Any advice on losing weight?

Cyberspirit

22 hours ago, valdyrgramr said:

I mean you can drink soda as long as you only intake 1600-1800 calories for your body's needs, but the problem is that it still increases your risk of heart disease.

Dropping soda for me is about all I need to do to lose weight. I really think it affects some more than others. Soda is the one thing that can really make me fat if I'm not careful. 

So I mean I think it's probably a good thing OP dropped soda. 

@Cyberspirit meal prep? I'm starting that since I don't do physical work anymore, don't have time to cook and work a really fucked up schedule. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

5 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

Just wondering, do you drink by serving size or do you just down a lot?  I use to drink 2 liters of fanta then started reading the amount.  The other problem with carbonated drinks is that they can store more water weight on others too.

It's a sugar thing for me. 

Yes I down fuck tons of soda if I want to, but I don't always. A can a day can actually make a difference for me. If I cut out completely vs a little here and there I see a big difference. Oddly coffee with creamer and stuff doesn't seem to affect it much, so that's ok for me, but hot coffee makes my stomach upset often so I tend to resort to soda for caffeine.  

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

You will only gain water weight if you eat loads of sodium otherwise these extra water will be piss out of your body.

Edited by wasab
Edit: quoted the wrong person

Sudo make me a sandwich 

On 5/12/2018 at 10:52 PM, pipnina said:

Provided your body doesn't go into starvation mode (which it would) you could lose half a kilogram a day just from not eating. Natural chemical processes in the body can vary your weight massively in a single day, which is why it is recommended to always weigh yourself at the same time of day.

Say that to my body which dropped 10KG in 2~ weeks :P

Ate about 200kcals/day while walking about 4 miles~/day@4.5mph~ seemed to do the trick. Oh, I continued to drop after that as well, just slightly slower but I was also eating 750-1200kcals/day so not surprising? 

22 hours ago, valdyrgramr said:

If the human body intakes less than 1200 k calories to function it goes into starvation mode.

Oh damn, my body has been in starvation mode for 2~ years, that doesn't sound too good. Maybe that's why I piled on 9KG in 4 months due to eating 1.2-1.7K kcals/day (before, I kept it sub-1K).

On the brightside, although I'm still eating 1.2-1.3K kcals/day, I've started to lose weight again (already went from 65.5~ to 64), which is good as my ideal is 57-58KG with an ideal upper of 60KG. I know my ideal is a little too low for my height (180cm) but it just bothers me when I'm over 60KG. In my defence, 2.5 years ago, I was 85KG, 170cm and was always 'overweight' since I can remember (was a 4.2KG baby xD) meaning every single time I gain weight, my mind goes into "lose weight" mode (which wasn't possible for those 4 months due to a little bit of sleep deprivation and thus constant cravings for sugar).  

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

-Drink a shitload of water

-Walk uphill on a treadmill at ~4mph for like 10 minutes, rest 2 minutes repeat fives times in a session, three times a week

-Do basic BB lifts to failure 4 times a week

-pooshops

-Replace ground beef with ground turkey

-Replace soda with diet soda

-Don't eat anything other than protein after 7pm

-oatmeal for breakfast

That oughta do ya pretty good

I edit the shit out of my posts.  Refresh before you respond.

Here is my advice, don't listen to advice from random strangers on a tech forum.

There is a lot of pseudo-science when it comes to weight loss. A lot of people think their way is the best, despite maybe not having that much science or proof that it actually works.

On 5/13/2018 at 11:55 AM, CCWong said:

That is complete and utter bullshit. Fat is an energy reserve, and 'starvation mode' is bro science garbage.

I won't comment on "Starvation mode", but the comment about the weight of water and muscle being more than fat? Correct.

Water has the density of 997 kg/m³. Human muscle: 1060 kg / m³. Human fat: 900 kg / m³.

What does this mean? Well it means that both Muscle and Water do indeed weigh more than fat does.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

12 hours ago, LAwLz said:

There is a lot of pseudo-science when it comes to weight loss. A lot of people think their way is the best, despite maybe not having that much science or proof that it actually works.

The most sensible comment that I have heard so far in this whole discussion :-D

A good way is to cook all your food, and I don't mean microwave. Learn to cook from scratch. if you really sit there and cook alot, not only will your food tend to be healthier than processed junk, but you will literally be exercising to make your food! Don't believe me? Try making pasta from scratch, kneading the dough, rolling the dough and cutting it, and tell me you're not tired

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

5 minutes ago, Christophe Corazza said:

The most sensible comment that I have heard so far in this whole discussion :-D

Indeed - going to see a registered dietitian or other health professional is going to give the OP the most tailored way to achieve his weight goals. Other then that?

For the people advocating for heavy exercise, they aren't looking at the research and science that says heavy exercise is not the way to go.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Just train like saitama and it won't really matter what you eat

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Just now, Yoinkerman said:

Just train like saitama and it won't really matter what you eat

For a short time, yes. But extreme exercise with no dietary change is a recipe for disaster. It's quite simply, unsustainable over the long term. Plus you have to exercise like crazy to lose a bunch of weight, assuming you still have your old eating habits.

Just now, valdyrgramr said:

Well, calorie counting is common knowledge to work, but figuring the right amount on your own can be problematic due to various factors.  The problem with heavy exercise is that can do more damage to the body than good.  I do agree that it is better to ask a doctor what is right for you.  A lot of people also don't realize that when they're losing an excessive amount of weight, even in a healthy way, it's usually water weight, not fat.  Your body is far more limited to losing fat compared to muscle and water. 

That's true - but even still, research indicates that Exercise has little impact with long term weight loss.

People should exercise for it's other health benefits, but long term weight loss is not one of them.

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

For a short time, yes. But extreme exercise with no dietary change is a recipe for disaster. It's quite simply, unsustainable over the long term. Plus you have to exercise like crazy to lose a bunch of weight, assuming you still have your old eating habits.

Yeah if you're huge maybe.  Most people are just chubby

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

On 5/12/2018 at 6:00 PM, DrMacintosh said:

As long as you burn more calories than you eat you will lose weight. 

Doesn't work that way since you can't actually count calories and nutrients as simply as the FDA would like you to believe. Your body will also conserve what it doesn't take in by reducing muscle before it reduces adipose tissue. 

Just to add to @captain_to_fire's list: Best way to lose weight is by undergoing ketosis by eliminating excess sugars and reducing proteins into usable sugars (ketones). This generally causes the body to start utilizing fats as energy and structural components more readily once simple sugars are exhausted. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Just now, Yoinkerman said:

Yeah if you're huge maybe.  Most people are just chubby

Yeah and if you're "chubby", you're probably eating a lot of calories. If you continue to eat the same amount of calories, you'll need to exercise a lot to balance it out. And keeping that exercise up for weeks, months, years, decades?

Moderate amounts of exercise per week is good for your health and your life expectancy. But it won't help much for keeping weight loss long term. It won't hurt either (assuming you are just doing moderate amounts), but exercise is not the key factor in weight loss.

Cut your diet in half, workout, eat after you work out, drink more water. 

Pretty simple, you just have to do. 

On 5/12/2018 at 5:19 PM, captain_to_fire said:

eat avocados if you can

I wouldn't wish that upon my enemies.

On 5/12/2018 at 6:28 PM, pipnina said:

If only broccoli were as tasty as sugar.

Do you just boil/steam it? If yes, try grilling it. Broccoli, and most veggies, lose nutrients and taste when boiled/steamed.

On 5/12/2018 at 5:45 PM, Canada EH said:

you need to never drink cola

you need to never ingest sugar

You can be healthy and drink soda/eat sugary foods. There's this thing called moderation.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

On 5/13/2018 at 5:35 PM, Cyberspirit said:

Are avocados really that healthy?

While i'm always skeptical when a new hipster health trend buzz words like "superfood", I can attest that avocados helped me lose weight. It's a good source of unsaturated fatty acids that is good for the heart which may help lower cholesterol levels but also, it improves satiety. Whenever avocados are in season, I often buy them and add eat them raw or add it to my shakes. Tip for storing avocados, they ripe and spoil quickly so make sure you only buy what you can eat and refrigerate them immediately after.

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

2 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

I wouldn't wish that upon my enemies.

I love them...in my mouth :P

1 minute ago, captain_to_fire said:

I love them...in my mouth :P

This means you've tried them in other areas... and found it "unappealing"... You vegephiliac! 

Spoiler

What's the sexual fetish for fruit? 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

Just now, ARikozuM said:

This means you've tried them in other areas... and found it "unappealing"... You vegephiliac! 

Reveal hidden contents

What's the sexual fetish for fruit? 

Some spas are offering avocado facials which I'd choose over the gold film facial xD

Spoiler

I rebuke your thinking about putting the humble fruit named avocado in other body parts especially body orifices other than the mouth, which starts when the incisors, canines and molars macerate it and propelled down to the esophagus by the tongue. 

2 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

Some spas are offering avocado facials which I'd choose over the gold film facial xD

Hide contents

I rebuke your thinking about putting the humble fruit named avocado in other body parts especially body orifices other than the mouth, which starts when the incisors, canines and molars macerate it and propelled down to the esophagus by the tongue. 

So you're admitting that you tongue your luscious fruits before devouring them? 

I prefer papayas to avocados though. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

On 13/05/2018 at 7:32 PM, valdyrgramr said:

While the name is not the best used/dramatic people misunderstand starvation mode.  The thing is the human body needs a set of its own intake to burn in order to function properly.  When you go under that point what happens is you start to lose more muscle than fat, your metabolism decreases more than it should, and you can develop other health issues.  

Here it is explained more.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/calorie-counting-made-easy

Now, if you were to choose to go under that 1200 point you should talk to a doctor first rather than just doing it.  Chris Hemsworth went down to 500 per day to look extra "skinny" for a movie. 

screen%20shot%202013-03-22%20at%2010.33.

^Christian Bale doing the same thing for a movie where all he ate was a can of tuna and an apple a day. 

Access to clenbuterol and other gear also helps.

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti