pro 2000 announcement in a press release earlier today.

No info on pricing yet but, again probably only slightly more expensive than current gen during launch.

Oh, they also announced 2000series APUs for Enterprise but yea, not That interesting..

So, we know pretty well what to expect, given TR is simply put a scaled-up Ryzen chip (pls don't kill me! xD)

Still nice seeing such a timely refresh of the TR line!

Source: wccftech

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

Not surprised that it's coming this year, but too bad it' will compete with i9s in heat output as well.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

did you know that spongebob SP owns a threadripper?

Bethesda PC:   R7 3700X  -  Asrock B550 Extreme 4  -  Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 16GB@3.6GHz -  Zotac AMP Extreme 1080TI -  Samsung 860 Evo 256GB  -  WD Blue 2TB SSD -  500DX  -  Stock cooling lul  -  Rm650x

CrumpleBox V3:  Xeon X5680  -  Asus X58 Sabertooth  -  DDr3 16GB@1.33Ghz  -  Gigabyte 1660s -  TT smart RGB 700W  -  

Cooler Master Storm Trooper  -  120GB Samsung 850 Pro   -  LTT Edition Chromax NH-D15 ?

CrumpleBox 3 ROTF: I5-6400  -  MSI B150m Mortar  -  16GB 2133Mhz Vengeance Pro RGB  -  Strix 1070Ti - GTX 1070 FE  -  Adata 128GB SSD  -  Fractal Design Define C  -  Gammaxx 400V2  -  Cooler Master silent pro gold 1000W

CrumpleBox 2: i7-7820x - MSI X299 Raider - 32GB Thermaltake Toughram 3.6Ghz - 2x Sapphire Nitro Fury - 128GB PCie Adata SSD - O11 Dynamic - EVGA CLC 360 - Corsair RM1000X

Perhiperals:  Gateway 900p60 monitor  -  Dell 1024x768@75  -  Logi. G403 Carbon  -  Logi. G502  -  SteSer. Arctis 5  -  SteSer. Rival 110 - Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2

This is news? I thought we already knew this.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

It has been on the road map for a while that Threadripper 2 is coming 2H 2018, and we might see Epyc zen2 as early as Q4 2018.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

8 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

Not surprised that it's coming this year, but too bad it' will compete with i9s in heat output as well.

Price is the only thing that matters imo. I think TR buyers are a very specific target group: either video editors or enthusiasts who know exactly what they are getting. And on the video front TR still dominates so I think this is probably the best high-end part AMD made in quite a while, though it might not be that relevant sales-wise.

Sure, the 9i is the best of the best if you want to do all the things and at once but TR just offers SO much value :) 

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

1 minute ago, The Benjamins said:

It has been on the road map for a while that Threadripper 2 is coming 2H 2018, and we might see Epyc zen2 as early as Q4 2018.

Zen 2?!? We are currently at Zen + with the current gen of ryzen CPUs. I doubt they will have allready sent out epycs at 7nm by 4th Q

I'm hoping they dump the lower end 8core TR and just add a 32 Core then shuffle every other SKU down.
I doubt it will perform vastly different to whats on offer now, the usual 5%-15% perf increase in various benchmarks and games.

CORSAIR RIPPER: AMD 3970X - 3080TI & 2080TI - 64GB Ram - 2.5TB NVME SSD's - 35" G-Sync 120hz 1440P
MFB (Mining/Folding/Boinc): AMD 1600 - 3080 & 1080Ti - 16GB Ram - 240GB SSD
Dell OPTIPLEX:  Intel i5 6500 - 8GB Ram - 256GB SSD

PC & CONSOLE GAMER

1 minute ago, Antistatic12 said:

I'm hoping they dump the lower end 8core TR and just add a 32 Core then shuffle every other SKU down.

32core threadripper might be a thing. Thing to note however is that there might powerdelivery limitations that might hinder higher core counts. 

One thing to expect above 16 core threadrippers are a very high premium for these, they will also be far as nicely binned as EPYC. They will have to seperate their server skues well. 

10 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Zen 2?!? We are currently at Zen + with the current gen of ryzen CPUs. I doubt they will have allready sent out epycs at 7nm by 4th Q

Epyc with zen2 is sampling, it has been sampling before vega 7nm.

I can see a announcement late this year, or early next year with small shipments of Epyc zen2.

AMD Q1 2018 Earnings Call

David Wong – Wells Fargo
“Could you give us an update on what new products you plan to launch through the rest of this year and next year? And when these are scheduled to come out?”

AMD President & CEO Dr. Lisa Su
“We are launching additional Ryzen based products in the second half of the year. We just launched the second generation Ryzen desktop in 12nm and that launch has gone really well. I mean, we’re very happy with the positioning and how customers are reacting to that. In the second half we’ll have some commercial systems and some other updates to our Ryzen lineup that we will launch.

We have 7nm GPU based on Vega that we’ll sample later this year. We have a 7nm server CPU that we’ll sample later this year. And then, obviously, we have a number of products that are planned for 2019 as well. So it’s a very, very busy product season for us. But we’re pleased with the sort of the execution on the product roadmap.”

