Unboxing Intel's PROTOTYPE GPU

as mentioned, this was their earlier foray into the graphics market.

This is just a repurposed heatsink because obviously the card was too pitiful to use.  The rest of the card is in a box some where, but they did let some engineering samples slip out

Not what I expected given the title of the video but still very interesting.

NO! It's art, it's colonialism and you'll never get it!

considering that that the card LED lit up it should not be a hardware issue.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

That's... Actually really cool.

I'd love to see what they could do nowadays. I mean, they did that during what, the Nahalem days?

Now I need to watch that GN video on CUDA cores...

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

Interesting. I think @LinusTech should do a part 2 where he tests it with a non-UEFI board to see if he can make it work.

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

I have confirmation from the "Russian" who owns the other Larrabee prototype that "XXXsh: he says it shows in the system as co-processor" ... that is with booting to video with an IGP or Dedicated other video card.

1 hour ago, erek said:

I have confirmation from the "Russian" who owns the other Larrabee prototype that "XXXsh: he says it shows in the system as co-processor" ... that is with booting to video with an IGP or Dedicated other video card.

hmm....... do you suggest to put the intel card in the near slot and a regular GPU in the farthest slot to get the coprocessor access functionality of the intel card?

That's a good idea to give that a try!

(update)

I've been looking into this a bit more and I "think" ( although may be a long shot here ) that they could have added the ports on purpose as Video_Out and expected that the card would be used on motherboards ( especially those consumers looking to upgrade their hw who have pentium 4's, pentium d's, and core2 duos ) where there are NO VIDEO OUT ports on the motherboard...

** more over " I " personally believe (hope rather) the actual consumer purpose that intel was considering was to have the card be used on core i3/i5 motherboards that had no video out ports onboard  "and"  that the types of Core CPUS used would have to have "intel graphics" inside the CPU chip as well.

^---- if this were the case then the proper configuration would be to get a motherboard ( actual "intel board" if at all possible and with no video out ports ) and use a core i5 quad core with intel graphics inside.

The only question is if any instruction sets were added to the intel CPU specifically for connecting to and driving this intel pcie card.  because if those instruction sets existed in earlier intel CPU generations then they may have remove these sets from future CPU generations after scraping the project.

sorry so long winded on my part but I hope that helps :-)

p.s. if you get it to turn on and boot to o/s then send it all to me and I'll try to work out the software side of it ( sw takes a while but I will see what i can do ) I'm a software guy and you're the hardware experts!

p.s.s. if you do send it to me then i might need some crossed fingers form the entire forum ^_^

LTT guys,

Just use server board to try the card. Don't use desktop ones.

It worked usually in PCI-E x16 slot with PCI videocard, but if your server board has some internal graphics that should be fine.

You can ask your seller if he/she has the debug board for that, it had POST codes indicator and COM port, so you can get its output to the serial console and can read POST codes (remember it has OS inside).

Pre-production samples were really unstable and sometimes died without any reason, so that may be the reason why your seller found it in a trash box.

20 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Seems like those would be step 1 and 2 in troubleshooting.

>LTT

>Doing anything correctly

Stop it, you're killing me! xDxDxD

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

On ‎14‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 7:39 PM, nicklmg said:

Buy Intel CPUs on Amazon: http://geni.us/809gd

We got our hands on a PROTOTYPE video card from Intel. But does it actually do anything?...

what about put another working gpu in and use the motherboard with hotswap pcie to see if it shows up Linus?

@nicklmg @LinusTech

I advise you to enable the option "Above 4G Decoding".

Had a chance to launch a 1st gen Xeon Phi card (6xxx series) on a Xeon D platform, and the mentioned option really helped.

But as already been said, your card might be just a co-processor and you'll need another GPU for video output.

I had similar problems getting my Xeon Phi card working. Had it to Enable Above 4G Decoding to get it to boot on my workstations.

In some other mobos it’s listed as MMIO above 4G or Large BAR support.

The larrabee accelerator card must be supported by BIOS, same as xeon phi accelerator card, if the BIOS does not support it. The computer will not be started up, so I suggest you finding the same period of C602 motherboard or dual way cpu LGA1366 workstation motherboard and try to use it..all in all,this card is really a PC with a Linux built in.

and then, Linus said this card belongs to knights Corner, and he said it is the same as the 1st gen PCIE Xeon 3/5/7th accelerator card that Tianhe2 uesd. so you d better consider using E5 2600V2/V1 series CPU with double ways C602 server motherboard. I think this motherboard should be usable..  if you can't find drive. Consider using the xeon phi accelerator card drive. it seems like no Windows drive, but the 2rd gen Xeon Phi LGA3467 can Install on Windows,or you use linux.(I,I am sorry for my poor English.)
‌Love U linus.By the way I am from China.

probably going to catch a lot of flack for this, but LTT seems to have underhandedly received this from an eBay Auction.   The winner of the actual auction in good faith was Red Falcon.    He was lied to by the seller saying that Intel Lawyers stepped in, and I was told "it's in good hands"

https://hardforum.com/threads/intel-larrabee-a-prototype.1948986/page-4#post-1043635263

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 5/15/2018 at 1:13 AM, Kamjam21xx said:

There will probably be a revision video now.

still waiting...

• 1 month later...
On 5/14/2018 at 5:00 PM, deadbeef said:

All characters and events depicted in this post are entirely fictitious. Any similarity to actual events or persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental. All images are renders.

Linus,

KNC A1s are never intended to be videocards, I think the fact that you have it with some video outputs may just indicate that those ones are either refurbished ones with old PCBs or they just made it out of inertia.

I am unable to find my old pictures with real Larabee which as far as I can remember could work only in text mode out-of-box, but I am pretty sure they had black shrouds. Next gen has metal shrouds and then blue ones. So, you are having almost production grade board, you can download the drivers on official Intel site, but they are for calculations only.

Here are photos of KNF E0 which was the first add in card Intel admited to be a co-processor, not a videocard :) They are taken in the early 2011.

There's no way this is a KNC that was never intended to be a videocard, the PCB clearly states Larrabee and also "GPU".   Linus is dead wrong in calling this a KNC.

u1PRVRi.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Managed to acquire my own Larrabee

5 hours ago, erek said:

Got drivers?

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

NOOOOO WAYYY!!! HOOLY SHITTTT. 

NICE ONEEEEE MAANN!!!!

On 10/9/2018 at 5:52 AM, erek said: