Any advice on losing weight?

Cyberspirit

You can start with cutting added sugar out of your diet, and only drinking water or beverages with no sugar/corn syrup.

I lost 25lbs freshman year of college. I'm 5'11", went from 217lb to 192lb.

What I did: counted calories, logged everything I ate and exercised with MyFitnessPal. I did that for about 2 months, got down to 199lb. Then for another 2 months I didn't log, but just based it off of what I did before, but a bit less strict, and got to the 192.

Still trying to go down.

Just watch calories and carbs, and exercise.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

• 4 weeks later...

I think the key is regular trainings. Nutrition also plays an important role. As for me, only when I started to take part in group classes at the Fitstop gym I saw the first results and lost some weight. Now I run every morning and attend the gym 3 times per week to be in good shape. I lost 5 kg!!! It's only in a month.

What people get caught up in is counting calories or working out heaps or whatnot. You need general guidelines to change your life permanently, then the weight loss will follow. 

1) Eat clean. Nice carbohydrates such as brown rice. White meat instead of red, lots of vegetables to fill you up. When you shop be conscious on what you buy. It's also ok to have a little snack every now and then. 

2) Exercise regularly. It's not how many minutes or how many reps etc, It's how often per week. You should average 20 minutes of cardio a day and at least 30-45 minutes of strength exercises per week. Even if its walking every day, it helps a lot. 

3) Drink plenty of water. This helps a lot, but of course not so much that you wee often. Aim for at least 8 cups of water a day. 

Just remember, numbers are not everything. Eat cleanly, with small meals around 200-300 calories 6-8 meals a day evenly spaced. It's not what you do, it's how you do. Running or walking every day instead of a lot once per week for instance is much better for you. In general just think healthy stuff. Habits and good thinking go further, and remember its 70% diet and 20% exercise. 

34 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

What people get caught up in is counting calories or working out heaps or whatnot. You need general guidelines to change your life permanently, then the weight loss will follow. 

1) Eat clean. Nice carbohydrates such as brown rice. White meat instead of red, lots of vegetables to fill you up. When you shop be conscious on what you buy. It's also ok to have a little snack every now and then. 

2) Exercise regularly. It's not how many minutes or how many reps etc, It's how often per week. You should average 20 minutes of cardio a day and at least 30-45 minutes of strength exercises per week. Even if its walking every day, it helps a lot. 

3) Drink plenty of water. This helps a lot, but of course not so much that you wee often. Aim for at least 8 cups of water a day. 

Just remember, numbers are not everything. Eat cleanly, with small meals around 200-300 calories 6-8 meals a day evenly spaced. It's not what you do, it's how you do. Running or walking every day instead of a lot once per week for instance is much better for you. In general just think healthy stuff. Habits and good thinking go further, and remember its 70% diet and 20% exercise. 

Gotta agree here.

I eat quite a lot, but it isn't junkfood.

Besides that when the weather allows it i'll take a hour or-so long walk and when I feel like it get my mountain bike & get to the nearest forest taking a trip through it ;)

When the PC is acting up haunted,

who ya gonna call?
"Monotone voice" : A local computer store.

*Terrible joke I know*

• 4 months later...
Just now, Kvan said:

That's really amazing!! Congrats!

Thanks. Since then I haven't done as much, but down to about 185 now 

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

When I was going through this I stopped drinking sodas and did 3 miles a day.  At first it was walking then jogging then running.  Eventually I could run the three miles without stopping.  I went from 240 to 180lbs over 4 months.  After I lost the weight I started strength training.  I love food so I have to be careful and not find myself in situations I was in when I was over weight.

The main thing to remember is set a goal and stick with it.  I remember how hard it was at first because I wasn't seeing any progress then all of a sudden the weight started coming off. 

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

I guess it's about time I did an Update here but first thank you all for the replies. :)

So far I've lost around 13 Kg which isn't all that much but, I'm very happy that I was able to do this. :D

I've been a lot more active and, I parted with a lot of bad habits like eating for no reason or before bed.

