Clone laptop OS for a new PC

Go to solution Solved by LogicalDrm,

Laptop key won't work on desktop. Or it shouldn't. It's sold as part of system. You will need another key for desktop. Also do fresh install. Laptop drivers can cause issues.

I upgraded my laptop HDD into an SSD by migrating the Windows 10 and now I am building a new pc soon and I want to use that OS, can I migrate the windows 10 again for the second time into another SSD so that I can use it in my pc? I have windows 8.1 pro with license key I got it free from my school if this is possible ill use that windows 8.1 for my laptop. 

Could you? Probably, but you'd be dragging all of the settings, data, and everything else from your laptop to a new PC. I would highly recommend starting fresh with a clean install instead.

PC Specs:

CPU: AMD 1700x Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: Asus Crosshair VI Hero RAM: 4 * 8GB G.Skill RGB DDR4 Graphics: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 500GB Case: Fractal Design Meshify C PSU: EVGA 750w G3 Monitors: Dell SG2716DG +  2x Dell U2515H

Freenas specs:

CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2650 V2 Cooler: Some noctua cooler Motherboard: Supermicro X9 SRL-F RAM: 8 * 8GB Samsung DDR3 ECC Storage: 6 * 4TB Seagate 7200 RPM RAIDZ2 Controller: LSI H220 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro PSU: EVGA 650w G3

Phone: iPhone 6S 32 GB Space Grey

3 minutes ago, ThatFlashCat said:

Could you? Probably, but you'd be dragging all of the settings, data, and everything else from your laptop to a new PC. I would highly recommend starting fresh with a clean install instead.

Ok so i need to clean install the os first before migrating it. 

12 minutes ago, Sardz said:

Ok so i need to clean install the os first before migrating it. 

No.

If you wish to migrate, then you don't re-install. The migration brings verything over to the SSD. 

Pro: All your stuff is there

Con: So is all the cruft

If you do a fresh install, just do it on the SSD and don't worry about what's on the HDD

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Laptop key won't work on desktop. Or it shouldn't. It's sold as part of system. You will need another key for desktop. Also do fresh install. Laptop drivers can cause issues.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv