Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
xFluing

My personal experience with Nvidia and AMD

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Alright, so for the longest time I've been using AMD cards.

 

For about 3 years I've been using an R7 250 I had bought in desperate need for an upgrade (PC couldn't even run half life 2 on high without throttling), recently I bought two HD 7850s second hand, but I had to take them back because for some reason they've been cooked, and about at this time I've become more enthusiast than ever: I'd mess with contrast, brightness etc. in the driver settings, even was running overclocked off two monitors

 

However, it was only after I got this Nvidia card that I realized how limited Radeon Settings was in terms of image calibration (brightness / contrast sliders would only affect anything in increments of 5 which is so coarse it makes me sick) and video settings (90% of games couldn't have their settings forced), but with Nvidia, holy shit NVCP is my wet dream: the monitor calibration is so fine, and forcing video settings actually works.

 

So my conclusion, in the endless Nvidia vs AMD war is this:

If you're just a casual gamer, looking to just play games and not dabble into the nitty gritty of image calibration, just get whatever is in your budget.

If you're a tweaker / enthusiast, definitely go for Nvidia, this seems to be their target audience, at least until AMD fix their messy Radeon Settings.


My super good shitty budget build™
Athlon X4 860K (OC to 4.0 GHz, basically an 880K at this point)

EVGA GTX 960 SSC 2GB

4GB 1333 MHz Dual-Channel Zeppelin RAM (will upgrade to 8GB soon enough)

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, xFluing said:

Alright, so for the longest time I've been using AMD cards.

 

For about 3 years I've been using an R7 250 I had bought in desperate need for an upgrade (PC couldn't even run half life 2 on high without throttling), recently I bought two HD 7850s second hand, but I had to take them back because for some reason they've been cooked, and about at this time I've become more enthusiast than ever: I'd mess with contrast, brightness etc. in the driver settings, even was running overclocked off two monitors

 

However, it was only after I got this Nvidia card that I realized how limited Radeon Settings was in terms of image calibration (brightness / contrast sliders would only affect anything in increments of 5 which is so coarse it makes me sick) and video settings (90% of games couldn't have their settings forced), but with Nvidia, holy shit NVCP is my wet dream: the monitor calibration is so fine, and forcing video settings actually works.

 

So my conclusion, in the endless Nvidia vs AMD war is this:

If you're just a casual gamer, looking to just play games and not dabble into the nitty gritty of image calibration, just get whatever is in your budget.

If you're a tweaker / enthusiast, definitely go for Nvidia, this seems to be their target audience, at least until AMD fix their messy Radeon Settings.

Except that overclocking nVidia cards is ultra terrible once you start going beyond their software limits.  Seriously nVidia, GPU current limits on the current limits.... Y THO.....

 

That said... i agree with all your other points.  Good day sir.


Linux Daily Driver:

CPU: R5 2400G

Motherboard: MSI B350M Mortar

RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4

HDD: 1TB POS HDD from an old Dell

SSD: 256GB WD Black NVMe M.2

Case: Phanteks Mini XL DS

PSU: 1200W Corsair HX1200

 

Gaming Rig:

CPU: i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270-N Wi-Fi ITX

RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4

GPU: Asus Turbo GTX 1070 @ 2GHz

HDD: 3TB Toshiba something or other

SSD: 512GB WD Black NVMe M.2

Case: Shared with Daily - Phanteks Mini XL DS

PSU: Shared with Daily - 1200W Corsair HX1200

 

Server

CPU: Ryzen7 1700

Motherboard: MSI X370 SLI Plus

RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4

GPU: Nvidia GT 710

HDD: 1X 10TB Seagate ironwolf NAS Drive.  4X 3TB WD Red NAS Drive.

SSD: Adata 128GB

Case: NZXT Source 210 (white)

PSU: EVGA 650 G2 80Plus Gold

Link to post
Share on other sites

No one should decide on anything just based on brand. If they objectively look at each product they're interested in, let them go for it. 


CPU: Intel Core i7 4770k @ 4.6GHz 1.28V - Delidded GPU: iChill X4 Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H 

RAM: 16GB HyperX Fury 1866MHz Case: Fractal Design Define S Fans: 6x Fractal Design Dynamic GP-14 PSU: Corsair RM550x Fully Modular SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 500GB Samsung 840 EVO 120GB

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Screens: Dell S2417DG + LG 22EA63 Keyboard: Logitech G810 Mouse: Logitech G403 Speakers: Logitech Z333 Headset: HyperX Cloud II 
Webcam: Logitech C920 Microphone: Blue Yeti

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/kKq48d

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, MedievalMatt said:

Except that overclocking nVidia cards is ultra terrible once you start going beyond their software limits.  Seriously nVidia, GPU current limits on the current limits.... Y THO.....

 

That said... i agree with all your other points.  Good day sir.

I completely disagree, Nvidia cards overclock much better than AMD. That's a blanket statement I can make.

 

Look at the 780 verses 290, 980ti verses Fury X, 1080 versus Vega 64.


If anyone asks you never saw me.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Owning both, the Nvidia software seems easier to deal with.  At least on a 10 series vs Vega.  Vega feels like it is still in development and they gave me the card to test the cooling solution they chose...

You can tell something isn't right when the first thing you do is under-volt it and you are stuck using wattman to do it...

Link to post
Share on other sites

As someone who has used both since the 90s, their drivers are both equal garbage that I have to pray to Thor that they don't bug out on me.  Or, I have to roll back to avoid a blue screen or keep a feat.


VashTheStampede 4.0:

CPU: AMD Threadripper 1950x | CPU Cooling: EKWB S280 with the EK Supremacy sTR4 RGB Nickel Water Block and Blood Red Premix | Compound: Thermal Grizzly Hydronaut | Mobo: Asrock X399 Taichi | Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GBs (2x16) DDR4-3200 | Storage: Crucial BX200 240GB SSD/PNY CS900 240GB SSD/Seagate Constellation ES.3 1TB 7200RPM/Toshiba X300 5TB 7200RPM | GPU: Zotac Geforce GTX 1080 8GB AMP! Edition | Case: Fractal Define R5 Blackout Edition w/Window | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W 80+ Gold | Optical Drive: LG WH14NS40 | Operating System: Windows 10 Pro | Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 with Cherry MX Reds | Mouse: Corsair M65 Pro RGB FPS | Headphones:  AKG K7XX Massdrop Editions | Mic: Audio-Technica ATR2500 | Speakers: Mackie MR624 Studio Monitors

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

As someone who has used both since the 90s, their drivers are both equal garbage that I have to pray to Thor that they don't bug out on me.  Or, I have to roll back to avoid a blue screen or keep a feat.

Ahhh, the "is it the new driver or Windows updating" game.

 

I hate that game...


If anyone asks you never saw me.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Drivers have been no issues with my R9, but finding a good driver to OC with it have been a bit of a pain, but it's a first world issue, stock it runs flawless.


Intel Xeon E5640 4510mhz 1.10v-1.42v (offset) - C states on (◣_◢) 16GB 2x4 1x8 1296mhz CL7 (◣_◢) ASUS P6X58DE (◣_◢) Radeon R9 Fury Sapphire Nitro (◣_◢) 500GB HDD x2 1TB HDD x2 (RAID) Intel 480GB SSD (◣_◢) NZXT S340 (◣_◢) 130hz VS VX2268WM
Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, xFluing said:

Alright, so for the longest time I've been using AMD cards.

 

For about 3 years I've been using an R7 250 I had bought in desperate need for an upgrade (PC couldn't even run half life 2 on high without throttling), recently I bought two HD 7850s second hand, but I had to take them back because for some reason they've been cooked, and about at this time I've become more enthusiast than ever: I'd mess with contrast, brightness etc. in the driver settings, even was running overclocked off two monitors

 

However, it was only after I got this Nvidia card that I realized how limited Radeon Settings was in terms of image calibration (brightness / contrast sliders would only affect anything in increments of 5 which is so coarse it makes me sick) and video settings (90% of games couldn't have their settings forced), but with Nvidia, holy shit NVCP is my wet dream: the monitor calibration is so fine, and forcing video settings actually works.

 

So my conclusion, in the endless Nvidia vs AMD war is this:

If you're just a casual gamer, looking to just play games and not dabble into the nitty gritty of image calibration, just get whatever is in your budget.

If you're a tweaker / enthusiast, definitely go for Nvidia, this seems to be their target audience, at least until AMD fix their messy Radeon Settings.

??

 

20180514_233416.jpg.e5a9e69f84199e3779dcd928b0ab4c36.jpg


Intel Xeon E5640 4510mhz 1.10v-1.42v (offset) - C states on (◣_◢) 16GB 2x4 1x8 1296mhz CL7 (◣_◢) ASUS P6X58DE (◣_◢) Radeon R9 Fury Sapphire Nitro (◣_◢) 500GB HDD x2 1TB HDD x2 (RAID) Intel 480GB SSD (◣_◢) NZXT S340 (◣_◢) 130hz VS VX2268WM
Link to post
Share on other sites

