Apple faces class action lawsuit over failing Macbook keyboards

Techicolors

A class action lawsuit has been filed recently over an allegedly flawed butterfly-mechanism keyboards of the Macbook models 2016-7. The lawsuit claimed that Apple knew about the defects before or during the product launch of the 2015 Macbook, which debuted the butterfly design. Such repairs out-of-warranty could cost around $700, and Macbook-less for quite a while

The key statement of the lawsuit (and a link to the lawsuit https://www.girardgibbs.com/apple-macbook-pro-keyboard-defect-lawsuit/

Apple’s butterfly keyboard and MacBook are produced and assembled in such a way that when minimal amounts of dust or debris accumulate under or around a key, keystrokes fail to register. The keyboard defect compromises the MacBook’s core functionality.

As a result of the defect, consumers who purchased a MacBook face a constant threat of non-responsive keys and accompanying keyboard failure. When one or more of the keys on the keyboard fail, the MacBook can no longer serve its core function: typing. Thus, when this defect manifests in the MacBook, the computer becomes inoperable and unsuitable for its ordinary and intended use.

According to the filing, "thousands" of MacBook and MacBook Pro owners have experienced some type of failure with Apple's butterfly keyboard, thus rendering the machine useless. Specifically, the suit claims the design is such that small amounts of dust or debris impede normal switch behavior, causing keystrokes to go unregistered.

Some of the plaintiffs involved in the case

One named plaintiff, Zixuan Rao, purchased a new 15-inch MacBook Pro in January and began to experience problems with the laptop's "B" key about a month later. After attempting to clean out the key on his own, Rao ultimately sought help from the Apple store in April. Representatives were unable to fix the issue and suggested repair under Apple's gratis one-year warranty. 

Not able to wait the one week it would take to fix the machine, and unconvinced that a repair would permanently solve the issue, Rao declined the offer and purchased an external keyboard.

A second named plaintiff, Kyle Barbaro, went through a similar experience with his 2016 MacBook Pro. Unlike Rao, Barbaro opted to fix unresponsive space bar and caps lock keys through Apple's repair process, which worked for a few weeks before space bar failed a second time. 

Barbaro returned to his local Apple store, but the Genius Bar representative was unable to solve the issue using conventional tools. As Barbaro's MacBook Pro was at this point out of warranty, he was told it would cost more than $700 to repair. He decided not to pursue the costly fix. 

Apple has attempted to remedy the issue with steps using compressed air to clean the switches underneath the keyboard. But judging from the 40% helpfulness score of the method, it appears it hasn't helped just everybody 

Apple has in some ways acknowledged the problem, though not directly. For example, support documents detail a method of cleaning the keyboard with a can of compressed air, a technique that rarely works, according to those who have experienced serious complications.

The suit seeks 

The suit seek damages, legal fees and demands Apple not only publicly disclose the keyboard design flaw, but pay to remedy or replace defective units. The latter demand includes reimbursement for the purchase of replacement laptops. 

There is also an active petition with more than 17,000 signatures calling out Apple to either remedy or replace defective units, in addition to choice of reimbursement https://9to5mac.com/2018/05/03/macbook-pro-keyboard-petition/

As for my opinion on the matter, i have the 2017 MBP. and yes the keyboard is not so great. I've already had one of the keys act weird and non-responsive and while some compressed air did help, i shouldn't have to go to such lengths to do that. not with a machine that is this expensive. Apple got too obsessive with thinness with this machine. while it looks great aesthetically, functionally it can definitely be better. Looking forward, Apple needs to address this with the upcoming 2018 lineup (and of course with the past models as well) 

Sources: https://appleinsider.com/articles/18/05/11/apple-hit-with-action-suit-over-macbook-macbook-pro-butterfly-keyboard-failures

https://9to5mac.com/2018/05/12/apple-keyboard-lawsuit/

called it.

Now to let it brew for 3 to 5 years while waiting that everyone else moves to the newer mac

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

1 hour ago, suicidalfranco said:

called it.

Now to let it brew for 3 to 5 years while waiting that everyone else moves to the newer mac

yup

apples internal lawyers vs class action

draw it out as long as possible

It'll be like the nutella thing,  5 years later everyone a part of the class action will be entitled to a $4 payout for buying a chocolate spread they thought was healthy.  IN this case it will be the cost difference of the keyboards.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Good, though I doubt anything will happen in any reasonable time frame. The nature of these class-actions is lawyers getting paid. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

5 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Good, though I doubt anything will happen in any reasonable time frame. The nature of these class-actions is lawyers getting paid. 

Even those that tend to keep their devices for a long time (*cough* myself) will probably have to pay to get it repaired well before getting reimbursed by Apple for said repair. And even then, I'm not certain the lawsuit will cover reimbursement of keyboard replacement before the lawsuit took place.

20 minutes ago, mr moose said:

It'll be like the nutella thing,  5 years later everyone a part of the class action will be entitled to a $4 payout for buying a chocolate spread they thought was healthy.  IN this case it will be the cost difference of the keyboards.

Nutella tastes way too good to be healthy. "Too good to be true" comes to mind there. :P

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

1 hour ago, suicidalfranco said:

called it.