At first, it wasn't all that easy but, after a while, I got used to it.

When the weather allows it, I go out and walk or cycle around town and, to be honest, it made me happier after I've gotten used to moving so much.

Hopefully, I'll be able to lose around 10-12 more through next year.

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

1 hour ago, Cyberspirit said:

I guess it's about time I did an Update here but first thank you all for the replies. :)

So far I've lost around 13 Kg which isn't all that much but, I'm very happy that I was able to do this. :D

I've been a lot more active and, I parted with a lot of bad habits like eating for no reason or before bed.

When the weather allows it, I go out and walk or cycle around town and, to be honest, it made me happier after I've gotten used to moving so much.

That's great! 

Keep it up, especially since you seem to be enjoying it. Don't chase numbers, chase feeling happy and healthy. 

That's an F in the profile pic

2 minutes ago, Froody129 said:

That's great! 

Keep it up, especially since you seem to be enjoying it. Don't chase numbers, chase feeling happy and healthy. 

It does make me very happy because it took me a damn long time to get bored of being lazy and fat but it finally happened :D

On ‎5‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 4:26 PM, Cyberspirit said:

Hey, I want to start losing weight and sort my life out a little bit but, the problem is I have no idea where to start.

So far I stopped drinking sodas and started eating less but, that's about it.

I know that I will need a diet and some sort of physical activity. I was thinking about cycling for example.

It's nice and simple and, not as embarrassing as running or going to a gym.

I don't know where to start so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Update:

Reveal hidden contents

I can only give my testimony, as a martial artist, gym owner, and health nut who started his journey at a firmly obese 340 lbs 10+ years ago.

70% of the shape you desire will be created in the kitchen.  Your diet is uber important if you want to meet your goals.  Now dieting doesn't have to be unfun, it just has to be inline with your goals and NOT a timeframe of dieting.  Healthy is a LIFESTYLE not a race with a finish line.  My preference - I eat healthy all week long, and on the weekends I eat a couple meals that are not in line with my goals - because food is happiness.

30% of the shape you desire will be created in the gym.  Whether that gym is your garage, the pavement, a membership to a gym, your living room and TV instructionals.  Whatever your motivation, you need to exercise.  I prefer Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, so I will preach this.  Because its a skill, fun as F, and something I will be doing till I am 85 or dead.  Because its truly interesting to me.  I hate lifting weights, I abhor running.  However I have done both of those, and still do, just cant bank on them being my catalyst to meeting my goals.

Find a partner to train with.  But first and foremost I highly, highly, highly suggest you look into a Jiu Jitsu dojo in your area.  They are the best people.  Ive been doing it for 10 years, and I have never walked into a BJJ dojo and felt unwelcome or didn't have a blast learning to kill people and getting in shape at the same time.

This is coming from a formerly 6'2" 340 lbs male who is still 6'2" but 240 lbs of shredded goodness.

PLEASE feel free to PM me, give me your state or town and I will absolutely look up dojos in your area if interested and gladly would give you advice on which ones to try out.  All dojos offer at least 1 free class, or up to a free week of training.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

@Tristerin Man, nice job!

I'm not really good with people and, I'm not too keen on fighting so, I think I'll stick with doing stuff alone.

Maybe one day I'll get bored of doing this alone and, I'll find someone to train with as well. :P

Thanks for the offer and the encouragement. :D

Huh i just saw this! this is an amazing thread and may be a good way to start a kinda... "Health" mega thread 

to motivate/help people loose weight which i have been trying to do for the past month

MY MAIN BUILD AT FATHERS HOUSE!

