2 Noctua Fans on a GTX 1080ti // Results UPDATED

Go to solution Solved by wildgg,
On 8/1/2018 at 3:20 AM, A1Mike_W said:

You tried repasting the gpu die? There's not a single GPU i've repasted that didn't drop 5-20c, even the "high-end" cards I'd expect to have good paste. Would be nice to see how much of an improvement you see coupled with this mod

so it's been a while and i had some time left to re-paste the card with the current mods etc but the case has changed since then.

Thermal paste used was Gelid GC-Extreme, PC case has been changed to the Fractal Meshify C (link in my signature for the complete build).

i like to note a couple of things here before the results, before changing cases as you can see in the first post i used the Define S with 3x 140mm blowing air into the case, now in the Meshify C i have a front mounted radiator with 3x NF-F12's at 1000RPM. so keep in mind that we can even can get better temps without that front mounted radiator.

So on these results you will be seeing, i redid testing so do not compare these temps with the one in the original post!

Before is with the stock paste that ASUS puts on the card and After is with the Gelid Paste.

Like you can see in the graphs i also undervolted the card to 0.950 at 1900mhz, this is my daily setting.

Test used was Valley benchmark at ExtremeHD preset 1080P

Idle temps didn't really change but they also don't really matter imo.

Load we went from 60C down to 55C! that's a 5C drop so not to bad.

Score in the Valley benchmark went from 5988 to 6041,i know this isn't huge but it's something.

Thank you for all the views and replies on this post i didn't think it would get this out of hand!

this is most likely the last update/upgrade/mod i will do on this card and leave it be for a long time.

thank you for reading and hopefully this topic will help others out!

MSy2CCF.png

Did the same mod last winter on my 1070ti duke, dropped 8c on my temps. Ignore the loopy tywrap thats now fixed lol

p4w7vsptfte11.jpg

20180331-194404.jpg

13 hours ago, SmileAsTheyDie said:

I would be interested in seeing the difference when using A12x25 fans

like Wooden already said, it is indeed the Define S, now i'm using the Meshify C

if they come in black i'll try them for sure

i don't think it will be a huge difference and here is why i think that is,

most fans on GPU coolers don't have a shroud to direct the airflow onto the heatsink and therefore losing pressure, most/pretty much all GPU coolers have one big shroud for the looks and that's it, also the fan blade design plays a big role.

main reason this mod works well is because the air is better forced onto the heatsink because of the shrouds around 120mm fans and fan designs.

also having a bigger fan (in this case 120mm) helps allot as well.

i haven't looked up allot of test results between the NF-F12 vs A12x25 but i think at most you can see a 2C difference if i had to guess.

7 hours ago, hellbent said:

Did the same mod last winter on my 1070ti duke, dropped 8c on my temps. Ignore the loopy tywrap thats now fixed lol

Nice! looks good

Recent build: Fractal Design - Torrent reviewMeshify C / The 1080TI Strix Noctua modDefine S X58 Xeon build  / Specs: i7-14700KF 5.8Ghz - ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 - G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB 4000mhz CL18 -  Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X d4 - Torrent Fractal Design white - EVGA 850W Supernova G2 80+ Gold - Noctua D15

• 2 weeks later...

This was a life saver for my Zotac Geforce 970 AMP! whose 3 fans stock fans killed over two weeks or so ago.

Zotac-GTX-970-Omega-Core-Edition-15.jpg?

Before the fans died I could run Ghost Recon Wild Lands for hours and 100% fan speed it would never go above 65*C.

Tried after the fans died and the card -basically just a heatsink cooled card & it neared 80*C in under an hour.

After some trial and error and A LOT of help from here at LTT:

I put two Noctua NF-F12's zip tied to the card's heatsink and then zip tied a Noctua NF-A12 at the back of the card perpendicular to the fans -making a L shape:

1115629771_GRAPHICSCARDFANSOVERLOAD.thumb.jpg.1e2e201fb48150158e4fb0f2a3a2416c.jpg

This of course makes the fitting of the whole card in the case very tight.

Not to mention having removed the back plate metal bars that seperate different cards and putting another exhaust fan there.

As well as having another case fan pulling air in the very front of the case and cutting a metal hole in the side panel and a NF-12 there as well pushing air in to this area.

After all of this I can now run Ghost Recon Wild Lands and no matter what I do can't even get it to reach 55*C burps into 52*C rarely!

So it comes to a 26*C - 28*C reduction when under heavy load vs heatsink alone.

And a 10*C-15*C reduction over the default fans that the card came with.

Will do this instantly to any graphics card I get in the future -stock shroud and fans straight to the trash!

Thank you for this DYI.

Current computers:

Primary Computer (In Progress):

Spoiler

SUBJECT TO CHANGE

CASE: ROSEWIL THOR V2 Black

CPU:

Motherboard:

GPU: SAPPHIRE VEGA 56 -TBU RTX 2070 SUPER

RAM: 48 GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX
PSU: SEASONIC PRIME 1300 W GOLD

STORAGE: 4x SEAGATE EXOS 4TB | Sans Digital HDD 5-Bay Rack | Sisun IDE SATA HDD Docking Station 

SOUND SYSTEM: Logitech Z506 Surround Sound via Vantec USB External 7.1 Channel Audio Adapter  

MOUSE: 16000DPI GAMING MOUSE

KEYBOARD: -PENDING-

MONITOR: -PENDING- AOC AGON AG241QX 24" -PENDING-

COOLING:  CPU: Noctua NH-D15 -3x NF-F12 Fan MOD || 10-12X NF-F12 || EXHAUST: 3x NA-A12x25

LAST UPDATED 4/29/20

Secondary Computer:

Spoiler

CPU: AMD FX-8370 Black Edition 

Motherboard: ASUS M5A97 R2.0

GPU: Zotac GeForce GTX 970 AMP! Omega Core Edition 

RAM: 24GB Kingston HyperX Savage 1600MHz DDR3
PSU: Antec High Current Gamer HCG-900W

STORAGE: 5x Western Digital Black 2TB - WD2003FZEX | Sans Digital HDD 5-Bay Rack | Sisun IDE SATA HDD Docking Station 

SOUND SYSTEM: Logitech Z506 Surround Sound via Vantec USB External 7.1 Channel Audio Adapter  

MOUSE: PUREX 2400 DPI Wired Laser Gaming Mouse

KEYBOARD: DBPOWER 104 Key -3 Backlit -I KNOW! Linus doesn't approve -I have glued it to the desk and it works well for my needs.

MONITOR: ASUS VS247H-P 24 Inch 

COOLING: CPU: Noctua NH-D14 -3x NF-F12 Fan MOD || 10-12X NF-F12 || EXHAUST: 3x NA-A12x25

GRAPHICS: 2x NF12s fans on graphics card + 2x NF-F12s & 1x NA-A12x25 in Fan box | 1x Vantec SP-FC70-BL Spectrum System Fan Cards

On 10/27/2018 at 11:31 AM, wildthing said:

i haven't looked up allot of test results between the NF-F12 vs A12x25 but i think at most you can see a 2C difference if i had to guess.

Nice! looks good

If what I have learned is correct or I am not confused -the results may actually be worse with the A12 as the mains on the heatsink:

On 10/25/2018 at 2:18 PM, kingknightrider said:

If an exhaust fan is put in the front of the computer would it be basically working in reverse and pulling more air in than a regular case fan?.

NF- A12's usually are referred to as Exhaust fans.

NF- F12's are usually are referred to as Pressure fans.

On 10/25/2018 at 3:44 PM, Jurrunio said:

it (NF-A) can pull air but not as well as pressure fans (NF-F) because most cases have air filters on the intakes. Not sure about yours though

On 10/26/2018 at 6:38 AM, kingknightrider said:

Air filters?

You mean the plastic plate on the front that has this mesh or the metal mesh in the back for the exhaust fan?

Removed the plastic plate from the front and cut out the metal mesh in the back.

If that is the air filters to which are referred what would be the case without them?

Would the A series be good all around then or still be better for the F series to pull in the air?

On 10/26/2018 at 12:32 PM, Jurrunio said:

or dust filter. whatever you call them.

that's the front panel

A series have lower pressure than F series, so not as good in forcing air through obstacles

On 10/26/2018 at 2:11 PM, kingknightrider said:

But just as good without obstacles as the F series?

On 10/26/2018 at 2:41 PM, Jurrunio said:

a little better in that case actually, but not much

Current computers:

Spoiler

SUBJECT TO CHANGE

CPU:

Motherboard:

STORAGE: 4x SEAGATE EXOS 4TB | Sans Digital HDD 5-Bay Rack | Sisun IDE SATA HDD Docking Station 

COOLING:  CPU: Noctua NH-D15 -3x NF-F12 Fan MOD || 10-12X NF-F12 || EXHAUST: 3x NA-A12x25

LAST UPDATED 4/29/20

Secondary Computer:

Spoiler

STORAGE: 5x Western Digital Black 2TB - WD2003FZEX | Sans Digital HDD 5-Bay Rack | Sisun IDE SATA HDD Docking Station 

KEYBOARD: DBPOWER 104 Key -3 Backlit -I KNOW! Linus doesn't approve -I have glued it to the desk and it works well for my needs.

