Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
nicklmg

Unboxing Intel's PROTOTYPE GPU

Interesting.

COMPUTER: Mobile Battlestation  |  CPU: INTEL I7-8700k |  Motherboard: Asus z370-i Strix Gaming  | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev. b |  PSU: Corsair SF600 | HDD: Samsung 860 evo 1tb

Wait just now it got released? xD But yeah someone better get the special sauce drivers 

Main Laptop (Gearsy MK2): Ryzen 5 2500U, Vega 8 Mobile,12 GB 2400 Mhz DDR4, 250 GB 960 Evo NVME PCIE SSD  1 TB HDD, 15.6" 1080p IPS Touchscreen 

HP Envy X360 15z (Ryzen)

Sleeper PC (Gearsy): A6 3650, MSI Armour 2X GTX 950 , 8 GB 1600 Mhz Kingston DDR3, Some Random Mobo Lol, EVGA 450W BT PSU, Stock Cooler, 128 GB Kingston SSD, 1 TB WD Blue 7200 RPM

HP P7 1234 (Yes It's Actually Called That) 

Also im happy to answer any Ryzen Mobile questions if anyone is intrested! 

@nicklmg @LinusTech

The issue you're having is a motherboard one, as it needs a compatible BIOS.

I don't remember directly without re-watching other videos which board you are using.

There are some ASUS LGA-2011 (/-3) compatible motherboards, and some ASRock ones with a special BIOS as well. 

https://streamhpc.com/blog/2015-08-01/xeon-phi-knights-corner-compatible-motherboards/

Potential software (driver) source.

https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-manycore-platform-software-stack-mpss#wn38rel

COMPUTER: Mobile Battlestation  |  CPU: INTEL I7-8700k |  Motherboard: Asus z370-i Strix Gaming  | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev. b |  PSU: Corsair SF600 | HDD: Samsung 860 evo 1tb

Linus says at 2:15 it's Intel's first and only dedicated graphics card. Not exactly correct :P

Intel did make one before, only 1, back in 1998. They killed it very quickly because it was a disaster but you could actually buy an intel graphics card a few decades ago.

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/1288/i740

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Could someone of the staff/linus upload high res images of the pcb front and back? would be very nice

New Desktop Project (currently work in process)

CPU: Intel Xeon E7-4890V2 @ 3,4GHz (1 of 4)

Mainboard: Supermicro X10QBI

Memory: 32GB DDR3 Reg.  

GPU: AMD Radeon RX Vega 64 (2 of 4)

PSU: Corsair HX1200i

Case: Motherboardbox

12 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

Intel did make one before, only 1, back in 1998. They killed it very quickly because it was a disaster but you could actually buy an intel graphics card a few decades ago.

Aaaa the pedant in me yelled about this too internally. Before then you had the i750 chipset that was really only used in a few consumer situations. 

I had a machine with one of these in it. It was OK for like, CAD stuff. Maybe. 

Try different motherboards that work with uncommon hardware.

System

• CPU
    i7-7700k at 4.6ghz
  • Motherboard
    Asus ROG Z270-E
  • RAM
    Gskill 16gb 2400 RGB
  • GPU
    MSI GTX 1080 Duke
  • Case
    Corsair 750D
  • Storage
    Samsung 850 evo 500gb
     WD black 4tb
     WD blue 1tb
     Kingston ssdnow v300 128gb
  • PSU
    Corsair HX750
  • Display(s)
    2x Asus - VG248QE 24" 144Hz 1080p
  • Cooling
    Corsair H110i
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro
6 minutes ago, hellspawncy said:

Try a board that does not have UEFI, like boards with a z68 chip set and any second generation core cpu(i7-2700K, i5-2500K, etc)

First gen core would be the most likely to work. Sandy Bridge didn't release until 2011. Something like an i7 990x is probably sitting around somewhere.

Main Gaming PC - i7 5820K @ 4.5GHz 1.25V - EVGA Hybrid 1070ti 2100Mhz Boost 8Ghz Mem.- MSI X99 SLI Krait - Corsair H115i - GSkill Ripjaws V 3000MHz - HX850i - Samsung 840 Pro 120GB SSD - Samsung 850 Evo 512GB - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Phanteks P400S

Laptop - HP Spectre x360 15t -  i7 8705G - Vega M GL - 16GB DDR4 - 512GB NVME - Windows 10

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

Yeah i'd imagine a motherboard from the era when the graphics card was under development would have the best chance at working. And if it has selectable PCI-E revision to run under, manually set it to 2.0 or even 1.0. I had a motherboard that had the PCI-E revision setting on auto and would not boot with a newer GPU (GTX 970), so i put the previous GPU i was using in (GTX 770), went into BIOS, set the PCI-E mode to 2.0, put the GTX 970 back in, and voila. Booted.

The Rig: Codename Red Beast
Intel Xeon E5-1650v2 @ 4.5ghz // Asus P9X79E-WS mobo // 16gb G.Skill Ares DDR3 1600 RAM // Deepcool Captain 240EX AIO cpu cooler

Raidmax Sigma case // Nvidia Geforce GTX 980ti w/ Kraken G10 and Corsair H55 AIO [1478mhz boost, VRAM at 8.2gbps] // Sandisk x400 1tb SSD

All characters and events depicted in this post are entirely fictitious. Any similarity to actual events or persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental. All images are renders.

Linus,

KNC A1s are never intended to be videocards, I think the fact that you have it with some video outputs may just indicate that those ones are either refurbished ones with old PCBs or they just made it out of inertia.

I am unable to find my old pictures with real Larabee which as far as I can remember could work only in text mode out-of-box, but I am pretty sure they had black shrouds. Next gen has metal shrouds and then blue ones. So, you are having almost production grade board, you can download the drivers on official Intel site, but they are for calculations only.

Here are photos of KNF E0 which was the first add in card Intel admited to be a co-processor, not a videocard :) They are taken in the early 2011.

lrb01.jpg

lrb02.jpg

lrb03.jpg

lrb04.jpg

2 minutes ago, deadbeef said:

That is correct driver/software, but you need to check if it has firmware for A* revisions as they are incompatible with B* revisions.

Good to know I was at least on the right track. Good to have someone who has experience working with them rather than just theoretical stuff for businesses.

How about plugging the card into a computer with a normal GPU, and see if the computer detects the card at all?

For all we know, the card might be dead. Or maybe look up the code the motherboard spits out. Seems like those would be step 1 and 2 in troubleshooting.

2 hours ago, FAQBytes said:

@nicklmg @LinusTech

The issue you're having is a motherboard one, as it needs a compatible BIOS.

I don't remember directly without re-watching other videos which board you are using.

There are some ASUS LGA-2011 (/-3) compatible motherboards, and some ASRock ones with a special BIOS as well. 

https://streamhpc.com/blog/2015-08-01/xeon-phi-knights-corner-compatible-motherboards/

Potential software (driver) source.

https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-manycore-platform-software-stack-mpss#wn38rel

Don't come here often but came here after seeing the video to say this. 

It's likely that the device has a bios which does not work with UEFI (UEFI and BIOS are different things), there should be an option to enable legacy support for devices with non-uefi compatible firmware. Secure boot must also be disabled for this.

PCIe spec shouldn't matter, it should be forward/backward compatible without any changes to either devices firmware.

Knights Corned required special motherboard with custom firmware, plus enable some settings in the BIOS to allow the card to access more PCIe lanes. I believe Intel Crown Pass family with dual Xeon v5 were the only ones compatibles with KNC engineering samples.

None of the KNC engineering samples could be used as video cards. Instead, they had embbedded firmware to run a custom Linux distribution wich was pushed to the card while the driver was being loaded. This driver also creates a Vritual Network interface to the card, so it can be SSHed from the host machine OS.

I'd recomend you to use a machine with Red Hat 6 or similar as the Host OS, instead of Windows plus the drivers that were posted before.

2 hours ago, LAwLz said:

How about plugging the card into a computer with a normal GPU, and see if the computer detects the card at all?

For all we know, the card might be dead. Or maybe look up the code the motherboard spits out. Seems like those would be step 1 and 2 in troubleshooting.

I'm seeing a lot of repeats from the floatplane thread :P

Spoiler

Remember to quote me or tag me to get my attention in a post!

Spoiler

Yukuru (Main rig): G4560 | Copper-cored Stock Cooler | GTX 480 1.5GB | 1x8GB G-Skill Ripjaws DDR4-2800 (Running 2400) | ASRock H110M-STX | 128GB Plextor M6s + 2TB Seagate Barracuda | Delta 120W Power brick (Thanks @iamdarkyoshi) | Custom Case (Build log| MSX

Spoiler

Blast From the Past (Disassembled and decommissioned as of the 7th of December, 2016, you will be missed): Asus A8Js | C2D T7200 @ 2GHz | Nvidia Go 7700 512MB DDR2 | 2x1GB DDR2-667 Kingston RAM | Hitachi TravelStar 5K160 160GB 5400 HDD | Win7 Pro

Spoiler

Laptop: MacBook Pro 13.3 inch late 2013 model i7-4558U (2C/4T @ 3.3GHz Turbo) Intel Iris 5100 graphics (1200MHz boosts) 8GB DDR3-1600 Soldered on 2560 x 1600 display (Looks very nice) Win7 Pro

Spoiler

Box (Brother's Rig): A4 6300 | Stock AMD Cooler | ASRock FM2A88M Extreme4+ | Palit StormX GTX 1050 2GB | 2x4GB >Brand< DDR3-1866 | Crucial BX200 240GB | Aerocool Strike-X 500W | Win7 Home Premium

Spoiler

Spiky Box (Sister's Rig): G3258 | Cooler Master Seidon 120V V2 | Asus Z97 Sabertooth Mark I | KFA2 GTX 560 Ti EX OC | 2x4GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1600 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Corsair CX600 | Aerocool Xpredator X3 Red/Gold edition (My old case) | MSX 

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Whitelist | PSU Tier List F@H stats | Mining Ethereum

BBBBUT CAN IT MINE????

Since I am to lazy to put something interesting here, I will put everything, but slightly abbreviated. Here is everything:

also, some questions to make you wonder about life:

What is I and who is me? Who is you? Which armrest in the movie theatre is yours?

also,

Welcome to the internet, I will be your guide. Or something.

My build:

CPU: Intel Core i5-7400 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor,

Motherboard: ASRock B250M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard, 

Memory: Corsair 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory,

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive, 

Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 480 4GB ARMOR OC Video Card, 

Case: Corsair 100R ATX Mid Tower Case , 

Power Supply: Corsair CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply, 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home Full, 

Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN725N USB 2.0 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter, Case Fan: Corsair Air Series White 2 pack 52.2 CFM  120mm Fan

ou do not ask why, you ask why not -me

Remeber kinds, the only differ between screwing around and scince is writing it down. -Adam Savage.

Only two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not even sure of the former. - Albert Einstein.

So, who dropped it this time?  You or Raja?

VashTheStampede 4.0:

CPU: AMD Threadripper 1950x | CPU Cooling: EKWB S280 with the EK Supremacy sTR4 RGB Nickel Water Block and Scarlet Red Premix | Compound: Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut | Mobo: Asrock X399 Taichi | Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GBs (2x16) DDR4-3200 | Storage: Crucial MX500 500GB M.2-2280 SSD/PNY CS900 240GB SSD/Seagate Constellation ES.3 1TB 7200RPM/Toshiba X300 4TB 7200RPM | GPU: Zotac Geforce GTX 1080 8GB AMP! Edition | Case: Fractal Define R5 Blackout Edition w/Window | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W 80+ Gold | Optical Drive: LG WH14NS40 | Operating System: Windows 10 Pro | Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 with Cherry MX Reds | Mouse: Corsair M65 Pro RGB FPS | Headphones:  AKG K7XX Massdrop Editions | Mic: Audio-Technica ATR2500 | Speakers: Mackie MR624 Studio Monitors

Prince of Dark Rock:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 2200G(Temp/Upping to a Zen 2 CPU) | CPU Cooling: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 | Compound: Thermal Grizzly Kryronaut | Mobo: Asrock x470 Taichi | Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws V 8GBs (2x4) DDR4-3200 | Storage: Crucial MX200 240GB SSD+Seagate Constellation ES.3 1TB 7200RPM | GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6GB 6 GB SSC GAMING  | Case: Fractal Focus G | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W 80+ Gold | Optical Drive: Random HP DVD Drive | Operating System: Windows 10 Home | Keyboard: Gigabyte FORCE K83 with Cherry MX Reds | MouseRazer DeathAdder Elite Destiny 2 Edition Speakers: JBL LSR 305 Studio Monitors(At some point)