2 Noctua Fans on a GTX 1080ti // Results UPDATED

Go to solution Solved by wildgg,
On 8/1/2018 at 3:20 AM, A1Mike_W said:

You tried repasting the gpu die? There's not a single GPU i've repasted that didn't drop 5-20c, even the "high-end" cards I'd expect to have good paste. Would be nice to see how much of an improvement you see coupled with this mod

so it's been a while and i had some time left to re-paste the card with the current mods etc but the case has changed since then.

Thermal paste used was Gelid GC-Extreme, PC case has been changed to the Fractal Meshify C (link in my signature for the complete build).

i like to note a couple of things here before the results, before changing cases as you can see in the first post i used the Define S with 3x 140mm blowing air into the case, now in the Meshify C i have a front mounted radiator with 3x NF-F12's at 1000RPM. so keep in mind that we can even can get better temps without that front mounted radiator.

So on these results you will be seeing, i redid testing so do not compare these temps with the one in the original post!

Before is with the stock paste that ASUS puts on the card and After is with the Gelid Paste.

Like you can see in the graphs i also undervolted the card to 0.950 at 1900mhz, this is my daily setting.

Test used was Valley benchmark at ExtremeHD preset 1080P

Idle temps didn't really change but they also don't really matter imo.

Load we went from 60C down to 55C! that's a 5C drop so not to bad.

Score in the Valley benchmark went from 5988 to 6041,i know this isn't huge but it's something.

Thank you for all the views and replies on this post i didn't think it would get this out of hand!

this is most likely the last update/upgrade/mod i will do on this card and leave it be for a long time.

thank you for reading and hopefully this topic will help others out!

MSy2CCF.png

Hey LTT

For a while now i wanted to lower the temps on my GTX 1080ti From Asus and didn't want to go with a AIO on the GPU, it is the OC Strix version with the triple fans.

You can do this mod yourself if you have 2 decent 120mm fans.

I used 2x Noctua NF-F12's

This will not void your warranty unless you break something your self, so you don't need to break/remove any stickers but all you need to do is remove all the small screws that are holding the shroud and fans in place.

This is not going to be a tutorial but just some results i got.

Before=with the stock Asus Strix cooler

After = with the 2 Noctua fans.

24C ambient temp

Noctua Fans are locked on 80% = 1150rpm and they are very quiet, only at 100% they get noticeable for me.

Valley Benchmark on maxed settings 1080p  CLICK HERE  for screenshot.

Before max temp: 73C

After    max temp: 64C

5Hours of gaming. mainly PUBG,why PUBG? because it's actually a very realistic test and the game is not easy to run at high frame rates. CLICK HERE for screenshot.

Before max temp: 71C

After   max temp: 61C

Zip ties were used to secure the fans, this was very easy to do since there is a metal bracket on the heat sink to secure them to.

CLICK HERE (album) For all the pictures i made along the way

I don't mind the look actually but the stock Strix cooler is nicer if i'm going to be honest.

in the end it was worth it, i'm very happy with the temps and how quiet my system now is under full load.

If you're going to do this yourself you can expect about a 8/10C Drop. (depending on the Fan Quality and rpm's you use and Case airflow helps allot to)

Let me know what you think!

If you have any questions or requests for benchmarks let me know!

NZmJqZi.jpg

I2WbYbd.jpg

Recent build: Fractal Design - Torrent reviewMeshify C / The 1080TI Strix Noctua modDefine S X58 Xeon build  / Specs: i7-14700KF 5.8Ghz - ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 - G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB 4000mhz CL18 -  Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X d4 - Torrent Fractal Design white - EVGA 850W Supernova G2 80+ Gold - Noctua D15

buys $1000 GPU

uses ty-wraps to attach fans o.O

In all seriousness, some nice results, how is the noise now? 

Put it on water xD

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

2 minutes ago, stealth80 said:

buys $1000 GPU

uses ty-wraps to attach fans o.O

In all seriousness, some nice results, how is the noise now? 

Put it on water xD

Yup i'm crazy like that haha!

yeah i was hoping for a 5C drop but 10C is very good.

also like to note that normally my room temp is not 24C lol, it's just hot this time of the year, so it would run a bit cooler normally

the noise is WAY better then before with the strix cooler.

the strix cooler would ramp up to 1700/1800rpm to keep it around 70C and it got pretty loud.

Noctua fans are just great! nothing much to say about them just amazing.

i had a custom loop before with a 1070 but i'm not going full loop every again, just not my thing i guess :P

Recent build: Fractal Design - Torrent reviewMeshify C / The 1080TI Strix Noctua modDefine S X58 Xeon build  / Specs: i7-14700KF 5.8Ghz - ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 - G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB 4000mhz CL18 -  Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X d4 - Torrent Fractal Design white - EVGA 850W Supernova G2 80+ Gold - Noctua D15

Would be difficult to fit two cards.  But then again I’d prolly have blowers. 

Does the strix not have the regular fan headers on it?

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

1 hour ago, Mick Naughty said:

Would be difficult to fit two cards.  But then again I’d prolly have blowers. 

Does the strix not have the regular fan headers on it?

sli going to be an issue ye:P

yes the card has 2x 4pins on the back, but i wanted to have the fans ramp up and down with the cpu temps.

i basically have all my fans ramp up at the same time rather than separate if that makes sense

GPUs run hotter than CPUs. You we and the GPU controlling it's fan speed.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

1 hour ago, asand1 said:

GPUs run hotter than CPUs. You we and the GPU controlling it's fan speed.

not always, most cpu's run pretty hot

GPU is not controlling my fan speeds

what is your point exactly?

Very nice mod, thank you. Looks like the fans are connected to different mobo headers, what are you using to control the speed?

Edit:

Now what AIB partner will do a deal with Noctua!

Forgive me El Guapo. I know that I, Jefe, do not have your superior intellect and education...

46 minutes ago, Gix7Fifty said:

Very nice mod, thank you. Looks like the fans are connected to different mobo headers, what are you using to control the speed?

Edit:

Now what AIB partner will do a deal with Noctua!

thank you! glad you like it

i use the pwm control in the bios, the fans run at 60% all the time and will ramp up to 80% when temps go up.

now i don't know what's behind the scenes to make GPU coolers/create your own brand of cards, with that said i think it would be awesome if noctua produced their own GPU coolers.

they have cpu coolers so they obviously know how to create amazing heatsinks+fans.

Apparently autocorrect took over. GPU s can run as hot as 90c while the CPU is considerably cooler depending on programs/games. If this condition occurs your GPU can cook while the fans aren't ramping up because the CPU is not requesting more fan speed. If you care for the life of your GPU you should use the GPU temp to control your fans.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

23 minutes ago, asand1 said:

Apparently autocorrect took over. GPU s can run as hot as 90c while the CPU is considerably cooler depending on programs/games. If this condition occurs your GPU can cook while the fans aren't ramping up because the CPU is not requesting more fan speed. If you care for the life of your GPU you should use the GPU temp to control your fans.

both fans are setup to run a min of 60% so they can't even go below that. with 60% fan speed the card won't even go over 70C so no issue here

they ramp up to 80% when the CPU goes above 50C this way i have a nice and quiet system.

Meh, most of my games run my cpu at 100% or high 90’s. Leaving them to run around 60c or higher. My cards don’t even run that hot on air. Depends on a million things to compare to evenly. 

Id rather run them off the card regardles. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

5 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

Meh, most of my games run my cpu at 100% or high 90’s. Leaving them to run around 60c or higher. My cards don’t even run that hot on air. Depends on a million things to compare to evenly. 

Id rather run them off the card regardles. 

what ever you prefer man, running them of the card is nice if you want the software control i gues

i don't want to have multiple fans ramp up and down at different times that's all :P

Just now, wildthing said:

what ever you prefer man, running them of the card is nice if you want the software control i gues

i don't want to have multiple fans ramp up and down at different times that's all :P

Well I don't ramp up my fans. They sit at 30% all the time or 40%. Depends on the rig. 

Software is controlling them regardless of what you do. 

• 2 months later...
On 2018-05-12 at 4:10 PM, wildthing said:

Hey LTT

For a while now i wanted to lower the temps on my GTX 1080ti From Asus and didn't want to go with a AIO on the GPU, it is the OC Strix version with the triple fans.

You can do this mod yourself if you have 2 decent 120mm fans.

I used 2x Noctua NF-F12's

This will not void your warranty unless you break something your self, so you don't need to break/remove any stickers but all you need to do is remove all the small screws that are holding the shroud and fans in place.

This is not going to be a tutorial but just some results i got.

Before=with the stock Asus Strix cooler

After = with the 2 Noctua fans.

24C ambient temp

Noctua Fans are locked on 80% = 1150rpm and they are very quiet, only at 100% they get noticeable for me.

Valley Benchmark on maxed settings 1080p  CLICK HERE  for screenshot.

Before max temp: 73C

After    max temp: 64C

5Hours of gaming. mainly PUBG,why PUBG? because it's actually a very realistic test and the game is not easy to run at high frame rates. CLICK HERE for screenshot.

Before max temp: 71C

After   max temp: 61C

Zip ties were used to secure the fans, this was very easy to do since there is a metal bracket on the heat sink to secure them to.

CLICK HERE (album) For all the pictures i made along the way

I don't mind the look actually but the stock Strix cooler is nicer if i'm going to be honest.

in the end it was worth it, i'm very happy with the temps and how quiet my system now is under full load.

If you're going to do this yourself you can expect about a 8/10C Drop. (depending on the Fan Quality and rpm's you use and Case airflow helps allot to)

Let me know what you think!

If you have any questions or requests for benchmarks let me know!

NZmJqZi.jpg

I2WbYbd.jpg

I wanna try this! I've got the exact same 2 fans and can't wait to see the results.

Is your 8-10°C drop in comparison to the the stock fan curve of the strix fans? Also, was your GPU clocks at stock, or manually OCd?

Thanks!

10 hours ago, denadacanada said:

I wanna try this! I've got the exact same 2 fans and can't wait to see the results.

Is your 8-10°C drop in comparison to the the stock fan curve of the strix fans? Also, was your GPU clocks at stock, or manually OCd?

Thanks!

yes, The Strix fan curve maxed out at 45% and if i remember correctly that was about 1600rpm

GPU clocks were tested on the OC mode in gpu tweak, in my case this was 1987mhz

You tried repasting the gpu die? There's not a single GPU i've repasted that didn't drop 5-20c, even the "high-end" cards I'd expect to have good paste. Would be nice to see how much of an improvement you see coupled with this mod

Very nice results you got there. I myself use the NH-D15 on my gpu now after moving from something similar to what you did here.

Getting around 50ish temps on PUBG and Fortnite using my 1080ti on the noctua cooler

@wildthing Very nice mod, any idea if I could do something similar with an NF-P14 on my Gigabyte 1060 3gb Windforce?

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

10 hours ago, A1Mike_W said:

i have not replaced the paste, main reason is the card is somewhat new and didn't want to break warranty yet, replacing the fans doesn't break my warranty.

but i will 100% replace the paste at some point.

8 hours ago, Bcat00 said:

Very nice results you got there. I myself use the NH-D15 on my gpu now after moving from something similar to what you did here.

Getting around 50ish temps on PUBG and Fortnite using my 1080ti on the noctua cooler

thank you! same to you as well, those temps are up with liquid cooling

with the noctua fans running at 80% (1150rpm) i see max temps around 65C, normally this is a bit lower since it is really hot around this time of year and i also have a front mounted radiator in my build.

8 hours ago, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

@wildthing Very nice mod, any idea if I could do something similar with an NF-P14 on my Gigabyte 1060 3gb Windforce?

you probably could get it working but even a 120mm fan hangs over the heatsink so i would stick with 120mm fans if you want to do a mod like this.

also the 120mm fans are a bit easier to mount on a card

• 2 months later...

@wildthing

DONE!!! You are the man for sharing this with the community!!!

I have non-Ti version of your card, ROG-STRIX-GTX1080-O8G-GAMING. I ran the same benchmarks you did with the same program. Set to "ExtremeHD" minus AA. Prior to alteration max temp, on OC mode (2088MHz), was 77c. Its also noted that I had two EXT fans plugged in drawing out the heat from above. In the alteration I used two Noctua NF-F12 PWM fans I had left over from when I built my custom chassis. After alteration, i love the zipties, max temp only reached 65c. WTF?!?! HELLS YEAH!!! 80% and i can barely hear them.

Instead of running the new fans through the bios or Fan Xpert4 (Asus software), I just plugged them into the two EXT ports on the side of my GTX1080. I control them through Asus GPU TweakII software.

Funny sht...the wife said I was doin some redneck mods, lmfao.

15 hours ago, HAAS said:

@wildthing

DONE!!! You are the man for sharing this with the community!!!

I have non-Ti version of your card, ROG-STRIX-GTX1080-O8G-GAMING. I ran the same benchmarks you did with the same program. Set to "ExtremeHD" minus AA. Prior to alteration max temp, on OC mode (2088MHz), was 77c. Its also noted that I had two EXT fans plugged in drawing out the heat from above. In the alteration I used two Noctua NF-F12 PWM fans I had left over from when I built my custom chassis. After alteration, i love the zipties, max temp only reached 65c. WTF?!?! HELLS YEAH!!! 80% and i can barely hear them.

Instead of running the new fans through the bios or Fan Xpert4 (Asus software), I just plugged them into the two EXT ports on the side of my GTX1080. I control them through Asus GPU TweakII software.

Funny sht...the wife said I was doin some redneck mods, lmfao.

Welcome to the forum!

Awesome to hear you got some good results with this mod!

if you're interested in lowering the temps even more, read and look up videos about Undervolting your card.

it's really worth getting into imo

• 3 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, SmileAsTheyDie said:

What case are you using in this? Is it the Define S?

Yes, that's the Define S. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.