Is Fiber Worth It?

GCPMusic

why is there a big buzz for fiber when ADSL and ADSL+ are great

because its faster

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

Is this a troll or something?

Unless you ONLY browse text websites, you can benefit from a fiber connection.

Setup Video -----------Peasant Crushing Specs----------- 4K Benchmarks

-CPU- i7 3930k @4.8GHz 1.4v -Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme -GPUs- 2x GTX Titan Hydrocopper SLI -RAM- 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz -Storage- 500GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2TB WD Green HDD

-Monitors- 3x BenQ XL2420T | 1x Dell U2713HM -Mouse- Steelseries Rival -Keyboard- Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown -Headphones- Audio Techinca ATH-M50 -Microphone- RØDE NT1-A

Yes it is so sweet! Dem download / upload speed! :D 

[CPU: AMD FX-6100 @3.3GHz ] [MoBo: Asrock 970 Extreme4] [GPU: Gigabyte 770 OC ] [RAM: 8GB] [sSD: 64gb for OS] [PSU: 550Watt Be Quiet!] [HDD: 1TB] [CPU cooler: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock Pro Sr1]  -Did i solve your question/problem? Please click 'Marked Solved'-

Faster by a hell of a lot, more reliable, better pings. Speed won't fluctuate.

There's no reason not to have it, it doesn't cost any more to install other than the costs of changing an infrastructure.

@Cacao - No need to talk to him like that, he's asking a question.

Ryzen 5 1500x, Noctua NH-L9x65 SE-AM4, GA-AB350N, 16GB 1600Mhz, EVGA GTX 970, 250GB Samsung 960 Evo, 120GB Samsung 840 Evo, 1TB WD Green & 2TB Seagate Barracuda. 650w OCZ ZX & Cooler Master Elite 130. Acer CB241HQK 4K, LG IPS234V-PN 1080p, Ducky Zero Shine All Blue/Anne Pro Brown/SteelSeries Apex Pro & Razer Naga 2014

why is there a big buzz for fiber when ADSL and ADSL+ are great

YESYESYES!

With ADSL up to 60mbit but its unusually you can get it. but with fiber up to 1 gigabit!½

SWAGSWAGYOLO! GET IT!

[spoiler= Dream machine (There is also a buildlog)]

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe - CPU: I7 5820k @4.4 ghz 1.225vcore - GPU: 2x Asus GTX 970 Strix edition - Mainboard: Asus X99-S - RAM: HyperX predator 4x4 2133 mhz - HDD: Seagate barracuda 2 TB 7200 rpm - SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD - PSU: Corsair HX1000i - Case fans: 3x Noctua PPC 140mm - Radiator fans: 3x Noctua PPC 120 mm - CPU cooler: Fractal design Kelvin S36 together with Noctua PPCs - Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry gaming keyboard - mouse: Steelseries sensei raw - Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud Build Log

Faster by a hell of a lot, more reliable, better pings. Speed won't fluctuate.

There's no reason not to have it, it doesn't cost any more to install other than the costs of changing an infrastructure.

@Cacao - No need to talk to him like that, he's asking a question.

I didn't mean to insult him, I just can't see how someone could think that ADSL is great and fiber is just overhyped or whatever.

Setup Video -----------Peasant Crushing Specs----------- 4K Benchmarks

-CPU- i7 3930k @4.8GHz 1.4v -Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme -GPUs- 2x GTX Titan Hydrocopper SLI -RAM- 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz -Storage- 500GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2TB WD Green HDD

-Monitors- 3x BenQ XL2420T | 1x Dell U2713HM -Mouse- Steelseries Rival -Keyboard- Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown -Headphones- Audio Techinca ATH-M50 -Microphone- RØDE NT1-A

It's faster than Usain Bolt

Fractal R4- 4670k @ 3.4 Ghz- Corsair Vengeance Pro 8gb- 2TB Wd Black- 256 GB Samsung SSD- Cosair 760w PSU- Corsair h80i- ASUS CU II GTX 780- ASUS VI Hero LGA 1150

I didn't mean to insult him, I just can't see how someone could think that ADSL is great and fiber is just overhyped or whatever.

I get what you mean, it's just maybe he doesn't know the difference or has no prior knowledge on the subject. If you can't tolerate noobs, this is the wrong forum for you :P

Ryzen 5 1500x, Noctua NH-L9x65 SE-AM4, GA-AB350N, 16GB 1600Mhz, EVGA GTX 970, 250GB Samsung 960 Evo, 120GB Samsung 840 Evo, 1TB WD Green & 2TB Seagate Barracuda. 650w OCZ ZX & Cooler Master Elite 130. Acer CB241HQK 4K, LG IPS234V-PN 1080p, Ducky Zero Shine All Blue/Anne Pro Brown/SteelSeries Apex Pro & Razer Naga 2014

Other than downloading, uploading, Video Streaming and viewing image heavy websites then it's not worth it.

For gaming you only need around 4.5Mbp/s down and 1Mbp/s upload speed anything higher is a waste.

I have used connections ranging from 0.01Mbp/s all the way up to 10GBp/s and after around 10Mb you really are not going to notice the difference in any meaningful way unless you are doing one of the previously mentioned actions.

I am currently sat on a 120Mb/12Mb connection and the only reason the speed is going to increase is because my ISP is rolling out a free upgrade next year to 150Mb/15Mb.

All that "Fiber" is being used for, by most ISP's is the connection out to the nearest termination node and the main backbone of the network. It's actually quite rare to find a ISP putting Fiber directly in to a residential property but there are some who do it.

My ISP uses Fiber for the connections out to the large termination nodes, then a Co-ax cable to the smaller nodes and then Co-ax to the property and that Co-ax can handle speeds of up to 3.5Gbp/s before needing to go down the Fiber route directly in to the house.

Either way Fiber is banded around to try and make the ISP's look better and jack the price up of the connection.

Core I7 3930K 4.6ghz, Rampage IV Extreme, 16GB Corsair Vengance 1600mhz, GTX 780Ti SLI, Corsair Force 3 240Gb SSD, Asus Xonar DX, Killer Xeno Pro, Phobya Easy Bench V3, Phobya Extreme Nova 1080

no!

jk YES!!!!!!!

work it ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ harder, make it (ง •̀_•́)ง better, do it ᕦ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕤ faster, raise ur ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ donger

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ HARDER, BETTER, FASTER, DONGER! ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ

Its also helpful from a space saving point of view. 

I was on a 7Mb/s connection, so any game took ages. 

Now I'm on 78Mb/s so I can uninstall games under around 3GB, and just install them when I want them really quickly.

Max I've had was 11.9MB/s downloading BF3, it makes it a hell of a lot quicker. (BT Infinity UK)

CPU: 6700k GPU: Zotac RTX 2070 S RAM: 16GB 3200MHz  SSD: 2x1TB M.2  Case: DAN Case A4

I upgraded from 15mbs to 100mbs fiber and it's a really big upgrade.

I never got real 15mbs.. it was really unreliable and slow.. Now I got fast internet that gets as fast as advertised  and I pay less than what I used to pay..

Faster than a fat guy running to catch an ice cream truck.

They move like a train though, nothing can stop them! :P

MSI R9 290 Gaming | MSI Z77 MPower Big Bang | XFX Pro 750W Black Edition | i7-3770k @ 4.5GHz | Corsair H100i | GSkill Ripjaw 2x8Gb | NZXT Phantom 410 Gunmetal | OCZ 128 Gb Vertex 4 | Samsung 250Gb 840 EVO | 1&2 Tb Seagate Barracuda | Logitech G510 | Logitech G700 | Logitech G35 | 3 x LG E2442V
-it24-

Its also helpful from a space saving point of view. 

I was on a 7Mb/s connection, so any game took ages. 

Now I'm on 78Mb/s so I can uninstall games under around 3GB, and just install them when I want them really quickly.

Max I've had was 11.9MB/s downloading BF3, it makes it a hell of a lot quicker. (BT Infinity UK)

Just get a bigger HDD?. I mean you can get 2TB Hardrives pretty cheap now.

Sennheiser HD600 Logitech G304 White Anne Pro 2 LG27UL500

Ryzen 5 3600 + MSI B450i Gaming Plus AC in Fractal Design Nano S

Just get a bigger HDD?. I mean you can get 2TB Hardrives pretty cheap now.

Oh I know that, I just like having my HDDs as empty as I can. Also lets me keep steam cleaner, can find games easier if there is less installed.

Getting a 2TB NAS soon to backup to.

CPU: 6700k GPU: Zotac RTX 2070 S RAM: 16GB 3200MHz  SSD: 2x1TB M.2  Case: DAN Case A4

For gaming you only need around 4.5Mbp/s down and 1Mbp/s upload speed anything higher is a waste.

It should probably be noted this rule really only applies to traditional ISPs and not wireless or mobile ones.

"Unix was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that would also stop you from doing clever things." - Doug Gwyn

I get 80mps down and 15 up yes it ist i can download anything in 10 minutes .

I was on 24 down 2 up now I get 75 down 20 up, my ping is lower and the line quality is better. Its also more stable in my opinion.

Downloading games in 30 mins to an hour is so much better. YouTube is quicker, webpages load stuff like images much faster.

Galaxy: Intel i7 3770k @ 4.5Ghz (Cooled by a h105) - ASUS Sabertooth Z77 - Corsair Vengeance 8gb Ram - Nvidia GTX 780 2 way Sli - Corsair HX850i - Corsair C70

Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Battlefield 4 Collectors Edition (TO BE REPLACED BY K65 RGB) - Logitech G502 - Hyperx Cloud

For pretty much everyone here, yes, Fiber is worth it, but if you just want to watch 720p videos on YouTube, then you'll be fine with 30Mbps

Besides faster speeds, you actually get the speed you pay for. Not to mention the great upload.