question with thermal take external drive enclosure

xdeathshot20

so i just bought this thermaltake external drive enclosure.  the blacx to be exact.  So i plugged it in to my pc and i put  a hard drive in.  So the hard drive does pop up but different depending on where i look.  under file explorer is pops up as a 95mb drive.  under disk management it pops up as a 4tb drive which is what it acually is. (wd purple 4tb)  i also downloaded some software called getdadaback and that also says that it is a 4tb drive.  now the acuall issues comes in when i go to access the drive using file manager it says i dont have permission to access this drive.  so how do i access the drive to see whats on it?  also could this drive be used in my gaming pc as mass storage since its main purpose is for a survance surver?  thanks

Current Rig=  AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, Asus Crosshair Hero VIII, EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ultra, 32gb Corsair Vengence Pro RGB 3000hz White, EVGA 750 P2 PSU, 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 500gb samsung 860 evo, 250GB Samsung 850 evo, 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus, 2TB seagate firecuda sshd,  LianLi PC 011 Dynamic XL ROG edition, Corsair h150i elite capelix

if you've used the drive before now, do you know what is on the drive?

Just now, Lenovo1984 said:

if you've used the drive before now, do you know what is on the drive?

no i pulled the drive out of an old survalance server.  Im going to end up formatting the drive but i wana know how to access the drive for future use when i use this product

Current Rig=  AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, Asus Crosshair Hero VIII, EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ultra, 32gb Corsair Vengence Pro RGB 3000hz White, EVGA 750 P2 PSU, 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 500gb samsung 860 evo, 250GB Samsung 850 evo, 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus, 2TB seagate firecuda sshd,  LianLi PC 011 Dynamic XL ROG edition, Corsair h150i elite capelix

1 minute ago, xdeathshot20 said:

no i pulled the drive out of an old survalance server.  Im going to end up formatting the drive but i wana know how to access the drive for future use when i use this product

Then it probably doesn't have a format your computer can recognize. Go into Disk Management and delete all partitions on the drive. Right click on the space labelled as "Unallocated" and make a new partition. 

21 minutes ago, Lenovo1984 said:

Then it probably doesn't have a format your computer can recognize. Go into Disk Management and delete all partitions on the drive. Right click on the space labelled as "Unallocated" and make a new partition. 

probably this.

the surveilance servers operating system was very likely not windows based but winodws does not understand a whole lot of non-microsoft filesystems (if any at all)

the drive could have been formatted to ext4, ext3, ext2, ReiserFS, HFS, XFS, Btrfs or whatever else windows simply does not know what to do with.

if the data currently on the drive is not important then i'd just delete all partitions, create a new one and format that partition to NTFS - then the drive should be detected properly and work as expected.