Thermaltake AIO Cooler - Dual RGB Fans
Corsair 16GB DDR4 3000Mhz
EVGA 750w PSU
500GB Samsung EVO M.2
750GB Crucial SSD
1TB WD HDD
Win 10 Pro

7 hours ago, brwainer said:

There are ways to add POE to raspberrypi (although moreso for the fullsize ones that actually have an ethernet port). If you mean a normal, not DIY camera, then all it needs to have is support for MJPEG video streams.

https://www.amazon.ca/ANVISION-Splitter-Adapter-Compliant-Raspberry/dp/B079D99Y3Y/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1526433936&sr=8-10&keywords=poe+splitter

or USA:

https://www.amazon.com/UCTRONICS-802-3af-Splitter-Ethernet-Raspberry/dp/B01MDLUSE7/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1526434051&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=poe+splitter+micro+usb&psc=1

widget.png?style=banner2

PC: 13900K, 32GB Trident Z5, AORUS 7900 XTX, 2TB SN850X, 1TB MP600, Win 11

NAS: Xeon W-2195, 64GB ECC, 180TB Storage, 1660 Ti, TrueNAS Scale

Is it possible to stack 2 pi 3s into a cluster for more performance on the hub? Considering a large amount of cameras.

Thanks!

You get what you pay for.- Me

On 16/05/2018 at 2:42 PM, arcticfox159 said:

Is it possible to stack 2 pi 3s into a cluster for more performance on the hub? Considering a large amount of cameras.

Thanks!

They would act as seperate servers so probably isn't ideal. Best off using a machine with more power then a Pi and sticking a Linux with MotionEye installed on it.

Add me on Discord Epictek#6136

Does the Pi Zero W need to be overclocked to run at the 720p 10fps settings? or is that for more demanding settings?

On 5/15/2018 at 12:39 AM, jakkuh_t said:

4. Multiple cameras w/ a desktop computer as a hub

• This is a setup that you can build, but I haven't investigated it yet, so stay tuned on this

The hub portion is fairly simple, I spun up an Ubuntu VM to tinker around with it. I will move the hub to my Linux media server as soon as I get the parts to make the cameras. 

If people looking for a better system for the Pi go check http://www.ipconfigure.com/ they have a free version platform for home users. And a full suite of Apps to support on iOS Android.

for cameras, you can make your PI into an Onvif camera with opensource https://github.com/BreeeZe/rpos 

Whilst this is a little more to do than normal, it will give a better product into the professional level of software and also with a selection of Apps to view live streams from an Onvif device.

Following this thread.  Want to know more about running a 8-10 camera system. Sound like a linux box as a hub may be best??

I am honestly not a fan of this new video format. I like the old project style more like sketchy heatsink ep2, sleeper pc ep1&2. It was linus ready the script off  in front of a set(honestly i dont even know why yall build so mucu set when you only use linus office set most of the time and occasionally new kitchen set) and showinging just b-rolls of the project instead of the fake and staged dialogue with the writer in this video. Not only when linus speak to his writer in a different tone that sounds weird af, the dialog is also too soft and is not as clear as linus narrating outload behind while showing the b-rolls of  that certain step. Anyway, this is a great project, just a bit annoyed by the new but not practical video format for projects.

3 hours ago, cgchris99 said:

Following this thread.  Want to know more about running a 8-10 camera system. Sound like a linux box as a hub may be best??

Yes definetly would want a more beefy Linux machine for that many cameras if you plan on recording from all of them.

4 hours ago, mikeybabes said:

If people looking for a better system for the Pi go check http://www.ipconfigure.com/ they have a free version platform for home users. And a full suite of Apps to support on iOS Android.

for cameras, you can make your PI into an Onvif camera with opensource https://github.com/BreeeZe/rpos 

Whilst this is a little more to do than normal, it will give a better product into the professional level of software and also with a selection of Apps to view live streams from an Onvif device.

Hardly "better", This solution isn't opensource or free with limits such as "Max. 4 cameras, max. 128 GB retention".

rpos seems like a nice application though.

So I haven't messed with Raspberri pi before so this would be new to me. Could I use a regular pc like an older socket 775 system with the raspberry zero cameras? Could I put the linux on the pc? I'm leaving home for a long time for military and I want my wife to feel safer. I feel like this (well executed) can fit the bill. 

I'd like to do this with a camera that supports infrared. I'm assuming you can use 5ghz wifi to send over the video to a nas? 

My RIG:

CPU: Intel core i7 4790k     Motherboard: Msi krait edition z97      RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB      GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 8GB Gaming Black Edition     Case: Thermaltake core v71   Storage: Samsung 850 pro 256gb OS, WD green 2Tb, WD blue 500GB, WD blue 350gb, Segate barracuda 250gb      PSU: NZXT hale82 v2 700w     Cooling: Noctua nh-d15   Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

good job!

OFF TOPIC: I suggest every poll from now on to have "**CK EA" option instead of "Other"

Hey, why didn't you guys censor this? @LinusTech @jakkuh_t5b0ba27968c1d_ScreenShot2018-05-27at11_31_57PM.png.f63e5b6cd0e4f126792e8ed1ef3a6b52.png

OFF TOPIC: I suggest every poll from now on to have "**CK EA" option instead of "Other"

Is it possible to setup a 8-cam 1080p 10fps system with night vision like that, or am I better off getting one of those chines CCTVs sets?

I think it might be possible. Using this calculator, 1080p @ 10fps in high quality H.264 will result in 4Mbps video stream, which Zero Pi should be able to handle. Even if the webcam USB and the Wi-Fi share the same bus, the 8Mbps combined (4Mbps from cam and 4Mbps to Wi-Fi) sounds like a reasonable amount of bandwidth that Zero Pi should be able to handle. So there should be no issue with Zero Pi.

Now, the hub server needs to be able to receive 4Mbps from all 8 Zero Pis, so 32Mbps, as well as to write those 32Mbps to hard drive. Optionally, it also could allow viewing live feeds through the web interface, which would add to at most 32Mbps. So 32Mbps (or 64Mbps) wifi/ethernet network and 32Mbps USB hard drive. Can Raspberry Pi B 3+ handle this? Also the CPU / RAM load required for all this by the Motion Eye server hub software.

Did my research on Aliexpress now, looks like it's cheaper to buy a Chinese camera system than to make one yourself. If you make it yourself, you spend something around $10 for RPi W, $20 for camera, $5 for case, $35 for RPi B 3+ and $50 for all kinds of cords and chargers, so (10+20+5)*8 + 35 + 50 = $365 in total. You can get a Chinese 8pcs system form $260 to $350, all setup, with the power cords, ethernet cables, etc. So it's not only cheaper, but also less work and likely a better night vision quality.

Does anyone know if the software supports a constant recording mode that only saves clips from RAM/ memory card when motion is detected, (so that it can also have the moments before the motion detection stored) or at least just a continuous filming mode that can also save the timestamps of motion detection? I can't seem to find any reasonably priced cameras that do this on the market, so this would be a great help.

1 hour ago, Valhalla666 said:

Did my research on Aliexpress now, looks like it's cheaper to buy a Chinese camera system than to make one yourself. If you make it yourself, you spend something around $10 for RPi W, $20 for camera, $5 for case, $35 for RPi B 3+ and $50 for all kinds of cords and chargers, so (10+20+5)*8 + 35 + 50 = $365 in total. You can get a Chinese 8pcs system form $260 to $350, all setup, with the power cords, ethernet cables, etc. So it's not only cheaper, but also less work and likely a better night vision quality.

Part of the appeal of projects like this is because it can be fun to DIY and Kitbash these things.

Honestly, I find playing around with Pis to be both fun and educational. Likewise, some people may like open source solutions versus the software that comes with their China-cams.

I already use a bunch of $25 Yi Home Cameras in custom enclosures, but that's acknowledging that due to the nature of the software, I am probably consenting on being spied on.

I already got a Pi3W, and at least 2 Pi Zero Ws and a Camera Module. I think I might do this just as a "fun" weekend project. May or may not keep it, maybe give it to a friend, but I do look forward to at least giving it a try.

On 15.5.2018 at 7:35 PM, bluebarracuda225 said:

I'm excited for this. Already have my dell R710s up and running, and I've been wanting to add some cameras to my house.

Is it possible to make a POE camera instead of wireless though?

you could use a regular pi and make your own POE setup by injecting 5V into the unused wires when running at 100mbit/s

On 5/15/2018 at 12:39 AM, jakkuh_t said:

I think I got everything... if you have any questions, ask below :D

------

The first step is to decide what you want your setup to be, as you'll need to know how many parts to order. There is a few different options, and once you've chosen, click on the parts list for your respective setup.

1. Single Camera w/o hub server

2. Single Camera w/ hub server - *RECOMMENDED*

Sorry, I am really new to using Raspi's and pretty much clueless on it.  I was looking into using this with just a single camera with night vision and would like to try to keep it on the cheap.  I already have a home server with two Opteron 6172 12 cores, clocked at 2.1ghz, 32gb of ram, a HD 6450 just for display out, and 2TB of HDD storage.  Would i still be able to record lets say 720p at 25fps  if i used the server as the "hub".  Or would i still have to get the extra Pi 3 running Motion IOS like suggested in the video Linus uploaded to YouTube on the 27th?

4 hours ago, DrLoneZebra said:

Sorry, I am really new to using Raspi's and pretty much clueless on it.  I was looking into using this with just a single camera with night vision and would like to try to keep it on the cheap.  I already have a home server with two Opteron 6172 12 cores, clocked at 2.1ghz, 32gb of ram, a HD 6450 just for display out, and 2TB of HDD storage.  Would i still be able to record lets say 720p at 25fps  if i used the server as the "hub".  Or would i still have to get the extra Pi 3 running Motion IOS like suggested in the video Linus uploaded to YouTube on the 27th?

You should definetly be fine with them specs.

This is awesome, thanks for the guide!  I was wondering if it's possible to set up a virtual machine to be used as the hub server rather than getting another pi?