Heavy Sleeper

DannyTechTips

For the past few weeks, I've been sleeping a lot more than usual. Whenever I get sleepy, I go straight to bed but also forget to shut off my PC. So instead it goes into sleep-mode. This worries me because there might be a significant increase in my electric bill. Can anyone tell me how much power my PC could consume in sleep-mode during an 8-hour period and should I be worried about the situation?

P.S: I use a Cooler Master MasterWatt 500 Lite.   

in sleep mode it should only be a few watts as all it does is keep your memory loaded up instead of dumping it. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

some people on other fora say that it pulls about 3-8 watts (for their pc). and one person calculated that If you pay 16 cents per kWh, that's 15 dollars per year.

~i5-7600k @5GHz ~Be Quiet! Dark rock 3 ~MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G ~Gigabyte GA-Z270-gaming K3 ~Corsair Vengeance Red led ~NZXT S340 Elite

Something like 5-10W is a decent estimate. Also dependent on what USB devices you have plugged in, as those remain powered.

5-10W for 8 hours is 40-80 Wh or 0.04-0.08 kWh. Let's say you pay $0.15 per kWh, that's $0.006-$0.012 per night. In a year, with it sleeping every single night, that would add up to $2.19-$4.38.

24 minutes ago, DannyTechTips said:

So instead it goes into sleep-mode. This worries me because there might be a significant increase in my electric bill.

P.S: I use a Cooler Master MasterWatt 500 Lite.   

Ähm....

If you are worried about the Electrical Bill, why don't you use a more efficient PSU??

Anyway: Depends on the Rest.

If you want to know it, get a Powermeter and measure it.

And depending on the Sleep mode (STR or STD) it is very little or the same as off w/o Pulling Plugs or switching switches.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

Only RAM and some motherboard features are kept alive in sleep mode, so the consumption is very low. No significant increase in electric bill.

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

2 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Ähm....

If you are worried about the Electrical Bill, why don't you use a more efficient PSU??

Anyway: Depends on the Rest.

If you want to know it, get a Powermeter and measure it.

And depending on the Sleep mode (STR or STD) it is very little or the same as off w/o Pulling Plugs or switching switches.

Power supply efficiency ratings only rate how efficient it is under significant load, not with the PC in sleep.

And in any case, the Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite is 80+ EU rated, meaning it's 85% efficient at 50% load. That's pretty decent efficiency. If your PC components draw 250W while gaming, then the power draw at the wall will be 294W. With an 80+ Gold rated PSU, it will be 272W in the EU or 278W in the US. The power savings compared to his unit being 16-22W, or 8-9%. Not really a big difference.

1 hour ago, Sakkura said:

Power supply efficiency ratings only rate how efficient it is under significant load, not with the PC in sleep.

Yes and you don't need to lecture me about PSU stuff.

I know that. But that wasn't the point.

And in any case, the Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite is 80+ EU rated, meaning it's 85% efficient at 50% load.

Yes and the good stuf is at somewhere around 93%

http://www.tweakpc.de/hardware/tests/netzteile/be_quiet_straight_power_11/s03.php

And before you come with the Price argument, even cheaper ones are around 92%:
http://www.tweakpc.de/hardware/tests/netzteile/bitfenix_formula_gold_450/s03.php

That's pretty decent efficiency.

That's pretty meh efficiency and legally required for PSU to be sold in a prebuilt system here in Europe.

If your PC components draw 250W while gaming, then the power draw at the wall will be 294W. With an 80+ Gold rated PSU, it will be 272W in the EU or 278W in the US. The power savings compared to his unit being 16-22W, or 8-9%. Not really a big difference.

It depends on the PSU, the curve and so on, but that's not the point.

The point is that the unit he has is not the right one, if you worry about the electrical bill. And the Bitfenix Formula isn't much more expensive.

Or take a Pure Power 10, 500 CM wich reaches 90% efficiency and is 'only' 80plus Silver...

And the 16-22W are a big difference if you worry about Electrical bills!
Far more than soft off vs. Suspend to RAM!

That was the Point I was trying to make.

40 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

And the 16-22W are a big difference if you worry about Electrical bills!

Far more than soft off vs. Suspend to RAM!

That was the Point I was trying to make.

A 16-22W difference at load is in the same range as what we're dealing with here, because a PC will usually be shut down or sleeping more than it's at load. OP has it in sleep mode for ~56 hours per week, I would say most gamers spend less time than that on gaming.

3 hours ago, Sakkura said:

And in any case, the Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite is 80+ EU rated, meaning it's 85% efficient at 50% load. That's pretty decent efficiency. If your PC components draw 250W while gaming, then the power draw at the wall will be 294W. With an 80+ Gold rated PSU, it will be 272W in the EU or 278W in the US. The power savings compared to his unit being 16-22W, or 8-9%. Not really a big difference.

Welcome to the case and power supply sub-forums.

It is true that the "80 PLUS" efficiency doesn't mean squat because they only test at 20%, 50% and 100% loads.

ErP has lower load efficiency requirements.   The Cooler Master is not Lot 6 compliant.  Only Lot 3.  If it was, it would ensure better standby efficiency.

Of course, at the end of the day people should look at proper PSU reviews or a database like cybenetics.com for low load efficiency test results instead of some random forum for a tech vlogger.  There, the OP will find that there is a lot of variance in stand by efficiency from one unit to the next.

Noone here truly knows what the OP's actual standby power consumption is because we don't know what the rest of the hardware is, what's plugged into USB using +5VSB power, the sleep state set in the BIOS, etc.

Regardless of power supply, if the OP is really concerned with power consumption while he sleeps, he should have his PC set to hibernate instead of going into sleep mode.  Hibernation uses literally ZERO power except for whatever is on the +5VSB.

1 hour ago, jonnyGURU said:

Of course, at the end of the day people should look at proper PSU reviews or a database like cybenetics.com for low load efficiency test results instead of some random forum for a tech vlogger.  There, the OP will find that there is a lot of variance in stand by efficiency from one unit to the next.

There are no reviews of OP's power supply AFAIK. I know the 80+ rating gets actual testing (albeit not necessarily rigorous), I don't know if that's the case for ErP. So I never put any stock in the latter certification.

Cooler Master would even like us to know the PSU has very low standby power, but... marketing is marketing, even if you get Kitguru to do it for you.

There are no reviews of OP's power supply AFAIK. I know the 80+ rating gets actual testing (albeit not necessarily rigorous), I don't know if that's the case for ErP. So I never put any stock in the latter certification.

Cooler Master would even like us to know the PSU has very low standby power, but... marketing is marketing, even if you get Kitguru to do it for you.

If a PSU doesn't get reviewed, it shouldn't be used.  If they're not willing to send units out for review, 99% of the time that's because they have something to hide. 

And yes.  A press release is not a review and should be taken with a grain of salt. 

5 hours ago, Sakkura said:

There are no reviews of OP's power supply AFAIK.

There are.

Look here:

https://www.computerbase.de/2017-07/cooler-master-cougar-xfx-zalman-netzteil-test/

As a Danish guy, you should be able to read that...

4 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

If a PSU doesn't get reviewed, it shouldn't be used.  If they're not willing to send units out for review, 99% of the time that's because they have something to hide. 

And yes.  A press release is not a review and should be taken with a grain of salt. 

Agreed, though there are exceptions...

Well, you see, that's the old version, CM said they did a second versiion with lower fan RPM...

And it looks that the Master Wat Lite is a bit better than Seasonic S12II-Bronze, although not by much...