Microsoft to replace defective Surface Pro 4 units which exhibit Screen Flickering [Update: Selectively issued refunds]

AlTech

Microsoft has promised to replace defective Surface Pro 4 units which exhibit screen flickering issues. Microsoft has stated that this cannot be fixed by a Firmware update and that affected devices will need to be replaced.

Microsoft has promised to foot the bill for replacing affected devices until October 2018. After this time, Microsoft may charge users if they wish to replace the device.

I'm very glad that Microsoft is addressing this as most if not all the affected devices are out of warranty. They totally didn't legally need to offer free replacement of affected devices but it's nice that they are.

Back in February, some Surface Pro 4 users began reporting some serious screen flickering issues that they were having. The issue was particularly troublesome for a couple of reasons. For one thing, it couldn't be fixed with a firmware update, and also, many of the devices experiencing the issue were no longer covered under warranty, forcing users to get expensive out-of-pocket repairs.

Today, Microsoft published a support document saying that it will replace Surface Pro 4 units that have the screen flickering issue for three years from the date of purchase. That means that if you bought your Pro 4 on launch day, which was October 26, 2015, you've still got five more months of coverage for this issue.

Customers who have already had this issue fixed prior to Microsoft paying for it are able to request a refund through customer support channels. 

But there's even more good news. If you had to pay for an out-of-warranty repair - which might have ran you up to $800 - Microsoft will be issuing you a refund. You can contact customer support for more information about that, so don't expect it to be automatic.

So yeah, great stuff that Microsoft is doing this.

I was personally affected by this issue and Microsoft originally kept quiet at the time. I did end up paying for a out of warranty replacement unit. I'm looking forward to getting the refund (for me that'd be £333) :)

Source: https://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-will-replace-surface-pro-4-pcs-with-screen-flickering-issues

[Update]

Today (May 27th 2018) I tried to contact support to try and get a refund since I was affected by this.

It would appear that the Microsoft Surface Support Team are only offering refunds to those who already paid for repair if the word "shifting" or "scrambled screen" or a description of an image moving up and down is given.

Even if customers experienced flickering, lines across the screen horizontally, or ghosting that is not satisfactory to obtain a refund. 

Which I think is complete bullshit.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Well that's awfully nice of em :P  

Primary Laptop (Gearsy MK4): Ryzen 9 5900HX, Radeon RX 6800M, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 24 GB DDR4 2400 Mhz, 512 GB SSD+1TB SSD, 15.6 in 300 Hz IPS display

2021 Asus ROG Strix G15 Advantage Edition

Secondary Laptop (Uni MK2): Ryzen 7 5800HS, Nvidia GTX 1650, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 16 GB DDR4 3200 Mhz, 512 GB SSD 

2021 Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 

Meme Machine (Uni MK1): Shintel Core i5 7200U, Nvidia GT 940MX, 24 GB DDR4 2133 Mhz, 256 GB SSD+500GB HDD, 15.6 in TN Display 

2016 Acer Aspire E5 575 

Retired Laptop (Gearsy MK2): Ryzen 5 2500U, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 12 GB 2400 Mhz DDR4, 256 GB NVME SSD, 15.6" 1080p IPS Touchscreen 

2017 HP Envy X360 15z (Ryzen)

PC (Gearsy): A6 3650, HD 6530D , 8 GB 1600 Mhz Kingston DDR3, Some Random Mobo Lol, EVGA 450W BT PSU, Stock Cooler, 128 GB Kingston SSD, 1 TB WD Blue 7200 RPM

HP P7 1234 (Yes It's Actually Called That)  RIP 

Also im happy to answer any Ryzen Mobile questions if anyone is interested! 

yeah, if there's no hidden clauses like *cough cough we all know which amazing company cough cough* then this is a pretty nice move.

Not sure how popular microsoft tablets are, i think it's more of a US thing, where they only get 12 months of warranty (24 in europe), so yeah, this is actually a very nice move from microsoft. 

congrats to them for fixing their shit for once.

Isn't it a shameful condition of society when a company honors a basic product warranty and we are all pleasantly surprised? like they've somehow gone one step beyond obligation. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

41 minutes ago, mr moose said:

like they've somehow gone one step beyond obligation.

They have....they are doing it outside of the normal warranty terms and even refunding people who paid for it in the past. There is absolutely no obligation to do so even if it was a manufacturer defect.

Plus with all the Microsoft hate on this forum, it's a nice change of pace

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

47 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Isn't it a shameful condition of society when a company honors a basic product warranty and we are all pleasantly surprised? like they've somehow gone one step beyond obligation. 

Except the warranty has expired for almost all of the affected devices if not all of them.

They had no legal obligation to do this. So yes it is nice :).

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

5 minutes ago, Sierra Fox said:

They have....they are doing it outside of the normal warranty terms and even refunding people who paid for it in the past. There is absolutely no obligation to do so even if it was a manufacturer defect.

Plus with all the Microsoft hate on this forum, it's a nice change of pace

2 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Except the warranty has expired for almost all of the affected devices if not all of them.

They had no legal obligation to do this. So yes it is nice :).

Warranty?  if the product is faulty from the get go and can't be used then warranty period means jack shit.  Obligation to stand behind a product you claim was the best and charged accordingly  shouldn't rely on common law.   A design fault is a design fault, not wear and tear.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

8 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Warranty?  if the product is faulty from the get go and can't be used then warranty period means jack shit.  Obligation to stand behind a product you claim was the best and charged accordingly  shouldn't rely on common law.   A design fault is a design fault, not wear and tear.

The point of a traditional warranty is to cover design faults more so than wear and tear though. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 minute ago, mr moose said:

But it wasn't there from the get go

3 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

Only just started happening. It's likely that after a few came in they discovered what was causing the issue and decided on this course of action.

If MS was as evil as people try to make them out to be, they could have kept quiet and kept charging for out of warranty service. 

A warranty against defects is not endless and will have a hard limit just like any regular warranty

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

24 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

The point of a traditional warranty is to cover design faults more so than wear and tear though. 

22 minutes ago, Sierra Fox said:

But it wasn't there from the get go

Only just started happening. It's likely that after a few came in they discovered what was causing the issue and decided on this course of action.

If MS was as evil as people try to make them out to be, they could have kept quiet and kept charging for out of warranty service. 

A warranty against defects is not endless and will have a hard limit just like any regular warranty

It's seems more like a design fault than wear and tear to me.  I would not expect issues like this to appear on any device in the first 5 years unless there was a design problem. This device is what? 3 years old tops?  In this case it appears to be a hardware issue that can be mitigated by putting it in the freezer (suggesting either a cooling issue or design defect in either a chip or the layout). 

Products only fail for one of three reasons (excluding external physical damage). 1. cheap product and poor quality. 2. general wear and tear or expected obsolescence or 3 design fault. I don't think this is 2 and it certainly isn't sold as 1 leaving 3.  And I personally believe warranty or not, if a company charges top dollar claiming the best of the best then they should be standing behind it for a reasonable period.   

48 minutes ago, mr moose said:

-snip-

unfortunately personal feelings are not covered under warranty.

they had no obligation to do what they did and they did it anyway

if a company charges top dollar claiming the best of the best then they should be standing behind it for a reasonable period.   

i mean...that's what they are doing, which again, they didn't have to

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

54 minutes ago, mr moose said:

It's seems more like a design fault than wear and tear to me.

Lets assume it was a design flaw, they still didn't have to replace them. 

They were under no obligation to do this other than to make sure they don't lose any customers because of the devices failing unexpectedly. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

9 minutes ago, Sierra Fox said:

unfortunately personal feelings are not covered under warranty.

they had no obligation to do what they did and they did it anyway

It's got nothing to do with warranty.  As an entity that sold a product under the premise that it is the best of the best, they should stand behind it and this shouldn't news to anyone.  It should be normal practice,  common decency dictates we honor our claims and support our products,  it should be no different for any company to do the same.

i mean...that's what they are doing, which again, they didn't have to

They shouldn't need to be forced to either, it should just be a matter of principal.  We shouldn't be surprised that they are doing it, we should expect it all the time from every company. 

Just now, DrMacintosh said:

Lets assume it was a design flaw, they still didn't have to replace them. 

They were under no obligation to do this other than to make sure they don't lose any customers because of the devices failing unexpectedly. 

Again, the obligation should be one of common decency not law.  That is my point. If a company charges top dollar for a product claiming it is the best then they should be fixing any issues that arise due to the nature of the product regardless of whether it comes under a stipulated warranty or not.  

3 years is not obsolete hardware, it should not fail in that time unless something happens too it.  That denotes a faulty product or a product not worthy of the price and quality they insinuate at sale. 

Again, the obligation should be one of common decency not law. 

They did this out of common decency.....if they didn't they could have lost customers 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

6 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

They did this out of common decency.....if they didn't they could have lost customers 

My point is we shouldn't be surprised, it shouldn't be news, it should be common practice  but it's not.  Nowadays it's more common for companies to have hidden clauses, scapegoats, loopholes and just outright dismissal or hiding of the fact the problem even exists.  

EDIT:  It's astounding to me that people think the warranty period has some intrinsic merit to it.  It shouldn't, if companies were honest and decent there would be no need for warranties at all.  To think some people are happy that if their $2000 laptop fails one week out of warranty they are happy to let it go and pay for the repair.     Fuck that, I grew up in a time when a lifetime warranty was exactly that,  for the life of the product, not tens years, not for the first owner. LIFE.