8 minutes ago, Antistatic12 said:

They will never make a TR on zen or zen+ that is 32c, they will not have 2 dies with not direct memory attached. who would want 16 of their cores with 10x slower latency?

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

6 minutes ago, Antistatic12 said:

I'm hoping they dump the lower end 8core TR

The 8 core TR cpus served a purpose as PCIe CPUs for people who didnt need the extra cores, but they needed extra lanes. It also slides more people into the TR4 plattform. I think they should keep the CPU

3 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

32core threadripper might be a thing. Thing to note however is that there might powerdelivery limitations that might hinder higher core counts. 

One thing to expect above 16 core threadrippers are a very high premium for these, they will also be far as nicely binned as EPYC. They will have to seperate their server skues well. 

You might be right about power delivery, but I bet Linus's sock and sandals that even if AMD made a 32core TR it would still be cheaper than a 7980XE.

CORSAIR RIPPER: AMD 3970X - 3080TI & 2080TI - 64GB Ram - 2.5TB NVME SSD's - 35" G-Sync 120hz 1440P
MFB (Mining/Folding/Boinc): AMD 1600 - 3080 & 1080Ti - 16GB Ram - 240GB SSD
Dell OPTIPLEX:  Intel i5 6500 - 8GB Ram - 256GB SSD

PC & CONSOLE GAMER

1 minute ago, GoldenLag said:

The 8 core TR cpus served a purpose as PCIe CPUs for people who didnt need the extra cores, but they needed extra lanes. It also slides more people into the TR4 plattform. I think they should keep the CPU

At least they have 8 core and not just 4 cords. /X299 shade

5 minutes ago, Antistatic12 said:

You might be right about power delivery, but I bet Linus's sock and sandals that even if AMD made a 32core TR it would still be cheaper than a 7980XE.

I would expect a 2500 dollar pricetag if it arrives and dedicated expencive TR4+ boards to accomadate the extra PCIe lanes and cores. They might splitt TR4 intl two skues where one is cheaper with up 16 cores and one more expencive with extra lanes and cores up to 32

I want to see the Precision Boost 2 on the 16-core TR Zen+.

Considering how well the 8-core 2700X can boost on all cores, I would expect a very significant all core boost on the TR part as well, that may give it a big lead over the i9 before OC.

i hope it will be backwards compatible with X399 boards, even tho it might compromise some things

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Mention me if you want to summon me sooner or later

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Note 10, S10, Samsung becomes Apple, Zen 2, 3700X, Renegade X lol

1 minute ago, Ordinarily_Greater said:

i hope it will be backwards compatible with X399 boards, even tho it might compromise some things

I think they are doing the same thing they are doing AM4. Think of them as two parallel traines. I think the compromises will be the same as the 300 series vs 400 series, however there will be less difference in quality of the voards due to the X399 boards allready being premium workstation

Just now, GoldenLag said:

I think they are doing the same thing they are doing AM4. Think of them as two parallel traines. I think the compromises will be the same as the 300 series vs 400 series, however there will be less difference in quality of the voards due to the X399 boards allready being premium workstation

We're not sure if they're even releasing an updated Chipset. Though maybe something like X399v2.

yea, maybe just storeMI support on the new chipset

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

1 minute ago, Taf the Ghost said:

We're not sure if they're even releasing an updated Chipset. Though maybe something like X399v2.

That moght actually be the case. However i think board partners want to put a new board. Therefore a X399v2 is not a bad idea.

3 minutes ago, Ordinarily_Greater said:

yea, maybe just storeMI support on the new chipset

Dont forget precision boost 2 support

6 minutes ago, WereCat said:

I want to see the Precision Boost 2 on the 16-core TR Zen+.

Considering how well the 8-core 2700X can boost on all cores, I would expect a very significant all core boost on the TR part as well, that may give it a big lead over the i9 before OC.

However that came at a noticeable increase in power consumption hence the increased TDP of 105W. For TR this would push up the power consumption to the Core i9 range and with Eypv only having a TDP of 180W with twice as many cores one may wonder how far the platform can be pushed given backwards compatibility is highly likely.

31 minutes ago, Antistatic12 said:

They may not have another option but to price it near the Epyc SKUs as otherwise they would risk cannibalizing sales from the very lucrative server market (If you think the i9s are overpriced look at high end Xeons - enterprises are prepared to pay that sort of money).

That moght actually be the case. However i think board partners want to put a new board. Therefore a X399v2 is not a bad idea.

That German link had "X399 Refresh", so they'll be doing something. We'll find out in a few months. They might just tighten up the requirements more than roll out new silicon for the chipset. (Not that AMD chipsets really do all that much.)

53 minutes ago, Nicnac said:

Price is the only thing that matters imo. I think TR buyers are a very specific target group: either video editors or enthusiasts who know exactly what they are getting. And on the video front TR still dominates so I think this is probably the best high-end part AMD made in quite a while, though it might not be that relevant sales-wise.

Sure, the 9i is the best of the best if you want to do all the things and at once but TR just offers SO much value :) 

We could still say don't bring logic and value to a measuring contest though ;).

3 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

and maybe improved compatibility on their NVMe RAID!

also the XFR 2

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :