First Cars

Sfeta3

my first car was an 02 Ford KA, I got it for £450 lasted me 6 months before the suspension shot, and I scrapped it as the cost of repairing was more than the car was worth, I then got a 06 Vauxhall Corsa SXI for £650 suspension shot after 6 months... again... replaced that and all 4 tyres for around £200 and got a new battery for around £60, now its running like a dream and haven't really gotta worry about it,
The best advice I can give is get a cheap car as your first and run it to the ground, overall in my first year of driving I spent approx £1400 on cars, and about the samne on insurance (here in the UK insurance is hella expensive unless you drive a death trap, "you cant claim if you die from a small crash" ay ;) ) 

21 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

accidents

its actually skill to drive

but the other drivers are absolute shit

I do 5 under in the left lane for fun

gotta make things happen

1 minute ago, Canada EH said:

its actually skill to drive

Driving takes skill, yes. But you cannot change the laws of physics. If, during summer, your tires can achieve x performance on a dry road, drivers may expect the same performance during the winter on a dry road. Very few people seem to know that the rubber compound inside All-Season tires becomes significantly less effective during temperatures below 7C/45F, even on a perfectly sunny, perfectly dry day, with perfect road conditions.

It's a false sense of security.

1 minute ago, Canada EH said:

but the other drivers are absolute shit

gotta make things happen

You know that in most places, doing that is illegal and a cop is likely to pull you over?

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

My first car was a 2015 Chevrolet Cruze. I bought it last year in September and the car had 15,550KM’s on it. After some tough negotiations and a $5,000 down payment from my father, I drove it off the lot.

The best suggestions I can make is that if you get a vehicle, always invest in Winter Tires if you have cold climates where snow is possible.

If you don’t drive that often, don’t worry about the sticker that says you have to change your oil every x amount of KM or x months. It’s a load of bollocks. Usually 5k KM for conventional and 8-10k for synthetic is in the ballpark.

Also factor in insurance and maintenance repairs. It’s always important to make sure you look at those too. I can’t think of anything else but budget yourself before you go car shopping and buy used if it’s your first car.

"The only thing that matters right now is that you're here, and you're safe."

On 5/16/2018 at 8:23 PM, dalekphalm said:

Let's be clear, everyone is lucky that they don't get into accidents. Yes, skill most definitely mitigates the risk, and being cautious, but things can happen that you can't plan for - a deer jumps out, an old man trips off the sidewalk, another driver doesn't look and crashes into you, etc.

All I'm saying is that by driving in 45F or lower conditions with all-season tires, you are at a measurable disadvantage. You are in more danger, even if you can mitigate that danger by, say, driving very defensively, staying very far back from other traffic, driving below the speed limit, etc.

You can justify it by saying you've never had an accident, but that's not the point. As long as you acknowledge that all-season tires are more dangerous in cold conditions (regardless of the presence of snow), then I guess there's nothing more to discuss about it. It just annoys me when people drive using all-seasons thinking they're just as effective as the summertime simply because there's no snow on the ground.

I'm sure it's an expression that explains a different thought, I do believe most people realize that winter tires are better in most bad weather.

The argument is that due to good cleanup crews, the element you are now fighting is just salt, in which case you'll be """"just as effective""""" (or better put, "just as well") with all season tires, which is to say that the difference between them in the current situation (with snow on the sides of roads, and salt and water on the actual road) is now low enough to not justify the extra expense

Shipping sucks

1 hour ago, GSTARR said:

I'm sure it's an expression that explains a different thought, I do believe most people realize that winter tires are better in most bad weather.

The argument is that due to good cleanup crews, the element you are now fighting is just salt, in which case you'll be """"just as effective""""" (or better put, "just as well") with all season tires, which is to say that the difference between them in the current situation (with snow on the sides of roads, and salt and water on the actual road) is now low enough to not justify the extra expense

I’m not sure if you understand what I’m getting at. 

Let’s compare some scenarios:

1: summer temps (above 45F) - dry conditions 

All season tires at most effectiveness. 

2: winter temps (below 45F) - dry conditions (no salt, no rain, no ice, no slush, no snow - just dry pavement)

All season tires at reduced effectiveness. They will *not* work as well as scenario 1. 

3: winter temps (below 45F) - dry conditions. 

Winter tires at near scenario 1 effectiveness. Superior effectiveness compared to scenario 2. 

So, no. You will not be “just as well” with all season tires. Under 45F, there are no scenarios where all seasons are just as good as Winter Tires. 

You may think they aren’t worth the cost, but you *are* unquestionably putting yourself (and every driver around you) in higher danger every time to drive during below 45F conditions with all season tires. 

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

On 5/17/2018 at 4:06 PM, Canada EH said:

I guess you consider having your head become one with a 6.7 to 8.9 liter hunk of metal fun as well.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

On 5/18/2018 at 5:05 PM, Drak3 said:

I guess you consider having your head become one with a 6.7 to 8.9 liter hunk of metal fun as well.

The law is the law!

20 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

The law is the law!

And you're the one breaking it. Going too slow is also illegal.

Most civilized countries, the center lanes (meaning the left lane for us North Americaners) are explicitly for passing when on highways with more than two lanes heading one direction, it's illegal to drive below the speed limit in passing lanes. It's often illegal to not be passing if you're in the passing lane, with some exceptions (rush hour, iced roads, wet roads). And above all else, impeding the flow of traffic is illegal.

If everyone else were doing 20 over, and you're going 60 in the passing lane of a highway with a posted limit of 65, you're the only one getting a ticket. A well deserved ticket.

And it's also rather common for speed limits to be soft limits. It's completely legal to be going 69-70 in a 65 in the US, so long as you're not more than 5MPH over.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

1 hour ago, Drak3 said:

you're the one breaking it

says no one but You

Just now, Canada EH said:

says no one but You

No, you'd get a $100 ticket within a few days here, explicitly for that.

Which is hella funny, speeding tickets are only $90.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.