DIY WiFi Cam Tutorial

jakkuh_t

Is there any way to run have these cameras run off ethernet rather than wifi?

Thanks

On 2/11/2019 at 5:38 PM, TekTaxi said:

Thanks

just wire the ras pi with ethernet instead of connecting with wifi? seems pretty simple. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, If I want to do port forwarding to get my Pi to be accessible outside of my network, how would i do this.  This is my first raspi project and I am a total noob.

1 hour ago, Mobabasa said:

Hi, If I want to do port forwarding to get my Pi to be accessible outside of my network, how would i do this.  This is my first raspi project and I am a total noob.

ou would need to check your router settings to check/apply port forwarding. also check with your isp if this is even supported. 

• 1 month later...

I need some help. 

I flashed montioneyeos-rasberrypi-20199119 onto my pi zero w and the only configurable setting I see are Fit Frames Vertically, Frame Rate Dimmer, and Resolution Dimmer. I can't adjust anything else or set a frame rate. 

FIX: on the login screen, login username should be admin and no password as default

I have noticed that I can't keep the camera running for longer than a few minutes before it fails and nothing helps to get the camera working until I reflash. Reboot doesn't fix it either. Any reasons for this? I run at 720p at 10 fps. 

FIX: on the module that is running the camera, I turned on connectivity watch under expert settings and it solved the problem. 

On 2/28/2019 at 4:22 PM, Mobabasa said:

You can enable port forwarding within your router settings, you will need assess to the router and its username and password. After you enabled port forwarding go to google and type "What is my ip." Take that ip address into the browser followed by ":8081" by default it is 8081 that you are port forwarding. 

On 2/11/2019 at 3:38 PM, TekTaxi said:

Thanks

If you want to run over ethernet, you will need the Pi3 I believe. It has a connection for Cat5. Or get a USB Ethernet adapter. 

3 hours ago, hotbrass said:

Or get a USB Ethernet adapter

dont you just tell the OS which adapter to use? I havent used it so idk.

I decided to port forward and viewed my security camera on my phone using my 4G. In a matter of minutes, I capped my data and saw a huge spike of 1 gig usage in a matter of minutes while streaming the camera. Is there any way to bring streaming usage down aside from using less resolution or fps?

3 hours ago, oo0oo0oo0oo7 said:

I decided to port forward and viewed my security camera on my phone using my 4G. In a matter of minutes, I capped my data and saw a huge spike of 1 gig usage in a matter of minutes while streaming the camera. Is there any way to bring streaming usage down aside from using less resolution or fps?

probably some sort of compression. check the settings and just look through network stuff.

Does the google drive setup automatically delete old footage as it gets closer to maxing out in storage or hit a certain number of files/gb? Or does this have to be done manually. Is there a way to setup uploads for every minute or twice a minute?

17 hours ago, jefferysan said:

Does the google drive setup automatically delete old footage as it gets closer to maxing out in storage or hit a certain number of files/gb? Or does this have to be done manually. Is there a way to setup uploads for every minute or twice a minute?

i think with gDrive, it just wont let you upload anything once you cap. old clips will stay. 

not sure how to make it work. 

On 4/12/2019 at 9:07 PM, Saksham said:

i think with gDrive, it just wont let you upload anything once you cap. old clips will stay. 

not sure how to make it work. 

Thanks for the quick reply :) I've actually found a work-around for this using Google App Scripts, which would delete files after N number of days. But i do want to know how often uploads can occur. With Nest, while it is costly, it will upload continuously so that you can see everything that happens up to the point that it gets disconnect (ie. camera system gets stolen). So if MotionEyeOS only uploads every few minutes, you may not get the footage you need in the event that the camera gets stolen.

• 4 weeks later...

Can I get motioneyeos to work with wyzecam running openipc firmware?

Hey, does anyone know how to use a desktop computer as a base server? I know it's possible I'm just not sure how to execute it.

• 3 weeks later...

i dont know if anyone has asked this

but i saw you can use a webcam instead of the ribbon camera

is it possible to use two web cams on the same pi ?

I came across this because I wanted to have a way to combine my 4 cams into one hub. I thought using motioneyeos on my Raspberry Pi Zeros and Model B (generation 1) would be the logical step as well, so I did install a small test setup with three Zeros and motioneyeos connected to a docker container running motioneyeos in a vm.

To be perfectly honest motioneye runs like crap on the Pi. (Zero & Model B gen 1) I was getting ~15 fps at 720p. Way worse than what I had with my previous setup!

Apparently that's because a camera's streaming output is always piped through the motion daemon, which involves some processing. I don't want that, because that's what the server is for!

I recommend setting up a motioneye server with docker on a x86 machine (or the less powerful variant: on a RPi3) and using RPi-Cam-Web-Interface for each pi (that's what I was using before on my camPis). It's not as straight forward (you have to install a minimal raspian yourself) but it will yield >720p 30fps streaming ability to your motioneye server after you enabled MJPEG streaming on each Pi's webinterface.

I have tested up to 8 Pis on a 6 core, 8GB test vm and it works perfectly. Each Pi is transmitting fullframe raspi cam gen 1 videos at 1296x972@30fps to the server.

(That's the maximum I can go without cutting the pic on the top/bottom due to raspi cam gen 1 boards being used. 42fps would be possible on those but it's untested by me)

Pic:229942305_Screenshotat2019-06-0120-07-41.thumb.png.f776cde0f35f4fd1ef12136d49544cb3.png

On the server add each Pi as you would with your motioneyeos Pi as well, but use as the URL:

http://<your_IP_or_DNS_here>/cam_pic_new.php

P.S. In the install of RPi-Cam-Webinterface use nginx, not apache (it's a resource hog).

Also change the root directory to /var/www/html. If you forgot that you can edit it after installation:

• sudo nano /etc/nginx/sites-enabled/rpicam
  • find: "root /var/www;"
  • replace with: "root /var/www/html;"
  • save
  • sudo service nginx restart

• 1 month later...

How can I get this to work with AES encryption? To log onto my wifi I have a login username and password. Not just an SSID. Help please

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/29/2018 at 12:16 AM, Kadah said:

One issue with the Pi Zero's is trying to buying more than one of them from an official reseller. If you get them through Adafruit, Sparkfun, or a local Microcenter, they are only going to allow you to purchase one at $10 price point. The random Amazon sellers tend to list the Zero's for stupidly high prices.

Loophole: Buy RPi0W in kits. I just ordered two kits, each with a camera case, RPi0W, ribbon cable, and the v.2.1 8MP camera. I think is was about $50 per kit. It's not cheaper than buying a single RPi0W, but it was cheaper than microCenter's multiple RPi0W prices.

• 3 weeks later...

hey guys

I have done everything he said but it is not working and just getting stuck after eudev. 

thanks in advance

Tom

• 2 weeks later...

I have setup the hub and is fully working but the pi zero w wont boot as it says

configuring wired network: no device

panic: rebooting in 5 seconds (caused by network)

and then it just goes into a boot loop and the time it takes to reboot gets longer. I am sure i have entered the correct details into the file "wpa_supplicant.conf" and i have re flashed the SD many times repeating the whole process. any one know what the problem is? thanks in advance!

8 hours ago, Max13 said:

I have setup the hub and is fully working but the pi zero w wont boot as it says

configuring wired network: no device

panic: rebooting in 5 seconds (caused by network)

and then it just goes into a boot loop and the time it takes to reboot gets longer. I am sure i have entered the correct details into the file "wpa_supplicant.conf" and i have re flashed the SD many times repeating the whole process. any one know what the problem is? thanks in advance!

I would not post this question here. This is a fairly old thread. Do this in a new post in the hobby electronics section. 

Not many people come by to this thread. 

Is there a limit to the amount of cameras that can be used? Wanting to do this with roughly 10 raspberry pi zero w /cameras and one raspberry pi 4 as the hub (mainly to live view all of them and motion alerts) then also a standalone PC as well acting as another hub mainly for storage and cloud services.