Spoiler

CPU: AMD FX-8300 3.3GHz 8-Core Processor CPU COOLER:  Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P ATX AM3+ Motherboard

RAM: 32gb ddr3

Hard Drive:  Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Graphics Card:  MSI Radeon RX 470 DirectX 12 Radeon RX 470 ARMOR 4G OC 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

Case: Rosewill TYRFING ATX Mid Tower Case

Network Adapter:  TP-Link TL-WN781ND PCI-Express x1 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter

Case Fans:  Corsair Air Series AF140 Quiet Edition 67.8 CFM 140mm Fan (PLUS THE STOCK CASE FAN)

Monitor:  Asus VG248QE 24.0" 1920x1080 144Hz Monitor

Keyboard:  Thermaltake CHALLENGER PRIME Wired Gaming Keyboard

Mouse:  MSI Interceptor DS B1 Wired Optical Mouse

Speakers: Logitech Z200 0W 2ch Speakers

5 minutes ago, Lilninjsways said:

Huh i just saw this! this is an amazing thread and may be a good way to start a kinda... "Health" mega thread 

to motivate/help people loose weight which i have been trying to do for the past month

Good luck man!

For me, it was pretty slow for the first couple months but, after that things changed fast.

I started losing weight pretty fast but, there were some points where it was hard to go lower until some time. I guess my body needed to adjust.

For me I've tried going for healthier versions of things I usually had.

Google "Fakeaway" recipes, or if you do your shopping at iceland (don't know if it's available worldwide?) they do microwaveable slimming world meals if you feel like being lazy.

When making food myself I quite like to make enough for at least 2 days, that way I can still have a day off from cooking.

On 5/12/2018 at 5:26 PM, Cyberspirit said:

Hey, I want to start losing weight and sort my life out a little bit but, the problem is I have no idea where to start.

So far I stopped drinking sodas and started eating less but, that's about it.

I know that I will need a diet and some sort of physical activity. I was thinking about cycling for example.

It's nice and simple and, not as embarrassing as running or going to a gym.

I don't know where to start so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Update:

Reveal hidden contents

I found personally that drinking no more soda and drinking no more alcohol (beer) or only drinking 1 or 2 days a week made a BIG difference. Also cut out sweets and eat more fruits and vegetables.

Exercise is good, but you cannot exercise your way out of a bad diet.

Cycling is a great, cheap and low strain exercise. Try incorporating cycling in your daily routine (biking to work for instance). That will force / encourage you to exercise without spending time or money going to the gym.

Good luck!

22 hours ago, Cyberspirit said:

Good luck man!

For me, it was pretty slow for the first couple months but, after that things changed fast.

I started losing weight pretty fast but, there were some points where it was hard to go lower until some time. I guess my body needed to adjust.

how much have you lost? and what did you cut from your normal meals to help lose weight

Spoiler

CPU: AMD FX-8300 3.3GHz 8-Core Processor CPU COOLER:  Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler

Graphics Card:  MSI Radeon RX 470 DirectX 12 Radeon RX 470 ARMOR 4G OC 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

Case Fans:  Corsair Air Series AF140 Quiet Edition 67.8 CFM 140mm Fan (PLUS THE STOCK CASE FAN)

3 minutes ago, Lilninjsways said:

how much have you lost? and what did you cut from your normal meals to help lose weight

So far, I've lost 13Kg (Was 110 now I'm 97.6 after eating)

All I've done is that I started being more active and I made sure not to eat when it's not necessary.

Replacing sodas with only water helped a lot as well though, I still drink fruit juices every now and then.

I started walking around town and cycling when the weather allows it. I do about an hour and a half walk daily.

If you need some tips then, look around this topic. People had some really good tips. :)

50 minutes ago, Cyberspirit said:

So far, I've lost 13Kg (Was 110 now I'm 97.6 after eating)

All I've done is that I started being more active and I made sure not to eat when it's not necessary.

Replacing sodas with only water helped a lot as well though, I still drink fruit juices every now and then.

I started walking around town and cycling when the weather allows it. I do about an hour and a half walk daily.

If you need some tips then, look around this topic. People had some really good tips. :)

alright :) thanks!

Spoiler