TL;DR

714.jpg


Personal Use Rig:
CPU:  Intel Core i9 9900K @4.7ghz  |~| Cooling: Noctua NH-D9L |~|  MOBO: Asus Z390M ROG Maximus XI GENE |~| RAM: 32gb 3200mhz CL16 G.Skill Trident Z RGB |~| GPU: Founders Edition RTX 2080Ti  |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M  80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  Intel Optane Memory 32 GB   |~| Storage: 2X3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + 2X2TB SSD SanDisk Ultra |~| Case: Cooler Master Case Pro 3 |~| Display: ASUS ROG Swift PG348Q 3440x1440p100hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.
Workstation Rig(My brother's, I use it too [:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1800X @4.1ghz |~| Cooling: Cooler Master V8 GTS |~| MOBO: Asus X370 Prime-Pro |~| RAM: 64gb DDR4 3200mhzCL16 Corsair Vengeance LPX |~| GPU: PNY nVidia Quadro P4000 |~| PSU: Corsair RM850x 80Plus Gold |~| Boot: 500gb Samsung EVO 850 |~| Storage: 3x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda |~| Display Setup: Acer X34 3440x1440p100hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
8 hours ago, M300843499 said:

??

 

20180514_233416.jpg.e5a9e69f84199e3779dcd928b0ab4c36.jpg

Move the birghtness / contrast sliders around, see how you only see any change once every 5 steps

 

Granted, kinda the same happens with nvidia, with it going 2-3 steps at once, but it's much finer than with radeon settings.


My super good shitty budget build™
Athlon X4 860K (OC to 4.0 GHz, basically an 880K at this point)

EVGA GTX 960 SSC 2GB

4GB 1333 MHz Dual-Channel Zeppelin RAM (will upgrade to 8GB soon enough)

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've purchased a rx 480 8gb at msrp (260 euros/dollars) and paired with a 2500k and now i'm using a 4790k with a 1070 , (and my gf has a 1060) I can tell that AMD has best bang for buck and raw performance on that price but you cant let a amd card without a few tweaks.
 

AMD > NVIDIA on price / performance ratio but with green team you can purchase a card and use almost full potential without a tweak.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, xFluing said:

However, it was only after I got this Nvidia card that I realized how limited Radeon Settings was in terms of image calibration (brightness / contrast sliders would only affect anything in increments of 5 which is so coarse it makes me sick) and video settings (90% of games couldn't have their settings forced), but with Nvidia, holy shit NVCP is my wet dream: the monitor calibration is so fine, and forcing video settings actually works.

 

Radeon Settings lets you adjust brightness, contrast, saturation etc. in increments of 1. So I don't know WTF you're talking about.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
25 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

 

Radeon Settings lets you adjust brightness, contrast, saturation etc. in increments of 1. So I don't know WTF you're talking about.

Those "increments" of 1 do jack shit, the only steps they do anything in is "5"


My super good shitty budget build™
Athlon X4 860K (OC to 4.0 GHz, basically an 880K at this point)

EVGA GTX 960 SSC 2GB

4GB 1333 MHz Dual-Channel Zeppelin RAM (will upgrade to 8GB soon enough)

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, xFluing said:

Those "increments" of 1 do jack shit, the only steps they do anything in is "5"

Works on my end.

 

Remember this depends on your monitor settings. There's only so much granularity to go around.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
5 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

Works on my end.

 

Remember this depends on your monitor settings. There's only so much granularity to go around.

OK so, moving around the sliders would do nothing, not in +/-1 neither in +/-2 +/-3 OR +/-4, it's only at +/-5 that I see any change happening, and it's very big, however with nvidia it's much more granular, a +/-5 on nvidia does not look as drastic as a +/-5 on AMD. I would record a video for an example, but I don't have the AMD card on me currently, besides nvcp also comes with gamma, something completely missing from radeon settings, setting which I've used more than once on both my monitors.

 

Edit: and yeah this AMD issue happens with both of the monitors, so the monitor being the issue is out of the question.


My super good shitty budget build™
Athlon X4 860K (OC to 4.0 GHz, basically an 880K at this point)

EVGA GTX 960 SSC 2GB

4GB 1333 MHz Dual-Channel Zeppelin RAM (will upgrade to 8GB soon enough)

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, xFluing said:

OK so, moving around the sliders would do nothing, not in +/-1 neither in +/-2 +/-3 OR +/-4, it's only at +/-5 that I see any change happening, and it's very big, however with nvidia it's much more granular, a +/-5 on nvidia does not look as drastic as a +/-5 on AMD. I would record a video for an example, but I don't have the AMD card on me currently, besides nvcp also comes with gamma, something completely missing from radeon settings, setting which I've used more than once on both my monitors.