My point is we shouldn't be surprised, it shouldn't be news, it should be common practice  but it's not.  Nowadays it's more common for companies to have hidden clauses, scapegoats, loopholes and just outright dismissal or hiding of the fact the problem even exists.  

It should be news. This tells people they can continue doing business with Microsoft. 

This is news, these programs should always be news. Period. 

7 minutes ago, mr moose said:

They shouldn't need to be forced to either, it should just be a matter of principal. 

thats exactly what they are doing, they are not being forced.

9 minutes ago, mr moose said:

It's got nothing to do with warranty.  As an entity that sold a product under the premise that it is the best of the best, they should stand behind it and this shouldn't news to anyone.  It should be normal practice,  common decency dictates we honor our claims and support our products,  it should be no different for any company to do the same.

it should be, but that's not the world we live in. I'm just going to repeat my self for the 3rd time; they had NO obligation to do any of this free of cost AND issue refunds to those who have already paid, regardless of any laws, personal feelings, warranty terms, product support, manufacturer defects, normal wear and tear, customer negligence the list goes on.

common decency dictates we honor our claims and support our products,

then every company should have unlimited lifetime warranty on all things they make forever. but again, that's not the world we live in

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

7 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

It should be news. This tells people they can continue doing business with Microsoft. 

This is news, these programs should always be news. Period. 

No it shouldn't, it should happen all the time.  It should be news in the same way water is wet.

7 minutes ago, Sierra Fox said:

thats exactly what they are doing, they are not being forced.

it should be, but that's not the world we live in. I'm just going to repeat my self for the 3rd time; they had NO obligation to do any of this free of cost AND issue refunds to those who have already paid, regardless of any laws, personal feelings, warranty terms, product support, manufacturer defects, normal wear and tear, customer negligence the list goes on.

then every company should have unlimited lifetime warranty on all things they make forever. but again, that's not the world we live in

Your not getting it.  It's not about warranty, (I should never have used the word in my first post)  forget warranty, that is a legal definition of time dictated by consumer law.  If you buy a $2000 laptop it should be as good as a $2000 laptop, if it fails in 3 years it is not a $2000 laptop it is an Acer.  therefore if you pay for a $2000 laptop and you get Acer quality then the company should as a matter of common decency fix it for you (warranty or not).  That is what should happen all the time every time and we should not be surprised we should expect it.  

No it shouldn't, it should happen all the time.  It should be news in the same way water is wet.

Well it is news

get over it 

That is what should happen all the time every time and we should not be surprised we should expect it.  

correct, it SHOULD happen but it doesn't. therefore we SHOULD be surprised when a company DOES do it

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Just now, DrMacintosh said:

Well it is news

get over it 

If you have nothing to add then add nothing.

Anyone know which firmware update caused this, if it's a specific one that is?

So far my SP4 has exhibited none of these issues but now I'm slightly concerned.

New Build (The Compromise): CPU - i7 9700K @ 5.1Ghz Mobo - ASRock Z390 Taichi | RAM - 16GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200CL14 @ 3466 14-14-14-30 1T | GPU - ASUS Strix GTX 1080 TI | Cooler - Corsair h100i Pro | SSDs - 500 GB 960 EVO + 500 GB 850 EVO + 1TB MX300 | Case - Coolermaster H500 | PSUEVGA 850 P2 | Monitor - LG 32GK850G-B 144hz 1440p | OSWindows 10 Pro. 

Peripherals - Corsair K70 Lux RGB | Corsair Scimitar RGB | Audio-technica ATH M50X + Antlion Modmic 5 |

CPU/GPU history: Athlon 6000+/HD4850 > i7 2600k/GTX 580, R9 390, R9 Fury > i7 7700K/R9 Fury, 1080TI > Ryzen 1700/1080TI > i7 9700K/1080TI.

Other tech: Surface Pro 4 (i5/128GB), Lenovo Ideapad Y510P w/ Kali, OnePlus 6T (8G/128G), PS4 Slim.

1 minute ago, Sierra Fox said:

correct, it SHOULD happen but it doesn't. therefore we SHOULD be surprised when a company DOES do it

Which is why I said:

2 hours ago, mr moose said:

My whole point is it is disgraceful that consumers get excited because a company has done what they should be doing rather than the usual screwing us over.

2 minutes ago, Phentos said:

Anyone know which firmware update caused this, if it's a specific one that is?

So far my SP4 has exhibited none of these issues but now I'm slightly concerned.

It's not firmware, it's a hardware issue.  It'll either happen or it won't.