Unboxing Intel's PROTOTYPE GPU

Interesting.

COMPUTER: Mobile Battlestation  |  CPU: INTEL I7-8700k |  Motherboard: Asus z370-i Strix Gaming  | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev. b |  PSU: Corsair SF600 | HDD: Samsung 860 evo 1tb

Wait just now it got released? xD But yeah someone better get the special sauce drivers 

Primary Laptop (Gearsy MK4): Ryzen 9 5900HX, Radeon RX 6800M, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 24 GB DDR4 2400 Mhz, 512 GB SSD+1TB SSD, 15.6 in 300 Hz IPS display

2021 Asus ROG Strix G15 Advantage Edition

Secondary Laptop (Uni MK2): Ryzen 7 5800HS, Nvidia GTX 1650, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 16 GB DDR4 3200 Mhz, 512 GB SSD 

2021 Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 

Meme Machine (Uni MK1): Shintel Core i5 7200U, Nvidia GT 940MX, 24 GB DDR4 2133 Mhz, 256 GB SSD+500GB HDD, 15.6 in TN Display 

2016 Acer Aspire E5 575 

Retired Laptop (Gearsy MK2): Ryzen 5 2500U, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 12 GB 2400 Mhz DDR4, 256 GB NVME SSD, 15.6" 1080p IPS Touchscreen 

2017 HP Envy X360 15z (Ryzen)

PC (Gearsy): A6 3650, HD 6530D , 8 GB 1600 Mhz Kingston DDR3, Some Random Mobo Lol, EVGA 450W BT PSU, Stock Cooler, 128 GB Kingston SSD, 1 TB WD Blue 7200 RPM

HP P7 1234 (Yes It's Actually Called That)  RIP 

Also im happy to answer any Ryzen Mobile questions if anyone is interested! 

@nicklmg @LinusTech

The issue you're having is a motherboard one, as it needs a compatible BIOS.

I don't remember directly without re-watching other videos which board you are using.

There are some ASUS LGA-2011 (/-3) compatible motherboards, and some ASRock ones with a special BIOS as well. 

https://streamhpc.com/blog/2015-08-01/xeon-phi-knights-corner-compatible-motherboards/

Potential software (driver) source.

https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-manycore-platform-software-stack-mpss#wn38rel

COMPUTER: Mobile Battlestation  |  CPU: INTEL I7-8700k |  Motherboard: Asus z370-i Strix Gaming  | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev. b |  PSU: Corsair SF600 | HDD: Samsung 860 evo 1tb

Linus says at 2:15 it's Intel's first and only dedicated graphics card. Not exactly correct :P

Intel did make one before, only 1, back in 1998. They killed it very quickly because it was a disaster but you could actually buy an intel graphics card a few decades ago.

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/1288/i740

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Could someone of the staff/linus upload high res images of the pcb front and back? would be very nice

New Desktop Project (currently work in process)

CPU: Intel Xeon E7-4890V2 @ 3,4GHz (1 of 4)

Mainboard: Supermicro X10QBI

Memory: 32GB DDR3 Reg.  

GPU: AMD Radeon RX Vega 64 (2 of 4)

PSU: Corsair HX1200i

Case: Motherboardbox

Try a board that does not have UEFI, like boards with a z68 chip set and any second generation core cpu(i7-2700K, i5-2500K, etc)

12 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

Intel did make one before, only 1, back in 1998. They killed it very quickly because it was a disaster but you could actually buy an intel graphics card a few decades ago.

Aaaa the pedant in me yelled about this too internally. Before then you had the i750 chipset that was really only used in a few consumer situations. 

I had a machine with one of these in it. It was OK for like, CAD stuff. Maybe. 

Try different motherboards that work with uncommon hardware.

System

• CPU
    i7-7700k at 4.6ghz
  • Motherboard
    Asus ROG Z270-E
  • RAM
    Gskill 16gb 2400 RGB
  • GPU
    MSI GTX 1080 Duke
  • Case
    Corsair 750D
  • Storage
    Samsung 850 evo 500gb
     WD black 4tb
     WD blue 1tb
     Kingston ssdnow v300 128gb
  • PSU
    Corsair HX750
  • Display(s)
    2x Asus - VG248QE 24" 144Hz 1080p
  • Cooling
    Corsair H110i
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro

6 minutes ago, hellspawncy said:

Try a board that does not have UEFI, like boards with a z68 chip set and any second generation core cpu(i7-2700K, i5-2500K, etc)

First gen core would be the most likely to work. Sandy Bridge didn't release until 2011. Something like an i7 990x is probably sitting around somewhere.

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

Yeah i'd imagine a motherboard from the era when the graphics card was under development would have the best chance at working. And if it has selectable PCI-E revision to run under, manually set it to 2.0 or even 1.0. I had a motherboard that had the PCI-E revision setting on auto and would not boot with a newer GPU (GTX 970), so i put the previous GPU i was using in (GTX 770), went into BIOS, set the PCI-E mode to 2.0, put the GTX 970 back in, and voila. Booted.

YouTube/CoalitionGaming - Cameras: Canon 1DX MkII, Canon EOS M6 MkII, Panasonic Lumix G85
The Gaming/Streaming/Editing Rig: Codename
LINCHPIN 
Ryzen 9 5900X // Gigabyte Aorus X570 Elite mobo // 32gb G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3600mhz // Swiftech Boreas custom CPU loop & IRIS Helix Fans // Lian LI PC-O11 Dynamic Case // Nvidia RTX 3080 FE  // Sandisk x400 1tb SSD // Micron 2tb SSD // WD 1tb Blue HDD // SK Hynix Gold P31 NVME 1tb SSD // 

Did you try Older Hardware,Or a board without an UEFI like a z68 board?

All characters and events depicted in this post are entirely fictitious. Any similarity to actual events or persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental. All images are renders.

Linus,

KNC A1s are never intended to be videocards, I think the fact that you have it with some video outputs may just indicate that those ones are either refurbished ones with old PCBs or they just made it out of inertia.

I am unable to find my old pictures with real Larabee which as far as I can remember could work only in text mode out-of-box, but I am pretty sure they had black shrouds. Next gen has metal shrouds and then blue ones. So, you are having almost production grade board, you can download the drivers on official Intel site, but they are for calculations only.

Here are photos of KNF E0 which was the first add in card Intel admited to be a co-processor, not a videocard :) They are taken in the early 2011.

lrb01.jpg

lrb02.jpg

lrb03.jpg

lrb04.jpg

2 minutes ago, deadbeef said:

That is correct driver/software, but you need to check if it has firmware for A* revisions as they are incompatible with B* revisions.

Good to know I was at least on the right track. Good to have someone who has experience working with them rather than just theoretical stuff for businesses.

How about plugging the card into a computer with a normal GPU, and see if the computer detects the card at all?

For all we know, the card might be dead. Or maybe look up the code the motherboard spits out. Seems like those would be step 1 and 2 in troubleshooting.

2 hours ago, FAQBytes said:

@nicklmg @LinusTech

The issue you're having is a motherboard one, as it needs a compatible BIOS.

I don't remember directly without re-watching other videos which board you are using.

There are some ASUS LGA-2011 (/-3) compatible motherboards, and some ASRock ones with a special BIOS as well. 

https://streamhpc.com/blog/2015-08-01/xeon-phi-knights-corner-compatible-motherboards/

Potential software (driver) source.

https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-manycore-platform-software-stack-mpss#wn38rel

Don't come here often but came here after seeing the video to say this. 

It's likely that the device has a bios which does not work with UEFI (UEFI and BIOS are different things), there should be an option to enable legacy support for devices with non-uefi compatible firmware. Secure boot must also be disabled for this.

PCIe spec shouldn't matter, it should be forward/backward compatible without any changes to either devices firmware.

Knights Corned required special motherboard with custom firmware, plus enable some settings in the BIOS to allow the card to access more PCIe lanes. I believe Intel Crown Pass family with dual Xeon v5 were the only ones compatibles with KNC engineering samples.

None of the KNC engineering samples could be used as video cards. Instead, they had embbedded firmware to run a custom Linux distribution wich was pushed to the card while the driver was being loaded. This driver also creates a Vritual Network interface to the card, so it can be SSHed from the host machine OS.

I'd recomend you to use a machine with Red Hat 6 or similar as the Host OS, instead of Windows plus the drivers that were posted before.

2 hours ago, LAwLz said:

How about plugging the card into a computer with a normal GPU, and see if the computer detects the card at all?

For all we know, the card might be dead. Or maybe look up the code the motherboard spits out. Seems like those would be step 1 and 2 in troubleshooting.

I'm seeing a lot of repeats from the floatplane thread :P

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

BBBBUT CAN IT MINE????

Since I am to lazy to put something interesting here, I will put everything, but slightly abbreviated. Here is everything:

also, some questions to make you wonder about life:

What is I and who is me? Who is you? Which armrest in the movie theatre is yours?

also,

Welcome to the internet, I will be your guide. Or something.

My build:

CPU: Intel Core i5-7400 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor,

Motherboard: ASRock B250M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard, 

Memory: Corsair 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory,

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive, 

Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 480 4GB ARMOR OC Video Card, 

Case: Corsair 100R ATX Mid Tower Case , 

Power Supply: Corsair CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply, 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home Full, 

Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN725N USB 2.0 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter, Case Fan: Corsair Air Series White 2 pack 52.2 CFM  120mm Fan

ou do not ask why, you ask why not -me

Remeber kinds, the only differ between screwing around and scince is writing it down. -Adam Savage.

Only two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not even sure of the former. - Albert Einstein.

Try the bga re-flow like you did with your 780 ti if nothing else works such as using alternative motherboards like other posts mention. Nothing more to lose right? It was mentioned that the card was found in a kind of scrap heap. If that is the case it could have been jostled or slightly bent enough to separate the bga. Just a thought. Really interesting all of the options that card gave to developers. Wish development was kept up better and put more effort into a card like the one shown in the video.