 

Edit: and yeah this AMD issue happens with both of the monitors, so the monitor being the issue is out of the question.

Works on both of my monitors. The problem is on your end.

 

Gamma is built into Windows already.

 

Really seems like you just haven't calibrated your monitors properly.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
3 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

Works on both of my monitors. The problem is on your end.

 

Gamma is built into Windows already.

 

Really seems like you just haven't calibrated your monitors properly.

Windows's gamma setting is a fucking joke, I mean it does the job right, but it has no steps on it, no marks on it, just whatever, and getting those dots to disappear every single time is a pain

 

I would have calibrated properly if AMD allowed me to  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Seriously now, all jokes aside, the AMD calibration did do its job well enough, however Nvidia just does it better.


My super good shitty budget build™
Athlon X4 860K (OC to 4.0 GHz, basically an 880K at this point)

EVGA GTX 960 SSC 2GB

4GB 1333 MHz Dual-Channel Zeppelin RAM (will upgrade to 8GB soon enough)

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, MedievalMatt said:

Except that overclocking nVidia cards is ultra terrible once you start going beyond their software limits.  Seriously nVidia, GPU current limits on the current limits.... Y THO.....

 

That said... i agree with all your other points.  Good day sir.

Good thing we have non-reference cards then with modded bios's for much higher power limits... some of them even do it automatically by just selecting the secondary bios on the card.

 

So yes, Nvidia did put some blocks in place, but this was more to make it harder to fry a card for your average person just wanting higher performance. For the true enthusiasts there are ways around these "blocks" so that you can crank the power even higher.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Meh, modern day Radeon settings + drivers surpasses Nvidia in my experience. But both are ok though. I wouldn't base my buying decision on that.

 

I would base it on individual products in your price range.

e.g.

RX 580 vs GTX 1060

Vega56 vs GTX 1070

Vega64 vs GTX 1080

Above are just examples assuming MSRP (which is not reality today).

My point is never go into a buying decision thinking AMD is better or vice versa. Rather compare the individual product and consider your use case.

 

So in practice this would be something like

RX580 performs similar to GTX 1060. Maybe since I dual boot Linux I will pick the RX580 since it works better out of the box with great open source drivers.

Vega56 performs similar to GTX 1070.  I will just take my pick based on which AIB model I prefer. Or based on whether I have a freesync or gsync monitor.

Vega64 performs similar to GTX 1080. But I can overclock the GTX 1080 more to surpass the Vega64 and it takes a lot less power. So I pick nvidia.

 

Above are just examples of the correct logic to use when choosing a graphics card. You compare products for your use case. Don't go in thinking Nvidia vs AMD.

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Humbug said:

Meh, modern day Radeon settings + drivers surpasses Nvidia in my experience. But both are ok though. I wouldn't base my buying decision on that.

 

I would base it on individual products in your price range.

e.g.

RX 580 vs GTX 1060

Vega56 vs GTX 1070

Vega64 vs GTX 1080

Above are just examples assuming MSRP (which is not reality today).

My point is never go into a buying decision thinking AMD is better or vice versa. Rather compare the individual product and consider your use case.

 

So in practice this would be something like

RX580 performs similar to GTX 1060. Maybe since I dual boot Linux I will pick the RX580 since it works better out of the box with great open source drivers.

Vega56 performs similar to GTX 1070.  I will just take my pick based on which AIB model I prefer. Or based on whether I have a freesync or gsync monitor.

Vega64 performs similar to GTX 1080. But I can overclock the GTX 1080 more to surpass the Vega64 and it takes a lot less power. So I pick nvidia.

 

Above are just examples of the correct logic to use when choosing a graphics card. You compare products for your use case. Don't go in thinking Nvidia vs AMD.

I figure I can chime in on this one.

 

Nvidia has had some pretty solid drivers and outside of a couple bad drivers they quickly fixed... their drivers tend to be pretty solid.

 

Amd drivers have gotten much better over the years, they still aren't the best, but they are years better than they were.

 

So after that little break down, I personally prefer the Nvidia drivers and even the software that goes with it like Geforce experience.

 

Now your break down with card comparisons is pretty accurate. There is another thing I feel needs to be mentioned. 

 

Right now Nvidia hards have a great deal more raw horsepower in most circumstances, but when it comes to DX12 AMD has a much better async computing solution... so they have big gains in FPS and Performance in games that take advantage of that technology.

 

So this means that a 580 can beat a 1060 in a dx12 game and similar down the line. Now the Nvidia cards don't do poorly, just they do not see the gains currently between dx11 and dx12 like AMD cards do. I fully expect to see this change as nvidia finally adapts and pushed for better async performance.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×