Looks like I'll be waiting for the 2018 refresh in WWDC or when Apple decides to go back to scissor switches

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

4 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

Looks like I'll be waiting for the 2018 refresh in WWDC or when Apple decides to go back to scissor switches

The 2017 model supposedly has a much lower rma rate (albeit it's still new). But the total numbers are also still quite low, so it's still too late to really be able to tell how big of a problem the keyboard actually is....the bigger problem is that a keyboard replacement requires the replacement of the entire top case -- hence why it's $700.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

10 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

the bigger problem is that a keyboard replacement requires the replacement of the entire top case -- hence why it's $700

the price alone is unacceptable and crazy

10 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

The price is mostly for labor. The top case is just a keyboard and aluminum. The cost comes from removing every component and putting it back. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

8 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

The price is mostly for labor. The top case is just a keyboard and aluminum. The cost comes from removing every component and putting it back. 

That doesn't change the fact that it's ridiculous for it to cost $700 to replace a switch. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Just now, djdwosk97 said:

That doesn't change the fact that it's ridiculous for it to cost $700 to replace a switch. 

Can't replace a switch without replacing the whole keyboard which is riveted to the top chassis. 

I think the best that will come of this is Apple preemptively starting a repair program at a reduced cost or even free if Apple Wants to settle. Might be cheaper than fighting and then having to pay out. 

It's apple what did y'all expect

Like everyone else is saying their will be a new macbook and this will get swept under the rug.

My profile picure is real. That's what I look like in real life. I'm actually a blue and white African Wild Dog.

Ryzen 9 5900X - MSI Ventus 2x OC 3060 Ti - 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz CL16 - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/ax

EVGA CLC 280 + 2x140mm NF-A14 - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB + WD Black SN750 1TB - Windows 11/10 - EVGA Supernova G3 1000W

24 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Can't replace a switch without replacing the whole keyboard which is riveted to the top chassis. 

That's irrelevant. I shouldn't have to pay $700 to have a $0.01 switch replaced.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

That's irrelevant. I shouldn't have to pay $700 to have a $0.01 switch replaced.

And you’re right. It should be just that easy to replace the switch. But that’s not how the keyboard is designed unfortunately. The only way in is from the bottom and it’s almost impossible to replace just the keyboard without causing serious damage. 

Hence the lawsuit. 

1 hour ago, captain_to_fire said:

Removing the keyboard is a quite painful process, not even counting the disassembly. A rather generous sum of rivets was used in affixing the keyboard to the frame. The price is for the inflicted sadism, aka, pain and suffering.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

So at the cost of a older macbook (with "better" switches)you can fix the current keyboard if it is out of warranty.......

Guess who wont be buying a new macbook

Lololol. Louis Rossmann totally called it :D.

It's a shame that Apple is the only company able to make macOS laptops :(. They totally should do a macOS certification programme to allow other OEMs to make decent macOS devices which aren't shit.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

3 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

They totally should do a macOS certification programme to allow other OEMs to make decent macOS devices which aren't shit.

No they shouldn't. Apple should never dilute and bastardize their own desktop OS by licensing it to PC OEMs because if there's one thing PC OEMs are good at is bundling proprietary crapware to PCs just to keep the price low and use cheapass materials like plastic with faux metal feel, crappy non IPS displays, and shitty trackpads.

macOS should stay on the Mac.

9 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

The third party keyboards cost at least $90 and genuine parts will cost noticeably more, but even then the price is beyond ridiculous. If the parts cost $160 and the repair took an extremely long 6 hours you would still be paying $120/hour for something which on other machines would take 5 minutes. If this is not planned obsolescence what is?

56 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

No they shouldn't. Apple should never dilute and bastardize their own desktop OS by licensing it to PC OEMs because if there's one thing PC OEMs are good at is bundling proprietary crapware to PCs just to keep the price low and use cheapass materials like plastic with faux metal feel, crappy non IPS displays, and shitty trackpads.

If it were sold as a high end machine none of this would be relevant. If Apple had to make a MacBook Air at the price systems with comparable specs are sold at ($1200 -> $400) they would never be able to keep the quality standards they currently have.

1 hour ago, captain_to_fire said:

At least cheapos PC do not see their keyboards break as much usually. I'd rather have a working machine than a beautiful one.

To me the biggest issue with this keyboard is the noise

Dam when more than two people have this keyboard in a small room it drive you literally crazy !

1 hour ago, laminutederire said:

At least cheapos PC do not see their keyboards break as much usually. I'd rather have a working machine than a beautiful one.

Well, neither did Apple keyboards break all that often until the new design showed up.  Apple has a patent for a version of this design that's resistant to dust/crumbs, it's just a question of how practical it is to implement that design in MacBooks going forward (or to switch to another design altogether).

We'll see if they'll still be using the flawed design with the next macbook update if there is an update at all at WWDC.

I'm Batman!

Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Project Xenos: Motherboard: MSI Z170a M9 ACK | CPU: i7 6700k | Ram: G.Skil TridentZ 16GB 3000mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850w G2 | Case: Caselabs SMA8 | Cooling: Custom Loop | Still in progress