COOLING: CPU: Noctua NH-D14 -3x NF-F12 Fan MOD || 10-12X NF-F12 || EXHAUST: 3x NA-A12x25

GRAPHICS: 2x NF12s fans on graphics card + 2x NF-F12s & 1x NA-A12x25 in Fan box | 1x Vantec SP-FC70-BL Spectrum System Fan Cards

9 hours ago, kingknightrider said:

If what I have learned is correct or I am not confused -the results may actually be worse with the A12 as the mains on the heatsink:

Nice to see you got good result on your card!

just to be clear there's a difference between the Noctua A12 and A12x25.

the A12x25 is the newer/beter version of the NF F12 also optimized for static pressure.

Recent build: Fractal Design - Torrent reviewMeshify C / The 1080TI Strix Noctua modDefine S X58 Xeon build  / Specs: i7-14700KF 5.8Ghz - ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 - G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB 4000mhz CL18 -  Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X d4 - Torrent Fractal Design white - EVGA 850W Supernova G2 80+ Gold - Noctua D15

4 hours ago, wildthing said:

Nice to see you got good result on your card!

just to be clear there's a difference between the Noctua A12 and A12x25.

the A12x25 is the newer/beter version of the NF F12 also optimized for static pressure.

Thank you.

This fan:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07C5VG64V/

?

UGH.

I got two of those.

I should have inverted the fans.

The installation was a hassle though -3 hours just trying to seat the card -ugh.

The chore of switching it though not worth it -nor the broke zip ties.

Though not the fans nor the cards problem -all issue with the heatsink on the motherboard:

HEATSINK.jpg.5408e16c3bc8eda4b9902fb94d078ccc.jpg

Could not see without removing the motherboard from case -a task harder than installing the card with the fans.

So hours of trial and error but now extremely content.

Idle temps for both CPU and GPU sitting right at 30*C.

Current computers:

Spoiler

SUBJECT TO CHANGE

CPU:

Motherboard:

LAST UPDATED 4/29/20

Secondary Computer:

Spoiler

I did this with a 960. The simple fact is, if you're willing to give up space in your case you can get significantly better GPU temps (on air) and significantly lower noise levels by removing the stock cooler and putting on a couple of 120mm fans. That 960 with a blower used to hit 70C+. Now with the 120mm fan it barely hits 60c. 

• 1 month later...
On 8/1/2018 at 3:20 AM, A1Mike_W said:

You tried repasting the gpu die? There's not a single GPU i've repasted that didn't drop 5-20c, even the "high-end" cards I'd expect to have good paste. Would be nice to see how much of an improvement you see coupled with this mod

so it's been a while and i had some time left to re-paste the card with the current mods etc but the case has changed since then.

Thermal paste used was Gelid GC-Extreme, PC case has been changed to the Fractal Meshify C (link in my signature for the complete build).

i like to note a couple of things here before the results, before changing cases as you can see in the first post i used the Define S with 3x 140mm blowing air into the case, now in the Meshify C i have a front mounted radiator with 3x NF-F12's at 1000RPM. so keep in mind that we can even can get better temps without that front mounted radiator.

So on these results you will be seeing, i redid testing so do not compare these temps with the one in the original post!

Before is with the stock paste that ASUS puts on the card and After is with the Gelid Paste.

Like you can see in the graphs i also undervolted the card to 0.950 at 1900mhz, this is my daily setting.

Test used was Valley benchmark at ExtremeHD preset 1080P

Idle temps didn't really change but they also don't really matter imo.

Load we went from 60C down to 55C! that's a 5C drop so not to bad.

Score in the Valley benchmark went from 5988 to 6041,i know this isn't huge but it's something.

Thank you for all the views and replies on this post i didn't think it would get this out of hand!

this is most likely the last update/upgrade/mod i will do on this card and leave it be for a long time.

thank you for reading and hopefully this topic will help others out!

MSy2CCF.png

• 1 year later...

Hi Guys! 

Because of this thread and it happens that one of my GPU (Zotac GTX 1080 TI AMP) fan blade is broken during cleaning.

I'm successfully managed to replaced the fans with Corsair SP120 High performance edition PWM 2,350 RPM.

Before the maximum GPU temperature is around 87C and now is its 75-80C.

Playing Call Of Duty: Warzone @ 4K resolution. 

Thanks for this thread :)

20200513_143058.jpg